sexuality

^That is correct--since science cannot prove the existence of souls, they are illusory concepts as far as I'm concerned, but I respect your right to view the world as you will. I'm not embarking on a quest to convert you--I'm merely voicing my own view regarding the subject at hand.

^That is correct--since science cannot prove the existence of souls, they are illusory concepts as far as I'm concerned, but I respect your right to view the world as you will. I'm not embarking on a quest to convert you--I'm merely voicing my own view regarding the subject at hand.

Thank you. However, I don't think it would hurt to open yourself to the possibility that not everything in life has an explanation or needs one.

^ I agree! I think science is wonderful and gives us a great understanding of how the world works, but to me love is something far stronger than just an "illusion". Love can make you get up out of bed every day, can change your whole mood at the drop of a hat, can shape how your life may turn out. Love makes you feel safe, secure. I suppose in a way that's an illusion, but bloody hell, it must be a pretty damn good one! I'll take illusions over cold, unfeeling facts any day of the week.

Severus Snape is right and I wish people would not feel scientific facts "offensive". I don't think it somehow devaluates my relationships or the love I feel towards people to know the basic biological, evolutionary background behind love. That doesn't make me "cold and calculating" in my personal relationships.

Severus Snape is right and I wish people would not feel scientific facts "offensive". I don't think it somehow devaluates my relationships or the love I feel towards people to know the basic biological, evolutionary background behind love. That doesn't make me "cold and calculating" in my personal relationships.

It's not that we find it offensive, I'm just not a great believer in the supposed fact that everything can be determined with some sort of scientific formula. I love magic, I love love and I think those things are better left unexplained. I don't want to be told that it's all apparently an illusion. How boring is that! Life would be not worth living if everything came down to science. Let people have their imaginations and their so-called "illusions".

It's not that we find it offensive, I'm just not a great believer in the supposed fact that everything can be determined with some sort of scientific formula. I love magic, I love love and I think those things are better left unexplained. I don't want to be told that it's all apparently an illusion. How boring is that! Life would be not worth living if everything came down to science. Let people have their imaginations and their so-called "illusions".

Some people don't like to hear about the depths of things and explanations on how things work. That's OK but I'm not one of them.

Actually science is a lot more exciting and interesting than illusion and delusion. For example there is quantum physics. I can't think of any illusionary tale that is more interesting than what is happening on the level of quantums in reality! Or how we evolved over billions of years. That is the true "magic" of life to me. Reality is more mind-boggling than any illusion.

Some people don't like to hear about the depths of things and explanations on how things work. That's OK but I'm not one of them.

Actually science is a lot more exciting and interesting than illusion and delusion. For example there is quantum physics. I can't think of any illusionary tale that is more interesting than what is happening on the level of quantums in reality! Or how we evolved over billions of years. That is the true "magic" of life to me. Reality is more mind-boggling than any illusion.

Why thank you for making me feel like an idiot because I apparently don't like to hear about the "depth" of things. To me, science has nothing to do with "depth"; I find human emotions, how we react to things and how we go through life FAR more interesting than a bunch of formulas to explain away the universe. Call me old fashioned, but to me science will never be able to explain something so beautiful as love, or the expansive knowledge of a child or the magic of a sunset. Those things are intangible, they exist purely on emotion. Sure, there's a scientific reason behind a sunset. But that takes all the joy and the magic out of it for me.

Reality is not just science. Love is real. Love is a reality. And sometimes it's good to focus on that instead of - as I said - cold, calculating science and all that. Open up your heart. Look at the beauty of the world around you. Just FEEL it instead of trying to explain it. That's the true magic of life to me.

Why thank you for making me feel like an idiot because I apparently don't like to hear about the "depth" of things.

It was you who said you are not interested in the explanations behind things.

Actually earlier in this thread you said: "I for one like my superficiality. It makes me terribly interesting."

If you like your superficiality that's totally fine with me, but I like to explore things and I like to know what's behind things.

And I never called you an idiot.

To me, science has nothing to do with "depth"; I find human emotions, how we react to things and how we go through life FAR more interesting than a bunch of formulas to explain away the universe. Call me old fashioned, but to me science will never be able to explain something so beautiful as love, or the expansive knowledge of a child or the magic of a sunset. Those things are intangible, they exist purely on emotion. Sure, there's a scientific reason behind a sunset. But that takes all the joy and the magic out of it for me.

Reality is not just science. Love is real. Love is a reality. And sometimes it's good to focus on that instead of - as I said - cold, calculating science and all that. Open up your heart. Look at the beauty of the world around you. Just FEEL it instead of trying to explain it. That's the true magic of life to me.

Knowing what is behind a phenomenon or the human emotions making able to appreciate them or to love or anything "takes the joy and magic out of it"? Why? It certainly doesn't for me. I can enjoy a sunset, love, whatever even if I know what's behind those phenomenons. If anything, it rather adds to my wonderment.

I can assure you I can enjoy the beauty of the world around me and my heart is open enough to feel. To me the knowing what's behind a phenomenon and being able to enjoy it are not mutually exclusive, I don't know why they are for some people. If anything, science reveals even more wonders of this world than what you would know of without it.

Do you enjoy the pictures coming from Hubble? I certainly do. Well, we would never have those pictures if people had thought they don't need to explore things, "just accept the beauty and the feelings and don't try to understand to know what's behind those phenomenons because it takes away the magic". Then we would still believe the Earth is flat and would miss out on a lot more wonderful and interesting world!

*shrugs*

Agree to disagree, I suppose. I like the world it is, I have no desire to know the mechanics or the science behind it. I like living each moment with feelings and emotions, just knowing that I exist within that moment and nothing else needs to matter.

Also, honey. Sarcasm. I use it liberally, haha! In re: the "superficiality" quote. I'd be pretty scared if someone said what I had typed and meant every word of it. Wouldn't you?

Also, honey. Sarcasm. I use it liberally, haha! In re: the "superficiality" quote. I'd be pretty scared if someone said what I had typed and meant every word of it. Wouldn't you?

I certainly would, but it's that person's loss who likes to be superficial so I don't care what somebody chooses for himself. I'm glad you only meant it sarcastically for yourself though.

I certainly would, but it's that person's loss who likes to be superficial so I don't care what somebody chooses for himself. I'm glad you only meant it sarcastically for yourself though.

.....the fact that you didn't realise that I was kidding almost disturbs me, haha! But then again, I was paraphrasing the great Oscar Wilde in that original post. And sometimes superficiality is a great joy. Life doesn't have to be deep all the time.

Why thank you for making me feel like an idiot because I apparently don't like to hear about the "depth" of things. To me, science has nothing to do with "depth"; I find human emotions, how we react to things and how we go through life FAR more interesting than a bunch of formulas to explain away the universe. Call me old fashioned, but to me science will never be able to explain something so beautiful as love, or the expansive knowledge of a child or the magic of a sunset. Those things are intangible, they exist purely on emotion. Sure, there's a scientific reason behind a sunset. But that takes all the joy and the magic out of it for me.

