Michael Jackson's Vision' DVD Boxed Set Available Everywhere Monday November 22

The lyrics caused controversy about the song in general which is why its now blanked out, and US radio stations were reluctant to play the song which is why the song did better in Europe. It wasn't very successful in the US. The Brazil version of the video is fine but it was the violence of the prison video that resulted in MTV refusing to play it. The images on the TV screens in the prison version show the police beating up African Amercians, the burning crosses of the KKK, and genocide. In the UK it was only allowed on air after 9pm.

And this was all sooooo hypocritical from the media! There are much more violent and aggressive videos - videos that are violent self-servingly. TDCAU yes, has some violent scenes, but those are scenes from history. It won't hurt any child to know about that part of US and world history....

Also the fake controversy about "jew me, sue me/kick me, **** me" was ridiculous. Anybody who is able to comprehend lyrics on the level of a 5th grader, can tell it has nothing to do with antisemitism (on the contrary, actually).

I personally think they just wanted to find an excuse to sideline an MJ video - and a video that is critical of aspects of US history....

Sophielo;3095586 said:
Supermarkets only sell a selected amount of DVDs but this one should definitely be sold in supermarkets. All of MJs videos on one DVD for £17.99, its the perfect xmas present for any music fan.

I understand stock is limited in many supermarkets, but these are big supermarkets and they stocks rows and rows of music and film - that's why I went to them. They should have had Vision in stock, but they didn't.

Guess because of moderate horror (like others said) and also because of some sexuality (B or W ending, In the closet, for example).

yea i see :mello: now wondering why some hip hop videos are shown before 8pm:doh:

hence i wasnt allowed to watch thriller in my youth :lol:
but i remember when i first watched it with my mom ( maybe i was 8) i was scared

Music DVD Review: Michael Jackson's Vision
http://www.seattlepi.com/pop/430676_148901-blogcritics.org.html

Michael Jackson's Vision collects forty-two music videos, spread out over three DVDs. This isn't the first time Jackson's videos have been anthologized, but it is the most complete. Even casual fans will likely be very entertained by the vast array of short films, ten of which are making their DVD debut. The presentation is surprisingly no-frills, with wildly varying visual quality and only one audio option (PCM stereo).

The first two discs contain the bulk of the short films, arranged chronologically, with a very simple menu. There is a choice of viewing all uninterrupted, a random mix, or choosing individual songs from another menu. Disc one has sixteen shorts, including most of Jackson's most iconic classics, totaling one hour and fifty-two minutes. We see the progression from the earliest promo clips for songs from 1979's Off the Wall to the sophisticated productions of the Thriller and Bad era. The John Landis-directed "Thriller" is featured in its full fourteen minute glory. "Bad," directed by Martin Scorsese and featuring Wesley Snipes, is included in its complete eighteen minute form.

The '80s videos have aged the best. There are a few duds, including the over-reaching "Man In the Mirror," loaded with news footage documenting a wide variety of societal ills. A few straightforward performance clips, "Dirty Diana" and "Another Part of Me," pale in comparison to the more interesting concepts. Somewhat lesser seen videos will be fun for casual fans who might not be familiar with them. The ten minute "Speed Demon" is a claymation extravaganza, while "Liberian Girl" is so chock full of celebrity cameos they are all credited at the end of the video.

Disc two is even longer, with nineteen videos for a total of two hours and five minutes. Nearly half of them come from the 1991 album Dangerous. The easy highlight is John Landis' "Black or White," the full eleven minute version complete with the controversial car and storefront window smashing. Directed by John Singleton, the nine minute "Remember the Time" is still a hoot, with Eddie Murphy, Iman, and Magic Johnson. Not as familiar is David Fincher's elaborate "Who Is It," a highly underrated single but a fairly incoherent video. Also a bit more obscure is the sepia-toned "In the Closet."

The remainder of disc two is dominated by six videos from 1995's HIStory. While most fans have seen "Scream" (featuring Janet Jackson) and "You Are Not Alone" (featuring Lisa Marie Presley), there are a few forgotten gems from this era. "Stranger In Moscow," a classic song that became an undeserving flop single, is a moody black & white piece with cool slow-motion effects. The video for the ecology-themed "Earth Song" is as epic as the song itself, featuring striking backwards imagery of nature repairing itself.

