*UPDATE* True Setlist of This Is It the Movie (*spoilers* plz avoid this thread as much as possible)

Re: *UPDATE* True Setlist of This Is It the Movie (performances mentioned)

As far as I can remember

14、Earth Song (partially live)

16、Man in the Mirror (partially live)
QUOTE]

When you say those two are "partially live", do you mean that they're playback until the adlibs at the end? Thanks for the info.

Mkgenie

Does MJ launch out of the floor during JAM? or is this only done by his backup dancers?

Me and my friends are debating this!! They think he was too old too, lol..

Sure, MJ didn't dance on every track.
BUT the point is Michael Jackson is celebrated as being a great dancer, and as a dancer he was incredibly influential. That is why shows like America's Best Dance Crew are dedicated to Mike. In the most recent episode of 'Strictly Come Dancing' in the UK, the host announced a tribute to the 'great singer and dancer'!. It is why 'Diversity' (a dance group) did an MJ tribute during the Mobos. It is why all the top choreographers joined Janet in her MJ tribute at the VMAs. It is why the BBC are running a new programme to find the best MJ dancer. Fred Astair even acknowledged Mike's dancing ability. Michael Jackson as a dancer is right up their with the dancing greats. To think he isn't is just crazy!

Exactly. Michael is credited with innovating popular music dancing. As has been said before, there was no big choreographed dance numbers done in music before MJ... it is everywhere now - britney, beyonce etc. all the current artists.You can see MJs dance influence in the artists of today when you watch them perform. He took influence from the greats before him, from different genres, he took the best from the best and blended it together with his own moves to create his own thing..and you can see his influences in what he does. I just love to watch him feeling the music - in tapes right from when he was a little boy before J5 fame you can see it was natural for him. So sweet dancing like a little James Brown.

Hmm ...I still don´t really know what you mean with partially live.

If you say for example Human Nature is partially live does it mean the performance is a montage from various Human Nature performances that were all sung live??
If it´s so than in the end the performance of Human Nature was 100% live only edited together. So what does partially live mean??Does it mean they show one clip where he is singing live and another clip where he is miming and than another clip where he is singing live again and than another clip where he is miming and so on and edited all together into one song like Human Nature.
umm, partially live means he sings part of the song live,and lip synchs the other part. You know, like Man in the Mirror at the grammy awards...

Mkgenie, Just to bring it to your attention again:)

-I have some more questions:
The songs that weren't live (or partially live).. did they use the original album vocals (like they did with the HIStory Tour) and then Michael playbacked to them??
it seems to

-What about the documentary itself? You said it wasn't great, but... does it have any great MJ images of him talking, laughing, playing around?

yes!

I'm so excited about this.. it sounds great. But wait.. no Who Is It after all?

no. sorry

umm, partially live means he sings part of the song live,and lip synchs the other part. You know, like Man in the Mirror at the grammy awards...

I know but on songs like Human Nature, J5 medley, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin?? He never mimed these songs not even during the history concerts when he had voice problems

Hmm I just can´t believe he would sing 2 minutes of Human Nature live and the last 2 minutes miming. Its really strange.The J5 medley was always live. Why would he sing one part live and another part playback?

It would really sound odd if MJ sings the first part of Human Nature live and for the last part a playback runs with the original vocals from the Thriller Album.

Last edited:

1、Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (partially live)
2、Speechless (live)
3、Jam (partially live)
4、They Don't Really Care About Us (not live) / Drill (short) (green screen) / Bad (not live) (short) (green screen)
5、Human Nature (almost live)
6、Smooth Criminal (almost not live)
7、The Way You Make Me Feel (live)
8、Jackson 5 Medley: I Want You Back, The Love You Save, I'll Be There (partially live)
9、Dance and Shout (not live, just dance)
10、I Just Can't Stop Loving You (live)
11、Thriller (not live) / Threatened (not live)
12、Beat It (live)
13、Black or White (not live)
14、Earth Song (partially live)
15、Billie Jean (live)
16、Man in the Mirror (partially live)
17、This Is It (recording)

so only 5 songs out of 17 MJ was singing the whole song live. Not so bad as in the History Concerts but again not so many live songs as in the dangerous concerts.ANd this is just a rehearsal. In the Dangerous rehearsals MJ was singing 100% live(only smooth criminal was playback). And in the actual Dangerous Concert 50% was mimed. If MJ was miming so many songs even in the This is it rehearsals I think in the actual This is it Concerts he would´ve mimed as much as in the history concerts.

This is the reason why Sony cannot release a Live Album because they don´t have much material to fill an album.

Last edited:

Hmm I just can´t believe he would sing 2 minutes of Human Nature live and the last 2 minutes miming. Its really strange.The J5 medley was always live. Why would he sing one part live and another part playback?

It would really sound odd if MJ sings the first part of Human Nature live and for the last part a playback runs with the original vocals from the Thriller Album.

I guess you will just have to see on OCTOBER 28TH (or whenever you get tickets for it)!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE just wait until then to find out! Cause this "which ones are live, which ones arent, how many out of 17, other artists sang live more than MJ, he didn't tour that much" thing is really putting a damper on the situation...

Mkgenie

Does MJ launch out of the floor during JAM? or is this only done by his backup dancers?

Me and my friends are debating this!! They think he was too old too, lol..

Only his dancers did this.

I'm just summising from what mkgenie has told us, but, given that these performances are edited together from different stages of the rehearsal process, maybe early on they were simply mapping out the routines along to the album version, before the band got involved and MJ sang AND danced?

Just a guess though.

Only his dancers did this.

This doesn't surprise me, after all the "toaster" was MJ's big entrance for the Dangerous tour, by song 2 or 3 of TII (or wherever in the setlist Jam was positioned) he would already have taken to the stage so the surprise element is gone (like with Scream on the HIStory tour).

