"This Is It" Now airing on MICHAELJACKSON.COM { WARNING! NO POSTING OF DOWNLOAD LINKS ALLOWED }

Re: "This Is It" Now airing on MICHAELJACKSON.COM { WARNING! NO POSTING OF DOWNLOAD LINKS ALLOWED }

I don't fit into that since I love all his music. If I had to put them into two catogaries, It would be...

1. Music Fans = Are fans of the music, the whole "King Of Pop" thing but aren't really into Michael as a person as they don't know much about him and don't know what to think.

2. Michael Fans = Are fans of the music and also Michael the human being, they know alot about him as a person and love him as a person and these are the people who call themselves "Michael Jackson Fans" and they see more of MICHAEL than King Of Pop or whatever. < That would be for most, if not all of us here.

I'm in the number #2 category - most definitely

I'm also a mix of Arty's 1 & 2.

I'm an old school fan (I was 5 in 1976 and had my earliest memory dancing to "body language" & doing MJs robot - LOL! )

...but I love the aggressive edgy stuff too.

Re: "This Is It" Now airing on MICHAELJACKSON.COM { WARNING! NO POSTING OF DOWNLOAD LINKS ALLOWED }

just love love love this song

He definitely sounds young, when he reaches those high notes he sounds in his 20's. Ah god bless this man.. It sounds alot like Carousel and Love Never Felt So Good. Beginning or mid 80's probably...

His voice became more refined & polished. I know that MJ took vocal coaching (as every good vocalist should do) to achieve the virtuoso-ness on Thriller & beyond years.

And I think that what MJ did on This Is It sounds like what's called a reference track - something of what is a polished demo, but not exactly the final cut for an album.

Gosh, I can't stop listening to the song! :wub:
God, it makes me so sad at the same time though, miss you Michael. :cry:

I was 5 in 1976 and had my earliest memory dancing to "body language" & doing MJs robot - LOL!

I was born in 1976 :D

the song touches me, I got both feelings at the same time, I feel "I could fly" and the same time it makes me wistfully, but I love the song. It's right, may be the recording has some weaknesses, imo perhaps too much background noises, they would have better done if they would have trusted in Michael's voice more, the noises in the background are like a jumble, this sounds not good and disturbs the melting of Michael's voice, but the song is wonderful, heart-rendingly, my opinion.

But after I've read several post of fans on boards, here and there, I wished I wouldn't have done it ... this have taken away from me some joy. Pity.

I was born in 1976 :D

I have a brother that was born in 1976 too! In fact, that party which was my earliest memory of MJ, was when my family from New York came to see my newborn baby brother.

And in pure Latino style, it ended up being a HUGE party/get-together with music & dancing & fun. Then my older cousins telling me to do the robot & the bump dance for them, which i did & everybody was cheering me on.

Michael Jackson IS my childhood.

I really like it. Okay, it's not Who Is It or Billie Jean... but my sights were never set that high...

I personally love albums like Triumph and Destiny and hearing this reminds me of how soulful he sounded back then.

There's a lot of generalisations going on in this thread though. I appreciate all his 70s, 80s, 90s and 00's work... and not on a crazy fan level where I've lost all objectivity. I had major issues with a lot of Invincible, I felt like throwing up when Fergie and Akon massacred Thriller 25...

But at the end of the day, Michael is such a soulful singer and regardless of whether he's singing an ol-skool R&B ballad like This Is It or a big Disney-esque showtune like Speechless, his unique passion and heart always shines through...

I have a brother that was born in 1976 too! In fact, that party which was my earliest memory of MJ, was when my family from New York came to see my newborn baby brother.

And in pure Latino style, it ended up being a HUGE party/get-together with music & dancing & fun. Then my older cousins telling me to do the robot & the bump dance for them, which i did & everybody was cheering me on.

Michael Jackson IS my childhood.

Waw those are beautiful memories. Michael touched our childhood and that’s a big impact on our lives. We grew up with him. Thanks for sharing.

Can someone post this article? my ISP prevents me from accessing it:

Will 'This Is It' win Michael Jackson another Grammy?

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards...nother-grammy-entertainment-news-2468097.html

Ok!

