The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

The earliest Chicago 1945 seemed to be thoroughly worked on was sometime during the BAD sessions; the booklet for Xscape states it outright:
The song was recorded in late 1982/1983 so it's more of a Victory outtake than a Bad one. I doubt the Estate would acknowledge an album from The Jacksons so it's easier for them to say it's from Bad.
I'm not sure how reliable the estate even is. They stated that "Who Do You Know" was considered for Thriller which is a complete lie.
Yeah they also said The Toy was made for Thriller even though MJ himself stated that the song was made for a separate project and was shelved because of the album. Absolutely not reliable.

Between “Chicago 1945” and “Dreams Away”, which one do you guys consider to be the better song?
Dream Away easily. Chicago 1945 in its current state is a mediocre song that was overhyped. I still think that Steve should let the Estate remix the song, it would benefit greatly from one.

Dream Away easily. Chicago 1945 in its current state is a mediocre song that was overhyped. I still think that Steve should let the Estate remix the song, it would benefit greatly from one.
Agreed that DA is better, but I do think the Bad era version of C45 is much better than the one we got.

Chicago 1945 simply suffers from lazy mixing and mastering; mix and master it well and you’ll notice a day and night difference.

Last edited:
The song has great vocals, don't get me wrong. The synth horns are good as well but to me that's where the positives ends. The instrumental is dull and if the Bad era version is lacking those horns then the instrumental would be even worse. The live drums are good too but it sounds... Out of place? I don't know if I'm the only one who feels that way. I stand by my words that a remix made by John McClain although I wouldn't mind a mix made by Timbaland would be right for it.
but I do think the Bad era version of C45 is much better than the one we got.
Have you heard it?

I find it hard to judge the song based on a mix that was clearly just thrown together so that the song could be played at a seminar. Mixing etc can really change the impact of a track. Although if Steve doesn't get his way it'll probably just be thrown on a Bad re release by the estate and sound like utter trash.

I think Porcaro just used some crappy pitch correction; I doubt he modified them that much.
It sounds terrible. The pitch correction is extremely obvious and off putting and it gets very off beat at points especially at the end. Needs alot of work. What I would do is remove the pitch correction as much as possible, fix the off beat points, remove Steve's backing vocals, and maybe update the instrumental just a bit.

The song was recorded in late 1982/1983 so it's more of a Victory outtake than a Bad one. I doubt the Estate would acknowledge an album from The Jacksons so it's easier for them to say it's from Bad.

Yeah they also said The Toy was made for Thriller even though MJ himself stated that the song was made for a separate project and was shelved because of the album. Absolutely not reliable.
LOL YES. Lovely way to go was also never considered for Thriller.

Agreed, there is a difference between a “vocally complete” song and a “finished” song.
Yep, Steve said that they weren't finished, so I don't really understand the criticism of stuff like vocal processing when probably just did it quickly so he could show the tracks off.

The earliest Chicago 1945 seemed to be thoroughly worked on was sometime during the BAD sessions; the booklet for Xscape states it outright:

For those who don’t believe me, feel free to check out your own booklets; the exact same quote will be on it.
But I was talking about Who Do You Know...

Y'all been going to war over Chicago 1945, my word.

Between “Chicago 1945” and “Dreams Away”, which one do you guys consider to be the better song?
I enjoy C1945 a lot, I listen to it every time I play music. It's still catchy, melodically. And his vocals are fiery hot. It reminds me of that Back to the Future sound and stuff yeah. It's different
The song was never said to be A Tier, but it is catchy. Dreams Away is pretty but it'll never beat Human Nature for me. His falsetto is quite nice as always, though.

Yep, Steve said that they weren't finished, so I don't really understand the criticism of stuff like vocal processing when probably just did it quickly so he could show the tracks off.
Just because its not finished doesnt mean you cant say it sounds bad lol

Dream away is a very pretty song to me. The lyrics, however rough and unfinished are so simple yet effective. Really want to hear a HQ version of the song that Steve has been working on.

It'd cool if they played an unheard song on the credits, imagine if they played one of MJ's final songs as the movie is closing, Remember What I Told You would be perfect for that. They can even lie and say it was MJ's very last song and I wouldn't mind, as long as we'd get to hear it.

It'd cool if they played an unheard song on the credits, imagine if they played one of MJ's final songs as the movie is closing, Remember What I Told You would be perfect for that. They can even lie and say it was MJ's very last song and I wouldn't mind, as long as we'd get to hear it.

That'd be awesome, so it's not gonna happen, LOL.

“Chicago 1945” is great but, as with “Man in Black” and “I Have This Dream,” it isn’t really good enough to justify the decades of anticipation and discussion in my opinion. It’s part of the reason why I try (and fail) to hype up titles based on nothing, because they often wind up to be disappointing. (I fear the day we finally get “Buffalo Bill.”)

“Dream Away” is stunning. Incredibly unique vocal melody, wonderfully simple lyrics, beautiful atmosphere. Take away the terrible Auto Tune and I’d honestly rate it up there with “For All Time” as one of MJ’s finest ballads.

“Chicago 1945” is great but, as with “Man in Black,” it isn’t really good enough to justify the decades of anticipation and discussion in my opinion.
Nah, there's no comparison between these two. Man in Black is a decent groove, C1945 is a good song that Porcaro has just altered too much.

Nah, there's no comparison between these two. Man in Black is a decent groove, C1945 is a good song that Porcaro has just altered too much.

Or not enough ;)

This is a reference to the mix being unfinished I do not endourse altering tracks beyond their original intention

Last edited:
I mean, you're talking about how you'd improve it as if it's the final version and it has been released. That doesn't make any sense to me.
When I stated what i'd improve on that was in reference on how to fix/finish it for release. Just because it's not 100% finished doesn't completely shield it from negative opinions. It would be unfair to judge it as a finished song though which is different.

Back