The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

Some legendary albums that most likely won't be caught
Keep in mind that Michael has a second album (Essential Michael Jackson) with over 400 weeks on Billboard 200. I don't think these other artists in the top 10 have another album with that many weeks on the chart.

Last edited:
Bit knackered so might be totally misinterpreting your question but there's this from a week ago:

"Every song on ‘Xscape' now has over 10 million streams. "
I loooooove this!! So amazing 😻

Still haven't really been able to process this. It's too much for my brain, lol.
Oh I know what you mean! And what I'm asking is for sure along these lines. I'm just wondering on an individual level... are there other specific songs from the album that are climbing in streams more so than others? I want to know what other songs are getting more play than usual beyond Chicago, whether from Xscape or another album. I'm not sure how to access this data but I'm thinking I need to find out.

It is so funny because I am so so far from being a numbers person and yet these are the numbers I live for lol.

Oh I know what you mean! And what I'm asking is for sure along these lines. I'm just wondering on an individual level... are there other specific songs from the album that are climbing in streams more so than others? I want to know what other songs are getting more play than usual beyond Chicago, whether from Xscape or another album. I'm not sure how to access this data but I'm thinking I need to find out.
No, I get it. When I found this a week ago that was my first thought. Well, no, my first thought was 'wth?'. But then I started to wonder about the other songs. Each one has over 10 million streams (wth?) but it would be kinda nice to see a list. Get some details on this. I haven't seen one although haven't gone looking intensely. I'm not very good at this stats lark. I was trying to verify something a few days ago. Hopeless! It was kinda funny, really. I got in a right tangle. This is not my superpower, lol.

It is so funny because I am so so far from being a numbers person and yet these are the numbers I live for lol.
Same. Well, OK, I wouldn't go so far as to say I live for these numbers, lol, but they are pretty interesting. But some more details would be ace. It's also interesting that this is happening in the T40 era bc I haven't seen any T40 stuff outside of this board. So I wonder if Xscape is trending big and peeps don't even really know that T40 is looming. Just an idle thought.

No, I get it. When I found this a week ago that was my first thought. Well, no, my first thought was 'wth?'. But then I started to wonder about the other songs. Each one has over 10 million streams (wth?) but it would be kinda nice to see a list.
Yesss!! Also, does this include the reworked versions AND the original versions? Or just the reworked versions? Also, if each has hit 10m have any moved significantly beyond that? I need a detailed breakdown lol.

Get some details on this. I haven't seen one although haven't gone looking intensely. I'm not very good at this stats lark. I was trying to verify something a few days ago. Hopeless! It was kinda funny, really. I got in a right tangle. This is not my superpower, lol.
lol I get it! Tbf a lot of the chart data I try to verify is apparently behind a paywall. I always tried to verify BB or YouTube stats if I can. But otherwise it can be hard. And sometimes it's more that I just want to see it for myself out of excitement than fact checking lol.

Same. Well, OK, I wouldn't go so far as to say I live for these numbers, lol, but they are pretty interesting.
You can always count on me for the dramatics ;)

But some more details would be ace. It's also interesting that this is happening in the T40 era bc I haven't seen any T40 stuff outside of this board.
Thank you for this. I am so immersed in my own Michael fantasy land that I often forget other people who aren't following Michael aren't thinking about any of this lol. I did tell my family I was going to buy all of them Thriller40 for Christmas and they all just give me blank stares. Anyway, your point is important because I am quite sure the estate has done minimal promotion outside of social media. Though, there have been several announcements of the album and the upcoming documentaries that mention it. So that's....something?

So I wonder if Xscape is trending big and peeps don't even really know that T40 is looming. Just an idle thought.
I hope that these people flock to Michael in all the ways. My guess is that the uptick in streams of Xscape is mostly people newer to Michael if they came to it through Chicago. It will be interesting to see!

Yesss!! Also, does this include the reworked versions AND the original versions? Or just the reworked versions? Also, if each has hit 10m have any moved significantly beyond that? I need a detailed breakdown lol.
That's what I want to know more than anything. So this tweet I posted, lovely as it is, what are we talking about? I need some proper details.

Tell you what, back in the day, we had a Sunday evening chart run down on BBC Radio 1 and the weekly charts in Melody Maker and NME (which didn't match, btw, lol). A record would (allegedly) sell one million copies and would get a gold record. Pretty straightforward. :D

lol I get it! Tbf a lot of the chart data I try to verify is apparently behind a paywall. I always tried to verify BB or YouTube stats if I can. But otherwise it can be hard. And sometimes it's more that I just want to see it for myself out of excitement than fact checking lol.
I just always want a fuller story. I also like to know where info comes from. Is it a reliable source or is it crap? Getting info from social media is not my MO, fgs!

