The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

:ROFLMAO: Oh the struggle!

I remember when my Dad finally bought an electronical typewriter. It went off like a machine gun when you used your usual finger hammering technique or stayed on one type for too long. But salvation came in the form of a corrective ribbon!!! :ROFLMAO:

Who remembers this? I still use it today (to correct messy handwriting in letters etc. lol)

View attachment 3408
What do you mean “remember”? As you say, it’s still very much in use.

What do you mean “remember”? As you say, it’s still very much in use.
Not like it used to be, though. Used to be a standard part of everyone's working day (or study day, if they were a student). Nowadays, not so much. It's not a museum relic, exactly, but it's not unusual to see an office stationery cupboard with no Tippex products at all.

@bluemoon7 - loving the new photo. It's beautiful :)

Greta Garbo in Grand Hotel, 1932

Greta-Garbo-in-Grand-Hote-001.jpg

:ROFLMAO: Oh the struggle!

I remember when my Dad finally bought an electronical typewriter. It went off like a machine gun when you used your usual finger hammering technique or stayed on one type for too long. But salvation came in the form of a corrective ribbon!!! :ROFLMAO:

Who remembers this? I still use it today (to correct messy handwriting in letters etc. lol)

View attachment 3408
Wow, an electronic typewriter! I’ve never seen one. Wasn’t even aware of their existence before you brought it up, but now, thinking about it – of course there were! Although their era of reign must have been quite short, replaced by computers a mere few years after coming out on the market… right?

hope, I need to borrow this! It's a perfectly concise, perfectly accurate summation of the last 4 weeks of my life.

Horrible horror, indeed! :(

Wow! Fabulous description of Michael in that gif. Yes to all of this! :D ❤️

Another thing I'd forgotten, lol.

Electric typewriters seemed so groovy but, of course, they brought their own special set of problems / annoyances. They were more temperamental than the old-fashioned workhorses! At least until we got used to them.

I had my own electric typewriter at home, cute little blue thing. Used it for years, loved it to bits!

oh god, Tippex! The liquid was good but so were the little paper slips. Sometimes the liquid was too thick and blobby, if you weren't careful. Otoh, the paper was so small sometimes it disappeared into the innards of the typewriter. :ROFLMAO:

tipp-ex-typewriter-correction-papers-DCKXDC.jpg
I have never seen those slips!

I have never seen those slips!
Tippex papers were fabulous. The liquid could go all blobby or gungy or dry out if the lid wasn't put back on properly or you'd get too much on the brush or the brush would get old and splayed and be hard to use. The papers were great. Very economical. Little bit fiddly until you got used to them. Very Zen. You didn't want to use them in a mad hurry. But they did a great job.

Oh, yes, it looks terrific, but I wouldn’t want to write in Swedish or German on it. Perfect for Latin and English, though.
oh. iswym. That makes sense. Hadn't thought of it like that. Did Germany and Sweden not have their own versions?

<goes on a hunt>

Found this but can't see anything re Swedish language electric typewriters. They must have existed. Surely? 🤔

German Olympia manual keyboard, 1964

QWERTZ! :) 🥳

Keyboard_of_a_German_Olympia_typewriter_1964.jpg
"Swedish portable vintage typewriter skrivmaskin QWERTY keys with Case and Keys Swedish portable typewriter from the 1970s with original carry case, keys."

SAM_1552-1536x864.jpg
Great finds!
I wonder what the four dots button in the first picture means🤔
And in the second one I was captivated by the A with the circle on top))))

Great finds!
I wonder what the four dots button in the first picture means🤔
I want to know that, also!

And in the second one I was captivated by the A with the circle on top))))
Yes! The others I understand but not that one.

I too have already checked on the translator and nothing ((( that's why I asked))
I got this from Google:

'Between themselves'

but I want to know Agonum's thoughts. Although he did say he liked the sound of the word, iirc, so maybe the meaning isn't the main focus. 🤔

omg, Norton bikes! Keith Emerson used to ride a Norton 750 🥵

(this is actually a crap photo but it's the only one I can find that confirms this is a Norton. I don't think he rode other models but I'm not sure).

EwIpP-lXAAc_oAa.jpg:large

"So I have been translating since manual typewriters, carbon paper and Tippex were the way of working (and if you made more than a small mistake you had to retype the whole page). Ditto dictionaries, phoning institutions for help with terms, and writing letters with envelopes and stamps. I have followed the entire path from there to electric typewriters, early computers with magnetic cards, the advent of the World Wide Web, the internet, email zoom and so forth.

What are some of your most interesting translation projects?

The three authors I have translated several books by, Kerstin Ekman, Selma Lagerlöf and Annika Thor are close to my heart, but I have enjoyed almost every project upon which I have embarked. This summer has included a new series of poems by Ingela Strandberg and an excerpt from Olivia Bergdahl’s memoir Vård och omsorg. I quite simply love working with words, puzzling over formulations, and not least answering questions about English for my colleagues who are translating into Swedish."

I realized all of this on my own. I wonder what this word means, the sound of which you like))))
It’s a cool word! Its roots is in Old Swedish ‘sin i mællum.’ In English, it would be “amongst each other.”

Back