The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

It's crazy that Bill had to lock away his tapes during Dangerous sessions because of BS.
Has Brad mentioned the situation? Wasn't Bill a special guest at ITSWMJ at some point or am I thinking of someone else?

Last edited:
Has Bruce mentioned the situation? Wasn't Bill a special guest at ITSWMJ at some point or am I thinking of someone else?
Bill's accused Brad of taking the tapes. This is what he had posted on X (the tweet is now deleted).
He had no access to H'hurst until the last day of my employment, when he showed up late at night and took away all the tapes. To go to Westlake.
This is why, on Dangerous, I bought a locker with padlock.

Bill's accused Brad of taking the tapes. This is what he had posted on X (the tweet is now deleted).
He had no access to H'hurst until the last day of my employment, when he showed up late at night and took away all the tapes. To go to Westlake.
This is why, on Dangerous, I bought a locker with padlock.

This is strange because how did Brad get access to the studio? This had to have been a direct order from Michael or his camp

This is what I feel sometimes since Bill and John said their tapes were stolen from Hayvenhurst without their permission and brought to Westlake.
Would explain why when the laptop was stolen at one of his seminars, nothing was really done about it.

Going to sequence the album in this order and see how it plays out

27337378-10155388419638233-1906997866936910983-n.jpg
God I'd love to hear the considered version of Man In Black. The song is so funky, I can only what it'd be like with killer prime Mike vocals

Last edited:
Yeah, I've always taken this as he was asked to go and collect them.
Had to be a direct order from Michael. He was probably asked to retrieve the material Michael was working on at Hayvenhurst and since Brad was new to the team, he sent him. Plus, if the studio at Hayvenhurst was locked, he had to get the key from someone

Had to be a direct order from Michael. He was probably asked to retrieve the material Michael was working on at Hayvenhurst and since Brad was new to the team, he sent him. Plus, if the studio at Hayvenhurst was locked, he had to get the key from someone
Correct, he said at ITSWMJ event that MJ wanted the tapes and Brad was hesitant to do it, bc he was employed by MJ but also felt it was wrong to take them. He ultimately decided to take them for MJ.

Interesting to get a glimpse of the rivalries and contentions between MJs collaborators. Maybe that's part of the reason he liked swapping out more and more often.
My impression is that MJ truly thrived and instigated the contention between his team. Just listen to MJ cast episode 142. Buxer said something along the lines of “mj definitely didn’t mind the contention, it made people compete, what do you get? The greatest albums of all time” MJ was a business man, he understood how competition between different entities brought out the best of products.

Interesting to get a glimpse of the rivalries and contentions between MJs collaborators. Maybe that's part of the reason he liked swapping out more and more often.
My impression is that MJ truly thrived and instigated the contention between his team. Just listen to MJ cast episode 142. Buxer said something along the lines of “mj definitely didn’t mind the contention, it made people compete, what do you get? The greatest albums of all time” MJ was a business man, he understood how competition between different entities brought out the best of products.
Agreed. Michael loved it but it didn't always end well for the collaborators because some of them ended up bitter about certain situations, with valid reasons I would hope.

I think after a certain point he might've gotten tired of it though? At least for a little while. In the 2000s he ended up with much more malleable young talent (Rodney, Will.I.Am)

But that ultimately lead to less music seemingly on top of his busting, stressful life.

The project evolved over time. I think this is documented well if you search for the "Decade project".

If you listen to the masters from early on towards the end, it's fascinating how the whole thing changed.
While were at it, the instruments and complexity of the songs/demos improved.
it's interesting yes.. Sad also, I hoped there would be some more of 'Man In Black'..

What song for Thriller is Glen Ballard talking about in this interview?

“I did work on Thriller. I wrote a song for Thriller that didn’t make the album and actually Michael and I did a little demo of it in the studio at Westlake.

“And the next week Michael Jackson came in with two new songs. One was called Billie Jean and the other was called Beat It.

“So they knocked my little song right off the record. But, you know, I never complained because the two songs that knocked it off were so much better!”

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...Thriller-Bad-Dangerous-Glen-Ballard-interview

Yeah that must be it! I wonder if there are any vocals on the dismissed stuff for Bad,
10 Glen Ballard songs! It would be awesome if Michael had done vocals on any of them but ...

by the way he talks about it I am afraid not though..
... I agree. It doesn't seem likely, does it?

Last edited:
I hope we get to hear Michael's version of Christmas Star one day

We recorded a Christmas song during the summer of '94 that needed a children's choir. Michael insisted that the entire studio be decorated with xmas lights, tree, fake snow and a sled for their recording. And he bought presents for everyone. I'm not sure it was ever released. For some reason I think it might have been used in a movie possibly. I did an internet search for the title and it didn't come up. - Rob Hoffman
Pretty sure this is in the footage that leaked from Brad

I hope we get to hear Michael's version of Christmas Star one day

We recorded a Christmas song during the summer of '94 that needed a children's choir. Michael insisted that the entire studio be decorated with xmas lights, tree, fake snow and a sled for their recording. And he bought presents for everyone. I'm not sure it was ever released. For some reason I think it might have been used in a movie possibly. I did an internet search for the title and it didn't come up. - Rob Hoffman
It does seem inspired by The Nutcracker or some Debussy so could be Michael allright! :)

According to Bobby Taylor MJ asked him to write an old fashioned song for him and liked the demo. It doesn't seem anything of it was recorded by MJ though, Taylor's final vocals were sung on the day MJ passed away:\

It's so sweet how MJ was still in contact with Bobby Taylor as late as his final days.

Yeah that must be it! I wonder if there are any vocals on the dismissed stuff for Bad, by the way he talks about it I am afraid not though..
:(

“So, Man In The Mirror… At the time that song was written, I was working for Quincy Jones as a staff producer for Qwest Records. So I was really intimate with Michael, I’d worked with him – we’d been making the Bad record, and I’d worked on Thriller. For Bad, I’d written at least 10 songs – all uptempo, driving tracks – and none of them [were recorded]. They just wanted the right songs and, you know, Michael was doing some great work, Rod Temperton was there… So I just thought, ‘Okay, the ship has sailed, I took my 10 shots, it isn’t going to work…’ because I’d been disappointed on Thriller [as well].

:(

“So, Man In The Mirror… At the time that song was written, I was working for Quincy Jones as a staff producer for Qwest Records. So I was really intimate with Michael, I’d worked with him – we’d been making the Bad record, and I’d worked on Thriller. For Bad, I’d written at least 10 songs – all uptempo, driving tracks – and none of them [were recorded]. They just wanted the right songs and, you know, Michael was doing some great work, Rod Temperton was there… So I just thought, ‘Okay, the ship has sailed, I took my 10 shots, it isn’t going to work…’ because I’d been disappointed on Thriller [as well].

"Rod Temperton was there". Yet none of his tracks made it on BAD. Groove of Midnight most definitely had to have been recorded. I wonder if there was anything else.

"Rod Temperton was there". Yet none of his tracks made it on BAD. Groove of Midnight most definitely had to have been recorded.
Yeah, that tiny Groove of Midnight clip that exists, that can't be all there is. They have to have recorded the whole thing, surely? Drives me mad with frustration, that one!

I wonder if there was anything else.
I'd love to know.

Back