The Daily News Jan 20 - Grammys Will Stage 3-D Tribute to Michael Jackson

Thanks btw for showing the glasses, now i know what to get out.

Btw stereoscopic is not red and green, the the one begining with an A lol, think someone will clarify this.

Terry

The Grammys are staging an unprecedented tribute in honor of Michael Jackson.

The Jan. 31 broadcast will feature a never-before-seen 3-D clip Jackson made for his hit "Earth Song." The announcement was made Tuesday by the Recording Academy.

The clip was to be part of Jackson's London comeback shows last year. It will be accompanied by a performance featuring Carrie Underwood, Celine Dion, Usher, Jennifer Hudson and Smokey Robinson.

Jackson died June 25 in Los Angeles.

The 52nd annual Grammy Awards will air live from the Staples Center in Los Angeles on CBS.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=9609814

Today in
Michael Jackson History
1997 - Bulgarian composer Atanas Atansaov accused Michael Jackson of stealing his song "Nova Godina" and using in "Blood on the Dance Floor."

blood+on+the+dance+floor.jpg

Sounds very interesting.
I hope they dont wait til the end to show that part.
Maybe now the show will hold my attention for more than 5 minutes.

:)

Do you guys think the 3D glasses will be by the This Is It DVDs? I don't like asking for help. Sometimes the staff aren't so helpful.:(

I can't wait to see this..when it's over I think my eyes will be watery and red from all the crying I think I will do..it still hurts..

Aww some of your posts are so heartbreaking to read. Good news like this about Michael is always so bittersweet. I feel for his fans.

And now I have to go all the way to Target for those 3-D glasses? The nearest one to me is in Queens. Why couldn't they put some in Starbucks where there's one on every corner? LOL

Oh, and I'm pleased to read that Michael was a fan of Carrie Underwood (to some extent). I've always wondered what he thought of her. If Carrie sings any part of Earth Song, I'm sure she will do a beautiful job. I have NEVER been disappointed by any vocal performance of hers. She has almost perfect vocals, in my opinion. Oh, I would have loved to see a duet with Carrie and Michael happen!

Definatly excited to see this performance, that and the Bon Jovi performance as well...should be a good grammy show after all.

Cant wait to see this... but now im gonna go and moonwalk :moonwalk for a while til that day comes, sounds amazing, i knew the Grammys were, well you know, the most significant important prestigious awards in music, they dont do all fast and bad prepared like other shows we have seen...

Michael dedicated 45 years of his short 50 years of life to music, they will have to manage that very well too, cause as we all know he became famous at the age of 11, but he was in music since 5, wow, The Grammys will have to work hard, i'll will see it, then i will see if i get my Michael Black Fedora Hat to honor them :hi:

bye

Just warning you guys that the 3D won't be the same as the one in the movie theaher. It will be red/blue crap don't waste your time

ugh, nobody is answering us, we want to see this as much as everyone else!!!!!!! how can we get hold of these glasses in the UK?
can't you just get normal 3D glasses over there. Does it have to be those paper 3D glasses that have This Is It printed on them?

framed 3D glasses are better than the paper ones.

can't you just get normal 3D glasses over there. Does it have to be those paper 3D glasses that have This Is It printed on them?

framed 3D glasses are better than the paper ones.

I know what you are saying but I love collecting all MJ things, especially these since the concerts were going to be in 3D!!!!

Lawyers Oppose Jackson’s Father’s Plea

Lawyers for Michael Jackson’s estate have filed papers opposing an effort by Joe Jackson, the singer’s father, to receive a monthly allowance, The Associated Press reported. The lawyers, John Branca and John McClain, filed papers asking a judge to deny Mr. Jackson’s request for more than $15,000 a month from his son’s estate. They noted that the singer did not name his father as a beneficiary in his will and trust and that Joe Jackson failed to show that his son supported him while he was alive. When Mr. Jackson filed for the monthly stipend in November, he said he needed the financial help to survive.

here is link:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/23/arts/music/23arts-003.html

