*UPDATE* True Setlist of This Is It the Movie (*spoilers* plz avoid this thread as much as possible)

Re: *UPDATE* True Setlist of This Is It the Movie (performances mentioned)

so then the DVD should contain more rehearsals right?

You joined here in Aug 09. You obviously dont know which posters here are reliable, which is fair enough, how are you supposed to know unless someone tells you.

Let me tell you, mkgenie is a legit poster :)

I believe you. When you say he is reliable I trust you. I just find it odd that mkgenie thinks its a spoiler when he tells us a few details about MJ´s live singing.I mean since when it is a secret if a singer is singing live?? Did I miss something?? It´s like asking on an David Copperfield fanboard" Was he doing magic tricks?" Insider" I cannot answer - I would spoil to much."..Yeah????
But I´m patient(even if it´´s hard I would love to know if songs like Man in the Mirror,Jam, Smooth Criminal, Earth Song were sung live). Maybe mkgenie comes back and gives us more details if not -no problem in a few days we all know the answer.

Last edited:

I hope mkgenie's set list is right because I'm more excited about seeing this now than I've been since it was announced. So glad I got tickets for 2 showings. :)

As far as I can remember

1、Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (partially live)
2、Speechless (live)
3、Jam (partially live)
4、They Don't Really Care About Us (not live) / Drill (short) (green screen) / Bad (not live) (short) (green screen)
5、Human Nature (almost live)
6、Smooth Criminal (almost not live)
7、The Way You Make Me Feel (live)
8、Jackson 5 Medley: I Want You Back, The Love You Save, I'll Be There (partially live)
9、Dance and Shout (not live, just dance)
10、I Just Can't Stop Loving You (live)
11、Thriller (not live) / Threatened (not live)
12、Beat It (live)
13、Black or White (not live)
14、Earth Song (partially live)
15、Billie Jean (live)
16、Man in the Mirror (partially live)
17、This Is It (recording)

As far as I can remember

2、Speechless (live)
3、Jam (partially live)
4、They Don't Really Care About Us (not live) / Drill (short) (green screen) / Bad (not live) (short) (green screen)
8、Jackson 5 Medley: I Want You Back, The Love You Save, I'll Be There (partially live)
12、Beat It (live)
15、Billie Jean (live)

Thank you very much!!!

But I may be wrong about one or two. I don't have sharp ear and I just saw it once.

As far as I can remember

2、Speechless (live)
3、Jam (partially live)
12、Beat It (live)
15、Billie Jean (live)

Hey mkgenie this is interesting info.. thanks..

Question for ya... What do you mean by "almost live" and "almost not live" for Human Nature and Smooth Criminal? I dont understand..

Also I find it weird that not ALL of the J5 medley and WBSS are live....

Any thoughts mkgenie?

But I may be wrong about one or two. I don't have sharp ear and I just saw it once.

Thanks for you information. Was his voice in good shape?? The last time he was singing a couple of songs was in 2001 MSG.

Do you think the movie will be a huge boxoffice hit?? Do you believe non MJ fans -the average movie goer will enjoy the movie??

How was the sound at the cinema?? Did they play it loud??

That's a lot of live content though! Esp. compared to the most recent concerts/performances.

I'm gonna love this movie. It'll be heartbreaking, but it should also be an incredible experience.

Thanks mkgenie.

We know this almost as a fact - he didn't mime the majority. By default, the singing we could say is therefore better than the HIStory tour. One could assume it's on the level of the Dangerous Tour (from what mkgenie can remember).

It's great to discuss this to some extent, but hey, it might be an idea for users here to possibly leave themselves some elements of surprise when you walk into the theatre in 4 weeks time. Just a thought.

Question for ya... What do you mean by "almost live" and "almost not live" for Human Nature and Smooth Criminal? I dont understand..

Any thoughts mkgenie?

You´re right! Mj was always singing the J5 medley live. It would be strange to hear him sing the first part live and then a playback.

One last question at least for today:)

What was your favourite performance. YOu don´t need to give details. Please just name the song you liked the most

On "Human Nature": from the clips we saw they were all sung live, even the more formal transition at the end. I love this song, and I got a good feeling most of this one will be live :)

On "Human Nature": from the clips we saw they were all sung live, even the more formal transition at the end. I love this song, and I got a good feeling most of this one will be live :)

You´re absolutley right. The parts we have seen were 100% live. It would be very odd if he sings 90% of Human Nature live and the last 30 seconds comes a playback-Hmm this
doesn´t make any sense at all............WHy would MJ choose to sing a song 50% live and the other 50% playback?? On songs like Human Nature, J5 medley or WBSS?? Very strange.

