sexuality

World is unpredictable, and magical things happen. There is a lot of mistery in this world which science can't explain. I, personally, believe in God.

Imagine that there are in hospital 2 old grannies.
Doctor thought - ''That one isn't going to live much for sure. (for example, she's 90 year old and is ill). But that other one is going to live up to 100 years''
The point is that doctor thought about symptoms and decided like that. Pure science. But then image that doctor was mistaken and that healthy one died shortly but 90 years old lady still lived well.. By that I mean, life is unpredictable and these things happen. That's why I think there is some higher power in this world.

No need to reply this. Just saying my thoughts.

*leaving the thread*

^Like I said, believers will find any excuse in the book to adhere to their beliefs. You can't compare someone creating music to something like beliefs about the afterlife/a purely non-physical world. The entire comparison is ridiculous, and if ever an artist or musician believed his creations actually existed in another world, I'd advise them to seek professional help, as that sounds entirely delusional. There is a difference between the abstract idea or concept of something which is not physically manifested, and a belief in worlds where people come back from the dead, or sky deities sip tea alongside us. It is not one and the same--you cannot justify irrational beliefs by conjuring artistic processes. If these things were real, they would manifest on their own--there would be no human component to pen them down, and therefore, no brain activity would be required on behalf of the artist, as he would be naught but a vessel through which this "magic world" of music/art/etc. travels. To me, that sounds totally far-fetched, and I can say that from an artist's, and not a scientist's, perspective.

Of course you can compare, very easily actually. I don't think Michael was pushing his beliefs onto you when he described how he writes music. He was the first one to say that it existed already and only came through him being the instrument. That's not delusional, but countless other musicians and composers spoke similarly.

That is not not logical to say it's far fetched from an artist's standpoint. Let's allow for a second he's not the prime candidate for mental illness that you make him out to be for a sec, and without forcing his "beliefs" on you.

And secondly, just because it sounds entirely delusional to YOU, doesn't mean it is delusional. You can't accuse others of making their experience and first hand knowledge a subjective delusion, while proclaiming that your viewpoint and perception is the only one.
If you are that free to establish yourself as the 'norm' and non-delusional based on what something sounds like to you- then you at least will have to allow for others to apply the same rules to YOU.
It would be NOT scientific to declare one person as the norm, without running that trial among composers to see what results in both homogenous heterogeneous test groups say about what you just labeled 'delusional'.

You're also not being very scientific when you mix and match the composition of music and tea sipping deities.
Here is an article which provides some interesting information on creativity and the brain: http://www.livestrong.com/article/81868-parts-brain-influence-creativity/

We also use the right side of our brains to lie--which requires imagination, therefore, are lies also perceptions from another world? How do we discriminate what is real and what isn't if our definition is based solely on subjective perception?
Some would say collective consciousness, although both Freud and Jung could never quite make up their mind if they mean that in the 'brain is a piece of meat' kind of way that influences us, or how precisely that was supposed to happen. Just add the angle. Why not say for a second that lies are perceptions of an alternative reality? Let's assume that for a second, why not, it would be scientific to explore all possibilities on the origins of lies.

It's just like any relationship between at least 2 people- there's no black and white either, ask a married couple and you think they exist in at least 4 different parallel universes! :devil:

Would you care to enlighten us on these observations of the non-physical world? What would make your observations any more valid than those of someone diagnosed with schizophrenia? Isn't that a matter of perception as well? The paranoid schizophrenic perceives he is being watched/attacked/harassed, when nothing of the sort is occurring--does that make him "able to perceive something others can't?" Interestingly enough, that sort of delusion (believing they possess abilities others are "blind" to, like psychic powers, etc.) is part of the criteria for a schizophrenia diagnosis. For that matter, what of the "observations" of people who are high on hallucinogens? The people who, in their high state, mistake ordinary things for threatening objects? Did the object morph in another dimension, or is the drug user's perception/observation evidently flawed?

Actually, I do not because because it would be pointless. You expect things to be proven to you- that's the difference between seeking and demanding others prove something to you. None of us gets around the search for answers, just like science.
Those in the next world don't need your approval to exist and they have no obligation to prove anything to you.
You can prove a few 'spiritual' things even visually as some other (more patient) people have done, but that would be kinda lost here. I actually love taking part in anything experimental, sharing of knowledge, demonstrations etc- but you have to weigh who's just there to insult and who has a genuine interest- I think that's fair.

See, some people see atheism (I don't) as a mental disease, there usually is zero dialogue reached when assuming the other is just just mentally ill because they're 'crazy'. Speaking of conjecture that you accused me of- your assumption of 'threatening' is conjecture. Who are you speaking to? Fictional characters? By the way, who ever told you about all perceptions of a non-physical world are 'threatening', just because you like to liken them to a schizophrenic? (maybe you should read up on schizophrenia as well)

...No matter who places the metal, or at what time of day or night, the events will be the same.

I have a bowl with metal edges, I noticed it stopped sparking in the microwave. That's definitely nothing psychic, just that the metal edge wore off a little- I still see it with my eyes, but no sparks anymore. But it's not as the same result either every day and night- but the conditions changed, less metal in the microwave. Still physical world stuff and still not black and white.

