Michael Jackson's Vision' DVD Boxed Set Available Everywhere Monday November 22

Smooth Criminal is the full version from Moonwalker which is the first time they've offered it that way.

the full version was on history on film vol 2 & was also longer than the VISION version :) the version on VISION has been shortened during the no music sequence.

I watched mine today and I love it. I am very grateful to have all his videos. I wish he would have done ones for Human Nature and Wanna Be Startin Something. I love those songs. I saw One More Chance for the first time and I liked it. I think they would have had more shots of Michael but I liked the idea of the audience on the stage and Michael at the tables.

I miss him.:(

I think there is one for "wanna be started something" but michael isnt in it. Its just some like aerobic ppl dancing in the street or somethim like that.....

I still havent got mine :(

Me neither. And I ordered it last Friday. I'm starting to be fed up with my shop. (Others I know and ordered the same day already got it from them so I don't know if they run out of it or what. I ordered other stuff as well, so maybe that's what stopping it.)

I preordered mine on Amazon(US) in the early Nov. But I still haven't received it.

Anyone notice that it says NTSC (on the piece of paper) even though I'm in a PAL region?

Me neither. And I ordered it last Friday. I'm starting to be fed up with my shop. (Others I know and ordered the same day already got it from them so I don't know if they run out of it or what. I ordered other stuff as well, so maybe that's what stopping it.)

I sent them an e-mail. They really ran out of it, it seems..... They are waiting for their supplier to deliver it. (Someone I know ordered Vision from the same e-shop the same day as me and she already got it. Seems I was the unlucky one and they ran out of it before me.)

I sent them an e-mail. They really ran out of it, it seems..... They are waiting for their supplier to deliver it. (Someone I know ordered Vision from the same e-shop the same day as me and she already got it. Seems I was the unlucky one and they ran out of it before me.)
which shop?

Michael Jackson Vision DVD - More problems

So it seems that there are a whole world of problems with this DVD release. I can't believe Sony have managed to get this so badly wrong.

This is from an Amazon review:

"There are several problems with the DVD. The formatting is the main problem. The videos show up on my T.V screen with two thick black bars at the side (like widescreen but on the sides) Some of the videos are like this, some are widescreen, some are fullscreen. The fullscreen videos feel stretched, and Michael's head is cut off at times.

Also, the box set claims to have remastered video and audio, which i don't believe for a second. Most of the videos are grainy. My other MJ dvd's are much better quality.

Some of the videos are shown in their edited forms. "You Are Not Alone" has had the scenes with Michael with wings cut out."

There's also no 5.1 surround sound setting... for the worlds greatest exponent of the musical short-film artform... INCREDIBLE!

Michael was recording his videos on 35mm back in the days of Billie Jean! He did that so his films would be FILMS! Not videos! And they'd be FUTURE-PROOF. They were recorded natively as FILMS. In 16:9. So why have most of the videos got a black box around the screen??? Why does Black or White (filmed by a FILM director) have a black box around it but Remember The Time (also filmed by a FILM director) not? How can MTV show these films in widescreen but the retail version can't?!?

I can't believe how sloppy this has all become.

Ágnes;3098352 said:
i see
(i heard Saturn has it since Friday for 9000,- :) )

Yeah, Alexandra also has it cheaper than Bookline and promising to deliver it within one day. I went with Bookline becasue I ordered other stuff as well, but maybe I will try somebody else next time.

TWYMMF quality is poor at some parts :(
No angel and no Michael's tear in WYBT:(
Too much yellow at some parts of Who Is It. Or is it only on my copy? :scratch:

The rest is OK, love APOM, Enjoy Yourself and OMC :)

I found it strange, we get prison version of TDCAU (with disclaimer, but still) and BOW was edited (they're no signs on those windows Michael's breaking). Why is that? Those signs made more sense of his 'madness' (you know what I mean by it:)) there.

I just got my DVD box set and I am soooo happy with it! Everything is so beautiful and first rate. From the cover art, the booklet, and of course all the short films are the highest quality you can imagine! I love all the introductions to the songs, that is so unique. And there are some surprises that I didn't expect like the ending of BAD- just great. Smooth Criminal is the full version from Moonwalker which is the first time they've offered it that way. Ghosts is great!
Oh yes ONE MORE CHANCE - just beautiful, Michael is so sexy and wonderful in it. Great concept, very cinematic, simple but gorgeous just like Michael.

