This is it: The Music (Live Vocals, Tracklist Discussion) MERGED

well i dont mean to be arrogant but i have an exqusit ear, Michael did NOT dance that much on the THIS IS IT rehearsals, he said he was saving his voice but even though he would not sing all song entirely, the parts he sung, they were LIVE, Eath song was LIVE, and you did not need to posses a fine ear on this case... i mean only a normal ear

Im sorry. But I really do have to doubt the exquisitness of your ear! No offence intended

Im sorry. But I really do have to doubt the exquisitness of your ear! No offence intended
Ok, its all ok, the parts were he was SHOWN singing, i dont know about the clips parts, but the parts were he's shown singing its LIVE, he knew this time he did not have to fail in no way, he was smart on that subject.

Ok, its all ok, the parts were he was SHOWN singing, i dont know about the clips parts, but the parts were he's shown singing its LIVE, he knew this time he did not have to fail in no way, he was smart on that subject.

Well I obviously disagree.

To me Earth Song is just the demo with bits of the final version mixed in.

Thriller was just...lip synched 100%

Billie Jean was the demo up until just after the moonwalk.

Man In The Mirror was lip synched apart from some 'hoos' and a few ' ya knows'

Smooth Criminals is lip synched apart from the 'annie are you oks' and a few other bits.

Jam is lip synched right up until the end

TWYMMF is lip synched. The first bit is live, as is the last bit where he sings 'Come on give it to me' and the 'hooos' as well.

Jam is lip synched up until the end.

TDCAU is lip synched.

Im pretty sure Beat it is taken from the first leg of the Bad Tour. If im mistaken, then my god. Its perfect.

I think thats it.

But we obviously disagree with each other. So lets just leave it at that.

Smooth Criminals is lip synched apart from the 'annie are you oks' and a few other bits.

TWYMMF is lip synched. The first bit is live, as is the last bit where he sings 'Come on give it to me' and the 'hooos' as well.

TDCAU is lip synched.

Im pretty sure Beat it is taken from the first leg of the Bad Tour. If im mistaken, then my god. Its perfect.

I think thats it.

I totally agree with you. :)

I must also say that the man on This Is It it was not even Michael Jackson... no no:doh:

( just kidding!)

TDCAU is lip synched.

I think thats it.

you def smoking the pot... you forgot to say he was not even a singer!!!!!! i think its disgusting, all that you write, you have no idea, you are deaf, defenetly, and i dont feel like explaining nothing else to you, and i feel disgust, im a music student i know when someone is singing live or not... F it anyway...im out

Well I have to tell L.T.D. I agree with him.
But I think like 5% from Jam was also live and the end of TDCAU sounded live too me.
Beside that I support him.

Please don't start a fight here.All for love

you def smoking the pot... you forgot to say he was not even a singer!!!!!! i think its disgusting, all that you write, you have no idea, you are deaf, defenetly, and i dont feel like explaining nothing else to you, and i feel disgust, im a music student i know when someone is singing live or not... F it anyway...im out

Im a music student.......lol

Calm it down....

Look through the rest of the thread. You and Lubyss are the only people claiming the whole thing is live. You and Lubyss are the only two people claiming Thriller was live. If your not the only two, then your certainly in the minority. What does that tell you? We are ALL wrong and your right?

TDCAU is lip synched.

I think thats it.

This is correct. Not sure how people convince themselves that every performance was live, but hey, whatever makes you feel good. I see comments on Youtube with people who insist every performance on the HIStory tour was 100% live as well.

This is correct. Not sure how people convince themselves that every performance was live, but hey, whatever makes you feel good. I see comments on Youtube with people who insist every performance on the HIStory tour was 100% live as well.

I know. Its incredible.

I had an arguement with a 40+ year old woman the other day. She claimed the entire HIStory and Dangerous Tour was live.

Nothing she said was making much sense. I was just in awe. Id being arguing with her back and forth all day.

I suppose people will allways trust there own ears over anyone elses.

A little tip. More often than not, when you find yourself having doubts about whether a Performance is being sung Live or if it's a Playback, then it's probably Playback.

When something is Live, you can tell right away, and you'll never have doubts.
Did you have doubts on Human Nature? Did you have doubts when you heard I Just Can't Stop Loving You? No, right?.

For example, I have no doubts that Billie Jean was Live. And I have no doubts that They Don't Care About Us was Playback.

Guys, to make it clear, Michael wanted to do the whole TII concerts in live. In an interview with Ortega (i think), he says that Mike wanted that.

A little tip. More often than not, when you find yourself having doubts about whether a Performance is being sung Live or if it's a Playback, then it's probably Playback.

When something is Live, you can tell right away, and you'll never have doubts.
Did you have doubts on Human Nature? Did you have doubts when you heard I Just Can't Stop Loving You? No, right?.

For example, I have no doubts that Billie Jean was Live. And I have no doubts that They Don't Care About Us was Playback.

Well theres that theory out the window. Billie Jean was the demo. Quite clearly. I could tell it was the demo as soon as I heard it. Ok maybe the theory isnt out the window.

Guys, to make it clear, Michael wanted to do the whole TII concerts in live. In an interview with Ortega (i think), he says that Mike wanted that.

Well maybe they would have been live at the actual show :\

But in the rehearsals, a lot of it was lip synched. Either it would have been live come show time, or Kenny was lieing.

I thought alot of his rehearsals were done live actually. You could hear him take his breath throughout, in the wrong places, or sing completely wrong lyrics.lol. Or you hear interruptions in his singing. I also think his voice wasn't picked up all the time in rehearsals so Kenny may have had to dub some of the vocal performances over.