Your spirituality, on the other hand, claims that only "special" people (special by default of your definition, since they deviate from the currently accepted human perception) can perceive these things which exist in the non-physical world, and if someone fails to find them, that person is not "in the know." It is perfectly permissible to ask questions--however, claiming to know something without providing anything of substance to validate this supposed knowledge/insight is ludicrous at best. ...

You haven't even heard of 'my definition', yet you seem to know it's nonsense.

Alright, let's get scientific then, let's not rant generally.
Just as I can't claim that 'all scientists agree on all things', let's be specific here.

What is "my" spirituality? And how on earth do you know what "my" spirituality says? ;D To even go so far to make it a possession?

I'm actually not a New Ager. I try not to favor any one religious tradition, although I can't deny big fascination with both Hinduism and Early Mystical Christianity. And although Christian's would like to trademark the word and meaning of 'spiritual', that's not really the case either.

1.)New Agers (and that's really using a broad stroke in a gigantic brush here!) would say that we're pretty much all darn special and therefore all are capable of achieving Christ Consciousness.
Nobody would really be all that special, except for a few people that are just a bit faster in evolvement in a relative time context- but that in now way excludes you and me from psychism.
Not all New Agers believe in "Ascended Masters" and "Mahatmas", if we wanna get specific here on 'special people'.

Even if you believed in "special people' as a New Ager (what exactly is that?), no one in any publication is excluding anyone.
Even if New Agers believed in 'special people' such as aforementioned Ascended Masters and/or Mahatmas- that in no way excludes me and you from psychism AT ALL. But the existence of "special people" in no way excludes you from psychism, as you assumed.

2.)Hindus for exam define 'siddhis' (perfection", "accomplishment", "attainment", or "success"- some people call that psychic powers ) as a byproduct of general evolvement in incarnated humans. I haven't quite found any indication that would exclude any one specific being from such evolution on the road to 'perfection', ie, evolving.
Of course they have their deities, but in no literature have I found any evidence of you and me being excluding from developing siddhis, ie 'psychic powers.'

3.)Early Christians also didn't exactly excluded anyone from mystical experiences. Even later Christians (before bible thumping got so extremely popular) were highly favorable of tales of the poorest of the poor receiving visions of Mary etc. - not special people at all.

Actually, the more I research, the more I do not find proof that requires any special beings per se, although certainly Hinduism places emphasis on certain 'birth factors'. But overall throughout religious traditions and even "New Age nuttiness" you'll find an overall match up that we all are capable of 'something', noone is 'doomed to not being saved', anyone can evolve. (just that the politics of the time don't really like that viewpoint)

Your assumption on 'my spirituality' couldn't be more off. Establishing yourself as the expert on someone else is not scientific, it's just illogical and makes no sense. You not only talk about what you think other people 'believe'- you also assumed incorrectly about some exclusive club of 'special' people- you are incorrect- and which is why I state these examples.
When dismissing something as hogwash, it helps to know what one dismisses.

Honestly, that's probably the last posting on the topic. Science and spiritual search are so closely related that there is no need for anyone to deny the other as delusional and irrational nut, for neither one is either.

One can be an astronomer, scientist and a spiritual seeker and so much more than that, all rolled up in one.

Last edited:
@ GinVid

Irrational means, by its very definition, void of logical reason. Beliefs are void of logical reason, as they appeal to emotions. Anything which appeals to subjective emotions is, by its very definition, irrational. The word is merely that--it is not meant to be either negative or condescending, however, it's not my fault you choose to view it that way. Calling something irrational is not equivalent to insulting it--it just means it is not based on a logical foundation, and beliefs by their very definition are not based on this. We are all capable of being irrational--my love for certain books and disdain toward others, for example, is based on personal preference and is therefore both irrational and subjective. I wouldn't take offence to that, as it is entirely true. As for being unreasonable--I don't recall ever calling anybody that, so I dunno what to say. However, I've said time and time again, I wouldn't change anybody's personal beliefs--but as they are entitled to voice them, I am entitled to voice the converse.

Perhaps you've misunderstood what I've said in my prior post regarding mental illness--I am not implying people who believe irrational things are mentally ill per se. What I've been trying to ask is--how do we distinguish between the beliefs of mentally ill people and those who merely choose to stick to something irrational simply because it suits their fancy or soothes their ego (or whatever other reason you can think of)? Under which criteria, putting logic aside, do we tell one he is absolutely a nutter, and tell the other his beliefs are suitable, when neither appeal to anything one would recognize as reason? The entire basis for some mental illness diagnoses, such as anything having to do with delusion, is a deviation from the status quo of what is accepted as reality--therefore, how would you justify naming one person thus and excusing the other, when neither's beliefs can be proven true?

Regarding the R. Kelly song--I know the song is meant to be a metaphor. I'm not analyzing the song--this discussion is not about that--however, in its metaphoric state, Kelly very obviously penned a drastic belief to deliver a message across, so as to tell the readers he believed in himself so much it amounted to an ridiculous statement, which I took at face value to serve as a statement to prove my point (mainly because I find the song amusing). I think it is obvious that nobody thinks Kelly believes he can literally fly. However--under the influence of drugs, and sometimes due to mental illness alone, there are people who truly do believe they can fly--and they try and very obviously fail, so my example was not unfathomable--belief and reality are two very different things, as they come to discover.