It is a real treasure and so worth the price. I love it so much that I've ordered two more, one for my sister who has two kids that love Michael and my brother who also has two kids that love Michael.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it, because it is absolutely a real gem!!! Thank you Michael, and Sony/estate! :punk:

Smooth Criminal is not the full version from moonwalker. There is a small cut in the middle of the blue screen scene.

Re: Michael Jackson Vision DVD - More problems

So it seems that there are a whole world of problems with this DVD release. I can't believe Sony have managed to get this so badly wrong.

This is from an Amazon review:

"There are several problems with the DVD. The formatting is the main problem. The videos show up on my T.V screen with two thick black bars at the side (like widescreen but on the sides) Some of the videos are like this, some are widescreen, some are fullscreen. The fullscreen videos feel stretched, and Michael's head is cut off at times.

Also, the box set claims to have remastered video and audio, which i don't believe for a second. Most of the videos are grainy. My other MJ dvd's are much better quality.

Some of the videos are shown in their edited forms. "You Are Not Alone" has had the scenes with Michael with wings cut out."

There's also no 5.1 surround sound setting... for the worlds greatest exponent of the musical short-film artform... INCREDIBLE!

Michael was recording his videos on 35mm back in the days of Billie Jean! He did that so his films would be FILMS! Not videos! And they'd be FUTURE-PROOF. They were recorded natively as FILMS. In 16:9. So why have most of the videos got a black box around the screen??? Why does Black or White (filmed by a FILM director) have a black box around it but Remember The Time (also filmed by a FILM director) not? How can MTV show these films in widescreen but the retail version can't?!?

I can't believe how sloppy this has all become.

Sorry, but that guy is totaly cluless. Don't belive the crap he and others here say.

1. For so long time many people complained (not only here), but general public, why the WS videos are presented in 4:3 and not anamorph 16:9.
Now they finaly did that.
the whole dvd is 16:9 (ws) compiled. the menus and the ws videos like Jam,RTT; wii, and ect. are perssented in 16:9, meaning no black bars on top and bottom (except wii cause it's has ratio of 2,35:1).
the 4:3 full screen videos get black barrs on the sides. and if that smarty over there has set his tv properly, every time he watches a 4:3 movie on ws-tv he'll get black barrs on the sides. So to match all videos the black bars are added in the dvd, so your tv won't have to do that.

2. the videos are from new transfers used for the Number ones and visionary dvds. the thriller videos were remastered for the thriller 25.
All videos are shot on film and film IS grainy. the History and dangerous dvds are blurry, unsharpen and are from dirty prints. the new transfers are better. cleaned, little to much sharpened and color corected.
I think the dangerous videos, that were not on number ones and visionary, are taken just from the dangerous dvd.

when you compare the history dvds, number ones and visionary, not just by watching, but frame to frame, you'll see that the transfers are different.

3. few videos are either in differen edit or new audio mix is used.

YANA has two versions. one was the history dvd version and the regular tv version with no angel Michael.

TDCAU (prison) is a slightly differen edit, then the two versions shown on tv. Still not the full uncensored violent version.

WYBT was edited new and for worst I think. the dangerous tour footage looks great, but the MTV 10th is bad quality and the ending is changed with some logo blured segment.

BOW is the original version without graphites on the windows. they were added for the dangerous dvd later.

Who is it has new audio mix. the audio on Dangerous dvd was slightly on one part different, but in all same as the album version.
this time they added new effects and arranged new.

Speed demon to me its was pointless to use the full segment. it takes time and space, what could have been used for something else.

I still havnt seen it in full, so that are the few differences i notice for now.
overall, all videos are presented in full version as possible.

4. no 5.1.
THANK YOU SONY for not puting a 5.1 mix like you did on the history and dangerous dvds. THEY WERE HORRIBLE. it's such pain to listen. uncompresed stereo is the best they can do.
5.1 upmix never sounds good. better job does the prologicII upmix on your audio receiver.

5. Film is shot in 4:3 and then mapped in ws. True widescreen video has either no black barrs on top and bottom or when its in ratio over 2,35:1 then it has barrs.
no tv channel has showed the ws videos or the fullscreen videos in 16:9.
in some tv specials they were croped.

