The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

Regardless, the song was supposed to be revisited right, based on the paper In MJ's room? So even if it wasn't Invincible era it wasn't 'finished' yet.
A song being on a "to do" list doesn't neccessarily mean it ain't finished at all. "Little Susie" for example was according to Damien lyrics and melodywise the same as the late 70s demo.

That photo of Mike with JB and BB is wild to me. Is that the Thriller jacket he's wearing to?

These new recording dates for the Bad sessions are so interesting to me, when I hear Mike's voice on songs like Cheater and Streetwalker, I picture him looking like this

MJJ_scan_2069.jpg

His voice on them tracks in particular just feels prime Bad era (86-87), not Victory era. It's crazy how much new information we're still discovering

Picture looks 1984 and probably during the last sessions of Victory. John Barnes is there so he could've been doing Another Part of Me, Liberian Girl or We Are Here to Change the World or even..............Buffalo Bill but I doubt it
Agree with 1984. Around the Thriller video. Could be "Alright Now".

These new recording dates for the Bad sessions are so interesting to me, when I hear Mike's voice on songs like Cheater and Streetwalker, I picture him looking like this
His voice on them tracks in particular just feels prime Bad era (86-87), not Victory era. It's crazy how much new information we're still discovering
It surely is interesting, mate.

Another example is Abortion Papers. Crazy that this was recorded in 1983 or early 1984.

That photo of Mike with JB and BB is wild to me. Is that the Thriller jacket he's wearing to?

MJJ_scan_2069.jpg

You are not alone. I think the exact same thing. I always pictured him looking like this on those tracks as well but abortion papers vocals really blew my mind being from 84

I really would like to know what Michael's natural speaking voice sounded like in the early 80s.

Brian Malouf interview with Mix magazine, 1999

Michael Jackson walked in one day with his brothers, which was a pivotal thing for me, because that’s how I started working with Michael. He came to me on one of their [Victory] sessions and said, “Hey Brian, I want to come back tonight and do my own stuff. Can you do it with me?” And that was the beginning of working with him for a year and a half on the demos that were the beginning of the Bad album. It was pretty heady stuff, very exciting, and it led to lots of other things.

Brian Malouf interview with Mix magazine, 1999

Michael Jackson walked in one day with his brothers, which was a pivotal thing for me, because that’s how I started working with Michael. He came to me on one of their [Victory] sessions and said, “Hey Brian, I want to come back tonight and do my own stuff. Can you do it with me?” And that was the beginning of working with him for a year and a half on the demos that were the beginning of the Bad album. It was pretty heady stuff, very exciting, and it led to lots of other things.
This is cool info, do we know what songs were worked on with Brian Malouf?

I really would like to know what Michael's natural speaking voice sounded like in the early 80s.
Well, it's not rare but it's 1982 and he was usually pretty relaxed with Ebony Jet. This interview is not one of my faves but he sounds great, imo.

4m 18s

MJJ_scan_2069.jpg

One other thing that's fascinating to me is that's pretty much how MJ looked like throughout the recording of Dangerous. When I hear the songs from that album I picture Michael looking the way he did on the BOW clip or during the Dangerous tour when he recorded them but he still looked exactly like his Bad era self.

I mean just look at any photo of MJ during 1989-1991, that's literally just Bad era Michael lol

636a5e3c0083acd25f291d4a75c3b0b6.jpg

2cd37c75f3d91c8c984effb4bdc76a34.jpg

Last edited:
This is cool info, do we know what songs were worked on with Brian Malouf?
He has been given engineering credits on Victory (The Hurt) and Bad albums. On the latter one it's not specified on which songs exactly.

As far as for unreleased songs, he's engineered on Abortion Papers.

Since Malouf has worked with Toto on their 1984 album "Isolation", I assume he was the recording engineer on the MJ/Porcaro tracks C45 & Dream Away, too.

It was lyrics to the chorus first. The verses were mumbled and the chorus would be fully fleshed and if he liked the chorus, he'd continue working on the song but if he didn't like it, it was discarded.
Literally discarded. Unwanted lyrics thrown in the bin by studio techs! :(

One other thing that's fascinating to me is that's pretty much how MJ looked like throughout the recording of Dangerous. When I hear the songs from that album I picture Michael looking the way he did on the BOW clip or during the Dangerous tour when he recorded them but he still looked exactly like his Bad era self.

