The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

Indeed. I made a similar comment recently on the thread about Michael blogs. I'm just blown away by the hard work, dedication, determination, persistence and focus of Michael's fans. It's awesome. I really do salute them. They never give up.
Absolutely!! Tbh, Michael's fans are part of why I became a fan. When I first start getting his videos recommended to me, I had nothing against him at all, but I sort of assumed some bad stuff about him might have been true. Mostly, I just never really thought about it. Reading so many passionate fans defending him, speaking highly of him, sharing insights into him, etc. in the comment sections on YouTube made me think "hmm...maybe I'm misinformed about him" which is part of why I stuck around and continued watching (he's the main reason, let's be honest, but you catch my drift). This is one of the many reasons I give his fans so much credit and have such hope for his legacy. I'm literally here because fan uploads/edits/comments etc. circulated into my vision and made me interested!

Last edited:
Yeah, I just read on Billboard that she released 20 separate versions of 'Midnights.' That certainly put into perspective all these records she's breaking. No offense to her. I have no problem with Taylor. I'm not a fan, but I have nothing against her. I just think it's kind of crazy how inflated a lot of current records seem to be.

Yeah, I actually do think top 10 is possible. It's going to be very hard though. Drake is apparently also dropping some kind of a collab album on October 28th, as well as one of the guys from BTS. I mean, 'Thriller' is going to have a tough time cracking the top 10.

That said... several big artists dropping could also dilute the individual power of each album. Either way, if it got to #19 last year I see no way it won't perform better this year. Not just because of Thriller 40, but because Michael currently has the most monthly listeners and YouTube subscribers he has ever had at this point (please correct me if I'm wrong on this). Also, there is a rumored Halloween playlist that Spotify will be dropping that includes Thriller, so if that turns out to be true that will certainly help.

That's basically where I'm at. I'm going to do everything in my power as an American fan to stream the hell out of Thriller... I may even buy the digital single (which will mark my first ever digital music purchase lol). I'm not expecting #1, but I never really was. I'm hoping for top 10. I want it for Michael so badly. But I also want it for the fan community that is pushing so freaking hard for Thriller 40 to succeed. I'm still blown away by the website made by FANS to honor the album. I mean, some of these fans are tireless and I admire that.
Most new album releases fizzle out pretty quickly now days. Beyoncé is a good example, Taylor will have a longer run with her album I’m sure, she’s a better artist. There are a few big releases coming up soon.

Yeah, I just read on Billboard that she released 20 separate versions of 'Midnights.' That certainly put into perspective all these records she's breaking. No offense to her. I have no problem with Taylor. I'm not a fan, but I have nothing against her. I just think it's kind of crazy how inflated a lot of current records seem to be.
That is exactly why I hate it when the records of current artists are compared to records of artists of the past.

You can now release an album and have all the tracks on the album appear on the chart. In MJ's day, only songs that there officially released as singles could chart. It is a totally different ball game now and comparisons between current artists with artists of the past make zero sense.
For myself, I'm quite calm. What will be will be. J5 didn't have their first 4 singles go to No.1 in the UK. Even after Michael died MITM still didn't get to No.1 in the UK. I'm content to wait and see how it pans out. Maybe we'll get a nice surprise, you never know.
I live in the UK so I am more concerned with the UK charts. Thriller reached #40 last year. I will be happy if it reached anywhere between 30-40 this year. That would be great.

The Belgian Back Catalogue Singles top 30 the first full week after MJ had passed away.
This is dominating, lets see Taylor Swift try that :devilish:

1 Beat it
2 Billie Jean
3 Thriller
4 Smooth Criminal
5 Don't Stop Till You Get Enough
6 Dirty Diana
7 Wanna Be Starting Something
8 Heal The World
9 Black Or White
10 Ben
11 Bad
12 Diep Rood - Yasmine
13 I Want You Back
14 Rock With You
15 The Way You Make Me Feel
16 They Don't Care About Us
17 Human Nature
18 Liberian Girl
19 Off The Wall
20 You Rock My World
21 Earth Song
22 The Girl Is Mine
23 Man In The Mirror
24 We Are The World
25 ABC
26 PYT
27 Liefde Van Men Leven - Yasmine
28 Go - Moby
29 Hotel California - Eagles
30 I Just Can't Stop Loving You

This dominance lasted for weeks, the following weeks tracks like will you be there, gone too soon, remember the time, give in to me, I'll be there would all make an appearance as well. The first week of 2010 a good half year later he still had 5 tracks in the top 30, then I stopped clicking cause I got tired :p

Now please note that this chart did not have new releases charting, just old hits

Is it realistic for Thriller to reach #1 this year?

