MJ lip-syncing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check your ears. I´m sorry but you´re 100% wrong. It was all lip-syncing only the J5 Stuff was live.

Wanna Be Startin Somethin was also the only other song sang 100% live.

Have you heard about a brother called James Brown. Hve you seen him in concert when he was over 60???

And what about Prince? He´s 50 and he was giving a masterpiece concert in Monaco just 2 weeks ago. Singing -of course live, damcing and playing the guitar.

James Brown, wasn't doing dance moves after the age if 60 like he used to even though he was still brilliant live.

Prince no longer dances on stage, he just does a few moves. He is now more of a guitar based live performer. I saw Prince at the O2 two years ago and he was amazing but hardly danced and mainly played guitar (though he does move around the stage and does awesome poses etc), and I loved his O2 concerts just as much as the LoveSexy Tour I attended in 1988.

I listen to music, but I hate it when artists just sit there, unless it's for a slow song.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

And artists like Prince, David Bowie, Miles Davis, Elvis, Springsteen why would they sit when they sing they can walk the stage interact with the fans etc.
Where´s your problem?
Which artist do you mean? I´ve never saw an artist on concert who just sits there.
So please tell me the name of the artist.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

And artists like Prince, David Bowie, Miles Davis, Elvis, Springsteen why would they sit when they sing they can walk the stage interact with the fans etc.
Where´s your problem?
Which artist do you mean? I´ve never saw an artist on concert who just sits there.
So please tell me the name of the artist.

I said that wrong. I don't mean a literal sit, I mean that they just stand there. Moving around is fine, but I like action, I like raw action that makes me excited, and dancing and singing, for me, is very exciting.

James Brown, wasn't doing dance moves after the age if 60 like he used to even though he was still brilliant live.

Prince no longer dances on stage, he just does a few moves. He is now more of a guitar based live performer. I saw Prince at the O2 two years ago and he was amazing, and I loved his O2 concerts just as much as the LoveSexy Tour I attended in 1988.

So there you go both artist were great live. They did the right thing step done with the dancing and give it all with the voice.
MJ could´ve done the same. He could save the dancing for 2-3 songs like Wanna be-Billie Jean and Dangerous.

I rather watch Prince full live O2 DVD when it comes out than Mike lip-syncing to a History Concert-it gets boring really fast.

I said that wrong. I don't mean a literal sit, I mean that they just stand there. Moving around is fine, but I like action, I like raw action that makes me excited, and dancing and singing, for me, is very exciting.

I understand but there is zero excitement watching someone lip-sync for 2 hours.

I think MJ had really bad advicers at that time. Someone should have told him Mike ok will do less concerts and you sing more live you cannot lip almost the whole concert think of your legacy has a performer. But the Yes man said Yes of course you can do it as long has the money rolls...

I pray he rehearsed "This is it" live. I was a little uneasy when it looked like he was lip-syncing TDCAU.

So there you go both artist were great live. They did the right thing step done with the dancing and give it all with the voice.
MJ could´ve done the same. He could save the dancing for 2-3 songs like Wanna be-Billie Jean and Dangerous.

I rather watch Prince full live O2 DVD when it comes out than Mike lip-syncing to a History Concert-it gets boring really fast.

There are different ways Michael could perform live and not put as much emphises on dancing as he did at the peak of his powers. Michael always struted on stage (like Mick Jagger), and could of done more of that and just struck some cool poses etc. Michael's a natural dancer, so I think it would be impossible for him to never have done a spin, or kick or a robot move in a song. Anyway will never know what could have been as Michael is no longer with us. The This Is It rehearsal film will be something none of us have seen yet, but it still won't have the same impact as see Michael doing that concert at the O2 would have been, lip-synced or live.

Michael did lip-sync on his last two tours, I wish he hadn't but I still feel blessed to have seen Michael close up on all three of his solo tours and I loved all of the Michael Jackson tours I attended.

I pray he rehearsed "This is it" live. I was a little uneasy when it looked like he was lip-syncing TDCAU.

That short clip of TDCAU looked lip-synced to me. I think some songs would have been lip-synced and other wouldn't have been like on the Dangerous Tour.

Even if we get some day Victory and BAd 88 on dvd we won´t get to see Stranger in Moscow, Who is it, Whatever Happens, Butterflies etc performande live and I think this is a real pitty. Why hasn´t Mike thought about his legacy and performande at least a couple of these songs live? I don´t care where he would´ve performande them. Mike had a stage at Neverland. He could ´ve filmed while he was performing just for himself Who is it , Stranger in Moscow live just for his fans and legacy.

When I go to a concert its the music which encapsulates me. I look at the performer, often get into it sooooooo much I shut my eyes and just let it flow through me - my mind often wanders to the song and its meanings for me and the personal historical context.

I have been to concerts where they have had the most amazing visuals, dancers, screens the works and to be honest when I then focus on that I come out and feel as if the music hasnt truly gone to my soul because of the other distractions. Often when I go to a concert where there is heavy visuals I try to get tickets for two nights. One to appreciate the visuals and the other just to inhale from every part of me the music.

The only time lip sync bothers me is when we have some manufactured rubbish who has never sang unaided on their music or ever sung live without it.

I personally think when someone has done their apprenticeship, has a god given talent and has worked hard most of their life - we should for them in their later years to have earned and get away with lip sync.

For me, Michael is firstly a singer and his dancing is secondary. I know some fans won't like seperating those two things because after all, Michael has always been the full package. How can anyone who really enjoys Michael's music be bored of him simply walking around the stage and singing?

