The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

duck-786dd4b5096bb8ba528fd14bbbaa74f4db937a3c-s1000-c85.webp
Unusual. Why are they lined up like that?

I’m certainly no expert, either.
Futurama. I just checked. Didn't know this one, never heard of it or watched it. At least I know I'm not going mad. Matt Groening's style is unmistakeable. And he seems to give all of his cartoon characters the overbite.

Edit: As I said, I just use it to convey general suspicion, much the same way as I would use 🤔.
I use 🤔 to mean "thoughtful" No suspicion))))) And suspicious is 🧐 to me.
🤔

I also use it to mean 'thoughtful' and sometimes use it to mean I'm thinking about stuff right now but mostly use it as a way of asking a question. Actually, I use it in an irritating way. Pedantic. If I ask someone a question I very often put this emoji after the full stop. Why? Do I think that language on its own is insufficient? Do I think the question mark at the end of a sentence is confusing? Why do I add the emoji? I don't do it every time. It's for emphasis but I'm not sure why a question needs emphasis.

The emojis have got me. :eek:

I made this and tasted it ))) it was without the cucumbers and capers. It turned out to have a delicate flavor. I liked it. I think your kefir idea makes sense, the spiciness could use some spice. Next time I'll add capers or cucumbers, I wonder how that will affect the flavor🤔🤔🤔🤔
Good luck with getting kefir tomorrow😀😀😀😀
I haven't had time to make it, too much happening this afternoon. Going to try tomorrow. Still very excited. I have everything I need and it's a quick recipe. It will take longer for it to cool down than it will to make it.

I wonder if there are scientific studies on this topic. For example, the choice of emoji as... (No imagination to come up with a sequel 😅😅😅😅)
I have often wondered if peeps are researching this stuff. They must be, right? How we communicate online, our language choices and how they differ from our RL vocab choices. Certainly our use of emojis and our understanding of them has to be something people would want to study. The behavioural psychologists must be interested in this stuff. Or anthropologists. Linguists, possibly.

Do I need 🤔 here or should I leave it? :ROFLMAO:

I use 🤔 to mean "thoughtful" No suspicion))))) And suspicious is 🧐 to me.
I’ve pondered. Most of the time, I use 🤔 the same way you do! I would name it “jag funderar.” Only occassionally traces of suspicion are present, but the underlying and main quality is still that of thinking.

I think your 🧐 is also a good fit.
I've never used that. And I just picked🧐 as something that looks like suspicion to me.
I wonder 🤨 can mean suspicion?
Yes. I think that has to be accurate. And 🤨 and 🧐 must be closely related, the latter signifying a higher degree of whatever it turns out to mean.

🤨 = I just heard/saw/read something that I have a hard time believing. ⸻So indeed, in my interpretation and use of the emoji, there’s some suspicion (“I suspect something not to be correct”).

Unusual. Why are they lined up like that?
I think there’s a half-submerged log in the water that they all are resting on. You can make it out in the further (‘bortre’) part of the line/photo.

I have often wondered if peeps are researching this stuff. They must be, right? How we communicate online, our language choices and how they differ from our RL vocab choices. Certainly our use of emojis and our understanding of them has to be something people would want to study. The behavioural psychologists must be interested in this stuff. Or anthropologists. Linguists, possibly.

I was curious and found scholarly articles on the topic of emotion. In one I came across that simply views this phenomenon as the formation of a new language. Looking at the benefits and problems of using emoji. Turns out there are about 3,500 of them now.😯

Futurama. I just checked. Didn't know this one, never heard of it or watched it. At least I know I'm not going mad. Matt Groening's style is unmistakeable. And he seems to give all of his cartoon characters the overbite.

🤔

I also use it to mean 'thoughtful' and sometimes use it to mean I'm thinking about stuff right now but mostly use it as a way of asking a question. Actually, I use it in an irritating way. Pedantic. If I ask someone a question I very often put this emoji after the full stop. Why? Do I think that language on its own is insufficient? Do I think the question mark at the end of a sentence is confusing? Why do I add the emoji? I don't do it every time. It's for emphasis but I'm not sure why a question needs emphasis.

The emojis have got me. :eek:
I really can relate to these thoughts of yours!

I wonder if there are scientific studies on this topic. For example, the choice of emoji as... (No imagination to come up with a sequel 😅😅😅😅)
The geocultural aspect of it is truly interesting.

I think, because you end with two very short sentences, that 🤔 is the best choice. Not sure why I think so, though. 🤔

I think, because you end with two very short sentences, that 🤔 is the best choice. Not sure why I think so, though. 🤔
Possibly we're getting our wires crossed. It wasn't a choice between 🤔 and :ROFLMAO:

Plus, I was just taking the 'p' out of myself.

Mick, too?
OF COURSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you not been paying attention? Whaddya mean, Mick too? I was into Mick Jagger before I even knew about my darling Jimi. The Stones were on my radar from the early 60's. I Wanna Be Your Man. Not Fade Away. It's All Over Now. Little Red Rooster. The Last Time. Satisfaction.

I mean, my god! My boys! 😲

Jimi is my guy and he will always be my guy but Hey Joe didn't get released until really late 1966, iirc. It wouldn't have been on my radar until 1967, I don't think. I can't be really sure after all this time but I think it was Purple Haze that got to me first. That was early 1967. It always feels like 1967 was my Jimi year. In any case, I was into the Stones before I knew about Jimi. He is more important to me but ... Mick and Keef. They are my guys. I mean, look at Mick in that photo you posted.

omg !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was curious and found scholarly articles on the topic of emotion. In one I came across that simply views this phenomenon as the formation of a new language. Looking at the benefits and problems of using emoji. Turns out there are about 3,500 of them now.😯
It definitely is a new language and we're seeing it evolve before our eyes. Which is interesting and kinda exciting. And yes to the idea that there are many benefits to using emojis but also that it does create (new) problems.

It's all so fascinating.

How about 😅😆🤣😂? Aren’t they essentially one and the same?
I only ever use :ROFLMAO:

I'm not clear on why I'd need the others. Maybe when people choose those it's an aesthetic thing? I'm just taking a wild guess. I agree with you, I can't really see the gradations across these. I just use the one I think can't be misinterpreted.

I only ever use :ROFLMAO:

I'm not clear on why I'd need the others. Maybe when people choose those it's an aesthetic thing? I'm just taking a wild guess. I agree with you, I can't really see the gradations across these. I just use the one I think can't be misinterpreted.
I tend to juggle between them for the sake of variety!

😊☺️ = ??? The only difference is that one of them have eyebrows?

Back