*UPDATE* True Setlist of This Is It the Movie (*spoilers* plz avoid this thread as much as possible)

Whether it is live or not..I only want to see Michael Perform..Who wants to argue/discuss then go ask Michael!!

It is not the original recording!! What ears do you have???

It is either prerecorded with new live vocals or it is live but it is 100% not the original Bad album vocal!!

Actually, it's neither live or pre-recorded with new live vocals (in my opinion) - it's a pitch-shifted version of the original Bad acapella, taken down a whole tone to Eb. I've uploaded a clip of the original acapella taken down to Eb and I'm sure you'll agree it sounds identical to the clip that's played in the trailers.

You can listen to the pitch-shifted acapella here:

http://www.electrictapemedia.com/video/TWYMMF-Eb-aca.mp3

Actually, it's neither live or pre-recorded with new live vocals (in my opinion) - it's a pitch-shifted version of the original Bad acapella, taken down a whole tone to Eb. I've uploaded a clip of the original acapella taken down to Eb and I'm sure you'll agree it sounds identical to the clip that's played in the trailers.

You are right.But also the timing is different between the vocals.Pretty weird isn't it?

I´ve compared and found differences!

For example listen at 0:44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZUwHHpqYH4&feature=player_embedded#

When he sings " turn " sounds different than on your audio clip. "turn" sounds more raw pressed. But of course the difference is very small makes you wonder really strange-and again strange is why did they leave the vocal part out???

Last edited:
You are right.But also the timing is different between the vocals.Pretty weird isn't it?

Yeah, it is weird and the first time I saw the "cue" clip it really threw me. Two possible reasons for it are as follows: I imagine if MJ was rehearsing to a pre-recorded vocal track, he wouldn't even bother to mime some of the lyrics (it's just a rehearsal), hence why there are bits of the extended clip with no lead vocal. If he's not moving his lips on screen, the vocal track will have been edited out. However, you're right in that even some moments are slightly different timing-wise to the studio recording, and I imagine the reason for that is to sync it up with MJ's lips, either because he's singing live on that rehearsal and KO has opted for the pre-recorded version and has to make it fit, or MJ isn't miming very accurately at certain points.

It's basically only the line "you really turn me ON" that it's relevant on (in the longer "cue" clip), which did throw me first time I viewed the extended clip.

Kenny Ortega is clearly trying to make MJ sound as good as he possibly can on these clips, as evidenced by the tinkering with the Human Nature clips. He doesn't want people watching to figure out or even suspect that MJ was lip-syncing, as it might appear as if his intentions for London were to fool the public. However, it's very easily done in post production; I could very easily make an identical vocal track to fit with the extended TWYMMF clip.

Yeah you are right.I guess we'll have to see the full thing to convince ourselfs.

Yeah, it is weird and the first time I saw the "cue" clip it really threw me. Two possible reasons for it are as follows: I imagine if MJ was rehearsing to a pre-recorded vocal track, he wouldn't even bother to mime some of the lyrics (it's just a rehearsal), hence why there are bits of the extended clip with no lead vocal. If he's not moving his lips on screen, the vocal track will have been edited out. However, you're right in that even some moments are slightly different timing-wise to the studio recording, and I imagine the reason for that is to sync it up with MJ's lips, either because he's singing live on that rehearsal and KO has opted for the pre-recorded version and has to make it fit, or MJ isn't miming very accurately at certain points.

It's basically only the line "you really turn me ON" that it's relevant on (in the longer "cue" clip), which did throw me first time I viewed the extended clip.

Kenny Ortega is clearly trying to make MJ sound as good as he possibly can on these clips, as evidenced by the tinkering with the Human Nature clips. He doesn't want people watching to figure out or even suspect that MJ was lip-syncing, as it might appear as if his intentions for London were to fool the public. However, it's very easily done in post production; I could very easily make an identical vocal track to fit with the extended TWYMMF clip.

One question. If the intention was to fool the public why didn´t he and Michael prerecorded with new vocals why take the same vocal as on the Bad album why not take an outtake from the Bad Session the public hasn´t heard???

I´ve compared and found differences!

For example listen at 0:44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZUwHHpqYH4&feature=player_embedded#

When he sings "turn" sounds different than on your audio clip. "turn" sounds more raw pressed. But of course the difference is very small makes you wonder really strange-and again strange is why did they leave the vocal part out???

