The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

I'm excited to see how the Estate is gonna handle Chicago 1945 now that they have full creative control on it, the song isn't bad but as ironic as it is to Steve I always thought the song could benefit from a remix. The vocals are fine but the instrumental is very dull imo.
Absolutely agree with everything you mentioned here. The vocals and lyrics are very good. The instrumental is dull like you said. I’d love to hear a proper contemporized version a la Xscape.

Absolutely agree with everything you mentioned here. The vocals and lyrics are very good. The instrumental is dull like you said. I’d love to hear a proper contemporized version a la Xscape.
Just adding to this: neff-u could be a good pick. Best of Joy (the toy) instrumentally is incredibly bland imo, but the remix he did was top notch. Totally elevated the track.

If C45 could get the same treatment, it could be a really good MJ track.

Just adding to this: neff-u could be a good pick. Best of Joy (the toy) instrumentally is incredibly bland imo, but the remix he did was top notch. Totally elevated the track.

If C45 could get the same treatment, it could be a really good MJ track.
Now that I think of it, Brody Brown (Bruno mars producer) would be a good pick because the sound of “24k magic” album would make a very interesting updated version of C45

Not really gonna judge Steve's version when he made it a point to mention it wasn't done.

I think it's a shame he won't get to finish it the way he wanted, personally.
Yeah I think the original melody has the most potential. I think editing a few things would make for the best version.

I wouldn't want to hear a Chicago style redo of, well, Chicago 1945. Now that I know.

Porcaro digitized the original tapes, and a few years ago he began working on the tracks, calling in new collaborators — including some who had played on “Thriller,” like the keyboardist Greg Phillinganes and the horn arranger Jerry Hey.
This is f**king awesome. I wonder if either of these two are present on the leaked versions.

even with live horns, I’m not too sure the instrumental could’ve been saved. Personally I would actually prefer a xscape-esque contemperation.

Dream away, I love as is, absolutely phenomenal song instrumentally, vocally & lyrically.
Honestly I would change the drums. Jeff Porcaro's drums just clash too strongly imo. It seems disrespectful for some reason but that's a subtle change. It needs a smoother more Human Nature/80s sound.

Dream away doesnt sound special to me, I hear all this praise for it and I just don’t get it

Not that I'm suggesting him for C45, but John McClain has always been underrated by fans. His work on posthumous records is normally in keeping with Mike's vision for the original demo

Aside from the awful decision to include an accordion on Much Too Soon, that was terrible mistake, in my opinion.
+ the Bucharest audience noise on Behind the Mask, that's freaking annoying.

John McClain is the best in terms of a middle ground between modernized and original.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet Dream Away plays over the end credits of the biopic. I predicted this earlier in the year but now they own the songs, I'm even more sure
Isn't he saying they will not do anything with Dream Away here:

'What happens to the two unreleased songs by Porcaro and Jackson is unclear. Branca said the estate is focused on its upcoming Jackson biopic and has no immediate plans to release them.'

Last edited:
Back