The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

A question in between; a lot of notes seem to be directed to an assistant(?) named 'Candy', any info on her..?

"What You Do To Me" and "Bad Girl" have been recorded/mixed by Bill Bottrell at Hayvenhurst.

They both appear in my journals. I don't remember how the songs go. It was just a day or two. Never fleshed out. Maybe some vocals, I don't know.
So it sounds like Bad Girl could be early Bad

I wonder if What You Do To Me morphed into I Like The Way That You Love Me... Hasn't there been some discussion regarding that before?

I wonder if What You Do To Me morphed into I Like The Way That You Love Me... Hasn't there been some discussion regarding that before?
From Damien:

The 1985 registration is a different song to the Invincible sessions song. The track titled “What You Do To Me,” which was registered at the copyright office in 1998, is actually The Way You Love Me.

The 1998 What You Do To Me filing is an early demo of The Way You Love Me. The version I heard had primitive production and only had scratch vocals on the chorus (no verse vocal). However, a lyric sheet for the complete song was also enclosed. MJ is scatting/yodelling at the end.

What You Do To Me [1985] has lyrics/vocals. It's a mid-tempo love song. Similar breezy vibe to Free and I'm So Blue. Chorus lyrics: "You just don't know, you just don't know, what you do to me, do to me, do to me, do-do-do, do to me."

It’s been 8 years since I heard it, so I’m relying on my notes more than my memory. It’s a demo, but my notes do include lyrics from a verse, chorus and bridge, so I’m assuming there is at least enough there to consider it “complete” by some standards.

From Damien:

The 1985 registration is a different song to the Invincible sessions song. The track titled “What You Do To Me,” which was registered at the copyright office in 1998, is actually The Way You Love Me.

The 1998 What You Do To Me filing is an early demo of The Way You Love Me. The version I heard had primitive production and only had scratch vocals on the chorus (no verse vocal). However, a lyric sheet for the complete song was also enclosed. MJ is scatting/yodelling at the end.
What You Do To Me [1985] has lyrics/vocals. It's a mid-tempo love song. Similar breezy vibe to Free and I'm So Blue. Chorus lyrics: "You just don't know, you just don't know, what you do to me, do to me, do to me, do-do-do, do to me."

It’s been 8 years since I heard it, so I’m relying on my notes more than my memory. It’s a demo, but my notes do include lyrics from a verse, chorus and bridge, so I’m assuming there is at least enough there to consider it “complete” by some standards.
Something about this scratches an inch in my brain. The way you love me is one of my favorite latter day songs. But Free and I'm So Blue are some of my favorite 80s demoes.

Basically two different entities sharing DNA and being lovable in both forms is super intriguing.

I like to think that the reason What You Do To Me 1998 turned into The Way You Love Me was because halfway through writing the song Michael realized he already had a song called WYDTM so he quickly changed the title lol

There's also a rumor that MJ reworked the song with Neff-U before his death, so that might explain why the title of the 1998 demo was changed like that. If he still had plans throughout his career to work on the 1985 demo again it would've been confusing to have 2 songs with the same title.

Edit: So I sort of misremembered the rumor, it's not explicitly said that WYDTM was the track that was reworked with Neff-U but given the comparison made to other songs that are said to also be similar to WYDTM, there's a chance it might just be the same song.
No, not these two as far as I know. They did work on updating another song from the Bad sessions, I don't know the title. It's vocally complete and sounds like Fly Away or Loving You.

Last edited:
Didn’t Bill Bottrell say there is a diff mix? Plus that “Final” mix is brickwalled so you aren’t gunna hear that probably anyway.

“Michael never told me why “Monkey Business” didn’t make the record. It had been in the top four priorities as the album came together. It was an adventurously odd thing, sometimes Beatlesque, other times bluesy and dark, and Michael loved the Beatles, but there was an obscure story here. The music and production were quite far along when Michael finally came to me with his lyrics.

“I got Greg Phillinganes in to Westlake studios to lay down a funky wurlitzer, and Jim Horn, the Beatles sax player, to layer some saxes. George Del Barrio’s string arrangement only entered a couple of times, but it evoked the sense of the story with an edgy riff. A lot of love and attention went into that recording. It never occurred to me that it might be left off the Dangerous album. Monkey Business” was eventually released without a final mix, on a rarities record, but without Michael to tell his back-story, it has gone unnoticed.” - Bill Bottrell, July 2019

There were many elements in the song from the studio footage video that was completely omitted from the released version.

^ in addition his posts on X:

I'll think carefully about what to tell.

But as to versions of Monkey Business:

That released version was not particularly any version of distinction. (me-I've never like that version)
Released (like certain other rare tracks) without informing me and without a stamped and approved final mix. they just used that one for some reason.

I have a mission to get to the better versions of Monkey Business, as it's always been a disappointment how it got lost in the end, not on the album, and never got to rise to the level I thought it should.

^ in addition his posts on X:

I'll think carefully about what to tell.

But as to versions of Monkey Business:

That released version was not particularly any version of distinction. (me-I've never like that version)

Released (like certain other rare tracks) without informing me and without a stamped and approved final mix. they just used that one for some reason.

I have a mission to get to the better versions of Monkey Business, as it's always been a disappointment how it got lost in the end, not on the album, and never got to rise to the level I thought it should.
This is like the average MJ fan going to bat for their favorite song lol

For real though, that'd be neat to hear.

Back