Quincy Jones, Lionel Richie Re-record "We are the World," honor Michael Jackson

With all the honors that have been paid to Michael Jackson since his untimely death on June 25, perhaps none would mean more - to him and those in need - than the re-recording of "We are the World."
Jackson's collaborators on the original 1985 song -- Quincy Jones (who co-produced the song) and Lionel Richie (who co-wrote the song with Jackson) -- plan to celebrate Jackson's memory while raising money for Haitian relief through a massive 25th anniversary re-recording, according to Roger Friedman of The Hollywood Reporter.
The night after The Grammy Awards, Jones and Richie will gather a host of big name singers and musicians -- including John Legend, Usher and Natalie Cole - to re-record the three-time Grammy Award winning song. Fergie, Alician Keys, Sting and Justin Timberlake are also rumored to be involved, reported Friedman.
"It’s hoped that as in 1985, everyone will `leave their egos at the door,'" wrote Friedman.
The 1985 version of the song - which featured such talent as Jackson, Diana Ross, Kenny Rogers, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen and Cyndi Lauper -- raised more than $11 million for African relief.
A special tribute to Jackson is reportedly also planned for The Grammy Awards.
here is link:http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.a...8007006&grpId=3659174697243100&nav=Groupspace

We Are the World to be re-recorded for Haiti aid

jackson-lionel-reuters-221.jpg
Singer Lionel Richie, performing during memorial services for pop star Michael Jackson in Los Angeles last July, will be shepherding a new recording of We Are the World, which Jackson also co-authored. (Mario Anzuoni)

Lionel Ritchie, along with music producer Quincy Jones, is joining a chorus of acts lining up to help Haiti by recording a new version of We Are the World.
The veteran performers announced Friday they would release the song also in honour of the track's 25th anniversary.
Back in 1985, it was recorded with a cavalcade of American music stars including Stevie Wonder, Cyndi Lauper, Bruce Springsteen and Michael Jackson to benefit the starving people of Africa. At the time, it was aimed at Ethiopia, which was suffering a major famine.
Now it will join charity singles released to raise funds for the victims of the Haitian earthquake.
Recently, R.E.M. said it would allow its hit single Everybody Hurts to be used in the group effort in Britain headed by Simon Cowell. As well, U2 has teamed up with Jay-Z to produce a song, Stranded, for Haiti.
Organizers of the new recording of We Are the World are asking artists to stay in Los Angeles for an extra night after the Grammy awards on Jan. 31.
Richie and Jones hope to recruit the likes of Usher, Natalie Cole and John Legend, as well as many Grammy nominees, according to a report on Billboard.com
Organizers say they plan to find a way to make the late Michael Jackson part of the project. According to Billboard.com: "In some way, the song's co-author Michael Jackson will be invoked."
here is link:http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2010/01/23/wearetheworld-haiti.html

Andre to remember Jackson in upcoming tour
peterandreblacksuit09pa.jpg

Peter Andre's upcoming tour will feature a tribute to Michael Jackson.

The 'Mysterious Girl' singer is preparing to go on the road next month and although he doesn't want to give away too many secrets, revealed he is hard at work with the late singer's former choreographer planning a special sequence.

He said: "Rehearsals have started for my tour which starts next month. I don't want to give too much away, but there will be a section of my show dedicated to Michael Jackson.

"I'm working with a choreographer who did some of the late singer's videos, and Britney Spears' last tour, so I'm in capable hands. Now I just need to build up my stamina."

Last year, 36-year-old Peter revealed he would be planning a memorial show for the late 'King of Pop' - who died of acute Propofol intoxication last June - on the anniversary of his death.

He said: "There are a few options, one being a live concert and another being a one-off TV special."

here is link:http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/andre-to-remember-jackson-in-upcoming-tour-443106.html

