Michael - The Official New Album - Out December 14th - General Discussion Thread

Which tracks are you most looking forward to hearing in full/Want on Album!

• All I Need

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Carry On

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Breaking News

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Monster

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Much Too Soon

Votes: 66 71.0%
  • Do You Know Where Your Children Are

Votes: 68 73.1%
  • Another Day

Votes: 76 81.7%
  • Hold My Hand

Votes: 54 58.1%
  • A Place With No Name

Votes: 65 69.9%
  • Love Never Felt So Good

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Blue Gangsta

Votes: 57 61.3%

• Total voters
Re: The Official New Album Thread - Discussion Only - ALL DISCUSSION HERE PLEASE

Justin Bieber & Lady Gaga outselling MJ in the 1st week? Don't make me laugh. Bieber is a no talent hack. He won't be around in a few years.

MJ's music is timeless. Every new MJ album (that's featured original material) has debuted at number 1, or has gone to number 1.

This time around will be no different

Re: The Official New Album Thread - Discussion Only - ALL DISCUSSION HERE PLEASE

wowow...

nothing for sure... yet??? :blink:

geeezzzz

owowowowww!! Beat it on my radio!! Great!!! MJ's always around, one way or the other :D

i said Oprah is here just in time to compete against promoting this new album, as Michael met many adversities around time of promotions. that's staying on subject, even if it's adding a new twist. this is a discussion thread, as the title of the thread said. talking about the Beatles and all, in this case, was still in the spirit of all that MJ has accomplihsed in light of adversity, as it relates to what MJ has to and still has to deal with, when compared to other artists, when it comes to time for promotion. it's all intertwined, and it is how many convos go in real life. there are other members on here who complained about stifling definitions of being on topic, like what you are referring to. i am not the only one. it is how human beings talk, when they are having a convo on a subject. not just asking when the album is coming out. that's how a discussion goes. just getting info, as you are saying, can be done in that other thread, where it's limited strictly to the announcement of release info.

I agree. It is a pity we cannot discuss and can have a good conversation with interesting twists as we are discussing Michael's new album against the more than likely media biased against it- as we have been witnessing with Winfrey. I think your posts are always thought provoking and great discussion starters, and on topic, imo. Oh well, It is a shame it is not allowed here. :(

I agree. It is a pity we cannot discuss and can have a good conversation with interesting twists as we are discussing Michael's new album against the more than likely media biased against it- as we have been witnessing with Winfrey. I think your posts are always thought provoking and great discussion starters, and on topic, imo. Oh well, It is a shame it is not allowed here. :(

May it not perhaps be time to separate new album discussion into its own subforum? Upon release, I'm sure there will be multiple threads and discussions regarding different songs, themes, covert art, etc. Since there already seems to be such varying opinions regarding this album, it would prevent the constant bickering (if you don't want to discuss a various subject, don't open the post) yet still allow all viewpoints to be covered.

Just an idea :)

It had singles on radio and it had major promo - it was on the same level as a new album. And it got outsold. Simple facts.

Justin Bieber & Lady Gaga outselling MJ in the 1st week? Don't make me laugh. Bieber is a no talent hack. He won't be around in a few years.

MJ's music is timeless. Every new MJ album (that's featured original material) has debuted at number 1, or has gone to number 1.

This time around will be no different

This is 2010, not everyone thinks like that, whatever the case may be, the fact is both of those artists have a rabid, dedicated fanbase, that will go out and purchase their albums.

I understand what u are trying to say but, being treated as and actually being are two different things!

Simple fact is that thriller 25 wasn't a new album! It had the old songs and some of them were remixed! Billboard saw it for what it was (A album celebrating a anniversary) and didn't consider it a new album for that reason!

I'm not talking about sells here! But am the comparison to it to a new album and it just isn't so!

Last edited:

It had singles on radio and it had major promo - it was on the same level as a new album. And it got outsold. Simple facts.

Old songs + remix = new music

I loved your math.

It would be unfair to count Thriller 25 as a new album. 110 million ppl already owned most of what was on there. Remixes aren't going to entice many ppl, they never do - see every remix album in history. Plus it had just the one single in the US with no video. It had promo but nothing close to a new album that spawns singles, videos, tours, etc. Fact is, to sell that many copies of a re-release was a great achievement.

Why are some of you so concerned who the media is calling the new.... whatever, or outsell. You can allways find a number to put some above Michael. But in 20 years from now people will still talk about Michael and compare him to the current teen pop. and the gaga, bieber, ..... (put in a name) is gone and replaced.

Yeah and it was. The promo campaign for T25 was excellent, though mainly focused on the USA: MJ themed TV shows, album promos on TV, 'thrillicious' drinks ads LOL, that thing where you put your own face in the Thriller video.
It was huge and T25 did sell very well but was outsold in the US by Jack Johnson. Globally it was easily the biggest seller in its first and second week of release.