Would be a fantastic achievemend if Thriller also became a #1 hit song :)

Is it realistic for Thriller to reach #1 this year?

Would be a fantastic achievemend if Thriller also became a #1 hit song :)
Tbh, it is very unlikely for a near 40 year old song to reach number 1, that too without any promotion. Halloween season is also just a week long, unlike the Christmas season which is nearly two months.

I say top 10-20 is more likely which is still amazing.

The Belgian Back Catalogue Singles top 30 the first full week after MJ had passed away.
Thanks for this, f&m. It was lovely to see this.

Similar story in the UK. The immediate aftermath of Michael dying was shocking and devastating in equal measure. But, ngl, I did get a lot of comfort from the way the UK charts just filled up with his music. I myself didn't buy any of his records until after he died. It was one of the most extraordinary things I've ever witnessed. I'm not saying I was surprised. I wasn't. But to see it play out the way it did was beyond anything I could have imagined.

This dominance lasted for weeks,
IIRC, it did in the UK also. I found it so helpful.

the following weeks tracks like will you be there, gone too soon, remember the time, give in to me, I'll be there would all make an appearance as well. The first week of 2010 a good half year later he still had 5 tracks in the top 30, then I stopped clicking cause I got tired :p
I can't remember if this was the case in the UK. Maybe it faded quicker here. But he still had a good run.

That is exactly why I hate it when the records of current artists are compared to records of artists of the past.

You can now release an album and have all the tracks on the album appear on the chart. In MJ's day, only songs that there officially released as singles could chart. It is a totally different ball game now and comparisons between current artists with artists of the past make zero sense.

I live in the UK so I am more concerned with the UK charts. Thriller reached #40 last year. I will be happy if it reached anywhere between 30-40 this year. That would be great.
All of this.

If just The Estate would participate with HUGE promotion, new Thriller 4K video - Thriller single with a good b-side so people would buy it.

Promotion and huge involvment from The Estate is needed if Thriller should be #1.
I agree completely. Though it is pretty cool that Prince, The Jacksons, Jackie, Tito, and Siggy Jackson all promoted it on their Instagram pages. It's nice to see the family all share it. It shows that they pay attention to the fan community.

Last edited:
If just The Estate would participate with HUGE promotion, new Thriller 4K video - Thriller single with a good b-side so people would buy it.

Promotion and huge involvment from The Estate is needed if Thriller should be #1.
Indeed. I'm still wondering if these 'activations' are going to continue throughout next year as each single reaches its 40th. I'm not saying that would be a great idea. I'm just wondering if that's how they are going to play it. For sure, it would make more sense to focus on the album as a whole. Then again, the actual T40 is the end of November so maybe they are working towards the official anniversary rather than focusing on the Halloween aspect. Who knows? 🤷‍♀️

This dominance lasted for weeks, the following weeks tracks like will you be there, gone too soon, remember the time, give in to me, I'll be there would all make an appearance as well. The first week of 2010 a good half year later he still had 5 tracks in the top 30,

Hopefully not derailing but couldn't resist adding these reports from 2009:

1 - Billboard report

Surge For Michael Jackson Sales, Airplay Across Europe

In the week following his death, sales and airplay for Michael Jackson have increased significantly across Europe.

By Andre Paine 07/3/2009

"As previously reported, the most immediate impact in an established national chart was in the U.K. on Sunday (June 28), when the Official Charts Company (OCC) revealed that Jackson held 11 of the top 200 album positions and 43 of the top 200 singles in the U.K." (emphasis added)

And also this report:

2 - Reuters

Michael Jackson radio airplay soars after death​

By Silvio Pietroluongo JUNE 30, 2009

"According to research provided by Nielsen BDS of monitored airplay from over 1,600 terrestrial and satellite radio stations, 143 of Jackson’s recordings totaled 67,383 plays for the week ending June 28, up 1,735% from the previous week’s sum of 3,671 plays.