You're right Arty. Would you agree that's basically the only difference? I understand you have a reputation on here RE: your feelings on live vocals (as if it's a controversial POV to have!), so I'm interested to hear your opinion on this one.

I do have a theory to explain this, which I've sort of touched on above. I imagine one possible solution is that MJ in the red shirt is singing live, and for continuity, Ortega opted to use the one audio track. In fact, you'll notice the sound doesn't change between shots as it does during the extended Human Nature performance, so he's definitely using one audio performance.

If so, then if the red-shirt Michael phrases a certain chorus differently, then an editor would need to tweak the acapella to fit the image on screen. I'll try and tweak that acapella so that it matches, to prove my point, but my acapella has some clicks and things that might make it impossible to do effectively, whereas of course MJ will be using an immaculate studio original.

One question. If the intention was to fool the public why didn´t he and Michael prerecorded with new vocals why take the same vocal as on the Bad album why not take an outtake from the Bad Session the public hasn´t heard???

I don't know, but surely you could say the same for any one of the songs mimed on the HIStory tour? Especially the likes of the Off the Wall medley, Billie Jean, etc?

I always thought if MJ insisted on lip-syncing, he should at least re-record some new vocal tracks; apparently he didn't consider it a priority. Even at MSG, almost 20 years after Billie Jean, he was still using the same original master.

EDIT to say: the phrase "fool the public" is just how I think Kenny Ortega might have reckoned it would be interpreted by the media, etc. I'm not trying to open the whole "is it wrong to lip-sync?" can of worms.

I don't know, but surely you could say the same for any one of the songs mimed on the HIStory tour? Especially the likes of the Off the Wall medley, Billie Jean, etc?

I always thought if MJ insisted on lip-syncing, he should at least re-record some new vocal tracks; apparently he didn't consider it a priority. Even at MSG, almost 20 years after Billie Jean, he was still using the same original master.

Yeah but if the intention was to fool people he failed by using the album vocals.

If my intention was to fool somebody I would definatley take another vocal track.

Has somebody ever asked Michael what his opinion is when it comes to lyp-syncing???

Yeah but if the intention was to fool people he failed by using the album vocals.

If my intention was to fool somebody I would definatley take another vocal track.

Has somebody ever asked Michael what his opinion is when it comes to lyp-syncing???

I doubt anybody ever had the balls! I imagine it was something of an embarrassing conversation: "so Michael, why won't you sing Man in the Mirror live, except for the outro where it becomes most vocally challenging? And why won't you sing Heal the World live?".

(Can open... worms everywhere... :bugeyed)

Incidentally, in case you or anyone else is interested - I had a go at a new edit of the TWYMMF acapella with that slight difference you picked up on. It's not perfect but then I spent two minutes on it, and am no editing whiz.

http://www.electrictapemedia.com/video/TWYMMF-3.mp3

You're right Arty. Would you agree that's basically the only difference? I understand you have a reputation on here RE: your feelings on live vocals (as if it's a controversial POV to have!), so I'm interested to hear your opinion on this one.

I do have a theory to explain this, which I've sort of touched on above. I imagine one possible solution is that MJ in the red shirt is singing live, and for continuity, Ortega opted to use the one audio track. In fact, you'll notice the sound doesn't change between shots as it does during the extended Human Nature performance, so he's definitely using one audio performance.

If so, then if the red-shirt Michael phrases a certain chorus differently, then an editor would need to tweak the acapella to fit the image on screen. I'll try and tweak that acapella so that it matches, to prove my point, but my acapella has some clicks and things that might make it impossible to do effectively, whereas of course MJ will be using an immaculate studio original.

Very good points. And I´ve to agree with you the "Turn" part is the only difference I´ve heard and I´ve checked really carefully on high volume to find out any difference in pronouncing etc.
I´m really looking forward for your "tweak-job"

I doubt anybody ever had the balls! I imagine it was something of an embarrassing conversation: "so Michael, why won't you sing Man in the Mirror live, except for the outro where it becomes most vocally challenging? And why won't you sing Heal the World live?".

(Can open... worms everywhere... :bugeyed)

Incidentally, in case you or anyone else is interested - I had a go at a new edit of the TWYMMF acapella with that slight difference you picked up on. It's not perfect but then I spent two minutes on it, and am no editing whiz.

http://www.electrictapemedia.com/video/TWYMMF-3.mp3

Good work I think you are on the right track with your audio!!!