As for scientists "filling in the blanks" with "beliefs"--they are not beliefs, they are called hypotheses, educated guesses based on existing information (similar to estimating numbers in mathematics) not beliefs pulled from one's bottom without any rhyme or reason, and the fact that things have been later revised and replaced with more current findings actually serves as a testament to the scientific method, not a criticism against it. It does not invalidate either scientific thinking, or findings. In fact, it tells us even things which we currently hold as facts are suitable for further examination and study--it does not stop at, "I found it!" Clearly--otherwise, nothing would ever be debunked.
Belief, however, is held on to stubbornly by those who are believers despite evidence of proof to the contrary, and originates either through conditioning (passing down of beliefs and values through generations, such as religious affiliation) or through a good-faith yet flimsy attempt to explain the mechanisms of the world. It is plainly pulled from thin air--it is not like scientific hypotheses, based on at least some evidence indicating the probability of the idea.

Regarding views such as "blank slate," the debates between opposing sides have been enduring for ages now as well--if it were always accepted as fact, there'd be no need to debate over it. Moreover, "tabula rasa" (blank mind) was originally formed in the 18th century, by philosopher John Locke (on Arabic philosophical influence), and belongs in the realm of philosophy, as Locke argued for it with philosophical arguments in his essays, and did not present scientific facts to support it.

Static universe was an idea presented by Einstein and supported by Dutch scientist Willem de Sitter as a response to Einstein's general relativity equations. Despite the fact that our universe is not static at present, the idea of a static universe is not an incorrect idea per se, as cosmologists have found it to be within the realm of possibility in the future. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070524094126.htm Another response to these equations was one by Georges Lemaitre, considered one of the first to attempt to apply Einstein's theories to cosmology. His findings influenced Edwin Hubble, who is responsible for the expanding universe theory and Hubble's law. Einstein did not block Hubble out when he disproved his theory, now did he? He admitted his blunder, and the correctness of the Hubble model.

The claims spouted by phrenology were not considered scientific facts either--it was regarded as a pseudoscience and was stated as such despite its popularity, even within the 19th century. It was never accepted into the British Association for the Advancement of Science, for example, and was compared to other belief-based forms of pseudoscience such as astrology and palmistry.

Finally, cold fusion was never considered fact, as others failed to replicate the "findings" of Fleischmann and Pons. This failure to replicate results was the very thing which caused the downfall of cold fusion. Due to the energy crisis at the time, it was hoped that Fleischmann's and Pons' claims would hold to reproduction by other groups and usher in a revolution, however, they failed to do this, and since cold fusion could not be successfully reproduced by others, it was not considered scientific fact.

As for the tyrannosaurus rex being some sort of scavenger instead of both a hunter and an occasional scavenger, (or as some Christians dare to believe, a plant-eater), here is some interesting research going on in regards to the T-rex's behaviour as a hunter: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110126081714.htm
Like most predators, the T-rex was probably a hunter and an opportunistic scavenger, not a pure scavenger like vultures.

Have another: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41274041/ns/technology_and_science-science/

Blaming the exaggerations of "Jurassic Park" on scientists is about as useful as citing "Jaws" to prove sharks want nothing more than to kill humans. The media (this includes film media) has a tendency to exaggerate (or sometimes even fabricate)things for sensationalism and ratings--I am sure, being on a Michael Jackson fanboard, we're all very familiar with their penchant for this. Regarding the Jaws example I've put forth--scientists have been advocating for sharks for ages since that film came out and caused mass hysteria regarding sharks. Despite the rarity of shark attacks, and the low fatality rate of them, thanks to Hollywood people still hold them in a generally negative light. You can't judge science through Hollywood--it's not the director's job to get things right, his niche is to entertain. Inaccuracies exist even in historically-based films, it is called artistic license. However, you wouldn't judge history because x director's film presented it one way, I would hope.

As for Australopithecus Afarensis, clearly, the debate over its lifestyle and even its walking habits is still ongoing, however, from the remains gathered, certain information is present--the bones allow one to examine the creature at length. Do not underestimate findings simply because of bones--skeletal remains are very useful, and by studying deviations from the norm, one can find anything from a possible cause of death to possible traits and abilities, as the bones of this "Lucy" species have shown--it is the deviation from most primate remains which causes scientists to think of this now-extinct species as either a direct ancestor of homo sapiens, or a close relative of one. Tooth structure, etc. can tell volumes about an animal's possible diet--so it is not, "I believe this animal species is vegetarian," but rather, the teeth found in members of x species are as such, therefore, a vegetarian diet would have suited them best.

