The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

I want to know that, also!

Yes! The others I understand but not that one.

I got this from Google:

'Between themselves'

but I want to know Agonum's thoughts. Although he did say he liked the sound of the word, iirc, so maybe the meaning isn't the main focus. šŸ¤”
Yes, youā€™ve got it right. I like the sound of it.

ā€˜Between themselvesā€™ could work, too.

Great finds!
I wonder what the four dots button in the first picture meansšŸ¤”
And in the second one I was captivated by the A with the circle on top))))
The ā€œA with the circle on topā€ is ā€˜Ć„,ā€™ the 26th letter of the Swedish alphabet.

"So I have been translating since manual typewriters, carbon paper and Tippex were the way of working (and if you made more than a small mistake you had to retype the whole page). Ditto dictionaries, phoning institutions for help with terms, and writing letters with envelopes and stamps. I have followed the entire path from there to electric typewriters, early computers with magnetic cards, the advent of the World Wide Web, the internet, email zoom and so forth.

What are some of your most interesting translation projects?

The three authors I have translated several books by, Kerstin Ekman, Selma Lagerlƶf and Annika Thor are close to my heart, but I have enjoyed almost every project upon which I have embarked. This summer has included a new series of poems by Ingela Strandberg and an excerpt from Olivia Bergdahlā€™s memoir VĆ„rd och omsorg. I quite simply love working with words, puzzling over formulations, and not least answering questions about English for my colleagues who are translating into Swedish."

Wow! SELTA! I never knew! Awesome!

Not like it used to be, though. Used to be a standard part of everyone's working day (or study day, if they were a student). Nowadays, not so much. It's not a museum relic, exactly, but it's not unusual to see an office stationery cupboard with no Tippex products at all.

@bluemoon7 - loving the new photo. It's beautiful :)

Thank you! :) There is a story to it :) And you know part of it, because it started in this thread in August / September last year.

Maybe I told the story already? :unsure: *tries to remember*

a new beautiful word for me ... :D

in German: perlmuttartig ("like nacre")
In Swedish: pƤrlemorartad.

English never seizes to amaze me with its sheer wealth of words! Stephen Fry once said that Great Britainā€™s tradition of writing dictionaries is responsible for this. I donā€™t know how accurate that is, but I think it makes sense.

oh. iswym. That makes sense. Hadn't thought of it like that. Did Germany and Sweden not have their own versions?

<goes on a hunt>

Found this but can't see anything re Swedish language electric typewriters. They must have existed. Surely? šŸ¤”

Tastaturbelegung ā€“ Wikipedia

660px-Deutsche_Tastaturbelegung_E2_nach_DIN_2137-01--2023-08.png

DIN (Deutsche Industrie Norm = German Industry Standard) 2137

Joan Blondell in 'Blonde Crazy', 1931

MV5BOWZhZTNmYTctYWE3Mi00NmRkLWEzYWUtZDliYTdhMzI4ODYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk3NTUwOQ@@._V1_.jpg
Thatā€™s a fitting name!

It sounds very Swedish. So much so, I had to look it up. Her father was born in Poland to a Jewish family, her mother in New York to Irish-American parents. But the name doesnā€™t sound Polish nor Irish to me?

Aha! Was it a stage name, perchance?

I love wild animals ... in the wild.

Every time I see wild animals as pets, I think ZOONOSIS!!!! šŸ˜±
I love wild wild animals, too. Havenā€™t really thought too much about zoonosis, but Iā€™d like to think that it ought to be a major concern in China, what with the uncontrolled market-places they have.

Germany:

Konrad Ernst Otto Zuse (German: [ĖˆkɔnŹaĖt ĖˆtsuĖzə]; 22 June 1910 ā€“ 18 December 1995) was a German civil engineer, pioneering computer scientist, inventor and businessman. His greatest achievement was the world's first programmable computer; the functional program-controlled Turing-complete Z3 became operational in May 1941. Thanks to this machine and its predecessors, Zuse is regarded by some as the inventor and father of the modern computer.[5][6][7][8][9][10]

Germany also - in 2024
Fax Cartoon Stockfotos ā€“ 1.029 Bilder ā€“ Shutterstock
Wow! You never hear about Zuse, do you?

Great finds!
I wonder what the four dots button in the first picture meansšŸ¤”
And in the second one I was captivated by the A with the circle on top))))

Found this in a forum:

The button with the 4 dots is the edge release button. If the car drives to the left and the bell rings you can still type 7 letters, then the keyboard blocks. If you now press the 4 point key, you can continue writing.
(Die Taste mit den 4 Punkten ist die Randlƶsetaste. Wenn der Wagen nach links fƤhrt und klingelt kann man noch 7 Buchstaben tippen, dann blockiert die Tastatur. Wenn jetzt die 4 Punkte Taste gedrĆ¼ckt wird, kann man weiter schreiben.)