Even if one day there is a blu-ray relese of his videos, the 4:3 videos will be blackboxed like they are here. they will make new transfers for the Hi-def version, but the full screen videos don't let much space to enhance them for 16:9 without losing importand information. and i doubt the film negatives have any more information then the Original Aspect Ratio of the videos used.

So nothing wrong with the dvds. Overall the video and audio quality is very good. only on few places here and there is some degradation. And because of the letterboxing of the full screen videos, the resolution is slightly smaller and the quality suffers.
everyone who says the History and dangerous dvds have better video quality, don't know what he is talking about. they were full with scratches, dirt, blurry and the colors were dull.
Due the blurryness on the previous dvds, the stretching on the HDtvs make the video appear more soft and to some it looks better. because the new transfers show more of the original grain and the intended sharpening then looks more bad on HDtvs.
Keep in mind that this is a dvd. and dvds are conceived for SD-tv's.
when you watch them on HDTV and especially with some stupid upscale enhancements they look even worst.

That's how I see it.

Last edited:
I found it strange, we get prison version of TDCAU (with disclaimer, but still) and BOW was edited (they're no signs on those windows Michael's breaking). Why is that? Those signs made more sense of his 'madness' (you know what I mean by it:)) there.

that's how the video's supposed to be. the signs were added later, when Michael was accused of this video being too violent for no reason. so the signs were added to give those critics the reason.

The BoW without the sings is the original version. The one with the signs on the windows is the edited one!

lom kit;3098426 said:
Sorry, but that guy is totaly cluless. Don't belive the crap he and others here say.

1. For so long time many people complained (not only here), but general public, why the WS videos are presented in 4:3 and not anamorph 16:9.
Now they finaly did that.
the whole dvd is 16:9 (ws) compiled. the menus and the ws videos like Jam,RTT; wii, and ect. are perssented in 16:9, meaning no black bars on top and bottom (except wii cause it's has ratio of 2,35:1).
the 4:3 full screen videos get black barrs on the sides. and if that smarty over there has set his tv properly, every time he watches a 4:3 movie on ws-tv he'll get black barrs on the sides. So to match all videos the black bars are added in the dvd, so your tv won't have to do that.

2. the videos are from new transfers used for the Number ones and visionary dvds. the thriller videos were remastered for the thriller 25.
All videos are shot on film and film IS grainy. the History and dangerous dvds are blurry, unsharpen and are from dirty prints. the new transfers are better. cleaned, little to much sharpened and color corected.
I think the dangerous videos, that were not on number ones and visionary, are taken just from the dangerous dvd.

when you compare the history dvds, number ones and visionary, not just by watching, but frame to frame, you'll see that the transfers are different.

3. few videos are either in differen edit or new audio mix is used.

YANA has two versions. one was the history dvd version and the regular tv version with no angel Michael.

TDCAU (prison) is a slightly differen edit, then the two versions shown on tv. Still not the full uncensored violent version.

WYBT was edited new and for worst I think. the dangerous tour footage looks great, but the MTV 10th is bad quality and the ending is changed with some logo blured segment.

BOW is the original version without graphites on the windows. they were added for the dangerous dvd later.

Who is it has new audio mix. the audio on Dangerous dvd was slightly on one part different, but in all same as the album version.
this time they added new effects and arranged new.

Speed demon to me its was pointless to use the full segment. it takes time and space, what could have been used for something else.

I still havnt seen it in full, so that are the few differences i notice for now.
overall, all videos are presented in full version as possible.

4. no 5.1.
THANK YOU SONY for not puting a 5.1 mix like you did on the history and dangerous dvds. THEY WERE HORRIBLE. it's such pain to listen. uncompresed stereo is the best they can do.
5.1 upmix never sounds good. better job does the prologicII upmix on your audio receiver.

5. Film is shot in 4:3 and then mapped in ws. True widescreen video has either no black barrs on top and bottom or when its in ratio over 2,35:1 then it has barrs.
no tv channel has showed the ws videos or the fullscreen videos in 16:9.
in some tv specials they were croped.

