The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

Regarding “in the back” it is exactly the type of song I would call original, the critics would have rated it too. It would not have been a huge hit as a single but the atmosphere it creates is mysterious, foggy, it’s a dense sonic landscape, something Radiohead would produce. Put it on Invincible, make it the first single and people’s interest in the album would have been much higher.

I really would not mind someone finishing the lyrics and singing the verses in combination with MJ’s scratch verses. Billie Eilish for example

Regarding “in the back” it is exactly the type of song I would call original, the critics would have rated it too. It would not have been a huge hit as a single but the atmosphere it creates is mysterious, foggy, it’s a dense sonic landscape, something Radiohead would produce. Put it on Invincible, make it the first single and people’s interest in the album would have been much higher.

I really would not mind someone finishing the lyrics and singing the verses in combination with MJ’s scratch verses. Billie Eilish for example
is this the best version?

Anyone know if the verses we know of 'We Are Here To Change The World' are all there is? It seems so unfortunately..
Although it sounds a bit too 80's, I always loved the vocals and still hoping there is a full song

What are your guy’s opinion on the 1987 Quincy Version of Streetwalker?
I much prefer it to the Bad 2001 SE version, it's a lot more funky and has much better flow and direction.

I'd love to know if this was the version that almost made the record, because as of now I'm yet to be convinced it was strong enough to make it onto Bad.

On a side note, I'd love to hear all the songs Quincy and the A Team "polished" and considered for the Bad album. I doubt they only worked on the 11 songs on the record and Streetwalker, hopefully there's a complete version of Price Of Fame

On a side note, I'd love to hear all the songs Quincy and the A Team "polished" and considered for the Bad album. I doubt they only worked on the 11 songs on the record and Streetwalker, hopefully there's a complete version of Price Of Fame
This is what Russ Ragsdale said in 2009 on gearslutz (now gearspace):

"BAD" has eleven songs on it, there was only one out take recorded and that song was called "Street Walker" .

We also recorded several songs in French & Spanish.

I think Michael had written 80 songs maybe, but Quincy narrowed it down to 12 before recording began the Fall of '86.

after we finished "BAD" I logged and delivered over 800 Multi track reels, both Analog, Digital & 2-trk tapes ... all to get 12 songs!!!

As far as other out takes, there really weren't that many out takes, only songs discarded by Quincy during pre-production.

Thanks for the response mate.

That baffles me completely, of all the material we've heard from that era, I don't think Streetwalker and Just Good Friends had the potential to stand out or fit in on a groundbreaking album like Bad.

That baffles me completely, of all the material we've heard from that era, I don't think Streetwalker and Just Good Friends had the potential to stand out or fit in on a groundbreaking album like Bad.
Just Good Friends flows well on the album. Even if the song itself is basic.

Too bad QJ & Co. didn't record more; always convenient to have some extra tracks I would reckon; for an anniversary album, B-side, commercial etc.

Anyone know if the verses we know of 'We Are Here To Change The World' are all there is? It seems so unfortunately..
Although it sounds a bit too 80's, I always loved the vocals and still hoping there is a full song

I think that's it

Has anyone here heard Quincy’s mix of Streetwalker? If so, how does it compare to the demo and Bill Bottrell’s mix?

There's the 1985 version of the song that leaked from a seminar on YouTube

I know its a habit, but I wish fans would stop calling Quincy and co the "A Team" when most of the work was already done. If anything, they probably made the songs inferior, as was the case with "Another part of me"
I do agree, but didn't they call it that themselves too..?

According to my ears which have heard the version from the multitrack:

That version which I heard was literally just the version on The Ultimate Collection but without the fade out, and again that part after the fade out was just instrumental.

This may be a typical case of Brad Buxer misremembering or mixing things up, I remember him saying at one point that In The Back was from 2004, which we know definitely wasn't. But of course, we should cut him some slack given how many years its been since he worked on all this stuff of course his mind won't be the sharpest in this regard, hell who even remembers what they ate last week at a specific time?
I interpreted the "from 2004" comment as referring to overdubs being recorded for older tracks. Same with "Beautiful Girl" and "The Way You Love Me".

I know its a habit, but I wish fans would stop calling Quincy and co the "A Team" when most of the work was already done. If anything, they probably made the songs inferior, as was the case with "Another part of me"
John Barnes on a podcast said he hated the term. It seems to be a Quincy originated term to demean the Encino team of Barnes and co
I feel like the B-Team name doesn’t necessarily imply it’s inferior to the A-Team.

Back