The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

@Agonum - FYI

Very tired so have only read the opening few paragraphs but it seems interesting.

I love this so far. Slowly working my way through that table at the moment. There are quite a few errors which could have been avoided by conferring with a Swede! But even so, quite the mind blow, this – I never knew Old English was so close to the Nordic/Germanic languages!

OEMESwedish
hinehimhan

This is incorrect. The accusative case of the pronoun ‘han’ (he) is ‘honom.’ And the Old English word here is much closer to the accusative case of the pronoun ‘hon’ (she), that is, ‘henne.’

Just something I realized when stumbling upon ‘asunder.’ It’s really interesting, the connections between languages.

Maybe if Swedish was the tongue of more than a measly nine million people, then maybe (just maybe) it could make sense for it to be taught in the UK. I mean, that has to play a role here, don’t you think?
Further thoughts - I'm willing to bet a lot of it is historical / political. I don't think Britain and Sweden have overlapped much in history or politics. Have any Swedish royals married British royals? Our royals were always marrying French or Spanish peeps. Obviously loads of overlap with Germany. Hapsburgs etc. I bet that's more of a reason than Sweden being a small country. Plus the Western European countries were always competing with each other over various bits of the world that they wanted to control. Sweden didn't do much of that, did it? In fact, did it do any of that? I don't think so.

So there doesn't seem to be a strong connection.

This is just guesswork on my part. 🤷‍♀️

Jem really is the most dynamic video ever. I love it though, it blends so well with the music.
For you, hope! :)

31a7b6977ae6d8aa4273304b2f37eae7.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me how effective Michael's therapy is )))), how this man's energy and his music make you feel better in a difficult time.

I love this so far. Slowly working my way through that table at the moment. There are quite a few errors which could have been avoided by conferring with a Swede! But even so, quite the mind blow, this – I never knew Old English was so close to the Nordic/Germanic languages!
I'm aware of it but rarely take the time to find out more. That said, I've just bought a book called 'Winters in the World: a journey through the Anglo-Saxon Year' which looks at the cycle of the year as observed by the Anglo-Saxons and examines some of the poetry and literature along the way. I'm knackered atm so not sure this is the best book for me to be tackling just now but we shall see. It's meant to be for a general readership so I'm hoping I can just dip in and out.

OEMESwedish
hinehimhan

This is incorrect. The accusative case of the pronoun ‘han’ (he) is ‘honom.’ And the Old English word here is much closer to the accusative case of the pronoun ‘hon’ (she), that is, ‘henne.’
I got a bit tired working through that long list so I'll have to get back to it another day. But the bits I looked at were interesting. Of course, I won't know where the mistakes are but I'm not going to be studying it in detail or anything. I def want to re-read his thoughts.

This one
ástígeðrisesstig (move in/walk)

…doesn’t make sense. Emendation:

ástígeðrisen(upp)stigen

It never ceases to amaze me how effective Michael's therapy is )))), how this man's energy and his music make you feel better in a difficult time.
I agree. I've been using quite a lot of Michael therapy lately. It definitely helps. It can't solve anything but it does help. So many ways to access Michael therapy - photos, his songs, a little video clip of him smiling and looking bashful (and beautiful). 🥰

I agree. I've been using quite a lot of Michael therapy lately. It definitely helps. It can't solve anything but it does help. So many ways to access Michael therapy - photos, his songs, a little video clip of him smiling and looking bashful (and beautiful). 🥰
Of course it won't solve the problem, but it helps to stop being sad and gives strength to start acting))))

Further thoughts - I'm willing to bet a lot of it is historical / political. I don't think Britain and Sweden have overlapped much in history or politics. Have any Swedish royals married British royals? Our royals were always marrying French or Spanish peeps. Obviously loads of overlap with Germany. Hapsburgs etc. I bet that's more of a reason than Sweden being a small country.
The current Swedish royal blood is French. Bernadotte. But our queen is German/Brazilian!

Plus the Western European countries were always competing with each other over various bits of the world that they wanted to control. Sweden didn't do much of that, did it? In fact, did it do any of that? I don't think so.
O, we’ve been fighting! That was a long, long time ago, though, and the Nordic countries have mostly fought each other. We’ve ventured into the Baltic countries and Poland on occasion. Long, long ago.

So there doesn't seem to be a strong connection.
Agreed. In fact, I think the viking connection must be the closest one.

🤷

The current Swedish royal blood is French. Bernadotte. But our queen is German/Brazilian!

O, we’ve been fighting! That was a long, long time ago, though, and the Nordic countries have mostly fought each other. We’ve ventured into the Baltic countries and Poland on occasion. Long, long ago.
And to us, too. I was surprised how far they had come and how long we had them)))))

Actually, I do sometimes watch Wembley. Lousy picture quality but some lovely shots of the crowd rocking out.

I love his exclamation at the beginning of the song.
And in general, it's such a powerful start to the concert! The suddenness of the appearance, the music, the special effects, the emotions of the audience. I think I would have fainted 😅😅😅😅.

@Agonum

Surely you know this poem by Tennyson? It's really famous.

I’m embarrassed to say, I’m not sure. The “Break, break, break” lines seems vaguely familiar.

But this is good! Really good. Many layers.

Back