The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

It still exists? That is ... wow!
Apparently it's not in the best of health these days and has honey fungus so it won't be around for ever. But I believe the tree has been cloned (or something!) and they can keep the genetic line going in the future. I've seen reports saying that the tree is still bearing fruit.

The world of apples is fascinating... there are countless kinds, and soooo many flavours.
One of my fave eating apples is Worcester Permain:

Apple-Worcester-GB-DSC_0043-cr-sq-400x400.jpg

My absolute fave is the Egremont Russet:

malus_domestica_egremont_russet-600x711.jpg

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I love the arrangements / descants that David Willcocks did. It's so nice that they are still used all these years later.

I have only been to one Russian Orthodox service, at the Cathedral in Hyde Park, many years ago. I used to listen to lots of Orthodox sacred choral music and also Armenian sacred music on Radio 3. We were there for 90 minutes, had to leave (we were hungry!) and the service was clearly nowhere near finished. That said, it was beautiful and the choir blew my mind. The singing was very different to Western sacred choral music. They were up in the balcony and you couldn't see them so there was this heavenly sound floating down and surrounding us. It was astonishing, unearthly, exquisite.
Yes, they are located on the balcony and it gives that special effect. And the service can last from 1.5 to 2.5 hours. And most of the parishioners stand, there are few places to sit in the temple.
It was interesting to hear your impression.

I think that cake has a universal language :D There are some recipies that appear in so many different culture, all different varieties but basically the same.

Apple cake seems to be one of those feel good recipies that every one of us has a recipe for, from their mom or grandma. Love it!
I guess it is. It's just a light biscuit with apples. I got my recipe from labor lessons at school and I use it all the time.)))))))

I think that cake has a universal language :D There are some recipies that appear in so many different culture, all different varieties but basically the same.

Apple cake seems to be one of those feel good recipies that every one of us has a recipe for, from their mom or grandma. Love it!
I'm still thinking about apples and puddings, lol. We like steamed puddings in the UK. They're not quite as popular as they used to be but they still have a fanbase, lol. Steamed puds are nice and light. Eve's pudding has apple in it and you'd eat it with custard. Unfortunately, I can't find an acceptable photo of Eve's pudding so I'm having to use this one, of steamed rhubarb pudding, instead. Where the rhubarb is on the top there, that's where the apple would be and then you'd pour a small quantity of custard over it.

recipe-image-legacy-id-1263472_8-8b09a30.jpg

Are they sour?
Yes, Bramley apples are quite sour. You can certainly eat them and I did when I was a kid but mostly you wouldn't. They are for cooking. Stewing or putting into a fruit pie or crumble. Or a cake! :D Granny Smith's - which is an eating apple - is also quite sour and can be used in cooking instead of Bramley's.

Yes, they are located on the balcony and it gives that special effect. And the service can last from 1.5 to 2.5 hours. And most of the parishioners stand, there are few places to sit in the temple.
It was interesting to hear your impression.
Bc I can be incredibly dense sometimes I think I expected the Orhodox service to be fairly similar to a Catholic one. Of course, it's very different. Looks, sounds, feels different. Plus, it was in Russian. I knew the service would be long and I knew there was not a great deal of seating available. Ngl, I did sit down at the side. I couldn't stand for 90 minutes. There were a lot of icons which I should have expected but didn't. Lots of praying going on before the icons. Confession was happening and it was just people queuing up so, again, very different to a Catholic service. The atmosphere was very quiet and prayerful, lots of time for reflection, the choir did that thing where they created an unbroken stream of beautiful, undulating sound that just transfixed me. People were arriving as we were leaving so it all was very sensible and, you know, including the worship into a normal day. It was very lovely.

Yes, Bramley apples are quite sour. You can certainly eat them and I did when I was a kid but mostly you wouldn't. They are for cooking. Stewing or putting into a fruit pie or crumble. Or a cake! :D Granny Smith's - which is an eating apple - is also quite sour and can be used in cooking instead of Bramley's.
🙏
Bc I can be incredibly dense sometimes I think I expected the Orhodox service to be fairly similar to a Catholic one. Of course, it's very different. Looks, sounds, feels different. Plus, it was in Russian. I knew the service would be long and I knew there was not a great deal of seating available. Ngl, I did sit down at the side. I couldn't stand for 90 minutes. There were a lot of icons which I should have expected but didn't. Lots of praying going on before the icons. Confession was happening and it was just people queuing up so, again, very different to a Catholic service. The atmosphere was very quiet and prayerful, lots of time for reflection, the choir did that thing where they created an unbroken stream of beautiful, undulating sound that just transfixed me. People were arriving as we were leaving so it all was very sensible and, you know, including the worship into a normal day. It was very lovely.
Well, I, for example, only know from the movies that there are differences. You couldn't possibly know that))))))
The service isn't exactly in Russian, it's Church Slavonic. We don't speak it. It is similar to Russian in some ways, but there are a lot of obscure words in this language, such as words borrowed from Greek or outdated Slavic words.

Back