I love wild wild animals, too. Havenā€™t really thought too much about zoonosis, but Iā€™d like to think that it ought to be a major concern in China, what with the uncontrolled market-places they have.
Health officials here also warn about getting too much contact to wild animals in general. Also, zoonosis can go both ways :-(

hope, I need to borrow this! It's a perfectly concise, perfectly accurate summation of the last 4 weeks of my life.

Horrible horror, indeed! :(

Wow! Fabulous description of Michael in that gif. Yes to all of this! :D ā¤ļø

Another thing I'd forgotten, lol.

Electric typewriters seemed so groovy but, of course, they brought their own special set of problems / annoyances. They were more temperamental than the old-fashioned workhorses! At least until we got used to them.

I had my own electric typewriter at home, cute little blue thing. Used it for years, loved it to bits!

oh god, Tippex! The liquid was good but so were the little paper slips. Sometimes the liquid was too thick and blobby, if you weren't careful. Otoh, the paper was so small sometimes it disappeared into the innards of the typewriter. :ROFLMAO:

tipp-ex-typewriter-correction-papers-DCKXDC.jpg
This is a Swedish ā€˜slips,ā€™ by the way:

7352147_80_ModelVariant

Found this in a forum:

The button with the 4 dots is the edge release button. If the car drives to the left and the bell rings you can still type 7 letters, then the keyboard blocks. If you now press the 4 point key, you can continue writing.
(Die Taste mit den 4 Punkten ist die Randlƶsetaste. Wenn der Wagen nach links fƤhrt und klingelt kann man noch 7 Buchstaben tippen, dann blockiert die Tastatur. Wenn jetzt die 4 Punkte Taste gedrĆ¼ckt wird, kann man weiter schreiben.)
Huh? šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

But the ā€˜plingā€™ is for telling you that youā€™re closing in on the paperā€™s edge! If you write seven more characters after that, wouldnā€™t you move out of the paper?

Same here: "Schlips" (more formal: "Krawatte")

Oh, wait, yours is a fake one lol. Th ekind you just put on without binding a proper "Krawattenknoten"
What theā€¦ I didnā€™t notice! Thatā€™s unacceptable! Not a proper slips, dang it!

We have ā€˜kravatt,ā€™ too, but itā€™s not strictly slipsar but ā€œmanshalsdukā€ in general!

ā€œIā€™m Michael Jackson and youā€™re Tito!ā€ šŸ˜…

Thatā€™s a fitting name!

It sounds very Swedish. So much so, I had to look it up. Her father was born in Poland to a Jewish family, her mother in New York to Irish-American parents. But the name doesnā€™t sound Polish nor Irish to me?

Aha! Was it a stage name, perchance?
Usually with Hollywood it is but not this time. Her Dad was Jewish and his name (this is from Wiki) was Bluestein but he gave himself the stage name of Blondell.

Joan Blondell is my top fave Hollywood blonde! :)

In Swedish: pƤrlemorartad.

English never seizes to amaze me with its sheer wealth of words! Stephen Fry once said that Great Britainā€™s tradition of writing dictionaries is responsible for this. I donā€™t know how accurate that is, but I think it makes sense.
I don't understand Stephen Fry's point. Wot's he on about? The sheer number of other languages incorporated into English, the diversity of it, that seems much more likely to me. I would go and look for comments on this by David Crystal but am too tired and need to flee quite soon.

What have we got? French, Sanskrit, Latin, Greek, Spanish, Hindi, Arabic, German, Dutch, Yiddish. Those are the main ones I can remember, there might be more. I think the Norse invaders are in the story, also, but history is not my strong point, lol. The colonial aspect of British history has to be in there, surely? I mean, English is an Indo-European language but we have so many words that we have lifted directly from Hindi so the empire thing must have something to do with it, I would think, plus those early invasions by the Vikings, Angles, Saxons not to mention the Romans and the French.

Celtic I'm not sure about. It might be in there but I don't know of any actual words that we have from Celtic languages. But I don't really know. Aeons ago, I used to have a mini library on all of this - a few David Crystal books plus others - but I never really looked into it properly and it fizzled out. The books went to the charity shop, lol.

The English dictionary activity is interesting, sure, and Samuel Johnson was a cool dude but I don't see dictionaries as the reason English is so diverse and rich. Samuel Johnson published his dictionary in the 1750's (I think). The diversity in English was already up and running long before that. I'm no Johnsonian but didn't he write his dictionary bc he was interested in the pronunciation of English? god, I can't remember any of this. A bunch of booksellers asked him to write it bc the existing dictionaries of the time were crap, in their estimation, but I'm sure Johnson's thing was pronunciation more than illustrating the diversity of the language.

I give up! My brain is hurting. But, anyway, I disagree with Mr Fry.

Back