MJ lip-syncing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. You know, I would have done anything to have seen him live, and trust me, I wouldn't have cared whether he had been lip syncing or not, just being there would have been enough for me.

Same here Louise. I always said I just wanted his entourage to accept all he had been through and to provide a more realistic concert when Michael Jackson sat down and sang the music - just him, orchestra and us! Thats it, no pressure, no High School Musical stuff expected. I wanted the expectations on him to be low so that he could deal with it and provide the music. If they wanted the dance etc then just run videos in the back ground. To take it down the beauty of the music he provided. He had proved in life he could dance, he had proved his musical genius could provide our soundtracks and he had proved he could sing.

I just wanted to hear Michael Jackson (lip sync or live), I just wanted him to know the fans were there for him and I just wanted to stand up at the end and provide applause for a man who in our lives had given so much. The soundtrack of childhoods, of finding true love, of holding our babies and of family members dying - his music is there at every juncture of an important moment.

I just wanted to thank him, that was all.

Exactly. You know, I would have done anything to have seen him live, and trust me, I wouldn't have cared whether he had been lip syncing or not, just being there and seeing him perform would have been enough for me.

So you ´ve really low expectations from a performer do you?

I would ´ve want my money back if I ever went to a prince concert and he was miminc the whole time-that would be really f..... up. I don´t go to a concert just to see an musician the musician isn´t some kind of fashion model.

Imagine going to a Miles Davis Concert and he isn´t playing the trompet just miminc..........and the whole trompet play comes from a CD....in the backround

You say seeing him perform would have been enough??? Where is the logic in your statement? If he is lip-syncing he isn´t performing he is just moving but that is only 20-30% of an performance. You can go with 20%?? I rather have a 100% when I put my money on the table.

Imagine you were at a Marvin Gaye concert or Stevie Wonder and the two would mime the entire concert I would be very angry and would want my money back!

So the lip-syncing really hurts his legacy big time. Stevie Wonder, Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Little Richard, Elvis, Prince, Jackie Wilson etc etc. they never lip-synced

Last edited:
I have watched it a number of times and i know he wasn't lip-syncing. His voice is breaking during loads of his songs because of the dancing but i don't really mind that. Do you think he is miming here? www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiIbb5kxceE

Yes totally lip-syncing on this performance, you know he lips synced becuase he always looks embarassed when he puts his hand over his mouth.

If you listen to this History concert rehearsal to can hear the difference a lot more raw and exciting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5etxr2v3Qjo

But who cares, Michael was of a different league, you didn't go to a Michael Jackson concert to hear him sing live, you went because you was in the same room/place as Michael Jackson just to have that couple of hours with him, that connection with him.

After everything Michael had been through this was more than a song and dance routine concert. For those who had suffered every moment along with him, had felt the pain, had endured themselves so much for being a fan of Michael Jackson this was more than a concert.

He was there as a survivor, and people in that audience also in their own worlds were survivors too. It was a concert to SHOW SUPPORT, to BE THERE FOR HIM, to GIVE BACK! A lot of the fans were going to give back.......and to say thank you.

After all it was the final curtain call. there may have never been another opportunity for the fans to thank him, and the way fans do is by being there.

The relationship between the Michael Jackson fans and Michael Jackson is intense and powerful, I do not believe for one minute that the fans are fans because when they click their fingers he should be out there performing like a 20 year old.

you didn't go to a Michael Jackson concert to hear him sing live, you went because you was in the same room/place as Michael Jackson just to have that couple of hours with him, that connection with him.

??? you´re not talking for me.

I went to see him sing live.

It´s really a joke here. As if I´ve demanded the impossible. It´quite natural when you go to a concert you expect live vocals it´s nothing offthe beaten track.
Man even Beyonce sings live.........

So you ´ve really low expectations from a performer do you?

I would ´ve want my money back if I ever went to a prince concert and he was miminc the whole time-that would be really f..... up. I don´t go to a concert just to see an musician the musician isn´t some kind of fashion model.

Imagine going to a Miles Davis Concert and he isn´t playing the trompet just miminc..........and the whole trompet play comes from a CD....in the backround

You say seeing him perform would have been enough??? Where is the logic in your statement? If he is lip-syncing he isn´t performing he is just moving but that is only 20-30% of an performance. You can go with 20%?? I rather have a 100% when I put my money on the table.

Imagine you were at a Marvin Gaye concert or Stevie Wonder and the two would mime the entire concert I would be very angry and would want my money back!

So the lip-syncing really hurts his legacy big time. Stevie Wonder, Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Little Richard, Elvis, Prince, Jackie Wilson etc etc. they never lip-synced

Dont be so harsh on Louise, tis her opinion and you should respect it without being so forceful.