In a very unfortunate decision, the terrific thirty-nine minute Michael Jackson's Ghosts is represented by a four minute edit. The reduced version serves as a video for the Blood On the Dance Floor (1997) song "Ghosts." The full mini-movie, co-written by Stephen King and directed by Stan Winston, features several songs and tons of impressive visual effects. To my knowledge, the full version has never been officially released on video outside of the United Kingdom. This was a missed opportunity by Sony to finally make it available on a wider basis.

The third disc is considered a bonus. At a mere thirty-five minutes with only seven videos, it's hard to understand why they didn't include more material. This would have been a good place for Captain EO, the aforementioned complete Michael Jackson's Ghosts, or perhaps some interview footage. The seven videos that are included come from different eras. The first three are actually by The Jacksons, including "Can You Feel It." This 1981 ten minute video bridged the gap between simple performance clips and the later elaborate productions.

"Say Say Say," with Paul McCartney, is a fun short featuring Jackson and the ex-Beatle as con men. The sole previously unreleased video in the entire collection, "One More Chance," is a very ho-hum affair. Jackson dances on tables at a nightclub, his back to the camera for the entire four minutes.

Some fans have wondered why there isn't a Blu-ray release of this collection. The only reason I can come up with is that the vast majority of these videos would look like crap on a high definition format. Most of them unfortunately look pretty bad, apparently transferred from a video master rather than original film elements.

Even the cinematic productions like "Thriller" and "Bad" are disconcertingly mediocre, looking no better than on previous video collections. I guess no one really considered at the time that these short promotional films would be reissued over and over on increasingly unforgiving formats. While the visual quality generally improves as the videos progress from the '70s to the '00s, even "Cry" from 2001's Invincible looks hazy.

Even if this is the very best these videos will ever look, it's disappointing that a surround sound mix was not created. The 2.0 stereo sounds fine, but it really makes the collection feel like a non-event. Michael Jackson's Vision contains about four and a half hours of content, retailing for $39.98. It's nice to have so many videos in one package, but all the material could have comfortably fit on two discs instead of three.

View the original article on blogcritics.org

Not as familiar is David Fincher's elaborate "Who Is It," a highly underrated single but a fairly incoherent video.

I love both the song (my favourite song of all times) and the video. I don't think it's incoherent. Yes, you wonder what it is about but that doesn't make it incoherent. Art often makes you wonder and lets everybody have an own interpretation if it. This is one of those things. And it's great!

I was looking at my box set, and I took the discs out to look at them and one is really scratched up! It's the first time I even took it out the box. So I will have to watch that to see if it skips. Not really happy about it though...

I think it would have been a good idea if they got the clip of Michael singing 2 Bad in Ghosts and made that as a seperate music video on Vision, as they did for Speed Demon & Come Together in Moonwalker. Anyone else agree?

I was looking at my box set, and I took the discs out to look at them and one is really scratched up! It's the first time I even took it out the box. So I will have to watch that to see if it skips. Not really happy about it though...
Yeah, mine are scratched too. They seem to play alright though.
You can do quite a lot of damage to a DVD before it'll stop playing properly. My brother used to leave his DVD's lying around outside the cases and sometimes he used to put cups on them. They survived, despite being scratched to death.

I've just watched all three discs of Vision. Once again I was reminded of why I'm a fan, and why I love Michael so much. Watching every single video was like being on a journey through his life and career. What's unique about Michael is how he so easily moves me from one emotion to another..

I see DSTYGE and I feel joyous, ready to dance the night away. Then comes SOOML, and my heart breaks. GITM, TWYMMF and Come Together make me feel all kinds of things I'd feel embarrassed to talk about on a public discussion forum, lol (girls, you know what I'm talking 'bout). And how about In The Closet? Damn, must've been hot in the desert cuz I feel the heat all the way to my couch..! :heat:

Then there's Smooth Criminal -a piece of art that easily stands the test of time. The settings, costumes, dance routine etc. are perfect! It's still, to this day, one of the best videos I've ever seen. WYBT, MITM and Gone Too Soon bring me to tears, simply beautiful. APOM brings out the slightly hysterical fan in me, Michael's performance is just so electrifying that I think I could faint like girls in the audience do!