Moreover, what has been found, Lucy's remains, are clearly more than "fragments." Here is a comparison between Lucy's skeleton and a human one:

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/anthrop.../web/australopithecus/Lucy vs humanfemale.jpg
More information on Australopithecus: http://www.columbia.edu/itc/anthropology/v1007/2002projects/web/australopithecus/austro.html

Regarding King Tut, his body was very badly messed with, evidently, and the previously held notion that he may have been murdered because of a fracture to the skull is not a wildly far-fetched one, but actually fairly plausible given his authority and the fracture itself--probable cause, and apparent evidence. However, upon deeper examination, it was found that the fracture is insufficient to cause death, and so further analysis ensued Finally, here is an interesting article regarding Tut and the now solved mystery behind his death: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7128729...t/scans-resolve-mystery-over-king-tuts-death/

Science and belief (not specifically religion--that's not how this started, but religious beliefs would also be applicable) are worlds apart. One actually cares to provide at least some objective evidence to back its claims, and can accept without reproach when future findings either expand upon or debunk previously held findings, whereas the other functions on faith alone and evidently cannot stand rationally-based opposition (or any other kind of opposition, if we are to get religious about this, as they all claim to be the one "true" faith). I disagree with Pace--there is no room for faith in reason, and for reason in faith--the two things, by their very definition, are like water and oil. What you say regarding science applying only to the physical and religion to the spiritual does not work because there is no objective proof (meaning, non-belief based) that the spiritual even exists.

With that, I conclude my rebuttal (assumingly, for now). As an aside, it's Severus.

Last edited:
Of course you can compare...all rolled up into one.

First, I never claimed he was forcing his beliefs on me. However, others (not you, from what I have seen) on here have cited his outlook as some sort of rebuttal, despite its complete irrelevance to the subject in general, and its uselessness in validating their piece. Second, just because he (and others claim) claims this is what happens does not mean this is what actually happens. Long ago, people claimed, for example, that demons governed the souls of certain people and made them do certain things. Does that make it so? No. Despite their claims, no evidence exists to hold this as fact. Similarly, an artist who claims "divine inspiration" or "hearing things from another world" is not in the right simply because he believes it is so, any more than someone claiming to have an intimate relationship with Brad Pitt would be.

Michael's stances, while I do respect them and him for his artistry, are belief-based and subjective, and I think he knew this. He merely described his artistic process as he understood it--he did not claim it had to hold true for others, or universally, as you seem to claim.

You keep mentioning "first-hand" knowledge as some sort of support for your hypothesis, but fail to tell us what this exclusive knowledge is supposed to be. I don't claim things and blame you for not buying them if I present no evidence whatsoever to support my claims. "Experience" and first-hand "knowledge" are incredibly subjective and not universally applicable--the same thing could be claimed by someone who is either under the influence of drugs or suffering from delusions. How do we tell them their experiences are false when we have no universal standard to contrast it with? In their minds, they have experience and first-hand "knowledge" about whatever it is they experience, don't they?

What they say and what actually is are two very different things. Scientific facts are not gathered from what people claim to experience. That's more along the realm of paranormal/new agey things, not scientific research. By your very approach, you're already isolating a group of people as the "special" ones who can see these things you claim others can't. Why should the ability run solely among composers? And why, even if they all claim the same thing, should we believe it to be true? That'd be akin to believing the echoes spouted forth by, say, cult members as fact simply because a large group of people claim things. It is not uncommon for people in cult settings to believe they have special abilities that others don't, so the comparison is not an unreasonable one.

Moreover, I do not establish myself as the norm. I've provided links to research, explanations, etc. from people outside myself as the largest components of my arguments--so I'm afraid your attempt to claim I'm establishing my own perception as "the norm" has no substance. Unlike the rest of you, I've gone into specifics about the things others have found and others yet have or have not been able to reproduce, and have provided much information (not beliefs--information) on the topics of discussion.

As for my being non-scientific when comparing somebody's belief that they hear things others don't to somebody's belief they will one day sip tea with deities, that's my very point. Both are by their very composition unscientific. I am not criticizing the process of music composition itself--I am terming the belief that the created material comes from some other world/reality/whatever else as plausible as the belief someone could have of one day going to another world to sip tea with all-powerful beings. Neither is based on logic or fact.

As for lies--the very definition of lies is that they are the antithesis of truth. Truth, by its definition, must always be factual. Lies, as the polar opposite, must always be false. You can't have something that is half-true be considered truth--the moment it deviates from the whole truth is the moment it is distorted into a lie. There are many concepts which allow for grey areas to exist, however, things like truth/lies, reality/fiction, fact/belief are not among them.

Regarding my example of a drug user under stages of paranoia as a side effect of a drug, it was obviously not meant to state that all perceptions of what some believe to be non-physical reality are threatening. I've read more on the subject than you could imagine--and I've also read my fair share of literature regarding schizophrenia, and know that not all auditory/visual/etc. hallucinations they have are threatening in nature. You are either completely misunderstanding what I am saying or else purposely twisting it, because the entire point of that example was: suppose someone (not everyone--someone, meaning one person) either suffering from mental illness or else temporarily under the influence of a potent drug, senses some object to be threatening to him (not unheard of, especially among drug users). To everyone else, the object appears as it actually is--however, to him, it appears differently. Did the object change in another dimension, or whatever it is you're claiming, or is his perception flawed? Similarly, suppose someone has a positive non-physical experience with something nobody else can see. Despite the positive feelings it might arise within him, the fact that nobody else can see this supposed object deems his perception false.

The example clearly called for something made of metal (i.e. a spoon), not something merely decorated with it, although this too will cause sparking (as some who try microwaving tea cups eventually find out). However, the concentration of metal in your bowl was obviously rather small to begin with, especially since the metal has since worn off, therefore, if one is a purist, one couldn't even really consider it a metal object to begin with, and even whilst being liberal with the definition, since the edges have worn off, it's not even truly metal-plated any longer. This would be like considering gold-plated jewelry gold--no matter how much it wants to try to match the real thing, it's still icky and cheap, as the gold wears off.