??? you´re not talking for me.

I went to see him sing live.

It´s really a joke here. As if I´ve demanded the impossible. It´quite natural when you go to a concert you expect live vocals it´s nothing offthe beaten track.
Man even Beyonce sings live.........

Arty, what does Michael Jackson mean to you?

After everything Michael had been through this was more than a song and dance routine concert. For those who had suffered every moment along with him, had felt the pain, had endured themselves so much for being a fan of Michael Jackson this was more than a concert.

He was there as a survivor, and people in that audience also in their own worlds were survivors too. It was a concert to SHOW SUPPORT, to BE THERE FOR HIM, to GIVE BACK! A lot of the fans were going to give back.......and to say thank you.

After all it was the final curtain call. there may have never been another opportunity for the fans to thank him, and the way fans do is by being there.

The relationship between the Michael Jackson fans and Michael Jackson is intense and powerful, I do not believe for one minute that the fans are fans because when they click their fingers he should be out there performing like a 20 year old.

And what has this all to do with him lip-syncing.
It was a concert to show support-you´re right but why wasn´t it a concert to show support with live vocals at least for slow numbers like stranger in moscow what has your topic to do with live vocals I on´t get it.

When I got free tickets to see Jason Donovan by goodness I wished he had lip sync'd...........lol.

Exactly. You know, I would have done anything to have seen him live, and trust me, I wouldn't have cared whether he had been lip syncing or not, just being there and seeing him perform would have been enough for me.

I agree.
Breathing the same air for a few hours matters more to me than if he's singing or not.
If I wanna hear him sing I can put on an album.

After all this time, after watching all his short films, after watching all the concert DVDs, I still freak out when he does the moonwalk. I still cry when he does the big break down at the end of MITM. :wub::wub:

Well we will just have to agree to disagree Arty.

therefore back on track, I couldnt care less if Michael Jackson (had) lip sync'd at the 02.

Lip-syncing isn't perfection. If it is to hard to do both the dance and live singing then the singing should come first. If Michael was just a dancer i don't think any of us would have heard of him. People go to concerts to hear him sing live not to hear the cd playing.

That's your opinion.

But it is not correct to say everyone goes to his concerts to hear him sing. Most people go to see the show and the dancing. Remember that most people who are at his shows are not die hard fans. It is more common that die hard fans take the live singing into account, but your everyday Joe who really does not care about Michael, but will gladly pay to see him is not going to care if he sings live or not.

If you also take a look at past reviews of his concerts. you notice that not a single review talks about if he sings live or not. This is because the people making the reviews know that most people only want to know about the show itself and Michael's dancing.

It seems some are unaware of this, but Michael Jackson's popularity the past three decades is mostly due to his dancing skills. No one is saying his singing skills is less good, but his dancing is what made him such a commercial success. And that is what people who are not fans like you and me associate with when they think about Michael Jackson and his shows.

?? You compare Mike with Donovan???

I think you have issues Arty, it was a light hearted flip to lighten the mode. And of course I dont compare the both - I would never pay for tickets to see Mr Donovan.....lol.

I remember a thread like this on another board 6 or so years ago. More of less the same kind of comments and people getting annoyed at the lip synching. i completely get it, but i think fans find it upsetting talking badly about him lip synching because michael is gone and can't defend himself.

decisions were made re the lip synching all those years ago, and they can't be undone. it's a shame, but considering how much michael hated touring I think we were lucky to even get him on a stage that was more than 5 minutes from his house.

I'm sorry, but I would imagine that TII is going to be lip synching.

Oh and got to be there, i was in Dublin in 97, and i have the video and he was lip synching scream. i must add, that i only noticed as such when i watched the video, and not when i was at the concert. not for a second.

Too bad no one ever asked him about using voice tracks (lip syncing) in any of the interviews he gave.. I'm a fan since 1983. I saw him perform live in 1988 at Wembley during the bad tour. He only used a voice track for the first part of man in the mirror. Then in 1992 I saw him live at Cologne Germany in the first lag of the dangerous tour, where he sang most of the show live, including TWYMMF and Black or white. he used voice tracks for Jam, Smooth criminal, Heal the world, Will you be there and first half of man in the mirror.

Then, in later shows of the dangerous tour, he started using voice track on about 50% of the set list.. I was very disapointed after I saw him once again in tel aviv Israel for the second leg of the dangerous tour. It was mostly lip synced. I had a chance to see him live again during the History tour, but after seeing one show on TV, I was very disappointed to find out that he is now using voice track on 80% of the set list.. including Billie jean...

