The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

I also wonder if there were any outtakes/demos for the Jacksons album and Goin' Places?
I wouldn't be surprised if "What a Lovely Way to Go", among many others, were demoed for those albums. Unless I'm wrong, I don't think there's anything to say that some tracks that ended up on Destiny weren't initially written for the previous two albums. The 70s period, for me, is the most interesting because it's the one we know least about

Alright Now was demoed for Bad. So was TYLA (1986 iirc).

Sunset Driver, technically a demo from 1982, was mixed by Bill Bottrell way after the release of the Thriller album. The 2track tape could have been sent to Westlake for Bruce and Q to hear.

Without full vocals: TDCAU, Monkey Business

Unknown vocal state: Tabloid Jungle

According to John Barnes, Alright Now was recorded during Victory.

TYLA was recorded in 1988

Sunset Driver is before Thriller but mixed in 1982

Based on Forger's comment, if there is ever a follow-up to Xscape, seems like Tomboy could be on it as it seems to fit the criteria.
I wouldn't be surprised, if Tomboy is lyrically a rip-off of Louisa May Alcott's biographical essay "Recollections of my Childhood's Days".

"No boy could be my friend until I had beaten him in a race, and no girl if she refused to climb trees, leap fences ..."

Her novel "Little Women" could have been an inspiration for the song "Little Girls". Just some weird thoughts, though.

What's the source for this?

Bill Bottrell Bottrell didn't work for MJ until late 1983.
I think it’s Brad? I'm pretty he mentioned the track was recorded in autumn (september?) 1988 during the Bad Tour.

Registration shows September 1988 and Brad mentioned the song was recorded while on tour. Of course there could be an earlier version as this happened to Bill with Streetwalker
Throwing-Your-Life-Away-registration-papers.webp

To my knowledge, only a stereo mix was created in September '88 for the copyright office. Probably due to the 10/19/ 1989 deposition.
registering a song more than a year before the deposition? When he did his deposition in 1984, the songs were registered a few weeks before

There could be a 1986 demo but I believe Brad mentioned it being 1988

I don't recall reading about tapes being destroyed.

I have seen him write things which I don't think the public will ever hear. He has a song called 'Iowa' that he wrote. People will never hear that song. Just before he left to film The Wiz, he put all the songs he had written on to tape in the studio in our parents' house. Not one of them has been heard and those were songs to cry for. There are things that he's written for orchestras that are classical music, I swear to you. Like something by Bach or Beethoven. - Janet from Q Magazine 1993.

Iowa might or might not be classical, depending on how you receive the response from Janet.
Would be nice to use in the biopic like others said or as an interlude in an album.
According to John Barnes, Alright Now was recorded during Victory.

TYLA was recorded in 1988

Sunset Driver is before Thriller but mixed in 1982
I can tell it was mixed in 1982. The quality is terrible. Sounds like an original dusty cassette tape

Would be nice to use in the biopic like others said or as an interlude in an album.

I can tell it was mixed in 1982. The quality is terrible. Sounds like an original dusty cassette tape
Sunset Driver was also scheduled to be included on the special edition of Off the Wall before being removed

OFF THE WALL
1- Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
2- Rock With You
3- Working Day And Night
4- Get On The Floor
5- Off The Wall
6- Girlfriend
7- She's Out Of My Life
8- I Can't Help It
9- It's The Falling In Love
10- Burn This Disco Out
Bonus Tracks:
11- Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough [Demo]
12- Sunset Driver
13- You Can't Win

Michael describing a video concept to his videographer Steven Howell.

“Sun is setting and I must see the sunset from atop so I rush on top of the roof and my God, I become moved by the beauty of a sunset. Show the truth of its beauty on my expression how it inspires me in truth. Wind blows shirt and hair. Different locations of sunset.”

“Talk about myself my dreams and what I want to do. Show me preparing to dance with record glove hat and quick step. Magic shots like a Fosse movie. Then night fall the magic of the night .now. The film must be too good to be true, like a fairy tale. Something out of a story book. The key is to get and do exactly what I see in my head.”

10365553-876354422390531-3110990490767836310-o.jpg
10403990-876354312390542-3206041144445768364-o.jpg

Michael describing a video concept to his videographer Steven Howell.

“Sun is setting and I must see the sunset from atop so I rush on top of the roof and my God, I become moved by the beauty of a sunset. Show the truth of its beauty on my expression how it inspires me in truth. Wind blows shirt and hair. Different locations of sunset.”

“Talk about myself my dreams and what I want to do. Show me preparing to dance with record glove hat and quick step. Magic shots like a Fosse movie. Then night fall the magic of the night .now. The film must be too good to be true, like a fairy tale. Something out of a story book. The key is to get and do exactly what I see in my head.”

10365553-876354422390531-3110990490767836310-o.jpg
10403990-876354312390542-3206041144445768364-o.jpg
Sounds like it could've easily fit The Lady In My Life like a glove.

I wouldn't be surprised, if Tomboy is lyrically a rip-off of Louisa May Alcott's biographical essay "Recollections of my Childhood's Days".

"No boy could be my friend until I had beaten him in a race, and no girl if she refused to climb trees, leap fences ..."

Her novel "Little Women" could have been an inspiration for the song "Little Girls". Just some weird thoughts, though.
Possibly. There was also an obscure movie that was released called Tomboy..... In 1985.

MV5BYWQyNDQ3NGItM2Y0Zi00ZjIwLWI0ZWUtN2YwMDc3ZjAyZTYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTg2Njc4NDQ@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

The original mix of the 1981 demo leaked
Can you develop it a little more? You have thrown me off. And which demo are you referring to?

According to me:
- Off The Wall Sessions
* Startin' Somethin' [Demo] (2009 Leak) 05:28
* Startin' Somethin' [Demo] [This Is It CD 2] 05:43

- Thriller Sessions
* Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' [Demo] 06:19
* Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' [Demo] 06:16
* Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' [Demo] 06:20

Is it incorrect? I always found WBSS demos confusing.

Last edited:
The mention of "Michael McKellar" has had me wondering...

a) Was it left off HIStory in favor of "Childhood" ?

b) What if MJ had considered it again for Invincible, and would it have fit better than "The Lost Children" ? Simply considering the broad themes of neglect and wanting to escape it.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the song was mentioned in Mike Smallcombe's book as being from HIStory, as well. Title only, blink and you'd miss it. But maybe we can put that part of the mystery to bed now.

Honestly, the stuff that came out of the Jeffre Philips lawsuit is some of the most fascinating info I've seen in a while.

What's really blown me away is how many Audio CD-Rs have made their way back to the estate: A mix dated May 09 of Ghost Of Another Lover, TYLA, Breath, and even some songs we know almost nothing about, like Love Heals, Dancing For Love, Heaven With A Smile, You Were There, and more.

Who knows if any of these have vocals or if they're just instrumental ideas.

Honestly, the stuff that came out of the Jeffre Philips lawsuit is some of the most fascinating info I've seen in a while.

What's really blown me away is how many Audio CD-Rs have made their way back to the estate: A mix dated May 09 of Ghost Of Another Lover, TYLA, Breath, and even some songs we know almost nothing about, like Love Heals, Dancing For Love, Heaven With A Smile, You Were There, and more.

Who knows if any of these have vocals or if they're just instrumental ideas.
Plus it looks like they've got some of Michael Prince's tracks now. It's kinda funny because they turned down his offer to collaborate, but now they ended up with them anyway thanks to the lawsuit.

Back