I mean just look at any photo of MJ during 1989-1991, that's literally just Bad era Michael lol

636a5e3c0083acd25f291d4a75c3b0b6.jpg

2cd37c75f3d91c8c984effb4bdc76a34.jpg
I mean the only thing that changed about him in 1991 was his hair. He straightened it.

It was in 1992 that he really changed again. Clearly things advanced.

What was the criteria for the selection of songs Michael had been asked about at the 1993 deposition?
Does any of you have an idea?

• She’s Not A Girl (recorded - unreleased - demo at the encino home - year unknown)
  • You Ain’t Gonna Change Nothin’ (unreleased)
  • Lucy Is In Love With Linus (unreleased)
  • Who Is The Girl With Her Hair Down? (unreleased)
  • Lonely Man (written by Michael - never released)
  • Goin' To Rio ( Written by Michael - never released - stated before Thriller/Off The Wall)
  • Tomboy (written by Michael - sings part of it- never released - for Bad album/ made after thriller)
  • Buffalo Bill (After Thriller - written after Billie Jean - never released)
  • Al Capone* (Written after Thriller - never released)
  • Michael McKeller (Written but never released)
  • Thank You For Life (before Off The Wall - 73/74 - never released)
  • Much Too Soon* (Written - never released)
  • What A Lonely Way To Go* (Written - sings part of it - before Off The Wall - never released)
  • Who Do You Know* ( never released)
  • You Are A Liar (written - never released)
  • Cry (Written - never released)
  • Crack Kills (written - never released)
  • Free (written - never released)
  • Fly Away* (written - never released)
  • Children’s Hour (Written - never released)
  • Baby Smiles (written - never released)
  • Sister Sue (written - never released)
  • Little Susie* (written- never released)
  • Tragedy Of A Cheerleader (written - never released)
  • Get Around (written - never released)
  • Little Girls (Written - never released )
  • In The Valley (written - never released)
  • Red Eye (written - never released)
  • I Forgive You ( written- never released)
  • Why Shy (written - never released)
  • I Have This Love Of Me (written - never released)
  • Llama Lola (written - never released)
  • California Grass (written - never released)
  • Kentucky (Written - year: 70 something - never released)
  • Someone Put Your Hand Out* (Written - released through Pepsi contest - last year 1992)
  • Do You Know Where Your Children Are* (written - never released)
  • Bad Girl ( Written - never released)
  • Lonely Bird (written - never released)
  • Cheater* (co written - never released)
  • People Have To Make Some Kind Of Joke (written - never released)
  • Love Never Felt So Good* (written w/ Paul Anka - never released)
  • Alright Now (Written with brother - never released)
  • Scared Of The Moon* ( cowritten - never released)
  • Neverland Landing (cowritten - never released)
  • We Are The Ones (written - never released)
  • What’s Your Life (written with Jermaine - never released)
  • Fantasy (cowritten with brother - never released)
  • The Skys The Limit ( cowritten with brother - never released)
  • Saved By The Bell (cowritten with brother - never released)
  • Chicago 1945* (cowritten - never released)
  • Make Or Break (cowritten- never released)
  • Turning Me Off (cowritten- never released)
  • Sunset Driver* (cowritten - never released)
  • Far, Far, Away ( written- never released - doesn’t recall if co written with someone)

*released or leaked after 1993

What was the criteria for the selection of songs Michael had been asked about at the 1993 deposition?
Does any of you have an idea?

