Timbaland working on MJ tracks?

I am willing to give it a chance because I want to have an open mind about this. With Michael not here nothing will ever be the same again but Michael was always about the future and wasn't afraid to try new things. As long as he is respected and the focus on him then I will be happy. I have liked different works by Timbaland. He does put his little flare into it but he always seems to focus on who the artist is. For example, Nelly Furtado or Justin Timberlake. Even though Michael doesn't have to prove anything anymore I would love to see a hit song or something. He deserves it. He deserves to be celebrated. I have seen it with Elvis and the Beatles so why not Michael? I feel they are taking this seriously because they know this is Michael Jackson. Hopefully mistakes in the past have been learned from.

Last edited:
I don't get why so many are speaking negatively about Tricky's version of Slave to the Rhythm... I loved it! And just about everyone I played it for didn't understand why it wasn't on the radio!

Was there another version I'm unaware of?? (Besides the bieber leak)...

I don't get why so many are speaking negatively about Tricky's version of Slave to the Rhythm... I loved it! And just about everyone I played it for didn't understand why it wasn't on the radio!

Was there another version I'm unaware of?? (Besides the bieber leak)...

The production of it is very weak. Awful composition and wrong choice of sounds. MJ loved building a song consisting of layers, which makes the record sounds 'big', something that was totally absent on the 'Michael' project.

Timbaland understands the use of layers. Just take some time to study his productions.

STTR deserves to have a so called 'fat' production,

He does put his little flare into it but he always seems to focus on who the artist is. For example, Nelly Furtado or Justin Timberlake.

Yas! Nelly Furtados album LOOSE album is SOO good. Timbaland did the whole album except 3 or 4 songs.

At the time, people thought she was like selling out or something. Meanwhile, she always had this sort of poppy, r&b side to her. I've listened to that album so many times. One of Timbalands finest works.

The production of it is very weak. Awful composition and wrong choice of sounds. MJ loved building a song consisting of layers, which makes the record sounds 'big', something that was totally absent on the 'Michael' project.

Timbaland understands the use of layers. Just take some time to study his productions.

STTR deserves to have a so called 'fat' production,

Like how the Bad Wembley mix should be? It needs to be powerful through layers. I know Michael didn't always want that, but he did a lot of the time and it turned out amazing. Really makes his work so unique from a lot of others.

Maybe, maybe not. Michael had Hold My Hand and Another Day, both had been leaked. The Way You Love Me or whatever was already previously available, so I don't know if we should entirely rule those two tracks out.

True guess we'll have to wait and see

Like how the Bad Wembley mix should be? It needs to be powerful through layers. I know Michael didn't always want that, but he did a lot of the time and it turned out amazing. Really makes his work so unique from a lot of others.

Yes, you're totally right!

gif-animado-gato-lixando-a-unha_large.gif

I always found LA Reid to have great appreciation for Michaels work. I don't think he would allow something release that would tamper with mjs legacy and quality as long as he has the power.. Which with this project it definitely looks like he does..

I have a problem with Timbaland working on MJ tracks. He clearly disrespected MJ and even said that he would produce MJ only if MJ didn't appear in the video as if to say he looked gross at the time. He also said MJ wasn't the King of Pop, and Tim was!

:pirate:
I have a problem with Timbaland working on MJ tracks. He clearly disrespected MJ and even said that he would produce MJ only if MJ didn't appear in the video as if to say he looked gross at the time. He also said MJ wasn't the King of Pop, and Tim was!

When did he say any of that? Why would he mention videos .. hes not a director. Te only thing I think I've ever seen him say was that he thought mj was better with Quincy. And that is an opinion he's entitled to.

I never saw Tim say any of that. The only "disrespect" of any kind he gave to Michael was by saying that he "lost it" after Bad, which of course is a load of [insert curse word here].

He and Michael talked on the phone about getting together and collaborating. That's enough for me. That shows that 1) Michael KNEW about him and 2) Michael liked his work.

And I will never understand why people say Timbaland was better in the past. To me, that is totally wrong. The only example I need is the new Justin Timberlake material, which perfectly showcases what Timbaland is capable of. And with Magna Carta Holy Grail, I'm not gonna lie when I say that the production was solid, just the material, the music and the lyrics were underwhelming. But come on, everyone has some bad projects. Even Michael had some bad projects. Tim himself said that he was humbled that they offered him the opportunity to work on a Michael Jackson project, and I have faith in him. If he can pull of a Take Back the Night/Suit & Tie/Mirrors/Don't Hold the Wall kinda job on the music, we're going to love it.

I'm not going to say that he will do a good job, because we don't know. But he's a Michael fan, just like we are, and I have faith that he will do his best. So let's just wait and see.

I'm sorry, and you know this how? Just pages before this response you were saying how it may or may not be true that they even desired such collaborations.

I've never heard Michael say he spoke on the phone with Timbaland. And Timbalands prior comments about Michael's music before he died, tells me this phone call probably never happened.