As a response to your expansion upon spiritual principles--that's still not science, therefore, not scientific. It belongs in spirituality, or philosophy at best. It is not academic. Prove that "psychic powers" or "siddhis" exist. That's the very problem I have with it--their defence on their existence are people who claim to be masters/whatever else, and the only evidence we have to account for whatever it is they claim is just their testimony. That's it. It is not universally applicable, observable, etc. Nothing of what you've told me is even remotely new--as I said, I've read more on the subject than one would think. I used to buy that stuff when I was in middle school, failing to realize that it was all built upon subjective, irrational, personal testimonies, and not facts which could be replicated by anyone. Scientists have actually attempted to tests psychics, etc. to figure out their "abilities" and not one of them has proved to be even remotely capable of predicting or "seeing" things, as they claim they do. There is a really fascinating YouTube video with Richard Dawkins debunking all that new agey stuff.

It's a very interesting video.

"Science and rationality are often accused of being a cold, bleak outlook." How true. I've already been called cold once in this thread alone, simply for explaining how human sexuality and attachment work without the use of poetic terms like "love."

Here's another, more new-age/psychic specific:

and another pair:

Man, this one even talks about the akashic records. It's a part 1 of 5, so you may want to follow it from YouTube. Posting them all here would add more length to my novel.

There are more interesting videos Dawkins has done. I won't post them all here since they're long as all Hell, perhaps I'll make a thread about them...

What makes these people "ascended masters," though? Sure, they claim that "anyone" can do it, but the title themselves imply elitism, can you not see that? That's digressing, however... the real question is: what makes these people "ascended masters", or whatever else? What, aside from sensing "rockness" and other equally descriptive intangible, invisible things, make these people qualified to tell anyone anything? What are the "great truths" they propagate, and how do we ensure they're true--the only way to embrace such things is through faith, not reason. Through feeling, not thinking. Through believing, not understanding.

I never said anyone was bound to only wear one hat, however, certain things clearly do not belong together. One can't be a man of reason and a man of faith--not without some serious compartmentalization and convenient application to protect one from the other--which would be erroneous due to the merit of the allegiance. How would we justify holding certain things to standards of reason, and holding others to standards of faith? Why should we scrutinize some things whilst accepting others despite no objective proof of their existence? People are highly complex beings, so I am not saying it would be impossible to find someone who is, indeed, like that. However--such a person cannot call himself a man of reason if he is selective with what to apply reason to--that in itself would be betraying the very principles of reason and logic--to prove things are so, not to believe they are.

Last edited:
wow I have no business being in this thread..way over my head, :hi: guys...:D :hug: to everyone in here...:D

And yet so manyothers have expressed time and again in this thread that they believed homosexuality to be ok even saying (as you did also) that they cannot understand why someone would have a problem with it, and all of this talk was ok with you because it spoke highly of homosexuality. Then you have the gaul to say this thread is not about a person's opinion of homosexuality???

Whatever man. If this thread was not about that, I would have to erase half the thread for being off topic. Very clearly, one's view of homosexuality has been very prominent in this thread. I was simply stating that I know my opinion would unnecessarily disturb the thread and so I would refrain from emphasizing it here.

It's great that you have an opinion about it, but as I stated the topic went off in to some deep convo about science and what Severus believes to be the only possible belief and therefore that's what my response was in response to. Your line about homosexuality at that point was sort of out of left field even though the thread is about sexuality. It makes sense in the scheme of things but just not at that point. I meant no offense. However. I'm sure I could have worded it better.

Last edited:
When this thread is going to end?
Probably never... :sigh:

It's great that you have an opinion about it, but as I stated the topic went off in to some deep convo about science and what Severus believes to be the only possible belief and therefore that's what my response was in response to.

Correction--it is not what I believe. It is what science has shown--and through everything, science has proven itself to be the most reliable method of understanding the world. Scientists aren't infallible--I never claimed that, however, the field of science has way more going for it than any other, that's for sure--and it is because of science, not religion or emotional/irrational belief-based concepts, that we are able to live as long as we presently do and prosper the way we do.

Belief is something one holds on to despite no real evidence, this is the very basis of faith. The scientific, on the other hand, has at least some evidence in regards to theories, and hypotheses are made from observations, not from thin air.

In any case, the original topic was on sexuality and sexual orientation, which then drifted on to asexuality (still fair enough and on topic), and it remained this way until someone picked on my statement about "love", which really was more of an aside than a direct response to the previous topic (I said it in response to someone who identified as asexual saying some didn't "believe" in asexuality, and I said scientific research supports its existence [although it is rare], so it was not a far-fetched irrational concept (I gave "love" as an example to stay somewhat on topic, since sexuality is often intertwined with romantic notions best placed in 19th century literature), but rather a concrete (and certainly complex) reality.

So, that's how we got here. I'm not sure exactly when it got religious/spiritual, but the new age/alternative spirituality stuff came from Pace, and the Christian stuff must have been a mix between my using it as an example of how some fundamentalists choose to still believe in things despite evidence to the contrary, and GinVid's stance on it.