Beautiful post and it doesn't get any more real than this.

On to the subject...

It's sort of ironic that people with this opinion reside at a Michael Jackson fan forum - a man who lived on myth and magic. He lived for the simple joys in life and the magic that resides within him had no explanation - no rhyme or reason. A child's laughter lifted his spirits and made him feel at peace and it doesn't need to be explained away in order to diminish it's relevance. Some things in life have no explanation nor do they need one. A little bit of magic is a good thing. I am in no way saying that we shouldn't rely on science or investigate the world in which we live in but to say things like love isn't real is just a tad disturbing and a very jaded point of view. It really does make me feel sad for anyone who really believes that. Science also suggests we evolved from apes, but that is something else I do not believe. Why, if we had... then why are there still so many species of apes? Why haven't they evolved to other types of humanoids? The point is that science really can't explain everything and that's something that a person should learn to accept in order to enjoy life to it's fullest.

Last edited:
I won't even begin to explain what I think about homosexuality and the sort as I have no desire to cause an unnecessary ruckus.

However, Travis, I just wanted to correct you on something. Evolution does not teach that humans evolved from apes. This is a common misconception. Rather, they teach that apes and humans have a common ancestor. An ancestor which does not exist anymore.

As for science vs emotion, I think being to absorbed in either one is dangerous. Knowing enough about science and how things work so that you are not fooled by superstition or other people's idiosynchrasies is important. Being able to identify with emotions enough to be able to express yourself and experience the small wonders of life is also very important. Everything is not biological, nor is everything emotional. Being able to balance reason and facts and things which are fixed with love, laughter, and just the enjoyment of the physical world is a life that experiences it all. You dont have to know the scientific reason for a flower to recognize its beauty. Howver, knowing the biology behind it and knowing how that biology results in something so unexpectedly beautiful can help you to appreciate it more.

We humans are so contradictory. We live from one extreme to the other. And, there are so many people with varying degrees in between.

When people were scientifically unaware, did that mean that they lacked in their quality of life? Can you tell a Native American that because they focused on the harmony of nature and maybe did not have an accurate scientific description for it that they missed out on life? Can you tell a person who (though it is rare) found that lasting and very real love that that love does not exist? Can you tell a person whose heart stops beating when their love arrives in the room, or whose breath becomes shallow when their love touches them that in actuality that love does not exist? Or that it scientifically does not exist? Or when you feel like your world is over and you're too sick to move and your mother holds you and sings to you and your heart jumps and you feel like her arms takes away all pain; and, you feel like a better person just because your loved one is there that that is not real when your love gives your life purpose and meaning? Science can't explain that feeling. Science can't explain purpose. Science cannot explain love. Yet people are willing to go against what is scientific and take their own life for it. They kill others for it. They sacrifice their own survival for it and give up everything they have. They take from one another. It is such a strong feeling that it can be the basis for altering any reality we live in. It is real. It would be a shame if a person couldn't enjoy that experience because they were too busy focusing on the biology (or lack of) behind it.

JMHO.

I won't even begin to explain what I think about homosexuality and the sort as I have no desire to cause an unnecessary ruckus.

However, Travis, I just wanted to correct you on something. Evolution does not teach that humans evolved from apes. This is a common misconception. Rather, they teach that apes and humans have a common ancestor. An ancestor which does not exist anymore.

As for science vs emotion, I think being to absorbed in either one is dangerous. Knowing enough about science and how things work so that you are not fooled by superstition or other people's idiosynchrasies is important. Being able to identify with emotions enough to be able to express yourself and experience the small wonders of life is also very important. Everything is not biological, nor is everything emotional. Being able to balance reason and facts and things which are fixed with love, laughter, and just the enjoyment of the physical world is a life that experiences it all. You dont have to know the scientific reason for a flower to recognize its beauty. Howver, knowing the biology behind it and knowing how that biology results in something so unexpectedly beautiful can help you to appreciate it more.

We humans are so contradictory. We live from one extreme to the other. And, there are so many people with varying degrees in between.

When people were scientifically unaware, did that mean that they lacked in their quality of life? Can you tell a Native American that because they focused on the harmony of nature and maybe did not have an accurate scientific description for it that they missed out on life? Can you tell a person who (though it is rare) found that lasting and very real love that that love does not exist? Can you tell a person whose heart stops beating when their love arrives in the room, or whose breath becomes shallow when their love touches them that in actuality that love does not exist? Or that it scientifically does not exist? Or when you feel like your world is over and you're too sick to move and your mother holds you and sings to you and your heart jumps and you feel like her arms takes away all pain; and, you feel like a better person just because your loved one is there that that is not real when your love gives your life purpose and meaning? Science can't explain that feeling. Science can't explain purpose. Science cannot explain love. Yet people are willing to go against what is scientific and take their own life for it. They kill others for it. They sacrifice their own survival for it and give up everything they have. They take from one another. It is such a strong feeling that it can be the basis for altering any reality we live in. It is real. It would be a shame if a person couldn't enjoy that experience because they were too busy focusing on the biology (or lack of) behind it.

JMHO.

I wasn't aware that anyone asked you for your opinion of homosexuality? This isn't a debate about ones own personal morale. I thought this topic had delved in to whether or not love is real or just an "illusion"? I only mentioned human evolution theory as something that is scientific but not based in absolute fact (hence the word "theory"). Much of science is a guessing game, just the same as the big bang theory. No one knows for certain how we got here or if there's a purpose and while there is nothing wrong with trying to uncover clues, a little uncertainty in life can be quite alright. That's all I'm saying. We don't need a rhyme and reason to everything that we feel in our hearts.

Last edited:
^The original topic was sexuality, so ginvid wasn't straying from the topic. The topic further evolved into the lack of sexual desires (asexuality), and I commented that someone would be mad to believe it didn't exist as it has been scientifically proven, as it wasn't a wishy-washy concept like "love."

As for people killing, etc. for what they believe is "love," I think this is more a problem with the chemistry in their brain (read=mental illness, as this is seriously deviant behaviour) than proof that such a thing, as we fancy it to be, exists. Like I said previously, the basic drive to reproduce and the need to raise young to their maturity stage account for the need to form longer human attachments, but these are not the "love" people speak of, as no such thing, for its own sake, exists.

To reply to Travis' statement about scientific people being Michael Jackson fans, well--perhaps we're fans of his music or dance. We don't necessarily have to endorse with the way he chose to view life, nor would he want us to, I don't think.

As for your comment regarding people who lived their lives before science uncovered the answers--I never claimed that science would lead to a happy, fulfilling life. If anything, the converse seems to hold true. However--making something illusory work for your own personal circumstances is very different from understanding how things work and accepting the physical reality of the world--a reality where what we regard as "love" is really nothing more than a mix of chemicals in your brain.

