The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

Interesting. Deserves an own topic. you can start a new thread.
oh, didn't even occur to me. :unsure:

I posted in the J5/Jacksons thread and also that 'Some of Michael's favourite pieces of music' thread.

@zinniabooklover

1. Destiny - Jacksons
  2. ???
  3. Best of Earth Wind & Fire
  4. The best of QJ - Quincy Jones
  5. C'est Chic - Chic
  6. Children of the wirld - Bee Gees
  7. Aretha Franklin - Best of
  8. J5 - Greatest Hits
  9. Brothers Johnson - Blam
Thank you! Quite a few of those albums I just could not get. :D

[...] "I get so tired of stories being fabricated and twisted. I never saw a tape get sent to Prince, rather Prince came to Westlake (not Havenhurst) for an afternoon meeting. No chimps, no snakes, no drama. He heard the song Bad, they talked, he declined to participate, then we went back to work. If Quincy and Michael had a separate meeting with Prince at Havenhurst (which is possible but seems counterproductive), they didn't talk about it in the studio. But restructuring, recording and erasing a new version makes for a good story as it is impossible to prove or disprove." -- Brad Sundberg
Do we know where the Brad quote comes from?

His response was in response to a user who mentioned Quincy's interview about Michael and Prince meeting at Hayvenhurst and Sheila saying they heard Bad at Paisley. He posted it to a group
And then Prince offered MJ this song and MJ declined lol

And then Prince offered MJ this song and MJ declined lol

This wasn't Michael's style and I see why he rejected the song [if he even heard it]. Prince insinuated he would've recorded Bad if it wasn't for the first line of the song. The video would've been different too

I wonder if he means the reference demo or if Michael cut the demo before discarding

It's actually - in my opinion - a very pretty song. Babyface was very involved in it (I think he wrote or co-wrote it), and we cut the demo in NY during HIStory in '94. Just my opinion - but I think Michael was looking to push things pretty hard on HIStory, and Waiting was maybe a bit softer than the direction he was going. - Brad Sundberg on "Willing and Waiting"

The demo of SPYHO that has leaked last year, do we know its exact recording date?

This wasn't Michael's style and I see why he rejected the song [if he even heard it]. Prince insinuated he would've recorded Bad if it wasn't for the first line of the song. The video would've been different too
He was joking, sometimes his humor could be mistaken for seriousness but that wasn't the real reason why he declined the track. I don't even know why that song specifically was even considered as a duet, it would not work as a duet in my opinion. Far better songs to work with if there was ever a Prince & MJ collab.

He was joking, sometimes his humor could be mistaken for seriousness but that wasn't the real reason why he declined the track. I don't even know why that song specifically was even considered as a duet, it would not work as a duet in my opinion. Far better songs to work with if there was ever a Prince & MJ collab.
I Just Can't Stop Loving You, for example

I wonder if he means the reference demo or if Michael cut the demo before discarding

It's actually - in my opinion - a very pretty song. Babyface was very involved in it (I think he wrote or co-wrote it), and we cut the demo in NY during HIStory in '94. Just my opinion - but I think Michael was looking to push things pretty hard on HIStory, and Waiting was maybe a bit softer than the direction he was going. - Brad Sundberg on "Willing and Waiting"
I'd love an MJ version of Willing and Waiting, the pre chorus and chorus is really catchy. I can only imagine the potential this song would have had if Mike worked on the lyrics for the verses

It wouldn't have been right for HIStory but it might have worked for an early version of Invincible

I'd love an MJ version of Willing and Waiting, the pre chorus and chorus is really catchy. I can only imagine the potential this song would have had if Mike worked on the lyrics for the verses

It wouldn't have been right for HIStory but it might have worked for an early version of Invincible
I quite like that demo tbh, it's basic for sure and needed some work, though. I doubt MJ worked on it, seems it was just presented to him and not used.

Its first name is "Heal LA" and is instrumental only.
there's a lyrics sheet with partial lyrics dated to 1993 - he may have recorded vocals in some form

65823660_1_x.jpg

Back