MJHDvideos said:
When this thread is going to end?
Probably never... :sigh:

Why does that matter? It's only healthy debate. The thread isn't undesirable just because we disagree with each other on certain things. If anything, debates (preferably when based on reason/logic, as then both sides would offer interesting arguments and subsequent evidence, such as those in a historical debate) should be encouraged, not looked at as some sort of nuisance.

With that said, despite the amusement this has brought forth, I would like to see the thread return to its original topic. Human sexuality is far more interesting than debates against belief-based things, simply because it would be based on evidence-backed argument, and not reason vs. belief. The latter debates seem to be never-ending (see: Richard Dawkins vs. Pretty Much Any Believer You Could Think Of), and often stale into mere bickering, due to the personal nature of beliefs--people are bound to get defensive when their faith-based allegiances are put into question for reasons I've already explained, and the very nature of belief makes it resistant to whatever anyone else has to say to dispute it. It is faith in the truth of something despite no proof, against all opposition, even if factual, etc.

I propose we discuss other expressions of human sexuality, however--not just the socially acceptable or "mainstream" ones. There are many facets of this very complex biological drive. We don't have to go into detail, as I am unsure as to whether or not this would be against forum rules simply because of the nature of the topic, but fascinating it most certainly is.

It doesn't even have to be anything offensively deviant (i.e. not Marquis de Sade stuff, lol). Sexual attraction to objects is in and of itself a very interesting phenomenon. What causes an object--a non-living thing--to become erotic in the eyes of someone? Clearly, the object itself is not courting the person, as objects are not alive (despite what Satish Kumar may say about "rockness"). Here is a documentary by Current TV which expands upon the topic:

Even not going into that at all--we could discuss what makes human beings sexually attractive--which traits seem to be the most preferable, and why. How much of that has to do with biological reasons (i.e. avoiding blemished people because clear skin is a sign of health, avoiding sexual attraction towards the elderly or the very young because neither would be convenient partners in the quest for reproduction), and how much has to do with social conditioning (i.e. in some cultures, like the Arab moors of Mauritania, women who are quite fat are considered beautiful, whereas in the West, as evidence shows, women who are ultra-thin are considered beautiful). Here is an interesting link on that: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/3429903.stm

Similarly, why is physical beauty, on average, more important to men than to women? Why is wealth, status, and "security" more important to women than to men when it comes to attraction and potential mates? I watched a documentary once where all these questions were answered--it was a very interesting piece. I will see about finding its name, as I saw it practically ages ago, so it is no longer at the front end of my memory.

Look, I can tell by your walls of text that you're not going to give in any time soon and that's fine. All I wanted to express and try to get across is that there can be a happy marriage between science and belief. They are not as mutually exclusive as you seem to think.

^Not without distorting either. Both can exist within one person, if that person is selective in his application, but then he would cease to be completely a man of reason, since he would be discriminating between what to scrutinize with reason, and what to exempt from scientific reasoning and explain with sheer belief.

You seem to be sticking up for positive beliefs, such as the belief in romantic love, some religions, etc. but what of negative beliefs, such as the belief (by some, and despite all evidence) that one gender is superior to the other, one race is superior to all others, that homosexuality is a choice, etc? Would you support a "marriage" between science and belief then? Would it make sense for a rational, scientific man who knows of the evidence to the contrary to believe that one race is better than the other, or to believe that homosexuality is a sin/choice/etc? No, it wouldn't. Similarly, it would make an equal amount of sense for him to believe in a positive yet improbable belief, because the scientific evidence against its existence would be about the same as the former example, and the probability of the beliefs' truth pretty close to nil.

Without science to debunk them and expose them for the ridiculous notions they are, (meaning, if we existed purely in a belief-based world), even the most offensive beliefs would be entirely permissible. If you're going to defend beliefs, well, you've got to defend all of them, even the stupid ones, not just the ones people seem to like. Similarly, if beliefs are by their very nature irrational (bonus if evidence exists to debunk them completely), this definition has to apply to all of them, not just the ones people dislike.

Last edited:
STOP portraying anyone who leaves room for the unknown or unexplained as some bubbling fool devoid of thought. Do you not realize how unreasonable and insulting that is?

STOP portraying anyone who leaves room for the unknown or unexplained as some bubbling fool devoid of thought. Do you not realize how unreasonable and insulting that is?

If that's what you think I'm doing, then you've seriously misunderstood my statements. You should leave room for the unknown or unexplained--however, this is exactly what believers do NOT do. Their beliefs are meant to explain things which are unknown/yet to be explained, such as what happens after death. They claim to KNOW, despite holding no evidence to back their claims, and that is unreasonable. Scientists, on the other hand, admit there is no answer yet, but examine these beliefs and hold them improbable based on what we know of the world and its mechanisms.

Some things are presently a mystery, this is true--however, how is trying to explain them with fallacies and fancy leaving room for things which are unexplained? Do you realize your statement is a direct contradiction to what you are asking of me?

Like I said before, no explanation is infinitely better than a lousy explanation based on nothing but sheer belief. It is a million times better to admit, "nobody knows", than to say, for example, that when someone dies they go to this place in the clouds to sip tea with sky deities. I, for one, have no stance on things which are mysteries--but that is the reasonable thing, when in doubt, say so. Don't conjure some flimsy and far-fetched explanation. Just admit it is a mystery and either attempt to resolve it with observable and concrete things, or else let it go as a mystery for now and move on with your life.