RTT and Ghosts are visually beautiful, and have great choreographies. Jam makes me giggle, with MJ trying to teach Jordan some of his moves. Hilarious :D And Scream, to me, looks just as fresh as it did the first time I saw it in the 90's.

The passion behind TDCAU and Earth Song gets to me each and every time, they are such powerful and brilliant songs and the videos complement them. They deliver the message. That's one of the many things I love about MJ -he had meaningul things to say and wasn't afraid to express his thoughts in his songs.

I'm starting to ramble, sorry. I could go on and on about this stuff. Michael was truly a genius. I could talk about the picture quality, which people seem to be very interested in, but at this moment none of that matters to me. I'm so overwhelmed with emotions after spending hours watching my favorite music videos, watching the man that has been more significant in my life that I could ever explain in words. I'm so thankful for all these gifts, these jewels, he left us. I love and miss him, so so so much :cry:

Thank you, Michael :heart:

I've just watched all three discs of Vision. Once again I was reminded of why I'm a fan, and why I love Michael so much. Watching every single video was like being on a journey through his life and career. What's unique about Michael is how he so easily moves me from one emotion to another..

I see DSTYGE and I feel joyous, ready to dance the night away. Then comes SOOML, and my heart breaks. GITM, TWYMMF and Come Together make me feel all kinds of things I'd feel embarrassed to talk about on a public discussion forum, lol (girls, you know what I'm talking 'bout). And how about In The Closet? Damn, must've been hot in the desert cuz I feel the heat all the way to my couch..! :heat:

Then there's Smooth Criminal -a piece of art that easily stands the test of time. The settings, costumes, dance routine etc. are perfect! It's still, to this day, one of the best videos I've ever seen. WYBT, MITM and Gone Too Soon bring me to tears, simply beautiful. APOM brings out the slightly hysterical fan in me, Michael's performance is just so electrifying that I think I could faint like girls in the audience do!

RTT and Ghosts are visually beautiful, and have great choreographies. Jam makes me giggle, with MJ trying to teach Jordan some of his moves. Hilarious :D And Scream, to me, looks just as fresh as it did the first time I saw it in the 90's.

The passion behind TDCAU and Earth Song gets to me each and every time, they are such powerful and brilliant songs and the videos complement them. They deliver the message. That's one of the many things I love about MJ -he had meaningul things to say and wasn't afraid to express his thoughts in his songs.

I'm starting to ramble, sorry. I could go on and on about this stuff. Michael was truly a genius. [highlight]I could talk about the picture quality, which people seem to be very interested in, but at this moment none of that matters to me.[/highlight] I'm so overwhelmed with emotions after spending hours watching my favorite music videos, watching the man that has been more significant in my life that I could ever explain in words. I'm so thankful for all these gifts, these jewels, he left us. I love and miss him, so so so much :cry:

Thank you, Michael :heart:

Do not worry. You did the best review so far.

All mine are scratched and all the discs skip when I put it in. Its not too bad but its bad enough to be really annoying so I have to send it back tomorrow.

All mine are scratched and all the discs skip when I put it in. Its not too bad but its bad enough to be really annoying so I have to send it back tomorrow.

Eugh how annoying! Will have to try and watch them soonish, find it hard to get that much time these days!

Yeah, mine are scratched too. They seem to play alright though.
You can do quite a lot of damage to a DVD before it'll stop playing properly. My brother used to leave his DVD's lying around outside the cases and sometimes he used to put cups on them. They survived, despite being scratched to death.