Michael Jackson’s This Is It Review

ThisIsIt-sm.jpg

Michael Jackson’s This Is It is a concert collage, pieced together from various rehearsals and behind-the-scenes footage, accompanied by the nagging reminder that the title is eerily accurate.
A title card provides context for the Michael Jackson’s return to the stage, a series of 50 sold out concerts in London at the age of 50 that would mark the comeback for the “King of Pop.” Instead he would die of a cardiac arrest eighteen days before audiences assembled, leaving behind only this patchwork version of his vision. As the opening reads, this is strictly “for the fans…”
The film strips away allegations of inappropriate relationships before his June 25th death and ignores the opportunists who squabbled over the spotlight once he was gone. Cobbled together by director Kenny Ortega, the performance prep ignores the public controversy of Michael the man and focuses solely on him as an artist. While in reality this became increasingly more difficult to separate, perhaps the greatest strength of this posthumous portrait is how the drama simply disappears while watching him dance.
As Jackson twirls and slides, his gift is undeniable and for a time I found myself settling into the groove of his nearly polished performance. Fostered over a lifetime, the extraordinary talent of Jackson is in his impeccable timing, popping and locking to the beat in perfect sync with a crew of background dancers. Regardless if you like his music, he was a truly remarkable entertainer, and this is coming from someone who isn’t a Michael Jackson fan.
michael-jackson-rehearsal2.jpg
His characteristic, nasally voice belts out the greatest hits, a set list of instantly recognizable songs. Billy Jean. Man in the Mirror. Beat It. Smooth Criminal is a green-screened 40’s era shootout with Humphrey Bogart. Thriller is spliced in as a newly-recorded music video. Though without the benefit of 3D glasses the lumbering zombies are a low point of the film and Jackson doesn’t fully commit to the vocals or steps during rehearsal.

The concert doc bores when spending time with his background dancers, who gush over the honor of mimicking Michael before practicing the famous crotch grab until it’s up to standards. Ortega injects himself in the production, fawning over the legend like a lap dog and letting him call the shots.
The candid documentary casts Jackson as a perfectionist, fine tuning the production down to even the length of anticipatory pauses, which he called “the simmer.” In light of this fact, and his personal emphasis on privacy, it seems obvious Jackson wouldn’t have wanted this raw practice footage seen by the public. He wouldn’t have wanted this on screen any more than you’d want your scribbled notes presented to office management in your absence. Releasing an unfinished product four months after his death was clearly a cash grab and an exploitation of his legacy.
here is link:http://www.newsinfilm.com/2010/01/23/michael-jacksons-this-is-it-review/

function getSharePasskey() { return 'ex=1421989200&en=85bd9623ec11acdf&ei=5124';}function getShareURL() { return encodeURIComponent('http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/23/arts/music/23arts-003.html');}function getShareHeadline() { return encodeURIComponent('Lawyers Oppose Jackson’s Father’s Plea');}function getShareDescription() { return encodeURIComponent('Lawyers for Michael Jackson’s estate have filed papers opposing an effort by Joe Jackson, the singer’s father, to receive a monthly allowance, The Associated Press reported.');}function getShareKeywords() { return encodeURIComponent('');}function getShareSection() { return encodeURIComponent('arts');}function getShareSectionDisplay() { return encodeURIComponent('Arts, Briefly');}function getShareSubSection() { return encodeURIComponent('music');}function getShareByline() { return encodeURIComponent(' Compiled by FELICIA R. LEE');}function getSharePubdate() { return encodeURIComponent('January 23, 2010');}

picture of the day: :)

alg_michael_jackson.jpg

Michael Jackson Estate says 'No go, Joe' to father's appeal for money

No go, Joe" was essentially the response when attorneys for the Michael Jackson filed a motion to stop Joe Jackson (singer Michael Jackson's father), obtaining an allowance from the Jackson Estate.

While *****'s mother and 3 children were amply provided for, the 81-year old founder of The Jackson Five was not even mentioned in the Will.

Since Michael's untimely death at the age of 50 on June 25, 2010, the estate is reported to have grown by more than $200 million.

Now the "King Of Pop's" pop is appealing to the court for a piece of the pie.

Claiming his monthly expenses exceed $20,000 as he supports children, grandchildren and pays for travel, hotels, assistants, as well as and legal fees, the notorious taskmaster will now take his request to the court where a hearing is already scheduled for January 28, 2010.