After having just one song, “Rock With You,” post more than 500 plays in the week prior to his death, 22 of Jackson’s tracks eclipsed 1,000 plays this past week, led by his biggest Billboard Hot 100 hit, “Billie Jean” (4,500 spins). That total places the track at No. 51 among all current or recurrent titles for the week."

If he is really behind Beyonce then her popularity has fallen dramatically.

From everything I have seen, he is ahead of her specifically in sales. But what's interesting is that she released an album this summer that was massively critically acclaimed, and she dominated the pop charts for awhile with it. Her album has been number 1 and/or in the top 10 on Billboard since its release. So I do think she's still very popular. Which makes all of this more interesting to me. The fact that MJ still sells a lot tells me that people see a value in owning MJ's music, whereas they maybe don't see that value as much in other artists.

Also, I'm pretty sure someone on this board at one time explained that pre-orders count for the week of release, so I don't believe these MJ numbers should be reflecting Thriller 40 pre-orders yet. I could be wrong about that though.

From everything I have seen, he is ahead of her specifically in sales. But what's interesting is that she released an album this summer that was massively critically acclaimed, and she dominated the pop charts for awhile with it. Her album has been number 1 and/or in the top 10 on Billboard since its release. So I do think she's still very popular. Which makes all of this more interesting to me. The fact that MJ still sells a lot tells me that people see a value in owning MJ's music, whereas they maybe don't see that value as much in other artists.

Also, I'm pretty sure someone on this board at one time explained that pre-orders count for the week of release, so I don't believe these MJ numbers should be reflecting Thriller 40 pre-orders yet. I could be wrong about that though.
Oh probably physical sales then.
Honestly I don’t often hear Beyonce’s new music on the radio but I could be listening to the wrong station.

I just checked her latest single “cuff it” is getting airplay but not on the traditionally big radio stations. She is played a lot on a station for youth and recently graduated people apparently.
This station barely plays older artists. If they play queen or MJ it are only 2 or 3 songs a week

Last edited:
How can it say more than 1 million album units sold in 2022 in the upper post, but only 774.000 albums sold in the next??
Yeah this is what confused me, because supposedly both are US figures. However, one is from Chart Data and the other is "supposedly" from Billboard. All I could think is that perhaps the bottom one is older information? However I've seen both circulated heavily on Twitter from accounts I typically trust with no one calling out this difference, so it makes me feel like I'm just missing something. Idk, but it bothers me lol

How can it say more than 1 million album units sold in 2022 in the upper post, but only 774.000 albums sold in the next??
I love this thread but it also does my head in. Stats and me, we don't go together, lol. This right here is *exactly* the sort of thing I get confused about.

sorry i'm New around here !! hello everybody,the sales chart it's near my entire Life,sorry for my vert bad english i'm french !!,the 774,000 us SPS only based on billboard 200,over one million us SPS based all mj's album !!!,all mj's album SPS around 25,000 US SPS by week.

sorry i'm New around here !! hello everybody,the sales chart it's near my entire Life,sorry for my vert bad english i'm french !!,the 774,000 us SPS only based on billboard 200,over one million us SPS based all mj's album !!!,all mj's album SPS around 25,000 US SPS by week.
Beltrano you made things even more confusing

Welcome, @beltrano!! Thanks for jumping in here. Let me see if I understand what you're saying...

So what you are suggesting is that for the 774,000 figure, this is looking JUST at the albums on the Billboard 200, whereas the Chart Data info putting MJ at 1 million sales is including ALL of Michael's albums? If that's what you mean, this would mean that the 774,000 figure only includes sales of Thriller and the Essential Michael Jackson since both of those have been on the BB 200 all year (and much longer than that). Is that correct?

Where I was a little confused is the SPS (streaming plus sales, right?) because I thought these figures were representing pure sales.

Last edited:
Back