Edit: Oh, Timbaland said this. And he's also trashed Michael in the past. I don't know about you, but I don't really consider that being a "fan". As far as Timbaland saying he spoke on the phone with Michael, it's a cute story. With zero evidence to seperate it from fact or fiction.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, and you know this how? Just pages before this response you were saying how it may or may not be true that they even desired such collaborations.

I've never heard Michael say he spoke on the phone with Timbaland. And Timbalands prior comments about Michael's music before he died, tells me this phone call probably never happened.

Edit: Oh, Timbaland said this. And he's also trashed Michael in the past. I don't know about you, but I don't really consider that being a "fan". As far as Timbaland saying he spoke on the phone with Michael, it's a cute story. With zero evidence to seperate it from fact or fiction.

You don't need to be a fan of an artist to work for him or with him. The main focus is the language of music, which is far more important to complete a job.

lol, don't insult me! but Shrek :p said "layers are what makes us who we are" and I think that applies to the art of music. as IMWhizzle said.. layers of sounds perfectly produced from someone who understands how the artist works is what makes the final product so precise. Also to track listing, I detest having the same first letter after one and other.. to me it looks tacky and not professional! for example one of the king of pop albums.. first three Song's were "Billie Jean, Beat it & Black Or White" who else has problems with this? just out of curiosity

You don't need to be a fan of an artist to work for him or with him. The main focus is the language of music, which is far more important to complete a job.

Where'd I say that you had to? And in all actuality, you kind of do have to be a fan of the music you're working on. Not in the "oh my god this is the best song ever" sense, but in a sense that you want it to be a success. If you're not a fan of the music you're going to produce a half assed effort on a record tied to Michael Jackson.

And like I said, Timbalands past work, should be applauded. His recent stuff post 07 isn't up to par. So I'll say it again, I hope he recaptures his past magic with Michaels vocals, but I just don't know if he will.

Timbaland doesn't understand how Michael worked. He never knew him, I don't know how anyone can actually argue otherwise. You can use as much "layers" as you want. If you don't know what the artist wanted, you're never going to produce a song true and worthy to the namesake artist. Thats how I see it from a musicians standpoint anyway.

And Wildstyle brought up an interesting thing in the album debate thread. A lot of you have this obsession with a new Michael song being a hit record. And are willing to see this come to fruition regardless of how the original piece suffer's from it. While us diehards, just want the music in its original form, the way he wrote and produced it. Like he said in This Is It, "I want it the way I wrote it".

In any case, I hope he does produce a hit so this obsession can get out of the way and we can get back to hearing Michaels music. And not just "Michaels voice on their music".

Where'd I say that you had to? And in all actuality, you kind of do have to be a fan of the music you're working on. Not in the "oh my god this is the best song ever" sense, but in a sense that you want it to be a success. If you're not a fan of the music you're going to produce a half assed effort on a record tied to Michael Jackson.

And like I said, Timbalands past work, should be applauded. His recent stuff post 07 isn't up to par. So I'll say it again, I hope he recaptures his past magic with Michaels vocals, but I just don't know if he will.

Timbaland doesn't understand how Michael worked. He never knew him, I don't know how anyone can actually argue otherwise. You can use as much "layers" as you want. If you don't know what the artist wanted, you're never going to produce a song true and worthy to the namesake artist. Thats how I see it from a musicians standpoint anyway.

And Wildstyle brought up an interesting thing in the album debate thread. A lot of you have this obsession with a new Michael song being a hit record. And are willing to see this come to fruition regardless of how the original piece suffer's from it. While us diehards, just want the music in its original form, the way he wrote and produced it. Like he said in This Is It, "I want it the way I wrote it".

In any case, I hope he does produce a hit so this obsession can get out of the way and we can get back to hearing Michaels music. And not just "Michaels voice on their music".

Really? Do we need this kind of prodding here? I'm not a die hard? Only been a fan for 28 years I guess.

Can we not belittle each other here?

MJ always used a specific producer for his album to create a certain new sound. MJ needs a producer to create that.

Music is a language, which consists of chords, rhythms, melodies and grooves which stimulates emotions through a listener.

Timbaland understands the language of music very well. Michael is no longer with us, but the estate is following his footsteps which is a good thing in this case. Tim is the right man for this job, because he is relevant for more than a decade. He is very versatile. If only you could listen to his discography. The man is a genius, music wise. And MJ has an awesome voice.

They didn't have to know each other for Tim to work on this project. Music is the only knowledge needed in this case.

The job of the producer is to create the right song for a specific artist. And that is what Tim is doing at the moment.

Just wait and see...

Nothing in this post is accurate...

I-cant-armie-hammer.gif

MJ always used a specific producer for his album to create a certain new sound. MJ needs a producer to create that.

Music is a language, which consists of chords, rhythms, melodies and grooves which stimulates emotions through a listener.