Even if one day there is a blu-ray relese of his videos, the 4:3 videos will be blackboxed like they are here. they will make new transfers for the Hi-def version, but the full screen videos don't let much space to enhance them for 16:9 without losing importand information. and i doubt the film negatives have any more information then the Original Aspect Ratio of the videos used.

So nothing wrong with the dvds. Overall the video and audio quality is very good. only on few places here and there is some degradation. And because of the letterboxing of the full screen videos, the resolution is slightly smaller and the quality suffers.
everyone who says the History and dangerous dvds have better video quality, don't know what he is talking about. they were full with scratches, dirt, blurry and the colors were dull.
Due the blurryness on the previous dvds, the stretching on the HDtvs make the video appear more soft and to some it looks better. because the new transfers show more of the original grain and the intended sharpening then looks more bad on HDtvs.
Keep in mind that this is a dvd. and dvds are conceived for SD-tv's.
when you watch them on HDTV and especially with some stupid upscale enhancements they look even worst.

That's how I see it.

Thank you for your well-founded and comprehensive opinion (even if being based on your first viewing only).

One can only hope that this will move those wannabe experts who yammer and moan about the Vision DVD’s quality to come back to Earth and appreciate the improvements and enhancements done.

that's how the video's supposed to be. the signs were added later, when Michael was accused of this video being too violent for no reason. so the signs were added to give those critics the reason.
respect77 said:
The BoW without the sings is the original version. The one with the signs on the windows is the edited one!

Thank you! :flowers:
My bad, in the meantime I figured it out by watching and comparing all versions I've got.
It's all because I mostly watch Dangerous The Short Films... :innocent:

I have noticed that many people still do not have Vision and would like to know all the differences between Vision and the videos already released before. So, I made a list of all changes/errors on Vision:

Bad - included in the end are the credits

The Way You Make Me Feel - grunts and extra noises made by Michael can be heard although in some parts of the video it becomes very grainy

Smooth Criminal - this version comes from the Moonwalker film but cuts out most of the time when there is no music playing

Black Or White - is the original version without the racist grafitti added on to the car windows and shop door

In The Closet - during the middle of the video a green flash can be briefly seen

Heal The World - has an added intro which can be seen on Dangerous - The Short Films

Will You Be There - a few seconds of the audio at the beginning is missing and the ending is different to the one previously released, as there is no angel flying down to Michael, instead he sings on his own

Gone Too Soon - is the version found on Michael Jackson's YouTube page and not the one previously rleased as seen on Dangerous - The Short Films

Scream - the part where Michael says 'f*ck*ng' is is kept in

You Are Not Alone - scenes where Michael is naked with wings on his back have been cut out

Blood On The Dance Floor - the Refugee Camp Remix version of the song is used, instead of the original

Ghosts - is the five minute edit of the movie with the same name

Can You Feel It - has the credits included in the end

They Don't Care About Us (Prison Version) - has a disclaimer at the beginning plus different scenes are put in than those which were first broadcasted on TV, such as Michael making hand gestures

Personally, i love my Vision set. Yeah, there are few strange edits in it (wybt seems pointlessly edited) but overall, its great. All those amazing shorts films in one set. I was even surprised by how much i enjoyed the OMC vid, considering i've never been a huge fan of that song. I've read quite a few things where ppl are saying its not him cos u never see his face properly and all that crap. But, those if us who understand how filming works realise thats because they only shot for a little while so only got those camera angles before filming was cut short. The close ups and possibly more fo a story were most likely due to be filmed at a later date. I heard that what we have seen was only meant to be a small part of the vid and that they planned to shoot in other locations too. does anyone know if this is true?

They Don't Care About Us (Prison Version) - has a disclaimer at the beginning plus different scenes are put in than those which were first broadcasted on TV, such as Michael making hand gestures

Thanks.

Of TDCAU I like the version the most when Michael makes hand gestures. :) I think that was cut out from the TV version - I'm not sure why, maybe they deemed it violent too? (The hand gestures look like he is loading a gun.)

Last edited:
Haven't watched it the whole way through yet, seen most of it though. Still not convinced of the remastered video quality as its still pretty grainy in my opinion and yes the going between black bars and full screen depending on video is annoying. But the sound is a lot better and still amazing to have all the short films on one set. Sure there are improvements to be made but its a purchase I am glad to have bought.

Back