The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

Comping vocals isn’t exclusive to the 2000s. All of MJ’s albums were pretty extensively edited. Brad Sundberg showed off the comp sheet for “Just Good Friends” and it looks like individual words were even stitched in at points.

You can’t make a bad vocalist sound good with any amount of processing or editing. MJ still sounded great.
Songs even going back to the Triumph album have vocal comps. Michael would do multiple full runs then they'd take the best parts of those. Later on he'd just re-record the lines part by part and comp them (like on Jam). But there's nothing wrong with vocal comping at all, you can't make shit vocals sound good, and MJ sounded good mostly. The melodyne and other sorts of pitch correction on his later stuff i'm not a fan of, but Best Of Joy is a prime example of melodyne being used in a good way to add to the vocals.

Comping vocals isn’t exclusive to the 2000s. All of MJ’s albums were pretty extensively edited. Brad Sundberg showed off the comp sheet for “Just Good Friends” and it looks like individual words were even stitched in at points.

You can’t make a bad vocalist sound good with any amount of processing or editing. MJ still sounded great.
Yeah I guess its not exactly rare for mj. What my point was is that you can hear him struggle especially under Akon in the "too high to get over, too low to get under" bit after his verse. He never really sounded that horrible in studio recordings that Ive heard but most of the bad (by mj standards) ones are in fact from Invincible onward.

Songs even going back to the Triumph album have vocal comps. Michael would do multiple full runs then they'd take the best parts of those. Later on he'd just re-record the lines part by part and comp them (like on Jam). But there's nothing wrong with vocal comping at all, you can't make shit vocals sound good, and MJ sounded good mostly. The melodyne and other sorts of pitch correction on his later stuff i'm not a fan of, but Best Of Joy is a prime example of melodyne being used in a good way to add to the vocals.
Yeah! The best kind of pitch correction is the kind you cant really even notice. It should add to the vocals as an effect and not completely overtake them.

You're all a bunch of crackheads here and I really regret knowing how to read (yes @AlwaysThere, I'm looking at you).

WBSS 08 he was struggling. They had to edit together multiple takes due to this which is probably why he barely appears on it.
Not denying some of his lines might have been recorded separately and edited together (something he started doing already in late 80s, even though it was not purely necessary for MJ to do so), but that does not mean he was struggling. There's zero indication in MJ's voice, and the way he sings WBSS 08, that he is struggling- at all. In fact, it seems like he is singing the lines while smiling, just having a good time.

Your assumption as to why he barely appears, is simply pure guessing.

Not denying some of his lines might have been recorded separately and edited together (something he started doing already in late 80s, even though it was not purely necessary for MJ to do so), but that does not mean he was struggling. There's zero indication in MJ's voice, and the way he sings WBSS 08, that he is struggling- at all. In fact, it seems like he is singing the lines while smiling, just having a good time.

Your assumption as to why he barely appears, is simply pure guessing.
Correct it is my guessing/observation. Thats why I wrote it as "PROBABLY why he barely appears on it." There are moments in the acapella that sound rough. I guess its just hard to tell on the actual mixdown.

Correct it is my guessing/observation. Thats why I wrote it as "PROBABLY why he barely appears on it." There are moments in the acapella that sound rough. I guess its just hard to tell on the actual mixdown.
Didn’t you also think Lovely Way was fake?

Lmao tells you what these people know honestly

I don`t know it is more or less a complainig fan-community

Thank you for this link! Crazy to see such negativity. I knew there was trouble in paradise, but $1,000+ for tickets to watch other people sing Prince songs and hear a couple unreleased songs? That’s crazy.

Prince Estate do something other than overpriced album reissues to further his legacy challenge (IMPOSSIBLE)

Every day I'm more envy of Prince fans
How dare you to say that?!?😇

To quote the Estate of MJ:

Recently there has been some fan speculation and comparison with the Prince Estate in particular. We know there are some fans who are fans of both Prince and Michael, and that’s understandable. Prince was a genius in his own right. He was an incredible artist. But nobody can compare Prince with Michael and nobody can compare the Prince Estate with the Michael Jackson Estate.