Michael Jackson won 13 Grammy Awards, including the top prizes of best album ("Thriller"), record ("Beat It") and song ("We Are the World"). With today's release of the new single "This Is It", Michael Jackson could be in contention for more awards at the Grammys in 2011 (Aug. 31 was the eligibility cutoff for the 2010 awards).
"This Is It" is only available at the late singer's website until the two-disc soundtrack for the documentary of the same name is released internationally on Oct. 26 and in North America the next day, in anticipation of the film's worldwide debut on Oct. 28.
Sony has announced that the "This Is It" soundtrack will feature two versions of the new song as well as both released and unreleased versions of Michael Jackson's greatest hits. "This Is It" features backing vocals by the rest of the Jackson brothers.
The Jackson 5 earned two Grammy nominations in their career, and they lost both bids. In 1970, the boys were bested for their contemporary group vocal performance of "ABC" by the Carpenters ("Close to You"). And in 1974 they lost the R&B race with "Dancing Machine" to Rufus ("Tell Me Something Good").
After striking out on his own, Michael Jackson won his first Grammy in 1980 for best R&B male vocal performance ("Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"). That track from his chart-topping "Off the Wall" album also contended for best disco recording.
"Thriller" -- his second solo effort as an adult -- was released in November 1982 and spent a record 37 weeks at No. 1, producing an unparalleled seven top 10 singles. In March 1983, Jackson debuted his moonwalk dance to "Billie Jean" on the TV special "Motown 25: Yesterday, Today and Forever." Michael Jackson earned an Emmy nod for best performance in a variety or music program. He lost to opera diva Leontyne Price for her concert with the New York Philharmonic on "Live From Lincoln Center."
At the Grammys in February 1984, Jackson shared in seven of the eight awards won by the album (the exception was for best engineered recording). Michael Jackson shared the wins for album of the year and producer of the year (non-classical) with "Thriller" collaborator Quincy Jones, who also produced his Grammy-winning children's recording "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial."
For the three chart-topping singles off the album, Jackson won Grammy Awards for male vocal performance in an unprecedented three genres -- R&B ("Billie Jean"), rock ("Beat It") and pop ("Thriller"). He shared in the record of the year win for "Beat It" with the production team. And as the songwriter, he picked up a Grammy for penning the best R&B tune ("Billie Jean"). However, Sting's "Every Breath You Take" edged out two Jackson compositions -- "Beat It" and "Billie Jean" -- for song of the year.
Jackson's total of eight Grammy wins in one night broke the record set in 1965 by Roger Miller, who'd won six awards, most for the country hit "King of the Road." And the eight Grammys awarded to "Thriller" was another record haul as well. Both of these achievements were tied by Santana and the album "Supernatural" in 1999.

Michael Jackson won another Grammy the following year in the category of best video album for the film that documented the making of the landmark "Thriller" video. That $500,000, 14-minute video, directed by John Landis, told the story of a boy (Jackson) and girl enjoying a date until he turned into a singing, dancing zombie.

In 1986, Jackson and Lionel Richie won the song of the year Grammy for the charity single "We Are the World," which also took home record of the year. As Jackson was one of the pioneers of the music video, it seems appropriate that the last two Grammys he won were for that medium. In 1989, he and his team won the short-form video award for "Leave Me Alone" off his follow-up album, "Bad." And in 1995, he and his sister Janet Jackson shared in the short-form winning "Scream," from his double album "HIStory."
Photo: Ken Hively / Los Angeles Times