While you can replay Michael dancing the same moves again and again, how many times do we get to hear Michael singing his songs in different variations? There's nothing like hearing an artist like Michael sing live. His vocals, the way he improvises on the spot or plays around with the original melody. No two performances of the same song are ever the same. I don't care he doesn't sound 'perfect', or if it's breathy or whatever. That's part of the magic and atmosphere of live concerts - and that's why I value live singing in concerts over dancing any day.

Wow.
I shouldn't really be stunned, but I thought I was on a *fan* board.
I'm honestly way too busy watchng his body from the neck down to see his dance moves to care what his lips are doing.
It's not like we're talking about Milli Vinilli.
I love the HIStory tour. I thought it was wonderful.
I love the Bad and Dangerous tours as well.
At the end of the day, I really don't give two sh*ts what anyone else thinks about Michael or his legacy.

I have watched it a number of times and i know he wasn't lip-syncing. His voice is breaking during loads of his songs because of the dancing but i don't really mind that. Do you think he is miming here? www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiIbb5kxceE

I've had this concert in video/DVD for years, and Michael is lip-syncing all of the songs except Wanna Be Startin Somethin and the Jackson 5 medley. Also Michael only sings the end parts of You Are Not Alone, Billie Jean and Beat It live.

This is a great performance of Stranger In Moscow, but it would have been even better if Michael had sang it live.

Wow.
I shouldn't really be stunned, but I thought I was on a *fan* board.
I'm honestly way too busy watchng his body from the neck down to see his dance moves to care what his lips are doing.
It's not like we're talking about Milli Vinilli.
I love the HIStory tour. I thought it was wonderful.
I love the Bad and Dangerous tours as well.
At the end of the day, I really don't give two sh*ts what anyone else thinks about Michael or his legacy.

Agreed. :yes:

Does the lip sync thing really matter?

What we wouldnt give to have him just here in this world now.

I've had this concert in video/DVD for years, and Michael is lip-syncing all of the songs except Wanna Be Startin Somethin and the Jackson 5 medley. Also Michael only sings the end parts of You Are Not Alone, Billie Jean and Beat It live.

This is a great performance of Stranger In Moscow, but it would have been even better if Michael had sang it live.

Yeah i'm after watching YANA in Germany and i have to admit he is miming here, the end is great when he sings live but the rest is a little dissapointing.

I have watched it a number of times and i know he wasn't lip-syncing. His voice is breaking during loads of his songs because of the dancing but i don't really mind that. Do you think he is miming here? www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiIbb5kxceE

He IS miming in this clip.. there is absolutely no live 'strain', 'tearing' or 'wear' noticable on his voice in this clip. It`s just the album version (or the 'tour-version' of it, still studio-made)

There was an occasion were Mike sang a part of scream live, but that wasn`t throughout the full tour.

Several other parts of songs were also live, for example the beginning and ending of beat it, ending of dangerous and the ending of smooth criminal... but again only a few lines.

His vocals, the way he improvises on the spot or plays around with the original melody. No two performances of the same song are ever the same. I don't care he doesn't sound 'perfect', or if it's breathy or whatever. That's part of the magic and atmosphere of live concerts

That's exactly what I think, and that is what was missing from Michael's tours in the 1990's. I wish Michael had never worked with Kenny Ortaga, he contributed to making Michael's tours in the 1990's a bit to "showbiz" as the spontinous part of Michael the live artist when missing even though I loved both the Dangerous and HIStory tours.

Good point. It would matter if Michael was still with us, but as you have kind of pointed out. I would have preferred Michael in this world now lip-syning on tour, than no longer having him with us. I don't know why this topic has been brought up, because Michael is no longer with us, and he has left an amazing body of work both recorded and live.

......and I expect most of you thought he should be serving the ice-creams as well............lol.

Exactly. You know, I would have done anything to have seen him live, and trust me, I wouldn't have cared whether he had been lip syncing or not, just being there and seeing him perform would have been enough for me.

some artists employ a lipsynch co-ordinator so when theyre on stage it looks like theyre really singing.

He IS miming in this clip.. there is absolutely no live 'strain', 'tearing' or 'wear' noticable on his voice in this clip. It`s just the album version (or the 'tour-version' of it, still studio-made)

There was an occasion were Mike sang a part of scream live, but that wasn`t throughout the full tour.

Several other parts of songs were also live, for example the beginning and ending of beat it, ending of dangerous and the ending of smooth criminal... but again only a few lines.

I didn't think he was miming in that clip i just thought he sang it very well. So do you know if he was doing scream live in dublin.

Yes it does! Eitherwise we wouldn´t have this discussion. For me and a lot of other MJ Fans MJ doesn´t exist as a performer past Dangerous anymore.

I have no live material to watch after the Dangerous Concerts that is really a pity.
And even his Dangerous performances on TV shows like Remember the Time was 100 % lip syncing and he was sitting on a chair during that performance he could´ve at least sung live.

I honestly feel this is disrespectful and rude.
This is a man who put his blood, sweat, tears, heart, and soul into everything he ever gave us asking only for love in return.
Build a bridge and get the f*ck over it.
Ya don't like his concerts, then don't watch 'em.

I would have paid to watch him just sleep on stage.
The most important fact for me is being close to him. Showing up to show I care.
That is how I show him I love him.
For this fan he isn't *just some guy who can sing and dance real well*.

Yes it does! Eitherwise we wouldn´t have this discussion. For me and a lot of other MJ Fans MJ doesn´t exist as a performer past Dangerous anymore.

I have no live material to watch after the Dangerous Concerts that is really a pity.
And even his Dangerous performances on TV shows like Remember the Time was 100 % lip syncing and he was sitting on a chair during that performance he could´ve at least sung live.

He sang live at the MSG concerts 2001.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back