^The original topic was sexuality, so ginvid wasn't straying from the topic.

How silly of me. We have all strayed so far it seems that I totally forgot the name of the thread. As for the rest of what you said, we'll have to let bygones be bygones. Magic, mystery, miracles, and wonder will always be a part of my life and I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

I wouldn't say we've strayed. Sexuality and the incentive for reproduction is directly related to what people perceive as "romantic love," so the discussion is still technically on topic--we've just gone into further detail with it.

I say a bygone should be a bygone. Let's make peace the way we did in Stanleyville and Saigon. ;)

I love how we can talk about things stemming from the original topic! Although I've disagreed with some of the posts in here, I've found everything really informative and interesting to read. Keep up the great discussion, guys!

It really does make me feel sad for anyone who really believes that. Science also suggests we evolved from apes, but that is something else I do not believe. Why, if we had... then why are there still so many species of apes? Why haven't they evolved to other types of humanoids?

Ginvid already addressed the common misconception about evolution that "we evolved from apes". That's not what evolution teaches. We ARE apes according to evolution and we had a common ancessor with other apes. Also there were other types of humanoids, such as the Neanderthal which was probably chased to extintion by the Homo sapiens.

(Sorry for going off topic.)

Jackson_popcorn.gif

"Science" overthrows itself every couple of 50 years- heck, even gravity isn't the same deal everywhere, so you can't even make such a basic as gravity a universal idea.

Were atoms, neutrons etc not existent just because science hasn't proven them at that point in time?
Science, religion and spirituality are so closely related in its themes that most people, on all sides of the fence, would rather forget that.
There was a reason science was a church domain, they are not naturally exclusive enemies.

Heck, even gaseous states were hard to prove- yet even they are still part of the physical.

And just because the soul is unseen to some, doesn't mean it's unseen to all. Physical eyes are not the end to all there is. And neither is the soul the 'end point' either.

Science is a construct as well, change the basis of the rules and your entire construction falls apart. Universal laws and rules make sense, of course. Applied to a physical world. The next world has rules. The physical world isn't random, either. But seeking physical world answer to non-physical world questions is bound to be frustrating at best. Just allow for rules other then physical world rules. We're not all nuts.

“It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive.”
C. W. Leadbeater
as0.gif

Does love end with the death of someone? Even romantic love? I beg to differ. We're on a Michael Jackson board. Seems rather self explanatory. Even without the usual scientific explanations the love continues. How come?

Last edited:
^Believe as you will. Your outlook is not based on reason, therefore, nothing rational I say will change it. You say science is ever-changing? The world is ever-changing. However--science at the very least is open to the possibility of further innovation, whereas those who stick to their beliefs find every excuse in the book to invalidate all evidence to the contrary. Believers are the most stubborn individuals. Take for example, fundamentalist Christians who believe the Earth is 6,000 years old despite scientific proof to invalidate such a ridiculous notion. No matter how much proof you pile on them, they'll continue to believe as they will.

The convenient thing about personal belief is that it doesn't require the burden of proof to stand up in the mind of the believer. For example, all the talk about the afterlife and the non-physical world which conveniently does not have to adhere to the rules of science and therefore is exempt from requiring any objective evidence whatsoever to validate its claim--is that not ever-changing as well? Yet you do not appear to question it. While on the subject of non-scientific outlooks on the afterlife, how do we know which irrational belief to stand by? What makes, say, reincarnation, more or less plausible than the belief that we're all going to this hot place called Hell in a hand basket, with the exception of a select few? Non-scientific beliefs are also ever-changing, I daresay, even more so than scientific perceptions have. If, even among rationally-based scientific outlooks, things are constantly being modified and discovered, imagine how nutty things in the irrational world of sheer belief must be. It takes proof to change science's stance from one thing to the other. Among believers, however, all it takes to change a mind is just one more fancy about whatever else hasn't been concocted yet--without proof, it's all fair game, isn't it? There have been countless religions, cults, sects, etc. each claiming to hold the "real" answer--how do we know which one to believe? Of course, as soon as another comes, things have changed. Now, it's not only a choice between believing in the flying spaghetti monster and a Chuck E. Messiah--now, we've got a group who claim that it was really Captain Crunch who created the world in a drunken stupor, and what's more, they claim they've felt his presence... Does that not sound ridiculous to you? What I mean by setting this example is to show that you belittle science for constantly finding new things or amending previously discovered ones, but yet fail to realize that your non-scientific world changes with even more frequency--why, then, do irrationality and belief not get the belittling stance, when they are even more malleable than scientific processes?

Without the burden of proof to hold our statements up in a scientific setting, anyone can believe anything they will. I could believe Chuck E. Cheese is really God's son sent down to Earth to suffer for our sins, and it wouldn't be any less solid than all the other organized religions' beliefs.

So, because Science does not hold all the answers as of yet, we ought to instead find solace in a world of irrationality and subjectivity (some would argue delusion)? How is that an even slightly convincing point of view?

Science may not have all the explanations (yet), however, the explanations it has can be objectively proven, and is far more concrete than the flimsy fabric of sheer belief. Without science to explain the reality of the process, one person could believe "love" is a "soul connection" or whatever else, and another could take the opposite end and call it an evil temptation from Satan meant to distract mankind from adoring God (going medieval here). Neither has any objective proof to validate his own belief, or to debunk that of the other, so if we were to take this approach towards everything, we'd end up learning nothing at all about the world, and making it into some sort of fantasy place like small children at play.

As for being on a Michael Jackson board--is it possible maybe that some of us admire him as a creative genius? We don't have to adhere to his beliefs to enjoy his music, I hope.

Regarding your question about "love" ending with someone's death--among monogamous animals, it has been observed that the surviving ones tend to get over their "significant other's" death relatively quickly, and move on to mate with another such member. Since humans are social animals, they are biologically ingrained to form more sophisticated attachments, however, this does not equate to the wishy-washy concept of "love." We equate the person with good feelings and satisfaction--for example, Michael's music evokes positive feelings among his fans, therefore, it is the end of this stimulus that we are mourning, at its basest level. We are on this board to place ourselves in a place where the pleasant stimulus is ever-present, in an attempt to diminish the magnitude of its loss. Had we never had the music connection with him, we'd have no clue as to who he was, or if he died, and neither would anyone not directly connected to him. This belongs in the realm of attachment and in its indirect sense, the pleasure principle (we partake in the things which bring us pleasure, and avoid pain, for obvious biological reasons, as governed by the id), not "love." We've made the attachment in our heads (similar to how people can make even entire relationships between themselves and someone they've either admired from afar or have never even met). Since the attachment existed purely in the mind from its very beginning, it cannot be terminated by anyone outside ourselves. It is a one-sided attachment, but a powerful one, for reasons which vary from individual to individual, but it is the attachment itself or the fear/anxiety brought forth from its perceived/real loss that governs us to act thus. It has nothing to do with "love."