Thank you for this. I am so immersed in my own Michael fantasy land that I often forget other people who aren't following Michael aren't thinking about any of this lol. I did tell my family I was going to buy all of them Thriller40 for Christmas and they all just give me blank stares.
I'm with the family on this, lol. I would be joining them in the 'oh god, did she really just say that' blank stare moment. :ROFLMAO:

Sorry but that is just KILLING me. Anyway, derail. Better stop!

Anyway, your point is important because I am quite sure the estate has done minimal promotion outside of social media. Though, there have been several announcements of the album and the upcoming documentaries that mention it. So that's....something?
I haven't gone searching intensely but the little bit of looking around I have done has served up zilch. We'll see if it ramps up in the next week or so. They need to crack on with this.

Xscape's songs have 10 million streams each simply because it had a big hit single with LNFSG and it actually came out in the streaming era.
Each individual song of Beyonce's latest album for example is streamed at least 20 million times, some well over 100 million. Adele does even better, all songs have a minimum of 50 million streams.

When you compare Beyonce's pre Spotify albums you see they have a lot less streams than her latest efforts, there are usually a couple of tracks hovering around 5 to 15 million.

So Xscapes numbers aren't that special, after all it took the album 8 years for all tracks to go 10 million +

If Spotify existed in 1982 all thriller songs would have over a billion streams, it is that simple. Now it is just one and it will take the album maybe 50 years (probably longer) for all tracks to achieve a billion streams each. Beat It will get to a billion soon enough, it only needs another 230 million. If someone has the weekly numbers of its gains it would be easily calculated when exactly that happens.

EDIT I came across a post that beat it was streamed 530 million times as of 1 May 2021. So more or less 1,5 years later it is at 770 million. So I expect it to hit 1 billion about 1,5 years from now.

EDIT 2 Hold My Hand was at 82 million as of 1 May 2021 and is now at 98 million. But it is streamed more than earth song so one would think it is more popular but it isn't. It is just ahead because it was released in the streaming era. Earth song for example gained 24 million streams compared to hold my hands's 16 million in the exact same period. So eventually it will surpass hold my hand.

Strangely enough it gets streamed more than the likes of Blood on the dancefloor, Jam or Liberian Girl though, so it is actually a more popular song than those. I guess lots of streams come from Akon fans?

EDIT 3 On 1 May 2021 Heaven can wait wasn't even in MJ's top 100 most streamed songs. Nr 100 "Free" had approximately 3 million streams. Now 1,5 years later "Heaven Can Wait" is at 26 million streams and it jumped from nowhere to the top 50 of MJ's all time most streamed songs. Thank you tiktok!

Last edited:
Xscape's songs have 10 million streams each simply because it had a big hit single with LNFSG and it actually came out in the streaming era.
Each individual song of Beyonce's latest album for example is streamed at least 20 million times, some well over 100 million. Adele does even better, all songs have a minimum of 50 million streams.
well, it's not really fair to compare Xscape's streaming numbers to Beyonce or Adele who are two of the biggest artists of the century and who both have current albums out. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your point here though.

So Xscapes numbers aren't that special, after all it took the album 8 years for all tracks to go 10 million +
Whew, idk man, we definitely just have a different way of seeing things (but we already know this 😊 ). Here's how I see it:

1) Xscape is posthumous so the primary audience is hardcore MJ fans, as well as fans who feel comfortable with posthumous releases (which definitely isn't all). There's only so much really effective promo that can happen given that MJ is not around to promote it himself.

and

2) It came after Michael and all the fake tracks controversy, which I can only imagine (truly, since I wasn't a fan then, imagining is my only real option) impacted enthusiasm and support for Xscape right from the start. When I first became a fan and went to Reddit for information, I was repeatedly told by fans to not even bother with Michael or Xscape. I actually never intended on even listening to either album at first, but then I stumbled upon Loving You on YouTube and my life was changed forever lol.

Anyway, given the context I think having 10 million+ streams on every song is amazing. But I'm me, so of course I do lol.