I don't like it when people quote US figures and stats as though they are the be all and end all, especially when they're not resident in the US themselves (e.g. when I see a UK paper quoting US figures as though they're UK figures or as though they're global!)... It's simply not true.

The worst thing is when MJ fans are offended and stamp their feet when somebody suggests MJ may not defeat all the competition. They ascert that he will simply "because he's Michael JAckson!!!" Wrong. Facts are facts. Sales are sales. MJ will sell what he sells and the competition will sell what they sell. MJ is not guaranteed to defeat the competition and Sony will be very aware of who they are putting him up against. There is a LOT of competition in November and through to Xmas so they will be planning the release very carefully.

Last edited:

http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums-2009.htm

As in 2009, when MJ's new album drops, he will sell more, cumulatively across all of his album catalogue, than any other artist.

For sure, an artist may sell more on one album, in one country, than MJ's new album. Robbie Williams/Take That for instance will do very well in the UK, but they will do nothing in America. Similarly, the 'latest' big thing in the US may outsell MJ on one album, and then do nothing in Europe. This happens all of the time.

When it comes to the crunch though, as we say here in England, MJ has a truly 'Worldwide' appeal - possibly like no other artist before or since - and he has a catalogue that any other artist would kill for. I feel sure that, should his album drop late this year (and be as good as we hope it to be), his cumulative sales over the next 12 months, will outstrip all other 'pretenders' to his throne.

Yeah and it was. The promo campaign for T25 was excellent, though mainly focused on the USA: MJ themed TV shows, album promos on TV, 'thrillicious' drinks ads LOL, that thing where you put your own face in the Thriller video.
It was huge and T25 did sell very well but was outsold in the US by Jack Johnson. Globally it was easily the biggest seller in its first and second week of release.

I don't like it when people quote US figures and stats as though they are the be all and end all, especially when they're not resident in the US themselves (e.g. when I see a UK paper quoting US figures as though they're UK figures or as though they're global!)... It's simply not true.

The worst thing is when MJ fans are offended and stamp their feet when somebody suggests MJ may not defeat all the competition. They ascert that he will simply "because he's Michael JAckson!!!" Wrong. Facts are facts. Sales are sales. MJ will sell what he sells and the competition will sell what they sell. MJ is not guaranteed to defeat the competition and Sony will be very aware of who they are putting him up against. There is a LOT of competition in November and through to Xmas so they will be planning the release very carefully.

Here here.

EDIT: What people have to remember is, we haven't heard any of the 'new' music onethe album; it could be terrible or it could be brilliant - we just don't know and so to speculate and say that Michael Jackson will be number one and beat all other competition out there is simply naiivety.

Also, sales figures will depend on promotion, making people aware that the album is out there. Nobody will buy it if they don't know it exists. If I was being true and honest to myself, I really am sceptical as to how many 'non-fans' will buy the album. The number of people I've spoken to and told about the new project - they've looked at me incredibly puzzled and asked "How can he make a new album if he's dead?". People don't understand that Michael has hundreds if not thousands of songs stored away in his vault. My point being, the general public (in my view) will only be bothered about Michael's songs that are already out there and established as great tunes that will stand the test of time. I don't think they'll be interested in what else has to come out.

I may be very wrong and I probably am. Sales figures etc are not my area of expertise and I don't research into them, I'm merely expressing my opinion. So I don't mind if people want to show me figures and the like to prove me wrong.

I won't attack you ;)

Last edited:

If memory serves, T25 outsold Jack Johnson in the US too in it's first weeks, but Billboard wouldn't include the album on it's top 200 chart because it wasn't considered a "new album" (even with the remixes and etc). Sony fought for it, but Billboard ultimately gave the #1 to Jack Johnson, but T25 was number #1 top catalog album chart.

If memory serves, T25 outsold Jack Johnson in the US too in it's first weeks, but Billboard wouldn't include the album on it's top 200 chart because it wasn't considered a "new album" (even with the remixes and etc). Sony fought for it, but Billboard ultimately gave the #1 to Jack Johnson, but T25 was number #1 top catalog album chart.

memory serves incorrectly. if included on the billboard 200 MJ would have been #2 behind Jack Johnson.

So it's proof against the argument that MJ will always outsell the competition. Not even the monstrous T25 campaign scored him a debut #1.

We have to face that as time passes MJ releases will be less and less blockbuster. It's the way it will work.

HOWEVER I do believe this album of fresh unheard material, with a single, video and the right marketing online will be his final blockbuster. I reckon it will be a brilliant final chapter in his chart and sales career and ADD to his legacy, rather than just keeping it alive...

I think with $250 million laid out to the Estate by Sony just to distribute the music, and only so many ways you can re-package back catalog albums like Thriller and Bad that have already been packaged and re-packaged, the NEW album will be THE major part of their 7 year deal. If they didn't care about the quality of the release they'd have just released the first 10 unreleased MJ tunes they found in the first few months following his death, capitalized on the hype, probably have sold 20 million copies and have left the world a half assed posthumous album. The time, delays and care that seems to be going into a.) the music and b.) the marketing preparations is very exciting to think about.