The New York TImes reports that the Estate denied Joe Jackson's request because the father "failed to show that his son supported him while he was alive."

here is link:http://www.examiner.com/x-36751-Can...te-says-No-go-Joe-to-fathers-appeal-for-money

Michael Jackson's 3D image to be featured at Grammy Awards in star-studded duet

Michael Jackson's 3D image will perform his "Earth Song" on CBS's Grammy Awards show Jan. 31, accompanied by Smokey Robinson, Carrie Underwood, Usher, Jennifer Hudson and Celine Dion.
It has the potential to be "one of our most memorable moments," perennial Grammy producer Ken Ehrlich said Wednesday, but it isn't what he, Michael and everyone else had originally planned.
"We talked with Michael a year ago about performing on last year's show," said Ehrlich. "And he finally told us he'd do it next year."
After Jackson's death on June 25, Ehrlich said he approached the Jackson family with a proposal for a tribute built around the 3D film of "Earth Song." He said the family "was very receptive. . . . They got it right away."
The film had been planned as a centerpiece of the tour for which Jackson was rehearsing when he died.
"I met with him the night before he passed," said Ehrlich. "We stood together and watched the film, which is quite magic."
The Grammy team considered and rejected the idea of having other artists perform Jackson songs, said Ehrlich.
"Songs like 'Billie Jean,' 'Beat It,' those are songs you really only want to hear Michael Jackson perform," he said. "This song reflects Michael's deeply held feelings about the earth."
Regular TV viewers will be able to watch the film "normally," said Ehrlich, with "only a little softness" on some of the wide shots Viewers can enhance the experience by picking up a pair of 3D glasses, which will be distributed free at Target stores starting Sunday.
Ehrlich added that he loves 3D technology and would love to see the whole Grammys show broadcast in 3D.
"But that depends on enough people buying 3D sets," he said, estimating we are "five years, or more" from hitting critical viewer mass.
Ehrlich said the "Earth Song" duet will not be exactly like the part-video duets he has done in the past between Nat and Natalie Cole or Frank Sinatra and Alicia Keyes.
"You won't see Michael lip-synching along," he said.
He also said all five of the guest artists "accepted immediately" and said they would be "honored" to participate. They were chosen, he said, because Michael was a fan of all their music.
Ehrlich declined to provide a lot more details on who will perform on the Grammys show, saying he wanted to "keep a little mystery in TV."
He did confirm viewers can expect "Lady Gaga and someone else, and Taylor Swift and someone else."

here is link:http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...red_at_grammy_awards_in_starstudded_duet.html

Grammys Plan a 3-D Tribute to Michael Jackson

26jackson_75.jpg

Michael Jackson’s ability to provide audiences with technologically innovative, over-the-top spectacles has in no way been curtailed by his death. The coming Grammy Awards ceremony will include a special tribute to the King of Pop featuring a portion that will be broadcast in 3-D, the Recording Academy said on Wednesday.
It’s not quite the return of “Captain EO,” the 3-D movie starring Jackson that was shown at Disney theme parks in the 1980s. But the Grammy Awards, which will be shown Jan. 31 on CBS, will honor Mr. Jackson with a performance that will show a short 3-D film, set to his “Earth Song,” that was originally being prepared for the “This Is It” tour he was rehearsing at the time of his death in June. The academy said that special 3-D glasses for this portion of the broadcast will be given out at Target stores (and of course to the audience members watching the Grammys at the Staples Center). Other performers who will also participate in the tribute include Celine Dion, Jennifer Hudson, Smokey Robinson, Carrie Underwood and Usher.

here is link:http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/20/grammys-plan-a-3-d-tribute-to-michael-jackson/

Jackson movie bittersweet
'This Is It' reminds us of unfilled possibilities. Blu-ray includes videos

One of the best times I had in a movie theater last year was at This Is It, the documentary following Michael Jackson as he prepared for what had been announced as his farewell tour.
Of course, Jackson died before the tour could happen. And the documentary — arriving on DVD and Blu-ray on Tuesday — is painful because it suggests huge, unrealized possibilities in the tour — as well as reminding us what Jackson could do on a stage, apart from all the flaws in his personal life.
As I said in a review of the movie, I could put aside, at least briefly, all my concerns about Jackson as a person and settle in to admire the performer. Here was someone who at various points in the documentary recalled Charlie Chaplin, Fred Astaire and Jimi Hendrix while still being — above all else — Jackson himself, a powerful stage presence, a memorable vocalist.
If not the king of pop, he was at least a legendary performer, and one who is most effective in footage of his just letting go on the rehearsal stage, feeling the joy and pushing the limits as a singer and dancer. And, while the movie is scrubbed of anything that the makers thought would reflect negatively on the star, This Is It still manages to show how demanding and meticulous he was, of himself and others, when it came to performance.
Michael Jackson: This Is It retails for $28.96 on standard DVD, $39.95 on Blu-ray and $24.94 in its PlayStation Portable format.
Extras on DVD include a making-of documentary, dancers' auditions and a Memories of Michael segment. Besides those pieces, the Blu-ray adds new videos of Thriller and Smooth Criminal and elements via BD-Live, which requires an Internet connection.