By the way, I never said people who believe things are bubbling fools devoid of thoughts. This is simply not true--an example of an otherwise intelligent human being giving in to his own beliefs despite all evidence to the contrary is geologist Kurt Wise, who got his degree from Harvard University. Despite his knowledge, he still believes in the notion of a "young Earth," as most creationists do:

"...if all the evidence in the universe turns against creationism, I would be the first to admit it, but I would still be a creationist because that is what the Word of God seems to indicate." ~Kurt Wise

Belief is something which appeals to our emotions and desires--which are perceptive, irrational, and oftentimes erroneous. As Aleksandr Pushkin, the great 19th century Russian writer, put it:

"The illusion which exalts us is dearer to us than ten thousand truths." ~Aleksandr Pushkin.

Last edited:
If that's what you think I'm doing, then you've seriously misunderstood my statements. You should leave room for the unknown or unexplained--however, this is exactly what believers do NOT do. Their beliefs are meant to explain things which are unknown/yet to be explained, such as what happens after death. They claim to KNOW, despite holding no evidence to back their claims, and that is unreasonable. Scientists, on the other hand, admit there is no answer yet, but examine these beliefs and hold them improbable based on what we know of the world and its mechanisms.

Some things are presently a mystery, this is true--however, how is trying to explain them with fallacies and fancy leaving room for things which are unexplained? Do you realize your statement is a direct contradiction to what you are asking of me?

Like I said before, no explanation is infinitely better than a lousy explanation based on nothing but sheer belief. It is a million times better to admit, "nobody knows", than to say, for example, that when someone dies they go to this place in the clouds to sip tea with sky deities. I, for one, have no stance on things which are mysteries--but that is the reasonable thing, when in doubt, say so. Don't conjure some flimsy and far-fetched explanation. Just admit it is a mystery and either attempt to resolve it with observable and concrete things, or else let it go as a mystery for now and move on with your life.

By the way, I never said people who believe things are bubbling fools devoid of thoughts. This is simply not true--an example of an otherwise intelligent human being giving in to his own beliefs despite all evidence to the contrary is geologist Kurt Wise, who got his degree from Harvard University. Despite his knowledge, he still believes in the notion of a "young Earth," as most creationists do:

"...if all the evidence in the universe turns against creationism, I would be the first to admit it, but I would still be a creationist because that is what the Word of God seems to indicate." ~Kurt Wise

Belief is something which appeals to our emotions and desires--which are perceptive, irrational, and oftentimes erroneous. As Aleksandr Pushkin, the great 19th century Russian writer, put it:

"The illusion which exalts us is dearer to us than ten thousand truths." ~Aleksandr Pushkin.

You're impossible and very close-minded. You try so hard to shut others down with your narrow minded views, but the only one you're short changing is yourself. You can preach all you want that love doesn't exist, but to those of us who have felt it, we know different and none of your scientific mumbo-jumbo can prove otherwise. Life isn't as black and white as you'd like to paint it and thank goodness for that.

scientific mumbo-jumbo. LMAO. Narrow-minded? Funny. I could say the same about you.

You could but it obviously applies more so to yourself. I'm not trying to be rude but have you read your own walls of text? You're completely unwilling to let anyone have an opinion outside of your own. Say what you will, but your novels tell otherwise.

^My "novels", as you call them, are things backed with scientific evidence, or else they consist of me saying there are things which are unknown and should be treated as such--not explained away with pseudo-explanations which hold no substance to the world at large. Criticizing me, unfortunately, will not grant any flimsy explanation any more substance than it already holds (for most, that's none).

I don't know how much more open-minded one can get than to say some things are unknown--so, they are. I am the first to admit that science does not as of yet have all the answers, and there are things which remain largely a mystery. However, saying something is a mystery is much different than giving it a lousy explanation--if anything, that's entirely closed-minded, to seek to explain the world using subjective things based on no evidence at all, rather than to admit some things are still a mystery and try to solve them with observable proof, or else leave them as they presently are. If you think that's being closed-minded, then you must not really know what the definition is. The funny/ironic thing is that the majority of closed-minded people are believers--in fact, this is often one of the traits of belief systems--their believers often believe their set of beliefs is "the one true way" (see: majority of world religions), and all others are either condescendingly tolerated, or else held in a hostile view, regardless of the fact that neither they nor their counterparts have any real evidence to back their views. (Science can hold the privilege of doing this without any irony involved because its theories/hypotheses are at least based on some observable proof).

You actually hold the most down-to-Earth belief out of anyone I've talked to in this thread. Although no such thing exists scientifically, one could argue that the concept of love has gained a life of its own through cultural/societal influence, so in that regard, one could say it "exists" through mankind's invention of it (similar to morality and other man-made constructs). However, in the natural, physical, chemical world--it's nothing more than the quest for reproduction and the survival of the species.

^My "novels", as you call them, are things backed with scientific evidence, or else they consist of me saying there are things which are unknown and should be treated as such--not explained away with pseudo-explanations which hold no substance to the world at large. Criticizing me, unfortunately, will not grant any flimsy explanation any more substance than it already holds (for most, that's none).