Michael Jackson won 13 Grammy Awards, including the top prizes of best album ("Thriller"), record ("Beat It") and song ("We Are the World"). With today's release of the new single "This Is It", Michael Jackson could be in contention for more awards at the Grammys in 2011 (Aug. 31 was the eligibility cutoff for the 2010 awards). "This Is It" is only available at the late singer's website until the two-disc soundtrack for the documentary of the same name is released internationally on Oct. 26 and in North America the next day, in anticipation of the film's worldwide debut on Oct. 28.
Sony has announced that the "This Is It" soundtrack will feature two versions of the new song as well as both released and unreleased versions of Michael Jackson's greatest hits. "This Is It" features backing vocals by the rest of the Jackson brothers.
The Jackson 5 earned two Grammy nominations in their career, and they lost both bids. In 1970, the boys were bested for their contemporary group vocal performance of "ABC" by the Carpenters ("Close to You"). And in 1974 they lost the R&B race with "Dancing Machine" to Rufus ("Tell Me Something Good").
After striking out on his own, Michael Jackson won his first Grammy in 1980 for best R&B male vocal performance ("Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"). That track from his chart-topping "Off the Wall" album also contended for best disco recording.
"Thriller" -- his second solo effort as an adult -- was released in November 1982 and spent a record 37 weeks at No. 1, producing an unparalleled seven top 10 singles. In March 1983, Jackson debuted his moonwalk dance to "Billie Jean" on the TV special "Motown 25: Yesterday, Today and Forever." Michael Jackson earned an Emmy nod for best performance in a variety or music program. He lost to opera diva Leontyne Price for her concert with the New York Philharmonic on "Live From Lincoln Center."
At the Grammys in February 1984, Jackson shared in seven of the eight awards won by the album (the exception was for best engineered recording). Michael Jackson shared the wins for album of the year and producer of the year (non-classical) with "Thriller" collaborator Quincy Jones, who also produced his Grammy-winning children's recording "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial."
For the three chart-topping singles off the album, Jackson won Grammy Awards for male vocal performance in an unprecedented three genres -- R&B ("Billie Jean"), rock ("Beat It") and pop ("Thriller"). He shared in the record of the year win for "Beat It" with the production team. And as the songwriter, he picked up a Grammy for penning the best R&B tune ("Billie Jean"). However, Sting's "Every Breath You Take" edged out two Jackson compositions -- "Beat It" and "Billie Jean" -- for song of the year.
Jackson's total of eight Grammy wins in one night broke the record set in 1965 by Roger Miller, who'd won six awards, most for the country hit "King of the Road." And the eight Grammys awarded to "Thriller" was another record haul as well. Both of these achievements were tied by Santana and the album "Supernatural" in 1999.

Michael Jackson won another Grammy the following year in the category of best video album for the film that documented the making of the landmark "Thriller" video. That $500,000, 14-minute video, directed by John Landis, told the story of a boy (Jackson) and girl enjoying a date until he turned into a singing, dancing zombie.

In 1986, Jackson and Lionel Richie won the song of the year Grammy for the charity single "We Are the World," which also took home record of the year. As Jackson was one of the pioneers of the music video, it seems appropriate that the last two Grammys he won were for that medium. In 1989, he and his team won the short-form video award for "Leave Me Alone" off his follow-up album, "Bad." And in 1995, he and his sister Janet Jackson shared in the short-form winning "Scream," from his double album "HIStory."

Thanks shimar and athina_livadi :)

Last edited:

i what on the website it was just video of that song nowhere to download it :no: :boohoo:

When GMTV premiered the song this morning, was it accompanied by a video or montage? Can't imagine it would make great TV to either look at the single artwork for nearly 4mins, or simply watch the presenter's reactions, lol.

I'm sorry but I wasn't impressed with the song at all. :no:

Thanks for posting

Re: "This Is It" to be unveiled at MIDNIGHT on Oct 12th on MICHAELJACKSON.COM

yeah i noticed thats a line sony are spinning "to be performed", "song of the concerts", no, not at all. its just a coincidence. dies 2 weeks before the show starts and didnt have that thing sorted out...cmon now.

well we will see in the movie i guess.. if MJ performs it in the movie.. well then it is pretty clear what the truth is..

But still.. I really think its a beautiful song.. when I first heard the 43-seconds snippet I didn't like it as much as now.

Finally got to listen to the song. I can't stop now, listening to it again and again. And crying my eyes out. :( Hearing his voice is amazing and terribly sad at the same time. I don't care for the quality of the song. It's his voice and that's all I need to know. And of course, I am buying the album...

I wonder if some day I'll be able to feel joy when a new MJ song is released. Because right now it's heartbreaking. What a huge loss. He shouldn't have left us. And I took him for granted. I thought he would be with us forever. Oh god.

I've listened to it quite a lot now. I like it. I like this kind of MJ. Its not perfect (as in its quality) but I like it. His voice is great. It's comforting..hearing him in this song makes me feel good inside.

Oh Michael, I hope you're at peace.

Miss him :(

Last edited:

Oh god......... its beautiful........... :boohoo:

but now I can't stop the tears......... :boohoo:

I love it.

xxx

Check out what MTV says about the song and about Michael, you will love to read this article :yes:

Michael Jackson's 'This Is It': The Past, The Present, A Perfect MJ Tune

Song showcases MJ's often-overlooked talent as a singer

Michael Jackson was a hell of a singer.

