The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

From Joe Vogel's book:

According to Bruce Swedien, it had “a big symphonic opening and a charming melody.” Matt Forger describes it as “an amazing song” that never quite came together. “It went through such contortions and changes and green writes and variations.” The track was inspired by Wild Bill Hickok, a poker player who was shot in the back and became a dime-novel hero. “Buffalo Bill” remains unreleased.

From Joe Vogel's book:
That's incorrect. The track was inspired by William Cody. MJ even says so himself in the unauthorized interview at Hayvenhurst in 1983. And to go even further, William Cody is buried in Colorado, where I think MJ visited in 1984.

Either Joe Vogel did no research, or some producer gave him the wrong information.

It's just bizarre that there was all this hype of Buffalo Bill before the album was released (by the media and MJ himself) and then at last second, it got pulled; for most likely Be Not Always.
He might've been very cautious about the lyrics also. He might've decided that the song was "too violent".

So Demo 1984. And finished version 2001? How do we know it exists?

It would be awesome. Imo one of the best demo tracks with so much potential.
Not, finished, just redid. It's in Rodney Jerkins Production Catalogue.

Reactions: MJ5
As it is, is Cheater actually finished, lyrically? Would this be one of those songs Damien claims is "complete nonsense"?

I'd say a lot of it is not final lyrics, seems he has an idea but nothing finalised.
It seems like they've put out a lot of songs with "nonsense lyrics" and it doesn't matter. So stuff like Dark Lady and Rocker might be more appealing than Damien would have us believe.

I thought the "snippet" we had was fake?
Since when does a fake snippet mean anything?

new tweet from Bill:

I heard Cheater again yesterday. Credits and dates on various sites do not match what I was thinking.
Sites say outtake from Westake/Quincy sessions for Bad.
I can not hear that. At all.
Somebody should reach out to Greg
'85 is what I'm thinking. Soundcastle. Michael, Greg, I hear Paul Jackson Jr. on guitar, I hear my console and the glass entry room on "cheater" BG vocals and claps, I hear my mix.

N

Not finished lyrically and I'd say placeholder lyrics. The idea was there but it wasn't fleshed out all the way. This is the song I think Stevie should've been on
MJs placeholder lyrics really don't always seem any different than his "finished" lyrics sometimes.

Really, I am very interested in hearing "Rocker" with its placeholder lyrics now.

Back