Thanks for you information. Was his voice in good shape?? The last time he was singing a couple of songs was in 2001 MSG.

Do you think the movie will be a huge boxoffice hit?? Do you believe non MJ fans -the average movie goer will enjoy the movie??

How was the sound at the cinema?? Did they play it loud??

very good shape.

I think its a great concert movie. Some sets and concepts are just spectacular.
but not a real good documentary: the storyline, if it should have any, is weak.

I think at the cinema, the sound would be so great.

Any thoughts mkgenie?

maybe I should use "partially" ,haha

J5 medley was almost a sound check. you know. Mike complained about his earphone.

One last question at least for today:)

What was your favourite performance. YOu don´t need to give details. Please just name the song you liked the most

I love all the Dome Project parts

God, its amazing and incredible!

cant wait to see them again and again.

The ending part of "I just cant stop loving you" is also amazing (BTW, Mike sang a few lines of Spanish version of the song to director Kenny before he actually rehearsed the song, SO CUTE!), as well as Earth Song ending, the alternative demo version, I'm not sure if its live.

and the way you make me feel, wow, and the accapella of Speechless, wow again (I guess I'm just dying to hear songs from Invincible).

Haha, nice info. Thanks!!!

As always, my biggest interest is the dancing from Billie Jean... any thoughts?

And interesting that you say the storyline is weak... is there much behind the scenes stuff like reviewing costume designs, fittings, talking, instructing etc? Or mainly videos of him performing?

Great, thans for all the info mkgenie!

-I have some more questions:
The songs that weren't live (or partially live).. did they use the original album vocals (like they did with the HIStory Tour) and then Michael playbacked to them??

-What about the documentary itself? You said it wasn't great, but... does it have any great MJ images of him talking, laughing, playing around?

I'm so excited about this.. it sounds great. But wait.. no Who Is It after all??

Last edited:

Well, I know for sure that I will be leaving the cinema crying..... Better bring a lot of kleenex.....

very good shape.

mkgenie, thanks for being so great and answering all of our questions. :)

Do you think that you watched the final version or could there be more editing and changes to come? If I remember correctly, the final cut of the movie needs to be shown to the estate/family in the next few weeks.

You said it wasn't a good documentary format, but a great concert? Do you think then it should have just been all concert?

The lip-syncing vs. live singing debate has been done a lot on this board, as well as others. And that's why some people get upset. However, I don't see the harm in discussing it in here because everyone is wondering if he switched things up for this tour or not. The setlist is very similar to the HIStory tour and I'm sure many, myself included, are wondering if it was similar to that or if he revamped it at all and included more live vocals.

I don't see why people get their ruffles so easily around here.

Great post!

very good shape.

This suits me fine. I didn't want another documentary anyway :)

i have a question, by saying, he will blow us away, in the ending of i just cant stop loving you, do u mean vocally?.....

also, did you see the new move michael was working on? are we going too see any suprises during the billie jean performance?

mkgenie, thanks for being so great and answering all of our questions. :)

Do you think that you watched the final version or could there be more editing and changes to come? If I remember correctly, the final cut of the movie needs to be shown to the estate/family in the next few weeks.

You said it wasn't a good documentary format, but a great concert? Do you think then it should have just been all concert?

I think it was the first or second draft....

mkgenie, is there any footage from the memorial or the funeral in the movie? And if so, do you remember when it comes up? Cos I don't think I can watch that, so I want to be prepared.

A few pages back MKGenie stated that there is no memorial or funeral footage in the film...

MKgenie. . . sorry, one more question! :)

In your opinion, did Michael still have the moves?

I thought Michael still looked very energetic in the trailer and clips we've seen.

Argh. . . I feel like you've opened pandora's box for us and now I want to know everything. LOL! But I was never really one to care about spoilers. i want to know!

You are so lucky!

A few pages back MKGenie stated that there is no memorial or funeral footage in the film...
Okay. Thanks. I did go back a few pages, I must have missed that.

Back