Last edited:
^Believe as you will. Your outlook is not based on reason, therefore, nothing rational I say will change it. You say science is ever-changing? The world is ever-changing. However--science at the very least is open to the possibility of further innovation, whereas those who stick to their beliefs find every excuse in the book to invalidate all evidence to the contrary. Believers are the most stubborn individuals. Take for example, fundamentalist Christians who believe the Earth is 6,000 years old despite scientific proof to invalidate such a ridiculous notion. No matter how much proof you pile on them, they'll continue to believe as they will.

The convenient thing about personal belief is that it doesn't require the burden of proof to stand up in the mind of the believer. For example, all the talk about the afterlife and the non-physical world which conveniently does not have to adhere to the rules of science and therefore is exempt from requiring any objective evidence whatsoever to validate its claim--is that not ever-changing as well? How do we know which irrational belief to stand by? What makes, say, reincarnation, more or less plausible than the belief that we're all going to this hot place called Hell in a hand basket, with the exception of a select few? Non-scientific beliefs are also ever-changing. If, even among rationally-based scientific outlooks, things are constantly being modified and discovered, imagine how nutty things in the irrational world of sheer belief must be.

Without the burden of proof to hold our statements up in a scientific setting, anyone can believe anything they will. I could believe Chuck E. Cheese is really God's son sent down to Earth to suffer for our sins, and it wouldn't be any less solid than all the other organized religions out there.

So, because Science does not hold all the answers as of yet, we ought to instead find solace in a world of irrationality and subjectivity (some would argue delusion)? How is that an even slightly convincing point of view?

Science may not have all the explanations yet, however, it does provide rational explanations which can be proven, and is far more concrete than the flimsy fabric of sheer belief. Without science to explain the reality of the process, one person could believe "love" is a "soul connection" or whatever else, and another could take the opposite end and call it an evil temptation from Satan meant to distract mankind from adoring God (going medieval here). Neither has any objective proof to validate his own belief, or to debunk that of the other, so if we were to take this approach towards everything, we'd end up learning nothing at all about the world, and making it into some sort of fantasy place like small children at play.

As for being on a Michael Jackson board--is it possible maybe that some of us admire him as a creative genius? We don't have to adhere to his beliefs to enjoy his music, I hope.

Regarding your question about "love" ending with someone's death--among monogamous animals, it has been observed that the surviving ones tend to get over their "significant other's" death relatively quickly, and move on to mate with another such member. Since humans are social animals, they are biologically ingrained to form more sophisticated attachments, however, this does not equate to the wishy-washy concept of "love." We equate the person with good feelings and satisfaction--for example, Michael's music evokes positive feelings among his fans, therefore, it is the end of this stimulus that we are mourning, at its basest level. We are on this board to place ourselves in a place where the pleasant stimulus is ever-present, in an attempt to diminish the magnitude of its loss. Had we never had the music connection with him, we'd have no clue as to who he was, or if he died, and neither would anyone not directly connected to him. This belongs in the realm of attachment and in its indirect sense, the pleasure principle (we partake in the things which bring us pleasure, and avoid pain, for obvious biological reasons, as governed by the id), not "love." We've made the attachment in our heads (similar to how people can make even entire relationships between themselves and someone they've either admired from afar or have never even met). Since the attachment existed purely in the mind from its very beginning, it cannot be terminated by anyone outside ourselves. It is a one-sided attachment, but a powerful one, for reasons which vary from individual to individual, but it is the attachment itself or the fear/anxiety brought forth from its perceived/real loss that governs us to act thus. It has nothing to do with "love."
It's not so much belief, as knowledge- and no, I am not talking about the biblical beliefs.

I am in no way irrational, just because I can see where science is following much of the same rational that they condemn in those who acknowledge science for it's applicability in physical world regards- but go a step further in their observations of a world beyond the pure physical. And yes, I said observations. That is why I quoted the thing about perception.

Is a composer or songwriter delusional because he hears the music that others didn't hear, bringing it into the physical world? Did the music not exist just because he was the only one who heard it? It's obviously an ability of perception.

I did not mention MJ's personal beliefs in one word here, I brought up 'love' that had been mentioned here, that is all I spoke to. I do not know MJs personal beliefs that he may have held in physical life, I did not bring them up, why the anger? I would never be able to adhere to any religious beliefs he stated in the past, meaning JW, nor was that implied anywhere. Love as non-physical reality was being mentioned here, that is what I referred to, that is what I mentioned.

There is nothing irrational in those who know of a world that extends beyond scientifically proven standards of today and no, I do not expect scientist to go along with that, but it is certainly in the realm of allowable to state these thoughts and ask these questions, since these were the topics debated.
You're paragraph relates much to yourself and your perception, but that perception does not have to apply to others, it could, but not necessarily so.
Science will talk much almost always about cause and effect, much as spirituality, philosophy and religion does as well- science is not the 'one way attachment' you make it out to be, there's obviously more at work than just the plain admiration of a musical genius and its public persona.

Science and 'non- scientists' are not enemies at all, they both follow natural rules. They might even be both at the same time. One can be a scientist and spiritual, that is nothing new and neither one is irrational.

Last edited:
^Like I said, believers will find any excuse in the book to adhere to their beliefs. You can't compare someone creating music to something like beliefs about the afterlife/a purely non-physical world. The entire comparison is ridiculous, and if ever an artist or musician believed his creations actually existed in another world, I'd advise them to seek professional help, as that sounds entirely delusional. There is a difference between the abstract idea or concept of something which is not physically manifested, and a belief in worlds where people come back from the dead, or sky deities sip tea alongside us. It is not one and the same--you cannot justify irrational beliefs by conjuring artistic processes. If these things were real, they would manifest on their own--there would be no human component to pen them down, and therefore, no brain activity would be required on behalf of the artist, as he would be naught but a vessel through which this "magic world" of music/art/etc. travels. To me, that sounds totally far-fetched, and I can say that from an artist's, and not a scientist's, perspective.

Here is an article which provides some interesting information on creativity and the brain: http://www.livestrong.com/article/81868-parts-brain-influence-creativity/

We also use the right side of our brains to lie--which requires imagination, therefore, are lies also perceptions from another world? How do we discriminate what is real and what isn't if our definition is based solely on subjective perception?

As an aside, why did I react to your bringing Michael up, you ask? This is the second time I've heard "this is a Michael Jackson fanboard" in response to my statements--as if that in and of itself had anything to do with the subject at hand or served as proof to validate something completely based on fancy. I'm not accusing you of attempting to do this, but to bring up something like that just smacks of blatant manipulation. I've already had someone tell me, "well, Michael believed in this and that..." as if I had to believe in what he believed to be his fan? I doubt he'd want that to occur, so why is it even relevant? One can be of scientific mind and still admire Michael's talent.