EDIT 2 Hold My Hand was at 82 million as of 1 May 2021 and is now at 98 million. But it is streamed more than earth song so one would think it is more popular but it isn't. It is just ahead because it was released in the streaming era. Earth song for example gained 24 million streams compared to hold my hands's 16 million in the exact same period. So eventually it will surpass hold my hand.
Yeah, that's wild. It just shows too how streaming numbers don't always present the popularity or notoriety of a song, or even an artist. For example, there are indie artists who have 1-2 songs with massive numbers because they are added to official Spotify playlists, but the actual artist is barely known and their discography is unexplored. In fact, I often think about how few artists I love enough to explore their whole discography, or even go beyond a single album.

But this is where I think MJ shines. His music is SO good. It has such a magical and enticing quality to it. Obviously, not everyone thinks so, but I think his record speaks for itself. He has mass appeal because he's just objectively really good. What he's really up against now with new generations especially (beyond the obvious, which we don't need to get into here) is his legacy of being the 80s "King of Pop" and people thinking they already know what he's all about. I see this all the time on Twitter when people act like all he did was make Thriller. I actually saw someone on Twitter recently say MJ was an overrated dancer because all he did was moonwalk. He was eaten alive in the comments, but still. If people think they already know everything MJ has to offer without ever exploring him, they won't explore him. So to have Xscape trend and show people a side of him they don't know, that helps combat all of that.

Strangely enough it gets streamed more than the likes of Blood on the dancefloor, Jam or Liberian Girl though...
that is INSANE!

EDIT 3 On 1 May 2021 Heaven can wait wasn't even in MJ's top 100 most streamed songs. Nr 100 "Free" had approximately 3 million streams. Now 1,5 years later "Heaven Can Wait" is at 26 million streams and it jumped from nowhere to the top 50 of MJ's all time most streamed songs. Thank you tiktok!
That really is so cool :)

A little tidbit. The Chicago TikTok trend has really taken off. By end of year Chicago will be eligible for GOLD status from RIAA. Already at 400K in sales in US alone. This would be the 2nd single from Xscape to be certified.

LNFSG is officially platinum, but once updated it will become 4X Platinum. Slave To The Rhythm should be certified GOLD as well.

Last edited:
A little tidbit. The Chicago TikTok trend has really taken off. By end of year Chicago will be eligible for GOLD status from RIAA. Already at 400K in sales in US alone. This would be the 2nd single from Xscape to be certified.

LNFSG is officially platinum, but once updated it will become 4X Platinum.
what type of Sales? itunes?

According to the OP, this chart represents PURE sales, so no streaming equivalents. Incredible that in the top 20 he has 3 albums, #1 of which is (of course) eclipsing everyone else.

According to the OP, this chart represents PURE sales, so no streaming equivalents. Incredible that in the top 20 he has 3 albums, #1 of which is (of course) eclipsing everyone else.

Where’s Beyoncé on this list? I thought she was the greatest of all time, better than Mike 😂 I heard J say it. The Eagles numbers are made up. Great album but Geffen lies. Didn’t they magically add some fake mail cassette numbers crap numbers from 30 years ago. SMH

3 albums on the list for Mike

Where’s Beyoncé on this list? I thought she was the greatest of all time, better than Mike 😂 I heard J say it.
Oh J... lol

That said, it's actually pretty impressive that Adele has an album on this list. I don't really feel much about her music either way, but it's quite a feat considering how much later it debuted compared to the others.

3 albums on the list for Mike
Right?? I love this! When streams are included, Bad is #4. Which shows also how some of these albums have faired differently in the streaming era.

Another post on MJ's certifications from RIAA. This time specifically referring to albums. Right now he's been certified for US sales of 89 million albums. This list is mostly up to date, but there are some missing sales. As of today they are as follows:

-Off The Wall has just passed 10X platinum (Diamond) certification
-Dangerous is now at 9X Platinum
-HIStory is now at 9X Platinum
-Invincible is now at 3X Platinum
-Xscape is now at Platinum

-Thriller is 200K away from being 35X platinum, should happen by end of year with Thriller 40.
-Bad is 300K away from being 12X platinum, should happen by early next year.

So if the estate was to do an update early next year they could add another 6.5 million sales to his tally taking MJ to 95.5 million albums sold in USA.

