The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

Contemporized it'll be a pretty decent album track. But the hype of it, ironically makes it way easy to get mainstream appeal imo.
Not at all, no one outside the fanbase is gonna know or even care about the song. At most it'll get some attraction within the fanbase if it gets revealed on a tracklist but after that, it'd most likely end up like Xscape or Another Day in terms of popularity, or lower.

Thoughts about “The Verdict”? I think the finished track might be great, tbh. The leaked instrumentals (from the Brad Sundberg theft) are underwhelming, but that’s to be expected since they’re obviously unfinished, early concepts.
Straight garbage. It makes GYWOOM sound like a hit song.

Contemporized it'll be a pretty decent album track. But the hype of it, ironically makes it way easy to get mainstream appeal imo.
I think Weight would be difficult to contemporize, especially compared to the other tracks chosen for Xscape. It would be like creating a remix of Invincible, I wouldn’t even know where to start- the vocal melody for that track relies heavily on its Jerkins-style beat, you can’t really separate the two.

I think Weight would be difficult to contemporize, especially compared to the other tracks chosen for Xscape. It would be like creating a remix of Invincible, I wouldn’t even know where to start- the vocal melody for that track relies heavily on its Jerkins-style beat, you can’t really separate the two.
Yeah, there's no song that can be fixed with a remix if the vocals aren't good on first place.

Yeah, there's no song that can be fixed with a remix if the vocals aren't good on first place.
It’s not a vocal problem, it’s that the melody works well with the late-90s/2000s Jerkins style but I don’t see it working well in a more modern context.

It’s not a vocal problem, it’s that the melody works well with the late-90s/2000s Jerkins style but I don’t see it working well in a more modern context.
I was mostly talking about songs in general, a remix isn't an instant fix if the vocals aren't that good on first place. A lot of the songs the Estate has picked for album releases had strong vocals but weak instrumentals. Probably why the Estate settled in releasing WALWTG on T40 instead of using the remix they made for it eventually, because the chances are it didn't improve the song that much.

I believe this also has something to do with its lack of release on Michael and Xscape. I can't really imagine it being made modern. But who knows they did it with Children Are lmao.

I was mostly talking about songs in general, a remix isn't an instant fix if the vocals aren't that good on first place. A lot of the songs the Estate has picked for album releases had strong vocals but weak instrumentals. Probably why the Estate settled in releasing WALWTG on T40 instead of using the remix they made for it eventually, because the chances are it didn't improve the song that much.
Never heard the entire thing but I must say I much prefer the bits I have heard of the remix to the t40 version. The only reason it didnt come out is because Mark respectfully bowed out.

Never heard the entire thing but I must say I much prefer the bits I have heard of the remix to the t40 version. The only reason it didnt come out is because Mark respectfully bowed out.
Didn't they get him back for Diamonds Are Invincible though? They still could've maybe used his remix at some point. It's weird how they instead decided to release the original version of it which is bland by it's own. The chances are the remix isn't that much better than the og if that's the version the Estate decided to release.

Didn't they get him back for Diamonds Are Invincible though? They still could've maybe used his remix at some point. It's weird how they instead decided to release the original version of it which is bland by it's own. The chances are the remix isn't that much better than the og if that's the version the Estate decided to release.
I think the issue is his remix isn’t finished- he stated in an interview that he stopped working on the track, because he couldn’t figure out what Michael wanted to do with it.

The estate cant release his remix even if they wanted to. They dont have the rights over that version. And their choice to select that version means nothing as well, they chose a shitty tape rip of some random version of Behind The Mask LOL. The only reason his version wasnt released is because he didnt feel like he knew what mj wouldve wanted.

Not at all, no one outside the fanbase is gonna know or even care about the song. At most it'll get some attraction within the fanbase if it gets revealed on a tracklist but after that, it'd most likely end up like Xscape or Another Day in terms of popularity, or lower.
Literally on leaked dot cx all they talked about was this song. We're talking total Randos.

Honestly probably all the stuff he was working on in his last years. Dark Lady, the later mix of Throwing Your Life Away, Water, stuff like that.
I'm curious to see if the music he made during his very last years held up well to today’s production-wise, and that’s why I kinda like the idea of contemporizing Michael’s unreleased tracks; they give me a good idea of what his music might’ve sounded like today.

