The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

I like the song but I wish MJ focused on recording other songs at the time since he had fully recorded BoJ 2 times already. He should've focused on finishing Hollywood Tonight or any of his other new songs.

Yeah, he must've really liked it.

It sucks he wrote more lyrics for HT but never got around to recording them.

Oh nevermind then, you've seen the video lol

Anyway, the guy is an impersonator who's currently on tour with MJ's former choreographer and guitar player, he is a high level impersonator so there's no reason for someone like him to lie about this. He might've mistaken the singer's voice for MJ since he only got to hear a few seconds of it, and because the person singing the song allegedly sounds similar to him.
Wasn’t Michael planning to rework the song? I hope there’s a version with his vocals just sitting in one of his hard drives somewhere (the ones La Toya found).

Yep, but I'm talking more about Michael's vocal performance. I hope to hear it one day, it's one of my favorite songs of all time
I understand, but Damien Shields said that the entire song remained the exact same as The Toy including vocals, instrumentals and lyrics. The only change is the opening line so we basically already have the song. The 2008 demo is where the real changes happen, the third verse, no vocal effects, the instrumentals might be slightly different (although still maintaining the drum loop and the keyboard). I'm still mad that the Estate didn't give us the demos of the songs on the Michael album.

I understand, but Damien Shields said that the entire song remained the exact same as The Toy including vocals, instrumentals and lyrics. The only change is the opening line so we basically already have the song. The 2008 demo is where the real changes happen, the third verse, no vocal effects, the instrumentals might be slightly different (although still maintaining the drum loop and the keyboard). I'm still mad that the Estate didn't give us the demos of the songs on the Michael album.
Including the original versions is one of the things I really respect about the Xscape project; I seriously hope they keep it that way for upcoming projects.

Including the original versions is one of the things I really respect about the Xscape project; I seriously hope they keep it that way for upcoming projects.
And if I remember correctly, the estate wasn’t even planning to include them; someone else (don’t remember who), suggested the idea of including the originals.

Thanks for the information. Now I no longer have a blurred picture of this version, at this very moment I am imagining Michael insisting on singing "I am FOREVAHH" from The Toy.

Yeah, I hope they don't ever deprive us of listening to MJ's original versions. If the demo of Hollywood Tonight hadn't leaked, imagine how much of a tease would it be to hear that the song was originally going to be dark, with a sound that was reminiscent of Billie Jean?
And if I remember correctly, the estate wasn’t even planning to include them; someone else (don’t remember who), suggested the idea of including the originals.
Knowing the Estate, there's a chance that they won't include the demos if that wasn't their idea. Their focus were always on the remixes and the disc 2 of Xscape and T40 are proof of that.

A vocal sung by someone else is not likely to be on the album
But Michael Prince could've told him that they were gearing up for a new album. The words the guy said on the clip are similar to what Brody Brown said on that interview he did recently.

Somebody said something about the HIStory outtakes? There was a lack of material because he wasn't making "hits", it was expression. What he came up with was strong enough. Stronger, in some ways; no silly-ish car songs like Speed Demon/SDMW. Music to wail to, nothing easy to ignore. It all got a reaction outta you. And what he chose fit and connected. You want hits, you had This Time Around and You Are Not Alone. Most everything else was sending a message exclusively. His Story.

Maybe by Invincible he was somewhat bereft, mostly of confidence in his songwriting skills after people dunked HIStory and BOTDF. But in the 90s he still had a decent concentration of material. Even still, he used about every anti paparazzi song except Price of Fame and I forgot, Xscape. Which I found unnecessary.

But Michael Prince could've told him that they were gearing up for a new album. The words the guy said on the clip are similar to what Brody Brown said on that interview he did recently.
Yeah, maybe. Doesn't help determine if he recorded the song or not.

I’m honestly shocked at how much I prefer the 2008 vocals of “Best of Joy” compared to the 1981 vocals of “The Toy.” Michael’s voice was just so smooth in his older age. He sounds immaculate.
YEAH! It impresses me how much Best of Joy has evolved. What was a cool song at best has turned into a magnificent, moving work of art. Certain ideas really need to be polished!

Yeah, I hope they don't ever deprive us of listening to MJ's original versions. If the demo of Hollywood Tonight hadn't leaked, imagine how much of a tease would it be to hear that the song was originally going to be dark, with a sound that was reminiscent of Billie Jean?

Knowing the Estate, there's a chance that they won't include the demos if that wasn't their idea. Their focus were always on the remixes and the disc 2 of Xscape and T40 are proof of that.
Sorry if i'm misunderstanding and im not disagreeing with your statement but how is Disc 2 of T40 proof that they're focused on remixes when it has no remixes lol? Im confused. Maybe you're referring to the digital version which has a compilation of old remixes since they were too lazy to put on new mixes and a compilation of demos. But even then over half of the Digital Disc 2 is demos so im confused.

That and Hold My Hand do showcase how strong '06-'08 songs must be vocally.
Not really. Those are examples of good 06-08 vocals though. He struggled alot from Invincible onward.

WBSS '08 is pretty strong also, so I don't see any of the others being subpar.
WBSS 08 he was struggling. They had to edit together multiple takes due to this which is probably why he barely appears on it.

Listening to Don't Matter To Me again after some time, I think I understood why it was not considered for any album.

The vocals are kinda weak and sound like Michael's other early demos, you can feel that he was probably on the first test take just to feel the melody and to try to make it work.
(LNFSG and TII on the other hand have more polished and strong vocals)

Sorry if i'm misunderstanding and im not disagreeing with your statement but how is Disc 2 of T40 proof that they're focused on remixes when it has no remixes lol? Im confused. Maybe you're referring to the digital version which has a compilation of old remixes since they were too lazy to put on new mixes and a compilation of demos. But even then over half of the Digital Disc 2 is demos so im confused.
I was referring to the awful quality of the demos on Disc 2 and how they cut out sections of certain songs (e.g. The Toy). They didn't even bother to do with QA before putting out the demos, it's another big example of how the Estate doesn't care about demos.

Last edited:
I was referring to the awful quality of the demos on Disc 2 and how they cut out sections of certain songs (e.g. The Toy). It's another big example of how the Estate doesn't give a damn about demos.
OH LOL. That makes more sense. I love how they just completely forgot that the girl is mine demo came out LOL

Ears. When you listen to the vocals by themselves you'd be able to see what I mean, there are obvious cuts all throughout it from where it’s stitched together.
Comping vocals isn’t exclusive to the 2000s. All of MJ’s albums were pretty extensively edited. Brad Sundberg showed off the comp sheet for “Just Good Friends” and it looks like individual words were even stitched in at points.

You can’t make a bad vocalist sound good with any amount of processing or editing. MJ still sounded great.

Back