Would you care to enlighten us on these observations of the non-physical world? What would make your observations any more valid than those of someone diagnosed with schizophrenia? Isn't that a matter of perception as well? The paranoid schizophrenic perceives he is being watched/attacked/harassed, when nothing of the sort is occurring--does that make him "able to perceive something others can't?" Interestingly enough, that sort of delusion (believing they possess abilities others are "blind" to, like psychic powers, etc.) is part of the criteria for a schizophrenia diagnosis. For that matter, what of the "observations" of people who are high on hallucinogens? The people who, in their high state, mistake ordinary things for threatening objects? Did the object morph in another dimension, or is the drug user's perception/observation evidently flawed?

My paragraph appeals to objective logic and reason by appealing to scientific facts. In previous posts (and this one), I've provided links to further information found outside of my own utterances, so the core of the information I provide is not based on my subjective outlook, but rather on scientific findings (by others, therefore not subjective) anyone, theoretically, could reproduce. I don't claim to "know" things others don't, or observe things others can't see. By your own words, you've claimed just that--and failed to provide any evidence which would appeal to reason. One thing is to be unsure as to what happens (for example, after death), to have no stance until further research has been conducted (this is where I stand), and another is to claim to "know" something and providing no proof whatsoever which holds objectively.

We each perceive reality and the world in a slightly different manner (providing there is no mental illness/drug use present). However, despite our individual/subjective outlook of the world, a lot of things remain objective truths, such as gravity existing on Earth. Whether you're here or in Indonesia black, white, man, woman, old, young, whatever else--gravity remains a constant force on Earth. This is objective. Objective facts are things which can be reproduced by others--for example, the fact that metal causes sparks in a microwave. No matter who places the metal, or at what time of day or night, the events will be the same.

Science does not claim that only certain people can place the metal in the microwave for sparks to be produced. Your spirituality, on the other hand, claims that only "special" people (special by default of your definition, since they deviate from the currently accepted human perception) can perceive these things which exist in the non-physical world, and if someone fails to find them, that person is not "in the know." It is perfectly permissible to ask questions--however, claiming to know something without providing anything of substance to validate this supposed knowledge/insight is ludicrous at best.

With that said, believe what you will, as I stated previously. I'm not forcing anyone to adopt a rational or scientific outlook--last time I checked, we still sort of adhere by things such as freedom of expression, so you're allowed to speak your piece as much as I am.

^Like I said, believers will find any excuse in the book to adhere to their beliefs. You can't compare someone creating music to something like beliefs about the afterlife/a purely non-physical world. The entire comparison is ridiculous, and if ever an artist or musician believed his creations actually existed in another world, I'd advise them to seek professional help, as that sounds entirely delusional. There is a difference between the abstract idea or concept of something which is not physically manifested, and a belief in worlds where people come back from the dead, or sky deities sip tea alongside us. It is not one and the same--you cannot justify irrational beliefs by conjuring artistic processes. If these things were real, they would manifest on their own--there would be no human component to pen them down, and therefore, no brain activity would be required on behalf of the artist, as he would be naught but a vessel through which this "magic world" of music/art/etc. travels. To me, that sounds totally far-fetched, and I can say that from an artist's, and not a scientist's, perspective.

Here is an article which provides some interesting information on creativity and the brain: http://www.livestrong.com/article/81868-parts-brain-influence-creativity/

We also use the right side of our brains to lie--which requires imagination, therefore, are lies also perceptions from another world? How do we discriminate what is real and what isn't if our definition is based solely on subjective perception?

As an aside, why did I react to your bringing Michael up, you ask? This is the second time I've heard "this is a Michael Jackson fanboard" in response to my statements--as if that in and of itself had anything to do with the subject at hand or served as proof to validate something completely based on fancy. I'm not accusing you of attempting to do this, but to bring up something like that just smacks of blatant manipulation. I've already had someone tell me, "well, Michael believed in this and that..." as if I had to believe in what he believed to be his fan? I doubt he'd want that to occur, so why is it even relevant? One can be of scientific mind and still admire Michael's talent.

Would you care to enlighten us on these observations of the non-physical world? What would make your observations any more valid than those of someone diagnosed with schizophrenia? Isn't that a matter of perception as well? The paranoid schizophrenic perceives he is being watched/attacked/harassed, when nothing of the sort is occurring--does that make him "able to perceive something others can't?" Interestingly enough, that sort of delusion (believing they possess abilities others are "blind" to, like psychic powers, etc.) is part of the criteria for a schizophrenia diagnosis. For that matter, what of the "observations" of people who are high on hallucinogens? The people who, in their high state, mistake ordinary things for threatening objects? Did the object morph in another dimension, or is the drug user's perception/observation evidently flawed?

My paragraph appeals to objective logic and reason by appealing to scientific facts. In previous posts (and this one), I've provided links to further information found outside of my own utterances, so the core of the information I provide is not based on my subjective outlook, but rather on scientific findings (by others, therefore not subjective) anyone, theoretically, could reproduce. I don't claim to "know" things others don't, or observe things others can't see. By your own words, you've claimed just that--and failed to provide any evidence which would appeal to reason. One thing is to be unsure as to what happens (for example, after death), to have no stance until further research has been conducted (this is where I stand), and another is to claim to "know" something and providing no proof whatsoever which holds objectively.

We each perceive reality and the world in a slightly different manner (providing there is no mental illness/drug use present). However, despite our individual/subjective outlook of the world, a lot of things remain objective truths, such as gravity existing on Earth. Whether you're here or in Indonesia black, white, man, woman, old, young, whatever else--gravity remains a constant force on Earth. This is objective. Objective facts are things which can be reproduced by others--for example, the fact that metal causes sparks in a microwave. No matter who places the metal, or at what time of day or night, the events will be the same.

Science does not claim that only certain people can place the metal in the microwave for sparks to be produced. Your spirituality, on the other hand, claims that only "special" people (special by default of your definition, since they deviate from the currently accepted human perception) can perceive these things which exist in the non-physical world, and if someone fails to find them, that person is not "in the know." It is perfectly permissible to ask questions--however, claiming to know something without providing anything of substance to validate this supposed knowledge/insight is ludicrous at best.

With that said, believe what you will, as I stated previously. I'm not forcing anyone to adopt a rational or scientific outlook--last time I checked, we still sort of adhere by things such as freedom of expression, so you're allowed to speak your piece as much as I am.

I like your signature quote, you know, about the body and so forth! Very thought provoking for me. It somehow contains a lot of what's been spoken to in this thread. Bodies, knowledge, end etc.

Threatening? That is your perception. Nothing threatening in sight, actually. How do you arrive at the conclusion of threatening?

You probably read that I said very plainly that I do not know what beliefs he held in physical life, feel free to quote me. I asked a question about the continuity of Love (how are you able to deny someone else their perception of love?), did not ask you to believe in any of Michael's presumed beliefs. I am the last person on the planet to force third hand beliefs on anyone, atheist, new age expo visitor or anything in between.