As someone that has seen a handful of threads on Prince.org as well as looking around here regularly I can safely say both the MJ and Prince communities and specially their States can be quite an ordeal at times lol. It's almost comical how similar both situations (and responses from the fanbase) can get in completely different scenarios sterning from the States' decisions.

Ears. When you listen to the vocals by themselves you'd be able to see what I mean, there are obvious cuts all throughout it from where its stitched together.
Are we to trust the very same ears that find the drums of Chicago 1945 and Smooth Criminal “almost identical”?

Are we to trust the very same ears that find the drums of Chicago 1945 and Smooth Criminal “almost identical”?
You dont even know what a drum pattern is bruh 😭 we all notice different things or have different opinions on quality. Multiple sources have came out about the fact that Michael was being lazy for Invincible which is reflected by the tracklist being nearly all songs he barely had a hand in writing and struggling lead vocals such as the Childrens Choir moment in The Lost Children. I have no problem with having differing opinions and I actually encourage everyone to discuss theres but there is no need to go beyond that with things like saying I know nothing about music when im a producer lol.

You dont even know what a drum pattern is bruh 😭 we all notice different things or have different opinions on quality. Multiple sources have came out about the fact that Michael was being lazy for Invincible which is reflected by the tracklist being nearly all songs he barely had a hand in writing and struggling lead vocals such as the Childrens Choir moment in The Lost Children. I have no problem with having differing opinions and I actually encourage everyone to discuss theres but there is no need to go beyond that with things like saying I know nothing about music when im a producer lol.
I know what a rhythm is.

I know good vocals when I hear them.

Neither I have problems with differing opinions, but you repeatedly state your opinions as facts.

Why are you suddenly talking about Invincible’s tracklist?

You may be a producer, but that doesn’t automatically validate your opinions. The drums in Smooth Criminal and Chicago 1945 is factually not in the slightest alike, which could easily be proved by a simple transcription. I’m a musicologist and musician, by the way.

I know what a rhythm is.

I know good vocals when I hear them.

Neither I have problems with differing opinions, but you repeatedly state your opinions as facts.

Why are you suddenly talking about Invincible’s tracklist?

You may be a producer, but that doesn’t automatically validate your opinions. The drums in Smooth Criminal and Chicago 1945 is factually not in the slightest alike, which could easily be proved by a simple transcription. I’m a musicologist and musician, by the way.
Here this should finally show what I mean about Smooth and Chicago. I synced my chicago drum remake with a lower quality recording of the smooth criminal drums (lost the multitrack lol) and it fits. If you were to just swap out one of the kicks for a clap and move one kick to a different spot itd be EXACTLY the same!

"New Michael Jackson: In The Studio Book due for international release in Spring 2023 - Blackstone Publishing"

This spring, fans of the King of Pop will be able to take an up-close look at his recording process in MICHAEL JACKSON: IN THE STUDIO, which takes readers from The Jackson 5 heyday at Motown thru the making of legendary solo albums OFF THE WALL, the landmark THRILLER, BAD, DANGEROUS, HIStory, INVINCIBLE and posthumous LP XSCAPE.
Featuring exclusive interviews with key creative collaborators like Teddy Riley, Rodney Jerkins, Bill Bottrell, Timbaland co-producer Jerome 'J-Roc' Harmon, and longtime Jackson session drummer John 'J.R.' Robinson among other exciting interviews from Michael Jackson's rich interview archives, the book additionally features sourced commentary from Quincy Jones, Dallas Austin, Eddie Van Halen, Steve Stevens, Slash, Berry Gordy, and other key collaborators.

Source:
Einpresswire (copy and paste the text on google to find it, if I link it here it says that the message is subject to moderator review).
The article has a lot of other information but I don't want to spam the thread, it is interesting that they talk about the demo of Remember The Time, Decade, etc.

I know that the songs aren't related but I'm sure that MJ had Chicago 1945 in his mind while he was working on Smooth Criminal; the Chicago 1940's theme, the sirens and all of those similarities in both songs. MJ even specifically says "Chicago 1945" while talking about Smooth Criminal at the Private Home Movies special.

Michael actually really liked Streetwalker, but Quincy vetoed it in favour of Another Part Of Me, which he thought was the better song out of the two.
Another Part of Me is a happy song, Quincy honesty made the better choice, as the album needed one like Thriller had WBSS or PYT

Back