I understand discs might get scratches in use... I don't understand buying stuff that's never been used and it already has scratches :( Doesn't sound good to me :no:

I just got my DVD box set and I am soooo happy with it! Everything is so beautiful and first rate. From the cover art, the booklet, and of course all the short films are the highest quality you can imagine! I love all the introductions to the songs, that is so unique. And there are some surprises that I didn't expect like the ending of BAD- just great. Smooth Criminal is the full version from Moonwalker which is the first time they've offered it that way. Ghosts is great!
Oh yes ONE MORE CHANCE - just beautiful, Michael is so sexy and wonderful in it. Great concept, very cinematic, simple but gorgeous just like Michael.

It is a real treasure and so worth the price. I love it so much that I've ordered two more, one for my sister who has two kids that love Michael and my brother who also has two kids that love Michael.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it, because it is absolutely a real gem!!! Thank you Michael, and Sony/estate! :punk:

mmm. i havent read the whole thread. and its to much time for this.
have someone made a list with the difference or maybe new footage in some videos?
i only saw a few videos til today, and what i recognized was the bad ending credits :p and that they dont care about us is a bit different.

about one more chance: 0-10, 10 is the highest. my personal: 3

Yeh i think it was mainly cuz of the "jew me" part of the song why the disclamier was put on it. I remember the media & haters were saying that mj was being anti semtic ( sorry if the spelling is wrong, but im sure u all know what i meant) and this there was huge uproar bout it.

I am soooo glad they had the original version, and they didn't cover it up instead, just used a disclaimer. I am still looking for the original HIstory CD with the original version of the song. Anyone?

Also, I saw Smooth criminal, and I didn't see any incomplete anything. It was perfect! imo. Speed demons audio was much better. I remember the version inthe original Moonwalker and you can hardly hear the song, but this time it sounds like it should.

Anyway, I am very happy- the quality imo is much better than the quality of all the DVDs that I have, and I have all of them. Enjoy!:D

I read somewhere earlier this year, I think that the voice in the video version of Keep it in the Closet was Naomi's while on the single it was Princess Stephanie's. The woman's voice actually does sound different on this dvd than on the CD. Whose voice is it? Naomi's?

I'm pleased about gettiing the other version of Jam on this version & the full version of Bad & The Way You Make Me Feel. It's nice to actually see the whole entire video sometimes. You can forget what that was like.

Got Vision today at HMV, actually bought 3 as gifts. I've spent the last couple of hours watching the genius that is Michael, I love my boxed set, thank you Michael.

Does anyone know if Vision has entered any DVD charts?
It was released this week, so it will enter chart next week. Vision will be best-selling music DVD title in December for sure. You can bet on that :yes: but regarding overall DVD chart, music (videos, concerts) can't compete with movies. This Is It was exception. BTW TII was best selling DVD in America for one week, actually it's still one of the best selling titles this year. Of course Avatar is #1.

Edit:
BTW, in UK This Is It is still on chart (Music Video Top 40), it's #2 atm
(39 weeks on chart, 31 weeks at #1 and 8 weeks at #2 :D ~ complete domination!)

Last edited:
It was released this week, so it will enter chart next week. Vision will be best-selling music DVD title in December for sure. You can bet on that :yes: but regarding overall DVD chart, music (videos, concerts) can't compete with movies. This Is It was exception. BTW TII was best selling DVD in America for one week, actually it's still one of the best selling titles this year. Of course Avatar is #1.

Thanks for the info :) I will be surprised if it isn't the best-selling music DVD this month. I love This Is It and Avatar :D

Thanks for the info :) I will be surprised if it isn't the best-selling music DVD this month. I love This Is It and Avatar :D
You're welcome. Cheers! In previous post you have also info for TII in UK.
I also love Avatar, actually I ordered Avatar Extended Collector's Edition 3 BD edition and Vision in same package from amazon (UK) and I am waiting postman hehe. :)

Kikuchiyo;3096558 said:
You're welcome. Cheers! In previous post you have also info for TII in UK.
I also love Avatar, actually I ordered Avatar Extended Collector's Edition 3 BD edition and Vision in same package from amazon (UK) and I am waiting postman hehe. :)

I was going to buy the film when it came out but it was too expensive then at £17.99 but when I walked into HMV a few weeks ago I saw the 3-disc one for only £9.99 so I got that and I love all the extras :D

Back