I only say this because to the casual music fan, it might not be apparent. Whether it was because so much about him — his dance moves, his style, his swagger — was so dynamic, or because he rarely spoke above a whisper, or even because he frequently peppered his verses with vocal ticks (like those oft-imitated "Hee-hee's"), Jackson remains one of the most underrated vocal artists in music history.

And that's a shame, because his voice was a wondrous thing, capable of reaching both towering heights (the final verse of "Rock With You") and depths ("Childhood"). It was technical, but it was also decidedly human, too, full of pump-priming rage ("Man in the Mirror") one minute, tethered tenderness the next ("She's Out of My Life"). It was a finely tuned instrument that, when unfurled, revealed all the pain and frustration and joy of Jackson's life ... a window inside the man's soul. It could stop you in your tracks and raise the hair on the back of your neck. It was something to behold.

But don't take my word for it. Just listen to "This Is It," the title track to Jackson's posthumous concert-film/double album that premiered at midnight on Monday (October 12). Because if anything, it's reinforcement of my original point: Jackson was a powerhouse vocalist.

The origins of the song may remain cloudy — it was reportedly written in 1980, in the fertile period between Jackson's Off the Wall and Thriller albums, and recorded in the mid-to-late '80s, in between the Bad and Dangerous albums — but really, none of that really matters: "This Is It" is a prime showcase for Jackson's prodigious pipes, which means that the best way to experience it — indeed, the best way to pay tribute to the man and his music — is to turn the volume up, sit back, and just listen.

Ignore the trilling strings, and the soft-jazz/light-funk backing track (which sort of make the song sound like Off the Wall's "I Can't Help It.") Block out the hype surrounding the song's release and the drama surrounding Jackson's death. Focus on those vocals — the way Jackson counts it in with a boyish "one, two, three, four," the way he glides from verse to verse with breathless, effortless phrasing, the lean-yet-heavy falsetto, the hint of gravel (and gravitas) is the verses, the soaring choruses — it's all there, untarnished by time or tabloids. And it's all wonderful.

In a lot of ways, "This Is It" might be the perfect Michael Jackson tune. And by that I mean, while it's by no means his best, or his most memorable, it might be his most representative. It's a mixture of his yearning early years and his messianic later period, and it shines a light on the best aspects of both: His voice.

Because, just in case you weren't aware, Michael Jackson was a hell of a singer.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1623610/20091012/jackson_michael.jhtml

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Last edited:

^^^^^ exactly. Great article. Thanks for posting.

Thats why I like it. To me its all about his voice, and I love it :)

I love this song! Michael's vocals are exquisite :wub: but it's obviously a demo from the early 80s? OTW era?

Yes, Sony have simply chucked in an orchestra and his brother's backing vocals to use the song because he says "This Is It" in it *rolls eyes*, but it is a beautiful song nevertheless. And don't forget, it's possibly 30 years old! If Michael can impress with a 30 year old demo, then he has succeeded in my eyes - even though i know he wouldn't have released this if he was alive, no way, he was too much of a perfectionist to release a demo as a 'single'. If he had released it when he was/if he was still alive and had total control of the song it would have been EPIC.

As for all the negativity: Why? What were you expecting, some Man In The Mirror 2.0? Obviously it wasn't going to be! It's Sony, remember! That's not to say that there isn't songs hidden away like that that Sony will release someday; i'm sure as hell that there is. We are talking about Michael Jackson, after all, i bet that there are some real gems waiting to entice our ears. I can't wait! :D

But until then, i will enjoy this song, because i genuinely love it. Yes, Sony are bastards, but life is a bitch and they will always do the opposite of what we want. I've learnt to live with that now.

We've all lost our dear Michael, let's not lose touch with his music - please. Appreciate, appreciate, appreciate!

Last edited:

Well, DUH he can sing!!!!!

WTF, is it just me or did people forget that Michael is a vocal virtuoso?

F*ckers.

The older MJ got, the better his instrument became.

MJ could sing a song and not need any instrumentation behind him. His energy & urge, his hiccups & ooohs and hard exhales were all the back-up he needed.

And MJ singing his own backgrounds are the most lush & tightest backgrounds ever recorded.

And MJ's falsettos is THE BEST I've heard. Also major props to Prince and Russell Thompkins, Jr. from the Stylistics.