well, it's not really fair to compare Xscape's streaming numbers to Beyonce or Adele who are two of the biggest artists of the century and who both have current albums out. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your point here though.
I wasn't really comparing, I was trying to point out that albums released pre Spotify naturally have less streams than albums released now. Xscape has more streams more than invincible for this reason only imo
Anyway, given the context I think having 10 million+ streams on every song is amazing. But I'm me, so of course I do lol.
I'm just disappointed that the original tracks have much less streams :p
Yeah, that's wild. It just shows too how streaming numbers don't always present the popularity or notoriety of a song, or even an artist. For example, there are indie artists who have 1-2 songs with massive numbers because they are added to official Spotify playlists, but the actual artist is barely known and their discography is unexplored. In fact, I often think about how few artists I love enough to explore their whole discography, or even go beyond a single album.
I'm guilty of that, it is strange because 20 years ago I was the type of person to listen to entire discographies. I just can't get interested in that anymore, I want to listen to music I love, there is no time to experience and recognize dozens of other albums.
I can't count how many hours I spend listening to shit albums in my life just because I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a hidden gem here and there, what a waste of time lol

LNFSG is officially platinum, but once updated it will become 4X Platinum. Slave To The Rhythm should be certified GOLD as well.
It is really cool that a non single posthumous song like Chicago will soon be eligible for Gold.

That wouldn't happen 20 years ago. God bless streaming and tiktok.
Another post on MJ's certifications from RIAA. This time specifically referring to albums. Right now he's been certified for US sales of 89 million albums. This list is mostly up to date, but there are some missing sales. As of today they are as follows:

-Off The Wall has just passed 10X platinum (Diamond) certification
-Dangerous is now at 9X Platinum
-HIStory is now at 9X Platinum
-Invincible is now at 3X Platinum
-Xscape is now at Platinum

-Thriller is 200K away from being 35X platinum, should happen by end of year with Thriller 40.
-Bad is 300K away from being 12X platinum, should happen by early next year.

So if the estate was to do an update early next year they could add another 6.5 million sales to his tally taking MJ to 95.5 million albums sold in USA.
It is crazy to think that in the next decade, Michael can have five Diamond albums. That is mindblowing.

I just hope that Sony don't wait forever to ask RIAA for updated certifications like they usually tend to do.

I added one stream for chicago today 🥰 both versions. It looks like it will break the 100 million barrier in the next 6 months.
I would be surprised if there is another legacy artist out there with as many 100 million streamed songs as Michael, especially when adding the jackson 5

The next 3 songs to hit the 100 million streams milestone will be Hold my hand (98million), who’s loving you (97 million) and earth song (94 million)

I hate that streams are not added up. Thriller has 430 million streams and the version on number ones has 89 million.
black or white has 172 million streams on Dangerous but 186 million streams on number ones
Earth song would already be over 100 million if the. Umber ones edit was added up (+19million)
you rock my world 68 million on number ones and 82 million on Invincible
shake your body 61 million on the essential and 16 million on destiny

there are probably more exemples.

But what strikes me most is how few streams the 4 epic Jacksons albums get despite being 99% MJ vocals and with lots of writing and production credits to booth. The streams for shake your body on Destiny compared with those of the essential are a clear example of that.

Last edited:
Blame On The Boogie is certified Platinum in the UK for units sold of 600,000.

It is The Jacksons (not Jackson 5) first platinum single in the UK.

4 epic Jacksons albums get despite being 99% MJ vocals and with lots of writing and production credits to booth. The streams for shake your body on Destiny compared with those of the essential are a clear example of that.
It's so interesting you posted this. Just tonight I listened to a Jackson's album I had not ever listened to yet. As you know, I am taking my time getting through ALL the MJ material. So there are a few later J5 and Jackson's albums I haven't explored yet. Anyway, as I listened I was floored realizing how I have SO much more MJ to enjoy still. Like how could I possibly not indulge in every single thing with his incredible voice and energy. As I was listening I was just so touched hearing his sweet voice and realizing how lucky we are that he gave so much his whole life. I wish more MJ fans recognized his music pre-OTW!

Number Ones has sold 103,000 units in the UK so far this year. There are still 11 weeks of the year remaining and given that Number Ones sells around 2,400 weekly units on average, I expect it sell a further 26,400 units in 2022 bringing its overall total to 129,400.

For comparison, in 2021, Numbers One sold 119,800 units.

Number Ones has sold 103,000 units in the UK so far this year. There are still 11 weeks of the year remaining and given that Number Ones sells around 2,400 weekly units on average, I expect it sell a further 26,400 units in 2022 bringing its overall total to 129,400.

Take into account that december sales are usually substantially higher for many albums

Great info, thank you!

Something I am curious about is how Thriller 40 (or anniversary releases in general) impact general sales across an artist's discography? How does a rerelease of one album impact the streams/purchases of the others, including compilations like Number Ones and the Essential Michael Jackson? Do we generally see an increase across the discography? If so, I'm wondering if the sales for Number Ones your mentioning might increase post T40's release. No idea if there is anything to this though.

Back