here is link:http://www.ohio.com/entertainment/movies/82539892.html

Michael Jackson theme park
51792167.jpg

Work is expected to begin this year on a 100-acre Michael Jackson entertainment complex in Gary, Ind., that would include a museum, performing arts center, hotel, golf course and theme park inspired by the pop singer's Neverland Ranch (such as the ride pictured above). "Everything is in the planning stages at this point, but we're moving on a fast track, and we're looking forward to actually breaking ground sometime in 2010," said Odie Anderson, president of the Jackson family project in the pop singer's hometown.

Anderson said the Indiana theme park would include rides found at Jackson's 2,700-acre Neverland Ranch near Santa Barbara, Calif. It's not yet clear whether the park would include all the same attractions. The $1 billion project would be built over 10 years, starting with the museum, arts center and hotel, then golf course and theme park.

here is link:http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/family/sc-trav-0119-know-20100122,0,1215233.story

Well, I'm still confused about the 3-D glasses. Can we use "traditional" old fashioned ones or are the ones at Target somehow different? Or are the Target ones special because they are collectible "This Is It" glasses but for viewing 3-D are still traditional glasses? I really want to avoid a trip to Queens. -_-

Edit: Oh, there's a Brooklyn Target on Flatbush Ave but that's still too far for me. I'm lazy, lol.

I was just at Target and I couldnt find the 3-D glasses anywhere!!! I'm so mad!!! I looked in the Entertainment dept several times and... nothing!!! are we supposed to just ask for them? I'm so confused!

Last edited:
Well, I found some old 3-D glasses at my mom's place that I used for Regis & Kelly's 3-D Hallween special two years ago, lol. I hope they work for the Grammys. :)

I got my 3D glasses at Target today. They were in the electronic section by the DVDs. They come in a 4-pack. I asked and the Target employees were very helpful.

Well, I'm still confused about the 3-D glasses. Can we use "traditional" old fashioned ones or are the ones at Target somehow different? Or are the Target ones special because they are collectible "This Is It" glasses but for viewing 3-D are still traditional glasses? I really want to avoid a trip to Queens. -_-

Edit: Oh, there's a Brooklyn Target on Flatbush Ave but that's still too far for me. I'm lazy, lol.

I think the Target ones are just special because of the "This Is It" logo - which makes it worth it for me, LoL. :D

And yeah, I live two stops from that Target. =P It's at Atlantic Ave.

I got my 3D glasses at Target today. They were in the electronic section by the DVDs. They come in a 4-pack. I asked and the Target employees were very helpful.

Oh, wow! Wait, so, did you have to pay for them?... :unsure: The girl I asked had no idea what I was talking about and had to call someone. Then she said they didn't have them in yet, but to keep calling to check. :(

I think the Target ones are just special because of the "This Is It" logo - which makes it worth it for me, LoL. :D

Oh really? I've never been to that area, I don't think. I could go after work (I work in Manhattan) but I really would rather go home. And my mom is in the hospital (Manhattan also) so I probably will be going there before home. I'll just have to settle for my Regis & kelly 3-D glasses, hehe! Glad we don't need "special" ones. I just want the full 3-D experience!

Oh okay good, then I won't go get any at Target because I have mine from when I went to see Avatar. :)

Oh okay good, then I won't go get any at Target because I have mine from when I went to see Avatar. :)

Oh, but I think the Avatar ones were the RealD clear ones, right? These (I believe?) are going to be the cheap, old-school, red and blue paper ones. I still have a pair that came with a Kid-Cuisine from sometime in the 90s, :lmao:. I used them to play 3D Dinosaur and 3D Body, the games that came with Packard Bell computers in like '92? Oh yeah. :punk:

Can u watch 3D on any TV or computer screen? Or do u need 3D compatible screens..?

Back