The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

GettyImages-639512484-696x523.jpg

Mikail Iosif Jackov

@hope shouldn't it be like this in russian?
I don't think so. You listed three names. We don't have a middle name. There is a middle name, which is always a derivative of the father's name. And the last name is not just Yakov, but the son of Yakov, and that would be Yakovlev. We address Michael as Mikhail Iosifovich)))) - Which is a respectful form of addressing an adult.
And "Something else" (I don't know the exact quote from Columbo, but he says something along those lines).
The name Michael has short and affectionate forms: Misha, Mishenka, Mishka (that's what they call little bears)))).

I watched the pilot episode of Columbo. Turns out it came out in 1971. I used to watch the later episodes. I'm impressed, such intense dialog, you have to pay attention and watch every word. I love that. Peter Falk was heavily involved in the series and wrote the script for several episodes. 😯

And the last name is not just Yakov, but the son of Yakov, and that would be Yakovlev.
never heard of the -lev/leva ending before. when exactly is it used?

I was only aware of -ov/ova & -yev/yeva.

I watched the pilot episode of Columbo. Turns out it came out in 1971. I used to watch the later episodes. I'm impressed, such intense dialog, you have to pay attention and watch every word. I love that. Peter Falk was heavily involved in the series and wrote the script for several episodes. 😯
There's also a made made-for-TV movie (Prescription: Murder) from 1968.

I don't think so. You listed three names. We don't have a middle name. There is a middle name, which is always a derivative of the father's name. And the last name is not just Yakov, but the son of Yakov, and that would be Yakovlev. We address Michael as Mikhail Iosifovich)))) - Which is a respectful form of addressing an adult.
And "Something else" (I don't know the exact quote from Columbo, but he says something along those lines).
The name Michael has short and affectionate forms: Misha, Mishenka, Mishka (that's what they call little bears)))).
Yakov – Jakob
Yakovlev – Jakobson
👍

in arabic he would be called

Michael Joseph ben Joseph Walter ben Samual Joseph (M.J. son of J.W. son of S.J.)

Michael would be Mikahil; Joseph -> Yousuf: Walter -> ??; Samual -> Shamual

never heard of the -lev/leva ending before. when exactly is it used?

I was only aware of -ov/ova & -yev/yeva.
The suffix -lev is more of an exception.
The surname Yakovleva was created by adding the suffix "-lev", which means "son". Thus, Yakovlev becomes "son of Yakov".

Ah, I see! I wasn’t paying attention. Yes, indeed, we abbreviate ‘nummer’ (number) as ‘nr.’ But I like your version better. It has a more “classical’ look to it. That is, however, if I can have it without the full stop. Since it’s a contraction of Latin ‘numero,’ and since I’ve recently learned that you fellow Brits don’t put periods after contractions, this instigates a 😲.
P.S. I've read several newspapers today all of which carry a little story about George Michael's song getting the top spot in the UK Christmas chart. It's a mixed bag with newspapers using No 1 and No.1 but, as far as I can tell, most seem to be using No 1.

So No.1 is not as ubiquitous as I thought.

P.S. I've read several newspapers today all of which carry a little story about George Michael's song getting the top spot in the UK Christmas chart. It's a mixed bag with newspapers using No 1 and No.1 but, as far as I can tell, most seem to be using No 1.

So No.1 is not as ubiquitous as I thought.
My translator shows both variants No 1 and No.1 the same way. And this № 1 .
And do you use this sign № ?

My translator shows both variants No 1 and No.1 the same way.
I had thought we were only using No.1 in the UK even though it's American style. I couldn't remember seeing it without the full stop. But I see now I might be wrong about that.

And this № 1 .
I haven't seen this for a long, long time. Trying to remember when and where I last saw it, struggling ...

And do you use this sign № ?
This is going to bug me. I'm going to abstain from answering the question. It's doing my head in, lol. :D

I had thought we were only using No.1 in the UK even though it's American style. I couldn't remember seeing it without the full stop. But I see now I might be wrong about that.

I haven't seen this for a long, long time. Trying to remember when and where I last saw it, struggling ...

This is going to bug me. I'm going to abstain from answering the question. It's doing my head in, lol. :D
I'm sorry 🙏🙏😅😅Really I should have kept quiet! You just dealt with two and I've also added a third 😀

I'm sorry 🙏🙏😅😅Really I should have kept quiet!
No, it's fine. It's really interesting. I do think when you are looking at a language as a 'foreign' speaker (for want of a better word!) you often know more about the grammar than the native speakers do. Bc we often take our own language for granted and we absorb the rules and the knowledge of 'best practice' almost unconsciously. I did Latin, Spanish and French at school and used to be able to talk about the grammar of those 3 much more intelligently than I ever could about my own language.

With English, what I do have, apart from just the fact of it being my native tongue, is years and years of reading different types of texts, especially 'classic' literature. I think that, more than anything, is what has shaped my understanding of what makes a good sentence. I might not be able to explain stuff coherently but I can spot a wonky sentence from a thousand yards, lol.

You just dealt with two and I've also added a third 😀
It's cool. You have a lively, intelligent, scholastic approach to this. Agonum is quite forensic. I gyrate madly back and forth between being somewhat forensic and yet also sloppy and colloquial.

omg! Used to love Columbo

1-peter-falk-in-columbo-1971--album.jpg

Back