Phillip Bailey from Earth Wind & Fire? Um, not as much as MJ, Prince & Russell Thompkins.

Check out what MTV says about the song and about Michael, you will love to read this article :yes:

Michael Jackson's 'This Is It': The Past, The Present, A Perfect MJ Tune

Song showcases MJ's often-overlooked talent as a singer

Michael Jackson was a hell of a singer.

I only say this because to the casual music fan, it might not be apparent. Whether it was because so much about him — his dance moves, his style, his swagger — was so dynamic, or because he rarely spoke above a whisper, or even because he frequently peppered his verses with vocal ticks (like those oft-imitated "Hee-hee's"), Jackson remains one of the most underrated vocal artists in music history.

And that's a shame, because his voice was a wondrous thing, capable of reaching both towering heights (the final verse of "Rock With You") and depths ("Childhood"). It was technical, but it was also decidedly human, too, full of pump-priming rage ("Man in the Mirror") one minute, tethered tenderness the next ("She's Out of My Life"). It was a finely tuned instrument that, when unfurled, revealed all the pain and frustration and joy of Jackson's life ... a window inside the man's soul. It could stop you in your tracks and raise the hair on the back of your neck. It was something to behold.

But don't take my word for it. Just listen to "This Is It," the title track to Jackson's posthumous concert-film/double album that premiered at midnight on Monday (October 12). Because if anything, it's reinforcement of my original point: Jackson was a powerhouse vocalist.

The origins of the song may remain cloudy — it was reportedly written in 1980, in the fertile period between Jackson's Off the Wall and Thriller albums, and recorded in the mid-to-late '80s, in between the Bad and Dangerous albums — but really, none of that really matters: "This Is It" is a prime showcase for Jackson's prodigious pipes, which means that the best way to experience it — indeed, the best way to pay tribute to the man and his music — is to turn the volume up, sit back, and just listen.

Ignore the trilling strings, and the soft-jazz/light-funk backing track (which sort of make the song sound like Off the Wall's "I Can't Help It.") Block out the hype surrounding the song's release and the drama surrounding Jackson's death. Focus on those vocals — the way Jackson counts it in with a boyish "one, two, three, four," the way he glides from verse to verse with breathless, effortless phrasing, the lean-yet-heavy falsetto, the hint of gravel (and gravitas) is the verses, the soaring choruses — it's all there, untarnished by time or tabloids. And it's all wonderful.

In a lot of ways, "This Is It" might be the perfect Michael Jackson tune. And by that I mean, while it's by no means his best, or his most memorable, it might be his most representative. It's a mixture of his yearning early years and his messianic later period, and it shines a light on the best aspects of both: His voice.

Because, just in case you weren't aware, Michael Jackson was a hell of a singer.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

NatalieM,

I love your siggy!

2e30hfp.gif

"I love you! But it wouldn't mean nothing...."

God I need to hear that on Youtube again.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

I just got home and I finally able to listen to the song. Damn, was that worth a wait, I love it! So beautiful, truly a voice of an angel :wub:

I love this song! Michael's vocals are exquisite :wub: but it's obviously a demo from the early 80s? OTW era?

Yes, Sony have simply chucked in an orchestra and his brother's backing vocals to use the song because he says "This Is It" in it *rolls eyes*, but it is a beautiful song nevertheless. And don't forget, it's possibly 30 years old! If Michael can impress with a 30 year old demo, then he has succeeded in my eyes - even though i know he wouldn't have released this if he was alive, no way, he was too much of a perfectionist to release a demo as a 'single'. If he had released it when he was/if he was still alive and had total control of the song it would have been EPIC.

As for all the negativity: Why? What were you expecting, some Man In The Mirror 2.0? Obviously it wasn't going to be! It's Sony, remember! That's not to say that there isn't songs hidden away like that that Sony will release someday; i'm sure as hell that there is. We are talking about Michael Jackson, after all, i bet that there are some real gems waiting to entice our ears. I can't wait! :D

But until then, i will enjoy this song, because i genuinely love it. Yes, Sony are bastards, but life is a bitch and they will always do the opposite of what we want. I've learnt to live with that now.

We've all lost our dear Michael, let's not lose touch with his music - please. Appreciate, appreciate, appreciate!

Finally there is a good balanced comment which is a rare find in this thread, though I find myself interested to read opinions but all the sudden I just felt like changing my avatar and picking up my sword! :D

Back