• She’s Not A Girl (recorded - unreleased - demo at the encino home - year unknown)
  • You Ain’t Gonna Change Nothin’ (unreleased)
  • Lucy Is In Love With Linus (unreleased)
  • Who Is The Girl With Her Hair Down? (unreleased)
  • Lonely Man (written by Michael - never released)
  • Goin' To Rio ( Written by Michael - never released - stated before Thriller/Off The Wall)
  • Tomboy (written by Michael - sings part of it- never released - for Bad album/ made after thriller)
  • Buffalo Bill (After Thriller - written after Billie Jean - never released)
  • Al Capone* (Written after Thriller - never released)
  • Michael McKeller (Written but never released)
  • Thank You For Life (before Off The Wall - 73/74 - never released)
  • Much Too Soon* (Written - never released)
  • What A Lonely Way To Go* (Written - sings part of it - before Off The Wall - never released)
  • Who Do You Know* ( never released)
  • You Are A Liar (written - never released)
  • Cry (Written - never released)
  • Crack Kills (written - never released)
  • Free (written - never released)
  • Fly Away* (written - never released)
  • Children’s Hour (Written - never released)
  • Baby Smiles (written - never released)
  • Sister Sue (written - never released)
  • Little Susie* (written- never released)
  • Tragedy Of A Cheerleader (written - never released)
  • Get Around (written - never released)
  • Little Girls (Written - never released )
  • In The Valley (written - never released)
  • Red Eye (written - never released)
  • I Forgive You ( written- never released)
  • Why Shy (written - never released)
  • I Have This Love Of Me (written - never released)
  • Llama Lola (written - never released)
  • California Grass (written - never released)
  • Kentucky (Written - year: 70 something - never released)
  • Someone Put Your Hand Out* (Written - released through Pepsi contest - last year 1992)
  • Do You Know Where Your Children Are* (written - never released)
  • Bad Girl ( Written - never released)
  • Lonely Bird (written - never released)
  • Cheater* (co written - never released)
  • People Have To Make Some Kind Of Joke (written - never released)
  • Love Never Felt So Good* (written w/ Paul Anka - never released)
  • Alright Now (Written with brother - never released)
  • Scared Of The Moon* ( cowritten - never released)
  • Neverland Landing (cowritten - never released)
  • We Are The Ones (written - never released)
  • What’s Your Life (written with Jermaine - never released)
  • Fantasy (cowritten with brother - never released)
  • The Skys The Limit ( cowritten with brother - never released)
  • Saved By The Bell (cowritten with brother - never released)
  • Chicago 1945* (cowritten - never released)
  • Make Or Break (cowritten- never released)
  • Turning Me Off (cowritten- never released)
  • Sunset Driver* (cowritten - never released)
  • Far, Far, Away ( written- never released - doesn’t recall if co written with someone)

*released or leaked after 1993
Imo there's a good chance that all of those are songs that were recorded given how nowadays we know at least half of the songs on the list include vocals in some form.

She's Not A Girl - Recorded
Tomboy - Full Vocals
Buffalo Bill - Recorded, uncertain if it has full vocals or chorus vocals with a guide vocal
Al Capone - Full Vocals
WALWTG - Full Vocals
Who Do You Know - Full Vocals
Crack Kills - Full Vocals
Free - Partially Full Vocals
Fly Away - Full Vocals
Little Susie - Full Vocals
Red Eye - Instrumental but not to say there isn't a version with vocals made after the track was copyright registered, similarly with Tomboy
SPYHO - Full Vocals
DYKWYCA - Full Vocals
Cheater - Full Vocals
LNFSG - Full Vocals
Alright Now - Recorded
Scared Of The Moon - Full Vocals
Neverland Landing - Full Vocals
What's Your Life - Recorded with Jermaine
Chicago 1945 - Full Vocals
Make Or Break - Scratch Vocals
Turning Me Off - Scratch Vocals
Sunset Driver - Full Vocals
Far, Far, Away - Either chorus vocals or scratch vocals

Even if it's real it's confusing, where are Rodney's other songs? and because no one on his team like Fred doesn't remember any of these songs

He lists Chicago 1945 (2001) as Chicago 145. His name also seems to be spelled incorrectly in the scrolling bar. It's possible a lot of these are just instrumentals if they exist at all – I don't see Get Your Weight Off Me, could it be actually named something else to Michael?

Excerpt from an interview Brazilian Rolling Stone Magazine did with Brian Malouf in 2021:

I wonder which song Brian's refering to that he had witnessed in the making with Barnes and MJ.

What was it like working with Michael Jackson?
It was magical. I remember the moment I met him in 1983. Michael Jackson was the biggest media star at that time, the biggest pop star on the planet. Suddenly, I saw him walking through the neighborhood and entering the small studio where I worked, in Tarzana, California, with his entire family [ The Jackson 5 ]. We worked on the album Victory (1984) and then I was the sound engineer on Michael 's solo album Bad (1987).
In person, what was Michael Jackson like?
Michael
was the sweetest, humblest and kindest person I have ever met in my entire life. At the same time, he was the most musically focused person I've ever met as well.

What is the most nostalgic memory you have of Michael Jackson in your studio?
Once, John Barnes, Michael 's collaborator , sat down at the piano to present an idea. Then, Michael began to hum the bass notes according to what was in his head. He imagined the notes and sang them, making the progression of the song with minor and major notes interspersed with those on the piano. It's a technique that only a composition genius possesses. And Michael owned it.

Back