Timbaland understands the language of music very well. Michael is no longer with us, but the estate is following his footsteps which is a good thing in this case. Tim is the right man for this job, because he is relevant for more than a decade. He is very versatile. If only you could listen to his discography. The man is a genius, music wise. And MJ has an awesome voice.

They didn't have to know each other for Tim to work on this project. Music is the only knowledge needed in this case.

The job of the producer is to create the right song for a specific artist. And that is what Tim is doing at the moment.

Just wait and see...

With the greatest of respect this could blow up in your face to haunt you with all this talk of Timbaland being practically a genius, i mean please, he's a good producer with a good output nothing more for me, some absolutely terrible work in there aswell and the strongest of his catalogue is about on par with the stuff 2/3 of the way down Michaels catalogue imo. I'm not one of those fans who thinks no artists can ever reach Michael's level in certain musical aspects cause it's not the case, but for Timbaland i really don't think so...... sorry and all that, I'd take Billie Jean alone over his entire career as a producer. Not trying to be too nasty but i think some of this hype is a little ott and undeserving, the best i hope for is a catchy beat that will entertain me for a while, given the comments about Michael not being relevant after Bad and the fact he has other projects with artists who will sell more and make him more money simply because they are here, do you really expect special things, really? i mean sure i wouldn't be surprised it was decent stuff, even a hit or so, but i also wouldn't be surprised if it was awfull and a massacre of Michael's vision in every possible way, we will see what happens, but i for one, am proceeding with caution.

Last edited:
Really? Do we need this kind of prodding here? I'm not a die hard? Only been a fan for 28 years I guess.

Can we not belittle each other here?

I'm not belittling anyone. I'm quoting what the post said. Go see it for yourself. And I doubt the poster meant it how you're assuming either.

Still, speaking solely for myself, from this and the Bieber thread, there's an obvious difference between fans who feel its okay to take away all the originality and everything Michael himself contributed to a record, for the sake of a hit song and those of us who don't.

As far as Timbaland and his "language of music" or whatever. His recent productions suck. Plain and simple, which is why I and others are voicing concern about him doing this. And it isn't the fact that he didn't know Michael, or anything like that. Its because he said it plain, simple and bold, "You're hearing Michaels voice, on my music"...Yes, thats supposed to give us Michael fans confidence and hope, when all we've been asking for since the day he died, was music that was true to Michael, himself. But we should be excited and praise this? Give me a break.

Generally speaking here of all artists and people when I say this okay. I don't get how you could work with or for an artist you don't respect or like? Wouldn't that take away the enjoyment of what you do? Especially if you have the choice in the matter. I am sorry something about it I guess I don't get that logic of it.

Exactly. He's spoken against Michael and his music in the past while he was alive. But we should all forget that, because this has hit record potential. Yippee!!

Timbaland just jumped on the ''Michael lost it after he left Quincy'' bandwagon. Who Is It, Will You Be There, Is It Scary, They Don't Care About Us, Give Into Me, Stranger In Moscow. He didn't lose it. He got better

Timbaland just jumped on the ''Michael lost it after he left Quincy'' bandwagon. Who Is It, Will You Be There, Is It Scary, They Don't Care About Us, Give Into Me, Stranger In Moscow. He didn't lose it. He got better

you forgot Keep the Faith! that song is my Jam for sure, that and Man in The Mirror are possibly my favourite Song's! I love Michael's anthems, especially when he preaches near the end of the song.. I get extreme goosebumps

Oh my God, Timbaland has an opinion most of us don't agree with! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!

So Timbaland doesn't like much of Michael's post Quincy work. So? Would we rather have him say, "Oh I HATE Michael's music, but I'm just doing this because the estate is paying me." Honestly, when you think about it, he likes Michael's '80s material the best. So sensibly he would reproduce it to try and capture that magic again. It'll be great.

I'm not belittling anyone. I'm quoting what the post said. Go see it for yourself. And I doubt the poster meant it how you're assuming either.

Still, speaking solely for myself, from this and the Bieber thread, there's an obvious difference between fans who feel its okay to take away all the originality and everything Michael himself contributed to a record, for the sake of a hit song and those of us who don't.

As far as Timbaland and his "language of music" or whatever. His recent productions suck. Plain and simple, which is why I and others are voicing concern about him doing this. And it isn't the fact that he didn't know Michael, or anything like that. Its because he said it plain, simple and bold, "You're hearing Michaels voice, on my music"...Yes, thats supposed to give us Michael fans confidence and hope, when all we've been asking for since the day he died, was music that was true to Michael, himself. But we should be excited and praise this? Give me a break.

It's just a bit annoying with the 'real fans want ..' attitude some people have here. Everyone on this site is here because they are a fan. I despise that bieber track. But I'm open to this because I think it will be interesting to see how it's presented. L.A Reid is i BIG MJ fan, and he's overseeing the project so it gives me some confidence we'll get something worthy of MJ and not a total disaster like the 'Michael' album.

Also thinking Timbalands 'productions suck' now is an opinion. I think he's done a lot of his best work this year. So it's all relative.

Back