MJ entered stage via MJ Air.... hence no need for toaster for MJ himself

I'm just summising from what mkgenie has told us, but, given that these performances are edited together from different stages of the rehearsal process, maybe early on they were simply mapping out the routines along to the album version, before the band got involved and MJ sang AND danced?

Just a guess though.

I just hope they don´t have edited to death. I mean for example 3 different rehearsal footages for one song edited together I don´t mind. But it would ruin everything if they edited 4-6 different rehearsals into one song.

I will enjoy the movie I don´t expect very much-I ´m most looking forward for the 5 live songs.. And I will of course buy the DVD.

But for me it´s very clear that a 50 year old cannot perform or sing like a 20 year old.
For me the Victory, Bad 88 MJ was the best live performer in the world.

As much as I love James Brown, prince etc. I think Victory MJ and Bad88 MJ is on another level the greatest of them all!!

So while I buy the This is it DVD I really really hope the Estate will release MJ DVDs where we could see him on top like Triumph Victory and Bad 88 Concerts DVD. In these Concerts he was singing live and performing like a young god.
Its just so sad that he didn´t perform Black or White live. It was always a wish for me to hear him sing this song live one more time( he only sung it live during one Concert). Hmm he sings Beat it live but not Black or white?? Why?? Is Black or white much harder to sing than Beat it?? Any vocal experts on the board??

Last edited:

I guess you will just have to see on OCTOBER 28TH (or whenever you get tickets for it)!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE just wait until then to find out!

I will take your advice and wait. I think its the best thing I can do.I´ll not read further information about the movie.

Don't you think it's odd his tracklist is different from the official one ?

Great setlist:D but where is another part of me!!

In the Dangerous rehearsals MJ was singing 100% live(only smooth criminal was playback).

Smooth Criminal wasnt playback on the Dangerous rehearsals :S

At some point in the rehearsal stages MJ would of sung every song live just to see if it would work. Once decided what was going to be sung live, partially live or lip synched they would start rehearsing the songs like they would be done when it came to show time.

Im sure it was the same for Dangerous rehearsals, im sure in the latter stages of the rehearsals songs like Smooth Criminal and Jam would be lip synched just like they were on the actual tour.

We are just lucky that the Dangerous rehearsals we have take place before the latter stages.

Its just so sad that he didn´t perform Black or White live. It was always a wish for me to hear him sing this song live one more time( he only sung it live during one Concert)

Wait a minute. Exactly which concert did he sing live BoW? O___o

They are not real stage costume, just his daily costume.

The dress rehearsal with full costume include: Earth Song, Smooth Criminal

Maybe that's all.

He didn't even wear billie jean 'costume'

what a pity.

I see. I guess it is a pity. But then again, we would probably be asking for too much to expect that after dying all of a sudden..we would get a perfect and complete two-hour concert on film. We're lucky these rehearsals were even filmed to this extent..we shouldn't forget that..

I think one of the most important things that the fans need to remember as well as the non fans around the world is that what we will see on October 28 is not the THIS IS IT concert or anything near the final performance. It is simply MJ and crew putting it together and working on it. There is quite a big difference between a final MJ performance and simply him practicing in regular outfits and not to his maximum potential..both vocally and physically. It's him just going through the motions as is evident in past rehearsal footage. I just hope that the world doesn't see this and think that is what they were going to see live...especially with some of those silly costumes that he was wearing..

Last edited:

Wait a minute. Exactly which concert did he sing live BoW? O___o

Yeah, I don't remember that either. I thought that the only song he sang live from any album starting with Dangerous was "Gone too soon" at the Clinton inauguration.

In the Dangerous rehearsals MJ was singing 100% live(only smooth criminal was playback). And in the actual Dangerous Concert 50% was mimed. If MJ was miming so many songs even in the This is it rehearsals I think in the actual This is it Concerts he would´ve mimed as much as in the history concerts..

The rehearsals from This It It are at a far, far more advanced stage compared to the Dangerous Tour rehearsals, by the time MJ came round to chosing what to do live etc, its the footage we've seen, just like with the Dangerous Tour, he obviously chose songs to lipsync and assume when he did a full rehearsal, he did.

he sung BOW live in Munich I believe also or sang over the backing track

It seems that the media totally overlooked the fact that MJ was lyp-syncing the whole History Concert. Otherwise they would have criticize him very much.

I´m really afraid that they will criticize him this time.What do you think?

I mean movie critics from around the world will see the movie and write a review. So they will go into every detail and maybe criticize the lyp-syncing.
Do you think the average movie goer will even notice the lyp-syncing??

I think you guys should stop asking questions! lets just wait and watch what michael has prepared for us!

When they say live album I can understand if it's still his voice just with the THIS IS IT productions of the songs. For instance didn't he RE RECORD some songs to make it sound like he was recording live? I know on the 30th anniversary special he was lip syncing, but the tunes sounded different from his usual albm masters.

Nothing from Off The Wall...that's too bad. I haven't seen him perform one of his greatest songs, Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough, since the Victory tour.

It seems that the media totally overlooked the fact that MJ was lyp-syncing the whole History Concert. Otherwise they would have criticize him very much.

I´m really afraid that they will criticize him this time.What do you think?

I mean movie critics from around the world will see the movie and write a review. So they will go into every detail and maybe criticize the lyp-syncing.
Do you think the average movie goer will even notice the lyp-syncing??

He lip-synched at the 30th anniversary special in New-York, and most media commentators didn't comment on it. It seems most didn't notice it, or didn't care.

He lip-synched at the 30th anniversary special in New-York, and most media commentators didn't comment on it. It seems most didn't notice it, or didn't care.

I'm going with the latter...

Back