By the way, I believe it's rational that all sides are able to speak here without being attributed mental illness, simply because you do not agree. No one expects to convert anyone, so please do not try to put down others as mentally ill because you do not agree.

Last edited:
^It's from a Revolutionary Girl Utena duel song, called, "I Am An Imaginary Living Body," otherwise known as Mikage's duel. The character himself has a very flawed perception of reality, caused by an attempt to protect his own psyche and sense of self after he commits a great crime. Time "stops" for him (literally--he fails to age--a metaphor for his refusal to accept change) and reality is morphed to suit the perceptions in his mind (as opposed to the converse, which is status quo), so that he sees the past in the present, and projects images of people who no longer exist unto others who remind him of them. He remembers nothing of his old identity as Professor Nemuro, a rational and scientific man "living dry days." As Mikage, he is arguably more emotional, most definitely irrational and disturbed (he tries to manipulate other students into dueling by pushing their psychological buttons).

He is ultimately forced to face reality, most notably his crime (he deluded himself into believing his love interest's dead brother had committed the crime), and "graduates" from Ohtori Academy (itself a garden of delusion, dream, and metaphor, where things never change, infinite circular motion). It is presumed he grows up and time "goes on" once more for him. Whether he reclaims his old self as Professor Nemuro, continues as Mikage (unlikely), or creates an entirely new identity is unclear.

Last edited:
Severus,

Why won't you allow people to believe in the scientific and the unknown? Is that such a bad thing? Why are you so unwilling to acknowledge that there simply isn't an answer to everything? You're clearly very intelligent have very interesting theories but you appear so rooted in the "facts" that you are missing out on the big picture - that life is unpredictable. Just when you think you've figured out the answer, life changes the question.

@ Travis: I don't control what the lot of you believe--I've said it more than once, believe what you will. I can't change it, nor do I want to. There are a lot of unpredictable things in the world--The Weather Channel proves this constantly. However, you're confusing irrational beliefs with unpredictable events. The nature of beliefs and events are very different--one exists only in the mind, whereas the other manifests itself in an objective and universal reality. An example of an irrational belief: someone who believes himself to be the Queen of England--this is obviously true only in that person's mind, and all others would render him insane. He requires no proof to hold on to this belief--despite the fact that he lives in a cardboard box, or even in a mental asylum, in his mind he's in a castle eating crumpets.

An unpredictable event, on the other hand, is universally applicable. For example, weather is not entirely predictable--say, The Weather Channel tells us it's going to be sunny all day in Toronto, Canada. However, in the middle of the afternoon in that very place, it starts to rain. Although unpredictable, this event is occurring on a universal scale. Whether you're in Illinois, Tokyo, Dresden, or Toronto--the fact remains, it rained in Toronto that afternoon. Unpredictable, however, universal. Everyone in Toronto felt the rain--not "special" people who could feel rain--no, everyone saw it, felt it, smelled it, heard it, tasted it (ew). One would be mental to state it didn't rain, when all evidence points to the fact that it did.

As you can see, there is a difference between personal beliefs and unpredictable events. Science does not seek to predict the world--it seeks to understand it. If anyone seeks to predict things, it'd be the believers--have any of them died yet? No. Yet, they believe they can predict what happens after death, whether through the utterances of some cult leader or something written in the pages of some text.

One does not believe in science, Travis. Believing is, by its very definition, blind faith--the pinnacle of its manifestation being outlandish belief statements such as the one in the title of the infamous R. Kelly song, "I Believe I Can Fly." Let's take the song as example--he can believe all he wants, but the fact remains that if he throws himself from the top of a particularly tall building, he will fall to his death, despite the power of his belief. Were he to understand the physical impossibility of flight (pertaining to the unaided human body), he would have never attempted such a foolish thing to begin with.

The reason one does not believe in science is because of the scientific method.

overview_scientific_method2.gif

Unlike the believer, the scientist, once he finds evidence proving his initial hypothesis to be erroneous/false, does not cover his ears and yell "la la la la la I can't hear you!" or otherwise close up to rational explanation in an attempt to protect his ego. Unlike beliefs, hypotheses are impersonal in nature and understood to be experimental. Beliefs, on the other hand, are deeply personal (it takes a lot of faith to embrace something so wholeheartedly with little or no proof whatsoever to back it up). When they are trumped, the self suffers a blow (how could I, a reasonably intelligent person, put my lot with such a ridiculous thing? In order to avoid this blow to the ego, the believer simply denies the offensive evidence in an effort to avoid pain and shame(i.e. Fundie Christians claiming there's some sort of science conspiracy against the "facts" stated by religious authorities, the bible, etc.) Rage is also common--as the believer perceives the facts to the contrary to be an explicit attack against his person (he is so rooted in his beliefs he cannot distinguish between himself and his stances) and reacts accordingly.

As for your statement regarding me being unable to accept that one may never find the answers--I'm unsure as to where you gathered this idea from. I was the first to say that, where evidence cannot be found, the best stance is no stance at all. Having no conclusive answers or explanations is not a free pass to make things up. The rational thing to do would be to research further, or else give up on the thing entirely and arrive at no conclusions. How would an irrational conclusion be "accepting" that there isn't an answer to everything? If anything, irrational people are the ones most obsessed with finding answers to things--subjective, flimsy answers. When scientists don't know for certain, they research, investigate, etc. to find the answer, and until that moment comes, things remain unknown. With irrational beliefs, however, when an answer to how something works cannot be found, a made up one is put in its place to "solve" the mystery (see=practically any religion, myth, legend, etc.) If not everything has an answer, why put so much effort into sticking up for an irrational belief? Why not just accept that it's a mystery and either attempt to decode it in a universal level, or else leave it at that?

As for theories, the posts I've provided cite outside sources and research findings--they are not my "theories," but scientific facts. I don't recall anyone else on here putting forth so much outside information. I've only been called cold, clinical, or else I've been accused of not "allowing" others to believe as they want, as if I held such power. Debate is not equivalent to confrontation--in a forum setting, discussion is allowed, ideally, encouraged. If one's view is challenged, as it should be expected in a forum where people of all sorts congregate, one can defend his stance through argument--citing facts, appealing to logic outside one's own mind, etc.

As for missing the big picture, couldn't I say the same of your stance? If life is so changing and unpredictable, then no answer ought to suffice, as you've pointed out--once you've figured out the answer, regardless of the means used or conclusion reached, life changes the question. Therefore, using that logic, nobody's stance on anything at all would hold--including yours. However, using that logic, things like gravity, laws of physics, etc. would not hold, as things would have to be constantly changing at a universal level, ever out of reach, etc.

P.S. I'm not the one who claimed things were predictable--if I recall rightly, Pace was the one who believed in natural order.

pace said:
Threatening? That is your perception. Nothing threatening in sight, actually. How do you arrive at the conclusion of threatening?