Even Madonna, whom I hate never uses voice tracks in her shows.. Actually I don't think any other famous artist would ever dare using voice tracks.. If Michael really had voice problems, he shouldn't have performed at all. By the way, most of the MSG performance was lip synced. Michael sounds great live, I really don't understand why he'd use voice tracks.. I'm quite sure he was going to lip sync most of the TII concert.. I guess we'll never know..

Mike was lip-syncing even slow number like Heal the World, Stranger in Moscow, Man in the Mirror, Earth Song etc. So I think he had problems. ANd if he had problems he shouldn´t do the History Tour in the first place. The History Tour was very stressful and taking much from the man and Mike did know that he couldn´t deliver like he used to have and I think that caused more stess in him and wasn´t at all good for his health.
But the fans(I´m included) they didn´t care they were selfish just see the man performe as many have said it. We should have seen all the signs. Mike wasn´t at all in top form during History he even couldn´t sing live. It would´ve been better for Mike if the fans stayed at home and so he could breath out and get better and do a couple of concerts when he is up to.

If a singer is not actually singing, then there is no point for me to go to a concert really. As others have stated, Michael lip synced quite a bit on the History tour. I was watching a Billie Jean performance from the History tour yesterday where he was lip syncing. You can tell when someone is lip syncing when the music quality is exactly like the CD. Smooth, almost sterile, studio quality sound. Even the tiny background vocal inflections are the same. Etc.

Actually I don't think any other famous artist would ever dare using voice tracks.. If Michael really had voice problems, he shouldn't have performed at all. By the way, most of the MSG performance was lip synced. Michael sounds great live, I really don't understand why he'd use voice tracks.. I'm quite sure he was going to lip sync most of the TII concert.. I guess we'll never know..

I 100% agree with you.

Too bad no one ever asked him about using voice tracks (lip syncing) in any of the interviews he gave.. I'm a fan since 1983. I saw him perform live in 1988 at Wembley during the bad tour. He only used a voice track for the first part of man in the mirror. Then in 1992 I saw him live at Cologne Germany in the first lag of the dangerous tour, where he sang most of the show live, including TWYMMF and Black or white. he used voice tracks for Jam, Smooth criminal, Heal the world, Will you be there and first half of man in the mirror.

Then, in later shows of the dangerous tour, he started using voice track on about 50% of the set list.. I was very disapointed after I saw him once again in tel aviv Israel for the second leg of the dangerous tour. It was mostly lip synced. I had a chance to see him live again during the History tour, but after seeing one show on TV, I was very disappointed to find out that he is now using voice track on 80% of the set list.. including Billie jean...

Even Madonna, whom I hate never uses voice tracks in her shows.. Actually I don't think any other famous artist would ever dare using voice tracks.. If Michael really had voice problems, he shouldn't have performed at all. By the way, most of the MSG performance was lip synced. Michael sounds great live, I really don't understand why he'd use voice tracks.. I'm quite sure he was going to lip sync most of the TII concert.. I guess we'll never know..

No, most of MSG 2001 was live.

Damn, either Arty needs glasses or I do.
HIStory rocks my socks.
I love watching his energy and moves!
I love the intro with the spaceship.
I love the flags and the marching.
I love the dancing he does by himself.
The pop lockin, the robot, the moonwalk..............damn just too much to talk about.
The magic tricks used to make him disappear during Thriller!
I'm like a kid in the candy store. Too much to see and take in.
I love the way he speaks to the fans. OMG, *the bug*. How many people can connect with their fans and make us love him even more, just be not wanting a bug killed?
Oh and no I'm not some love sick teenager.

I really don´t understand is this. If Michael hated touring which I can understand why hasn´t he give some "Concerts" in Neverland. Just for himself and filmed everything. Just for his own legacy. I don´t get this. It ´s a shame thata man with so much talent wasn´t filming live performances of masterpiece songs like Who is it etc.

Damn, either Arty needs glasses or I do.
HIStory rocks my socks.
I love watching his energy and moves!
I love the intro with the spaceship.
I love the flags and the marching.
I love the dancing he does by himself.
The pop lockin, the robot, the moonwalk..............damn just too much to talk about.
The magic tricks used to make him disappear during Thriller!
I'm like a kind in the candy store. Too much to see and take in.
I love the way he speaks to the fans. OMG, *the bug*. How many people can connect with their fans and make us love him ever more, just be not wanting a bug killed?
Oh and no I'm not some love sick teenager.

I think Arty's just really mad.

I really don´t understand is this. If Michael hated touring which I can understand why hasn´t he give some "Concerts" in Neverland. Just for himself and filmed everything. Just for his own legacy. I don´t get this. It ´s a shame thata man with so much talent wasn´t filming live performances of masterpiece songs like Who is it etc.

Can't you just be grateful what he did for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back