Last edited:
They already contemporized 4 different invincible outtakes. Rodney did one himself. Just let him do it again.

I'm wondering if the estate will contemporize any of the outtakes they’ve released through anniversary releases, such as BAD 25. They’ve already contemporized a few from The Ultimate Collection, so it’s not an impossibility imo.

It would have sounded way out of place on Michael. That's the biggest thing about the record; it's far more "analog" sounding than Invincible, like or hate it, any of it. The Casio tracks are the most "modern tunes", but Teddy has a pretty deft hand production wise. A shame about the tracks themselves being utter bollocks.

I am not British.

Xscape on the other hand, that was on LA Reid and his producers. Stargate said that a lot of the songs they were offered to work didn't speak to them, before they heard A Place With No Name. I imagine every producer got their chance of a tune's vocals to work with, whatever spoke to them. Maybe some stipulations. You can't tell me Slave to the Rhythm was picked by chance lol. CGYWOM just must've missed the draw.
There is also the fact that they put in the Xscape album all the songs that had already leaked and that were potentially on the line for Michael.

Literally on leaked dot cx all they talked about was this song. We're talking total Randos.
No, at most it was some people asking about that song on the laptop leak thread, and even then you can't count an unreleased songs leaks forum, a lot of them will be familiar of what's considered by many to be the unreleased grail of one of the most well known singers. The casual listener isn't going to know or care about the song.

They already contemporized 4 different invincible outtakes. Rodney did one himself. Just let him do it again.
I'm sorry but he ruined Xscape with his remix lol, he's the last person who should be called for that. Get Timbaland if anything, he's the only one who made an outtake from Invincible get mainstream appeal. With Rodney the chances are he'll make the song worse.

Timbaland is 50/50 for me. I think he salvaged “Chicago” and “Slave to the Rhythm,” and his take on “Loving You” is masterful, but he butchered “Blue Gangsta” and didn't really impress with “Do You Know Where Your Children Are.” I would love to see him do some separate, non-album remixes, but I feel firmly that Neff-U and John McClain should be the first calls if the estate ever wants to make another album.

Timbaland is 50/50 for me. I think he salvaged “Chicago” and “Slave to the Rhythm,” and his take on “Loving You” is masterful, but he butchered “Blue Gangsta” and didn't really impress with “Do You Know Where Your Children Are.” I would love to see him do some separate, non-album remixes, but I feel firmly that Neff-U and John McClain should be the first calls if the estate ever wants to make another album.

Yeah, I would be interested in hearing Timbaland do some remixes that are marketed as such, as I do genuinely like his stuff and it would be interesting to see what he'd come up with. Agreed on Loving You, I actually do quite like his mix of that. Chicago I can take it or leave it, I do think the remix is quite well done but it changes the song from what it originally was and I'm disappointed the estate gave us a mono, non mixed master for the demo. We don't talk about the DYKWYCA remix, lol.

Yeah agreed, John McClain's stuff has been very good, and Neff-U similarly seems to know how to keep the spirit of a track intact even if he does change it up a bit.

Just don't call Rodney or Stargate and I'm fine with whoever lol, they both ruined the songs they worked on.

Just don't call Rodney or Stargate and I'm fine with whoever lol, they both ruined the songs they worked on.

Yeah, I don't really understand what Rodney was trying to do with his remix. I guess it had to fit in with the other remixed tracks but yeah the original is so much better.

Timbaland's remixes are nice and I think he did justice to BG, but then there's DYKWYCA which is completely awful.

They should let RedOne and Pharrell have a go at some of the outtakes also.

Yeah, I don't really understand what Rodney was trying to do with his remix. I guess it had to fit in with the other remixed tracks but yeah the original is so much better.
Original was sounding great because MJ was leading Darkchild back then...

Thoughts about “The Verdict”? I think the finished track might be great, tbh. The leaked instrumentals (from the Brad Sundberg theft) are underwhelming, but that’s to be expected since they’re obviously unfinished, early concepts.
Sounds so fucking funky, love it. Sounds so ahead of its time, although it does sound slightly unfinished

Back