The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

‘Själsbror’ or ‘själsbroder,’ yes. Informally ‘Själsbrorsa.’ There is some flexibility in regards to the “fogebokstav” (joining letter), though; ‘själabroder’ is valid, too.
What's the difference between sjal and sjala?

But “nr 1” isn’t proper Swedish,
Oh, that's interesting. This is Google Translate, you understand. I know f&m uses this form.

we would instead use an ordinal number
I'm confused how that would work. Let's pretend (for my sake!) it was in English, would that be Soul Brother First? Soul Brother 1st? Is it one of those examples where you just can't do a direct translation from one to the other?

: ‘Första själsbroder’ (definite form: ‘Första själsbrodern’).
oh, sorry! You've done it here. First Soul Brother. Hm, interesting.

That does change the meaning ever so slightly, imo.

fogebokstav
Word of the day!

heres why
I wonder if this sea horse is a male species and if he is a pregnant one. I never knew they carry their young and deliver it until I did a little more research today. :) Have a nice Sunday, my friends! Seahorse Seahorses are truly unique, and not just because of their unusual equine shape. Unlike most other fish, they are monogamous and mate for life. Rarer still, they are among the only animal species on Earth in which the male bears the unborn young. Found in shallow tropical and temperate waters throughout the world, these upright-swimming relatives of the pipefish can range in size from 0.6 inches (1.5 centimeters) to 14 inches (35 centimeters) long. Male seahorses are equipped with a brood pouch on their ventral, or front-facing, side. When mating, the female deposits her eggs into his pouch, and the male fertilizes them internally. He carries the eggs in his pouch until they hatch, then releases fully formed, miniature seahorses into the water.
Some frog species do it as well.

heres why
I wonder if this sea horse is a male species and if he is a pregnant one. I never knew they carry their young and deliver it until I did a little more research today. :) Have a nice Sunday, my friends! Seahorse Seahorses are truly unique, and not just because of their unusual equine shape. Unlike most other fish, they are monogamous and mate for life. Rarer still, they are among the only animal species on Earth in which the male bears the unborn young. Found in shallow tropical and temperate waters throughout the world, these upright-swimming relatives of the pipefish can range in size from 0.6 inches (1.5 centimeters) to 14 inches (35 centimeters) long. Male seahorses are equipped with a brood pouch on their ventral, or front-facing, side. When mating, the female deposits her eggs into his pouch, and the male fertilizes them internally. He carries the eggs in his pouch until they hatch, then releases fully formed, miniature seahorses into the water.
“Male species”? 🤨

No difference between ‘själsbroder’ and ‘själabroder,’ other than that they’re using different joiners (fogebokstäver). The meaning is the same.
Oh, that's interesting. This is Google Translate, you understand. I know f&m uses this form.
Swedes use it, too. But that doesn’t make it any less improper.

Not sure how f&m fits in here?

I'm confused how that would work. Let's pretend (for my sake!) it was in English, would that be Soul Brother First? Soul Brother 1st? Is it one of those examples where you just can't do a direct translation from one to the other?
It’s very simple. The English version is ‘the first soul brother.’

I agree! There’s a small but not irrelevant shift in meaning. I would probably opt for a rewrite (omskrivning); something like ‘första rummets själsbroder’ (lit. ‘soul brother of the first room’).

d14b90d76f3cbaf301fd4e00c58c3400.jpg

ht_gastric_brooding_frog_nt_130322_wblog.jpg

Oh, and there are (male) mouthbrooders among fishes, too:
jawfish-mouthbrooding-eggs.jpg

Word of the day!
Haha, “word of the day”! 😆

No difference between ‘själsbroder’ and ‘själabroder,’
OK. I just was intrigued by the extra 'a' and thought it meant something.

Not sure how f&m fits in here?
Bc I write No.1 and he always writes nr 1 and I wasn't fully aware that there was such a difference. I am monolingual and these small details escape me.

It’s very simple. The English version is ‘the first soul brother.’
You've slightly missed my point but no matter, it wasn't that interesting, lol. In English we would never write 'the first soul brother'. It doesn't flow.

själsbroder - this is very pleasing! :)

quit actin up fool
No, I know Michael would say it like that… I mean, as to how it would sound as if he was using the singular form. But I don’t think it should be transcribed that way!

He would really rather say it as “activis,’” now that I think about it.

Seahorses are truly fascinating zin
Nope. Don't like their shape. Have never been interested in the 'male giving birth' thing. Don't like the way they move. None of it. Can't be doing with it.

Whales and dolphins. After that, sea creatures don't really do it for me. I saw a jelly fish on the beach when I was a kid. Don't think I've been the same since!

yep absolutely yes [for me]
Don't like their shape.
Don't get me started
Have never been interested in the 'male giving birth' thing.
best part - magical
Don't like the way they move.
they dance
None of it. Can't be doing with it.
fair enough i hate the food thing here we all have our hate it! /s
nope
and dolphins.
nope nope nope
After that, sea creatures don't really do it for me.
seahorse are another world
I saw a jelly fish on the beach when I was a kid.
what lol
Don't think I've been the same since!
i dont like jelly fish

Back