Why are you discussing this? It was a GREAT show! That is what all matters, give Michael some credit, it was a great show.......

Why are you discussing this? It was a GREAT show! That is what all matters, give Michael some credit, it was a great show.......

Well, for one thing. Thats what this thread is for. We praise the show in other threads, this thread is for live vocals and the tracklist.

What else would we be discussing in here? Bananna bread!?

Maybe I should get a nanny you say? Oh yes, and what would I pay her with, bannana bread!? Im sorry, its just, weve been up all night with the babies and........:| Bannana bread!? What in the hell where you thinking!?

Last edited:
I really wasn't expecting that much. He sang songs he'd NEVER sang live before:

WBSS - 100% live, no doubt
Speechless - 100% live, no doubt
Jam - 98% mimed, 2% live
TDCAU - mimed
Human Nature - 100% live, no doubt
Smooth Criminal - mimed verses, live bridge and chorus
TWYMMF - live intro, mimed verse and chorus, live ad-libs
IJCSLY - 100% live (probably my favourite)
J5 medley - 100% live (incredible vocals at the end of I'll Be There)
Black or White - 100% live (and sounds awesome)
Beat It - 100% live (his voice sounds so strong on this)
Billie Jean - lip-synched demo, live ad-libs
Earth Song - mostly lip-synched, occasional live lines
MITM - mostly lip-synched, occasional live lines

I can totally see why everyone was raving about the ending of IJCSLY - that was old skool black soul right there. Did anyone else notice how he picked the words apart for some lines? That was so cool.

Even most of Smooth Criminal was live apart from the first verse...

Arty will be delighted.

You guys just crack me up with your endless discussions about live or mimed like your the musical director and know everything (yeah, I just read the first post.) No sense wasting my time but just had to post something.

First of all, whether ANY songs is backed with voice tracks or not, there is ALWAYS some singing coming out of Michael's vocal pipes, so it is LIVE.

The day I'll see his mouth closed while his lyrics can be heard, that'll be the day I agree with you.

I dislike the fact that you guys are putting the idea out there that MJ was lipsyncing or miming most of his songs which if you know anything about singing, is not true. Most young new fans will think you're experts and believe your speculations.

So unless Michael Burden comes here and confirms what you say, I won't believe you. Sorry.

Last edited:
Because it is not important whether it were live vocals or not. I hate seeing you guys "fighting" if Thriller was live or Beat it etc. and one of you are saying that it is live and the others are saying "are you out of you mind, it is obviously that it is lipsynched, like the most of the rehearsals are." I don't like I really don't. Just enjoy the show. On the movie you can see Michael, he is there, he is hardworking for us and it's sad now that he is gone. But does it really matters if it was live or not? Watch the movie again and ask yourself..

You guys just crack me up with your endless discussions about live or mimed like your the musical director and know everything (yeah, I just read the first post.) No sense wasting my time but just had to post something.

First of all, whether ANY songs is backed with voice tracks or not, there is ALWAYS some singing coming out of Michael's vocal pipes, so it is LIVE.

The day I'll see his mouth closed while his lyrics can be heard, that'll be the day I agree with you.

I dislike the fact that you guys are putting the idea out there that MJ was lipsyncing or miming most of his songs which if you know anything about singing, is not true. Most young new fans will think you're experts and believe your speculations.

So unless Michael Burden comes here and confirm what you say, I won't believe you. Sorry.

We could hear a voice on certain songs, and if its not MJ's voice at that exact point in time we could hear. He was lip synching.

We dont need to be musical directors, we are judging by our own ears.

You dont have to believe us, your entitled to believe what you want. Not that it makes a difference to us. :\

Because it is not important whether it were live vocals or not. I hate seeing you guys "fighting" if Thriller was live or Beat it etc. and one of you are saying that it is live and the others are saying "are you out of you mind, it is obviously that it is lipsynched, like the most of the rehearsals are." I don't like I really don't. Just enjoy the show. On the movie you can see Michael, he is there, he is hardworking for us and it's sad now that he is gone. But does it really matters if it was live or not? Watch the movie again and ask yourself..

Nobody has said it matters.

Apart from Arty, nobody has said. Ohh, hes lip synching. I dont like that :\ We are just arguing over whether he is or not. Not that it bothers anyone.

His vocals in the beggining of The Way You Make Me Feel are incrediblе!

Hey pretty baby with the high heels on
You give me fever like I've never, ever known
I feel your fever from miles around
I'll pick you up in my car and we'll paint the town
Just kiss me baby and tell me twice
That you're the one for…

The way you make me feel, babe
You really turn me on
You knock me off of my feet
Hee
My lonely days are gone

Discussing what's playback or live isn't criticizing the film, it's simply discussing what's what. People need to stop associating playback with negativity. It's not. It's simply talking about what was live and what wasn't.

riviera1992 said:

Well yeah, but what good does it do the listener if you can't hear it?

Bottom line, I think most (not all, but most) fans are clearly happy with the ratio of live singing to lip-syncing and the dancing. The movie has gotten great reviews... simply discussing what songs were live and which ones weren't isn't a critique of the film, it's simply sorting through what's what.

I already hear that demo many times, ITS NOT THE SAME!!!, i mean im a singer, i know about this, its not the same, i can sing a song a hundred times sounding exactly the same, i do, and its easier, but u have to be a very qualified singer to be able to do it. the endidng is not the same, but that not the point, anyway not the same, its just not, Michael used that falsetto voice cause it was easier, its easier for a man. i read an article today i couldnt beleive it, they must be reading this forum...

Back