I don't know how much more open-minded one can get than to say some things are unknown--so, they are. I am the first to admit that science does not as of yet have all the answers, and there are things which remain largely a mystery. However, saying something is a mystery is much different than giving it a lousy explanation--if anything, that's entirely closed-minded, to seek to explain the world using subjective things based on no evidence at all, rather than to admit some things are still a mystery and try to solve them with observable proof, or else leave them as they presently are. If you think that's being closed-minded, then you must not really know what the definition is. The funny/ironic thing is that the majority of closed-minded people are believers--in fact, this is often one of the traits of belief systems--their believers often believe their set of beliefs is "the one true way" (see: majority of world religions), and all others are either condescendingly tolerated, or else held in a hostile view, regardless of the fact that neither they nor their counterparts have any real evidence to back their views. (Science can hold the privilege of doing this without any irony involved because its theories/hypotheses are at least based on some observable proof).

You actually hold the most down-to-Earth belief out of anyone I've talked to in this thread. Although no such thing exists scientifically, one could argue that the concept of love has gained a life of its own through cultural/societal influence, so in that regard, one could say it "exists" through mankind's invention of it (similar to morality and other man-made constructs). However, in the natural, physical, chemical world--it's nothing more than the quest for reproduction and the survival of the species.

It ain't that deep, you're a brick wall, and I'm exhausted. :bored:

I assure you I am nothing of the sort, however, you're free to think as you will. I actually gave you fuel for your own argument, which I see you've completely failed to expand upon. Why did I do this? To prove I can argue for both sides, of course. Rhetoric is almost as important as evidence--one can be manipulated to produce the desired results, the other not so much, but either way, it's fun.

If you recall rightly, I started bringing the thread back to its fundamental topic by talking about objectum sexuality and providing an accompanying documentary. Anyone have any thoughts on it, or on anything else pertaining to human sexuality?

I, for one, would like to talk about more paraphilias. Perhaps talk a bit about schediaphilia? (sexual attraction to cartoon or anime characters). I wonder if there is a term for being attracted to fictional characters from literature? Now that's an interesting question. I wonder which one I'd fancy... :p

Last edited:
kindofdisco;3435952 said:
^ But those feelings come exactly from conditioning by society. You're brought up to find only one sex attractive, through images you see on everything from tv and movies to billboards and school text books. If we were all taught from a young age that its perfectly normal to find someone of either gender attractive, I firmly believe that things would be a lot different. Society and media has a big impact on us as children.

Yes but of course unless the parents have a very open mind they wouldn´t learn their child to appreciate the same sex...though at the end a child can grow and realize later that prefer the same sex, even educated to appreciate the opposite sex.
Sexuality is very complex and it´s like discussing angel´s sex.
The fact alone that it takes a man and a woman to concept a child created the idea that there´s something abnormal in gay people, but we cannot forget that some times a couple cannot desire a child and a gay man or woman can desire.
Some years ago I remember to read a story about a mother which whose sons are gay. She was desperate, and I was outraged because she said that they were the best children in the world until she have discovered they "weren´t normal..."
So before she learned they were gay they were the best for her?!
And then there's that stigma that if a man or woman are beautiful but gay, it´s a "waste". Few months ago when Ricky Martin appeared on TV my sister commented that he was a so stunning man and he was gay, like it was something outrageous. She isn´t the only I´ve heard about it, though.

^I do like Ricky Martin. I mean, he's by no means a favourite of mine, but I confess to liking a single or two. :p

@LadyinhisLife80: I agree with you. People who say gays are somehow a "waste" are completely judgmental. Would they say the same of, say, a beautiful but infertile man or woman, or heterosexual couples who choose not to have children? I think not. However, by their terms, they'd be a "waste" too. You're right in saying that the biological reproduction plays a hand in why some people think homosexuality is somehow abnormal, but as I've said in previous posts on this very thread, homosexuality (and even lack of desire for sex) can be observed in the animal kingdom, therefore, going by biology and what is exhibited in the natural world, neither is "abnormal."

Religion and culture, however, are the main enforcers of the status quo (which is why most revolutionaries resent the church and those who uphold the current state of affairs). Religious figures (the big guys) and cultural norms are the ones responsible for people's homophobia, not biology. It is these people who try and use biology (while forgetting several things) to try and support their very flawed outlook.

Yes but gay people can produce children too and not necessarily just by artificial insemination, like many people still believe.
Some people just want to have a reason for not agreeing with gay people and use arguments like "the extinction of mankind" and and conveniently forget the straight people who chose not having kids (nothing against that). And if you confront them with this,they simply answer that "at least they´re man and woman". *sigh*

^What you describe sounds like someone with irrational reasons to hate homosexuals/lesbians trying (and failing) to pepper their argument with a hint of (clearly faux) reason.

^What you describe sounds like someone with irrational reasons to hate homosexuals/lesbians trying (and failing) to pepper their argument with a hint of (clearly faux) reason.

I agree it's a pretty poor come back for "defending" yourself against Gay People.

I myself am an out and proud Gay Male, I am a Classical Pianist and have a very high IQ but thankfully in my country homophobia isn't as much an issue here as it is in other parts of the World so I can live quite comofrtably here.

Back