The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

yep absolutely yes [for me]
Nope.

best part - magical
Not really. Nature does many weird, wonderful and unexpected things but I still can't get that excited about this particular thing. Maybe bc I already knew the frogs also do it. 🤷‍♀️

they dance
Nope. Not for me. They float. Or, rather, they hang about in a weirdly inert (and boring) way.

fair enough i hate the food thing here we all have our hate it! /s
I don't have many, actually. Usually, if peeps are posting stuff I don't like I just ignore and don't engage. But sea horses and frogs def gross me out. Frogs jump around, fgs! Right under your flaming feet!

everyone feels differently woman!
Goes without saying.

did i just drive you all fruit cakey lol
No, I just had some toasted fruit loaf earlier and now I need more. I need to skedaddle!

Bc I write No.1 and he always writes nr 1 and I wasn't fully aware that there was such a difference. I am monolingual and these small details escape me.
Ah, I see! I wasn’t paying attention. Yes, indeed, we abbreviate ‘nummer’ (number) as ‘nr.’ But I like your version better. It has a more “classical’ look to it. That is, however, if I can have it without the full stop. Since it’s a contraction of Latin ‘numero,’ and since I’ve recently learned that you fellow Brits don’t put periods after contractions, this instigates a 😲.

You've slightly missed my point but no matter, it wasn't that interesting, lol. In English we would never write 'the first soul brother'. It doesn't flow.
It suddenly struck me that the royal houses of our both countries holds the answer. And you’re right, we would never put the ordinal anywhere else than where it’s at in “Carl den sextonde (Gustav).” You do it the same way, right? “Elizabeth the first” and so on.

To reiterate my point: Cardinal numbers are properly restricted to listings in Swedish. Not suitable for running text.

yes
Not really. Nature does many weird, wonderful and unexpected things
pretty things too , at times changing colours . leaves ..it's all very interesting i guess
but I still can't get that excited about this particular thing.
well i can and will and you can't n wont . so there we go
Maybe bc I already knew the frogs also do it. 🤷‍♀️
i am not a fan of frogs i kissed too many they disappoint
🤷‍♀️
They float. Or, rather,
they aren't bloomin balloons
they hang about in a weirdly inert (and boring) way.
they bounce , and hang about ~ how's that ?
I don't have many, actually. Usually, if peeps are posting stuff I don't like I just ignore and don't engage.
it's a rolling thread . usually isn't it ?
But sea horses and frogs def gross me out.
fair enough and i'll still post those horses of seaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa and you can still post your afternoon teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeea
Frogs jump around, fgs!
i don't like nor care for them i guess they can be like spiders in a way , the jump friction in some dont care
Right under your flaming feet!
mm that's true
Goes without saying.
dont say it then fs
No, I just had some toasted fruit loaf earlier and now I need more.
good thing
I need to skedaddle!
alright see you later

Last edited:
Now you get it ...took some time 🧜‍♀️
200w.gif

actually, they look like a mutant balloon.
Alright . ill let you have that one . especially when they do that puff thing
Yeah, Fuz got me going, there!
he's always doing it , he's a sugar beast
Well, you started that bit so ...
you'll finish :rolleyes:
Toast in an air fryer doesn't really work.
toast this time of night ...
It comes out too dry, like French toast. Weird.
i'd probably like that maybe dont know

Ah, I see! I wasn’t paying attention. Yes, indeed, we abbreviate ‘nummer’ (number) as ‘nr.’ But I like your version better. It has a more “classical’ look to it. That is, however, if I can have it without the full stop. Since it’s a contraction of Latin ‘numero,’ and since I’ve recently learned that you fellow Brits don’t put periods after contractions, this instigates a 😲.
Thing is, we do use the full stop for No. 1 etc. I think it's an Americanism that we are now stuck with. As for not using full stops after contractions, I think it depends. We write Revd without a full stop but Rev always gets one. And Rev gets used way more than Revd so maybe it's one of those rules with many exceptions.

It suddenly struck me that the royal houses of our both countries holds the answer. And you’re right, we would never put the ordinal anywhere else than where it’s at in “Carl den sextonde (Gustav).” You do it the same way, right? “Elizabeth the first” and so on.
Exactly so.

Thing is, we do use the full stop for No. 1 etc. I think it's an Americanism that we are now stuck with. As for not using full stops after contractions, I think it depends. We write Revd without a full stop but Rev always gets one. And Rev gets used way more than Revd so maybe it's one of those rules with many exceptions.
‘Rev’ isn’t a contraction, though, is it? And therefore it would be wrong not to have it followed by a period.

"Although the Greeks paid special tribute to them, Byzantine and Arab sailors, and even Chinese and European explorers, have stories of dolphins coming to the rescue of humans or ships. It was even said that a boat accompanied by dolphins would definitely find a safe harbor and good weather. Like Jack, a late 19th century dolphin who guided ships across a dangerous strait off the coast of Tasmania."

‘Rev’ isn’t a contraction, though, is it? And therefore it would be wrong not to have it followed by a period.
I do get confused between abbreviations and contractions, lol. Also, tbh, I don't actually care about this. We did do all this stuff at school but it's not madly interesting to me. My understanding of English grammar - or good sentence construction - rests far more on my reading than it does on anything I did at school. Years of reading good journalism (now in free fall, sadly) and classic literature taught me more than school ever did, imo. Or, at least, jammed it into my head more securely.

Back