You probably read that I said very plainly that I do not know what beliefs he held in physical life, feel free to quote me. I asked a question about the continuity of Love (how are you able to deny someone else their perception of love?), did not ask you to believe in any of Michael's presumed beliefs. I am the last person on the planet to force third hand beliefs on anyone, atheist, new age expo visitor or anything in between.

By the way, I believe it's rational that all sides are able to speak here without being attributed mental illness, simply because you do not agree. No one expects to convert anyone, so please do not try to put down others as mentally ill because you do not agree.

Michael: You can also quote me--I clearly said I wasn't accusing you of doing such a thing. However, someone else had already told me something along the lines of what I put in quotations, without clear reason to do so, since we weren't talking about Michael. I answered your question about the perception of "love" already--how could I deny them the perception of love? I can't deny them that any more or less than I could deny someone who thought himself to be Napoleon Bonaparte that perception. People believe what they will in the end, evidently.

Threatening: I wasn't claiming anybody was being threatening. We were discussing perception of physical/non-physical reality as a general concept. Drugs change people's perception of their surroundings, so I cited them as an example of this. The threatening object statement was an example of how someone finding himself under the influence of drugs could erroneously perceive himself to be in danger, or could see objects turning into frightening/threatening things. I was very clearly not talking about you. Some side effects of drugs include paranoia--would the object he sees as dangerous be such a thing on a non-physical level, or is he obviously on something and not thinking clearly? Scientifically, we know the answer to that question, but using your approach on personal perception, how could we possibly tell him his perception is flawed?

Mental Illness: I never implied you, or anyone else who holds on to beliefs without the use of reason, had a mental illness. The trait is too common to attribute it to that, and part of what fuels irrational belief is human nature to find solace in an uncertain and ever-changing world, to go back to the safety net of parental love, or else to deny our own mortality. However, your argument about personal perception and people being able to observe things in a non-physical/subjective reality would have to apply across all boards, which would include those who abuse drugs and are considered mentally ill, as they too claim to see/hear/feel things which are not universally present. My question was, using your perception argument, how would we distinguish between someone who thinks they can see/talk to the dead from a schizophrenic who believes he can talk to squirrels? Whose perception would be correct, with neither having anything of substance to support it? How could we call one suitable and the other completely nuts? How would we justify our choice--as choosing one person's perception over the other's would be downright negating/going against your subjective perceptive reality outlook.

As you can clearly see, I am neither claiming to hold the answers, nor degrading you for believing what you do. I'm just prompting you to think about the questions I ask--the questions your outlook begs to be asked of it. Beliefs work well enough on a personal scale, but on a universal level, they quickly crumble to pieces, as it is impossible to have something subjective apply on an objective level--alas, the difference between fact and belief.

.....I just like life and I love people. And I believe in love. The end.

*leaves thread*

I wasn't aware that anyone asked you for your opinion of homosexuality? This isn't a debate about ones own personal morale. I thought this topic had delved in to whether or not love is real or just an "illusion"? I only mentioned human evolution theory as something that is scientific but not based in absolute fact (hence the word "theory"). Much of science is a guessing game, just the same as the big bang theory. No one knows for certain how we got here or if there's a purpose and while there is nothing wrong with trying to uncover clues, a little uncertainty in life can be quite alright. That's all I'm saying. We don't need a rhyme and reason to everything that we feel in our hearts.

And yet so manyothers have expressed time and again in this thread that they believed homosexuality to be ok even saying (as you did also) that they cannot understand why someone would have a problem with it, and all of this talk was ok with you because it spoke highly of homosexuality. Then you have the gaul to say this thread is not about a person's opinion of homosexuality???

Whatever man. If this thread was not about that, I would have to erase half the thread for being off topic. Very clearly, one's view of homosexuality has been very prominent in this thread. I was simply stating that I know my opinion would unnecessarily disturb the thread and so I would refrain from emphasizing it here.

@ Travis: I don't control what the lot of you believe--I've said it more than once, believe what you will. I can't change it, nor do I want to. There are a lot of unpredictable things in the world--The Weather Channel proves this constantly. However, you're confusing irrational beliefs with unpredictable events. The nature of beliefs and events are very different--one exists only in the mind, whereas the other manifests itself in an objective and universal reality. An example of an irrational belief: someone who believes himself to be the Queen of England--this is obviously true only in that person's mind, and all others would render him insane. He requires no proof to hold on to this belief--despite the fact that he lives in a cardboard box, or even in a mental asylum, in his mind he's in a castle eating crumpets.

An unpredictable event, on the other hand, is universally applicable. For example, weather is not entirely predictable--say, The Weather Channel tells us it's going to be sunny all day in Toronto, Canada. However, in the middle of the afternoon in that very place, it starts to rain. Although unpredictable, this event is occurring on a universal scale. Whether you're in Illinois, Tokyo, Dresden, or Toronto--the fact remains, it rained in Toronto that afternoon. Unpredictable, however, universal. Everyone in Toronto felt the rain--not "special" people who could feel rain--no, everyone saw it, felt it, smelled it, heard it, tasted it (ew). One would be mental to state it didn't rain, when all evidence points to the fact that it did.

As you can see, there is a difference between personal beliefs and unpredictable events. Science does not seek to predict the world--it seeks to understand it. If anyone seeks to predict things, it'd be the believers--have any of them died yet? No. Yet, they believe they can predict what happens after death, whether through the utterances of some cult leader or something written in the pages of some text.

One does not believe in science, Travis. Believing is, by its very definition, blind faith--the pinnacle of its manifestation being outlandish belief statements such as the one in the title of the infamous R. Kelly song, "I Believe I Can Fly." Let's take the song as example--he can believe all he wants, but the fact remains that if he throws himself from the top of a particularly tall building, he will fall to his death, despite the power of his belief. Were he to understand the physical impossibility of flight (pertaining to the unaided human body), he would have never attempted such a foolish thing to begin with.

The reason one does not believe in science is because of the scientific method.

overview_scientific_method2.gif

Unlike the believer, the scientist, once he finds evidence proving his initial hypothesis to be erroneous/false, does not cover his ears and yell "la la la la la I can't hear you!" or otherwise close up to rational explanation in an attempt to protect his ego. Unlike beliefs, hypotheses are impersonal in nature and understood to be experimental. Beliefs, on the other hand, are deeply personal (it takes a lot of faith to embrace something so wholeheartedly with little or no proof whatsoever to back it up). When they are trumped, the self suffers a blow (how could I, a reasonably intelligent person, put my lot with such a ridiculous thing? In order to avoid this blow to the ego, the believer simply denies the offensive evidence in an effort to avoid pain and shame(i.e. Fundie Christians claiming there's some sort of science conspiracy against the "facts" stated by religious authorities, the bible, etc.) Rage is also common--as the believer perceives the facts to the contrary to be an explicit attack against his person (he is so rooted in his beliefs he cannot distinguish between himself and his stances) and reacts accordingly.