Not having the balls... I thought the media always picked on everything to hurt him.

Another point if you say Kenny´s intention was to fool the public. He did fool the public!! He said many times on national TV that MJ was 100% singing live and we all know by now it is nothing but a lie! Even right after the They don´t care about clip he said that was 100% live singing.....makes you real wonder

Stop the speculation, watch the whole movie and then give your opinion about it!!
Millions of hard-core fans didn't have the chance to see Michael LIVE, this will be the closet sensation of being in a concert that will have.
I'm happy to see him doing the best Michael does, BEING A SHOWMAN, GIVING US SO MUCH L.O.V.E!! DON't ARRUIN THE SURPRISE 'N THE MAGIC OF TII :rant:

It is not the original recording!! What ears do you have???

It is either prerecorded with new live vocals or it is live but it is 100% not the original Bad album vocal!!

I don't have to respond right ? :popcorn:

i read somewhere that dirty diana, heal the world, and we are the world were suppose to be rehearsed on the day he passed away. is this true?

I found this in an article in another thread.

"We were just a couple of numbers away," Ortega says. "We were ready for Michael to step into 'Dirty Diana.' He'd already been part of the conceptualization of the number. On the afternoon of the day he died, he was going to step into the number. And then we still had to do the 'We are the World' and the 'Heal the World' sequence. We had the skeleton, but we were going to put those together in London because there were children's choirs involved." Other than that, Ortega says, Jackson had rehearsed everything and can now be seen doing so.

It was all going to come together on June 25th, what a shame :(

How last minute was this all put together! They worked Michael far too hard! If they had more months and time to prepare for this, he would not have been so stressed and would have had more time to sleep. :(

I wish these concerts never, ever happened. Michael would still be here. :(

wow so 100% confirmation no You Rock My World was to ever be rehersed :(

I would have LOVED to go to see him live but had been slightly dissapointed as I love Invinicble and YOu Rock My World!

I think it bowled down to dangerous vs. you rock my world, and Michael loves performing dangerous.
I am just speculating but then it would be a lot of songs along those lines.
Smooth Criminal, Dangerous, You Rock My World....

Dirty Diana was performed, but not in full flow with the flaming bed (that was meant for the 26th), but Heal The World was. It was, in fact, the last song he ever sung. The HTW Dome Project is being shown after the credits, according to MKGenie.

Dirty Diana was performed, but not in full flow with the flaming bed (that was meant for the 26th), but Heal The World was. It was, in fact, the last song he ever sung. The HTW Dome Project is being shown after the credits, according to MKGenie.

Wow..how fitting. He always said it was his favorite song and the one he would choose if he could only sing one song his entire life. This makes me feel a bit sad and happy at the same time. Heal the World...I wish we could revive his foundation somehow for the future generations..

Stop the speculation, watch the whole movie and then give your opinion about it!!
Millions of hard-core fans didn't have the chance to see Michael LIVE, this will be the closet sensation of being in a concert that will have.
I'm happy to see him doing the best Michael does, BEING A SHOWMAN, GIVING US SO MUCH L.O.V.E!! DON't ARRUIN THE SURPRISE 'N THE MAGIC OF TII :rant:

...who is this aimed at? If this is to do with the original post, I think the spoiler warning on the thread title is quite emphatic...?

How last minute was this all put together! They worked Michael far too hard! :(

That's possible, but Michael agreed to the opening night schedule. "They" can't really be blamed.

I think it bowled down to dangerous vs. you rock my world, and Michael loves performing dangerous.
I am just speculating but then it would be a lot of songs along those lines.
Smooth Criminal, Dangerous, You Rock My World....

What's the connection between YRMW and Dangerous? Musically there are almost no similarities that I can think of, at all. Performance wise, there are almost no similarities (comparing the MSG performance to the Dangerous performances). There's also no similarities between Smooth Criminal and YRMW, that I can think of. What am I missing?

What's the connection between YRMW and Dangerous? Musically there are almost no similarities that I can think of, at all. Performance wise, there are almost no similarities (comparing the MSG performance to the Dangerous performances). There's also no similarities between Smooth Criminal and YRMW, that I can think of. What am I missing?

I think it's the gangster theme in the YRMW and SC videos and MJ used that too for the Dangerous performances.

Back