What has happened to this forum?
Why do you underestimate Michael that much and why should he be compared to anyone?
I don't care about other artists' sales, by the way whoever wants to buy Michael's album he will or else so be it!
The last couple of months in this forum we seem to care about anybody except for Michael himself!

Thriller 25 had one unreleased song and a bunch of crappy remixes. You can't judge how "blockbuster" his releases are based on that horrid re-release. And even if you did, who else could reach number 2 in the US charts with the re-release of a 25 year old album??

So it's proof against the argument that MJ will always outsell the competition. Not even the monstrous T25 campaign scored him a debut #1.

We have to face that as time passes MJ releases will be less and less blockbuster. It's the way it will work.

HOWEVER I do believe this album of fresh unheard material, with a single, video and the right marketing online will be his final blockbuster. I reckon it will be a brilliant final chapter in his chart and sales career and ADD to his legacy, rather than just keeping it alive...

...If they didn't care about the quality of the release they'd have just released the first 10 unreleased MJ tunes they found in the first few months following his death, capitalized on the hype,... ...and have left the world a half assed posthumous album. The time, delays and care that seems to be going into a.) the music and b.) the marketing preparations is very exciting to think about.

Agreed.

(I think 20million was way over the top though but let's not go there. Might upset the natives who are still hoping for this album to outsell Thriller!:doh:)

I don't know who is Jack Johnson and I don't really care..

Yeah 20 million was an exaggerated figure to make a point lol. If i'd said 10 million people would say "but this album will sell 10 million"... Point i meant was rushing a July/August 2009 release would have caused BIGGER sales than it'll get now... But in the long term it would have negatively impacted on every aspect of his career and legacy. They're doing it the right way and if that means delays, so be it.

memory serves incorrectly. if included on the billboard 200 MJ would have been #2 behind Jack Johnson.

I think with $250 million laid out to the Estate by Sony just to distribute the music, and only so many ways you can re-package back catalog albums like Thriller and Bad that have already been packaged and re-packaged, the NEW album will be THE major part of their 7 year deal. If they didn't care about the quality of the release they'd have just released the first 10 unreleased MJ tunes they found in the first few months following his death, capitalized on the hype, probably have sold 20 million copies and have left the world a half assed posthumous album. The time, delays and care that seems to be going into a.) the music and b.) the marketing preparations is very exciting to think about.

But as I said earlier, 'Worldwide' MJ will likely beat the competition.

http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums-week09-2008.htm

http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums-week45-2009.htm

Didn't 'This Is It' also debut at number 1 on the BB200, beating all competition?

There will always be 'The latest pretender' for the media to hype up: Su BO, Gaga, Beiber, et al, before they all 'run along' to be replaced with the latest 'fad'. They'll burn bright for a time, whilst the media 'over-hypes' what they really have to offer, but they will soon fade. The 'massive' Jack Johnson, for instance, has probably had his day already.

MJ, who had 'real' talent and uniqueness, will continue to shine bright for as long as music is important to the World. I'm not sure you appreciate this fully.

Thriller 25 had one unreleased song and a bunch of crappy remixes. You can't judge how "blockbuster" his releases are based on that horrid re-release. And even if you did, who else could reach number 2 in the US charts with the re-release of a 25 year old album??

so true. what a ridiculous argument to make by using that album.

Yeah 20 million was an exaggerated figure to make a point lol. If i'd said 10 million people would say "but this album will sell 10 million"... Point i meant was rushing a July/August 2009 release would have caused BIGGER sales than it'll get now... But in the long term it would have negatively impacted on every aspect of his career and legacy. They're doing it the right way and if that means delays, so be it.

Agreed.
That's why when other major artists starting announcing their November release schedules a while back, I suggest then that Sony may delay the release until February / March next year because there will be much less competition then, and that will result in much better chart stats. Not only that, but the album will have more of the spotlight and possibly be received better by the general public. Sometime an album's 'success' is as much about perception as sales.

its nice to read but you are all so offtopic :)

whats goin on with the new album

ela how went the meeting?

The US is dominated by HipiHop and Dance Pop right now, Lil Wayne sold a million in his first week, something that even Mike has never done.

The US is dominated by HipiHop and Dance Pop right now, Lil Wayne sold a million in his first week, something that even Mike has never done.

Yeah, and ONE of Michael's albums has sold more albums than any other artist ever will.

Last edited:

Sad to say but since Michael's death, his popularity has grown here in the US. He's been more accepted. Especially with the younger age group. Just look at last years sales in the US. And that was with music that has already been released.

Now you wonder why the Estate is trying to modernize the sound of this new album and take their time on it? Well there's your answer.

If the music is GOOD, QUALITY, and MODERN, there will be no denying it.

Back