As for your statement regarding me being unable to accept that one may never find the answers--I'm unsure as to where you gathered this idea from. I was the first to say that, where evidence cannot be found, the best stance is no stance at all. Having no conclusive answers or explanations is not a free pass to make things up. The rational thing to do would be to research further, or else give up on the thing entirely and arrive at no conclusions. How would an irrational conclusion be "accepting" that there isn't an answer to everything? If anything, irrational people are the ones most obsessed with finding answers to things--subjective, flimsy answers. When scientists don't know for certain, they research, investigate, etc. to find the answer, and until that moment comes, things remain unknown. With irrational beliefs, however, when an answer to how something works cannot be found, a made up one is put in its place to "solve" the mystery (see=practically any religion, myth, legend, etc.) If not everything has an answer, why put so much effort into sticking up for an irrational belief? Why not just accept that it's a mystery and either attempt to decode it in a universal level, or else leave it at that?

As for theories, the posts I've provided cite outside sources and research findings--they are not my "theories," but scientific facts. I don't recall anyone else on here putting forth so much outside information. I've only been called cold, clinical, or else I've been accused of not "allowing" others to believe as they want, as if I held such power. Debate is not equivalent to confrontation--in a forum setting, discussion is allowed, ideally, encouraged. If one's view is challenged, as it should be expected in a forum where people of all sorts congregate, one can defend his stance through argument--citing facts, appealing to logic outside one's own mind, etc.

As for missing the big picture, couldn't I say the same of your stance? If life is so changing and unpredictable, then no answer ought to suffice, as you've pointed out--once you've figured out the answer, regardless of the means used or conclusion reached, life changes the question. Therefore, using that logic, nobody's stance on anything at all would hold--including yours. However, using that logic, things like gravity, laws of physics, etc. would not hold, as things would have to be constantly changing at a universal level, ever out of reach, etc.

P.S. I'm not the one who claimed things were predictable--if I recall rightly, Pace was the one who believed in natural order.

Michael: You can also quote me--I clearly said I wasn't accusing you of doing such a thing. However, someone else had already told me something along the lines of what I put in quotations, without clear reason to do so, since we weren't talking about Michael. I answered your question about the perception of "love" already--how could I deny them the perception of love? I can't deny them that any more or less than I could deny someone who thought himself to be Napoleon Bonaparte that perception. People believe what they will in the end, evidently.

Threatening: I wasn't claiming anybody was being threatening. We were discussing perception of physical/non-physical reality as a general concept. Drugs change people's perception of their surroundings, so I cited them as an example of this. The threatening object statement was an example of how someone finding himself under the influence of drugs could erroneously perceive himself to be in danger, or could see objects turning into frightening/threatening things. I was very clearly not talking about you. Some side effects of drugs include paranoia--would the object he sees as dangerous be such a thing on a non-physical level, or is he obviously on something and not thinking clearly? Scientifically, we know the answer to that question, but using your approach on personal perception, how could we possibly tell him his perception is flawed?

Mental Illness: I never implied you, or anyone else who holds on to beliefs without the use of reason, had a mental illness. The trait is too common to attribute it to that, and part of what fuels irrational belief is human nature to find solace in an uncertain and ever-changing world, to go back to the safety net of parental love, or else to deny our own mortality. However, your argument about personal perception and people being able to observe things in a non-physical/subjective reality would have to apply across all boards, which would include those who abuse drugs and are considered mentally ill, as they too claim to see/hear/feel things which are not universally present. My question was, using your perception argument, how would we distinguish between someone who thinks they can see/talk to the dead from a schizophrenic who believes he can talk to squirrels? Whose perception would be correct, with neither having anything of substance to support it? How could we call one suitable and the other completely nuts? How would we justify our choice--as choosing one person's perception over the other's would be downright negating/going against your subjective perceptive reality outlook.

As you can clearly see, I am neither claiming to hold the answers, nor degrading you for believing what you do. I'm just prompting you to think about the questions I ask--the questions your outlook begs to be asked of it. Beliefs work well enough on a personal scale, but on a universal level, they quickly crumble to pieces, as it is impossible to have something subjective apply on an objective level--alas, the difference between fact and belief.

Servus you are so unbelievably condescending and (I'm trying hard to find the words without insulting you so I'll leave it at that. I am not very PC and will say what is on my mind and sometimes it comes out incorrectly especially on an impersonal computer screen) contradictory. You say you are not degrading a person for believing as they do, yet you repeatedly call a person's view irrational, unreasonable, and compare them to those who are mentally ill. How do expect a person to react?

Also your idea that until a scientist knows something for certain, it remains unknown. Where have you been? Scientists make up stuff all of the time and then present theitr beliefs to be fact. If a person followed a scientific method and that alone, you may have a point about the superiority of science, but they far to often fill in the blanks with what they believe.

For instance, did you know that they have only been a few fragments collected of australopithicus afarensis, yet from these few fragments, science creates a whole body, they create a whole lifestyle for this animal, and because this is what so many want to believe (that the missing link is found) this is being taught in many science classrooms as being fact. Yet, there is actually very little physical evidence to corroborate this, but because a fair number of scientists belive this to be so, it has been the standard.

How many times has science told generations of people that Tyrannosaurus Rex was this ravaging meat eating predator. This idea was pushed so much that films have been made around this and has become what is acceptable for a person to believe. Yet this was without a lot of corroborating evidence. Yet, when another was able to put aside the acceptable conclusion, they realized based on what evidence was actually there that T-rex was more likely to be a scavenger as opposed to a predator.

How many programs have been on TV with scientists stating that King Tut died from this cause or from this reason, after they examined his bones.

People like to believe that scientists are impartial and work only on fact without any emotion being involved, and without emotion influencing the outcome, but this is a total fallacy. Scientists all of the time have a point A and a point B and fill in the rest with what they believe that is based on nothing more than what they believe. When scientists are not albe to find something to fill in the unknown, they make it up. That is why we have so many scientific theories that were once deemed as fact that have turned out to be false . With those we have Cold fusion, Static universe, phrenology, the idea people are born with a blank slate, etc (thanks google). These became fact until they were later proven wrong. Science is not as objective as you think.

Pace is correct when, IMO, when he/she says that science and religion are not as far apart as you think. One attempts to explain the physical and one attempts to explain the spitirual while touching on one another somewhere in between. Faith is not blind if it is real. Faith is "the assured expectation of things, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld." Anyone can claim something based on religion, just like anyone can claim something based on science, in both regards it is done all of the time. As with both of them, some things will be easier to disregard and some will take centuries to overcome, some will take longer than that.

Also, I find it very funny that you would mention the song by R Kelly I belive I can fly and take it as a vey literal thing. It was obvioulsy a metaphor for being able to accomplish anything and for being able to push past the obstacles that are placed in your path. However, when a person only sees the world in black and white, these kinds of wonders totally escapes their mental perception sometimes.

Last edited:
Back