Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

I actually think that if the promotion is done correctly then I reckon the film could do $300 million worldwide at the box office or possibly more. Obviously a lot of it depends upon public reaction. This could be one of the biggest movies of the year because I can see fans going to see this multiple times.

Last edited:
FIRST POST UPDATED WITH NEW US NUMBERS: JACKSON SALES FALL

Sales for the week of September 16th fell drastically due to the low Jackson coverage during that week. The new re-release of The Beatles catalogue plus huge interest in the new Jay Z album, preoccupied music buying consumers allowing for sales in Jackson's catalogue to tumble this week. Jackson only had one (1) Top 10 Album with Number Ones, which was the 10th best selling album this week in the US, shifting 46,000 copies. In fact, MJ only had 3/40 best selling albums this week: (Number Ones, Essential, Thriller).

-The one bright spot, Thriller has officially sold over 1 million copies in the US since Jackson's death.

-Total album sales this week for Jackson's catalogue were 132,000 taking his 12 week post death total to 5.17 million in the US.

*Remember the VMA's are not accounted for in these numbers since the awards show took place on a Sunday night, the last day of sales for this charting week. Both the VMA tribute and the Oprah Tribute spillover will be reflected in NEXT WEEK'S charts.

Also, a little update on The Beatles sales numbers:

-The fab four only had 4/10 best selling albums this week. This is less then the record 6/10 Jackson had for 2 weeks in a row. So don't worry about that record being broken.

-The Beatles catalogue shifted 626,000 albums this week. This is not even close to the 1.1 million albums Jackson sold during the week of his memorial.

-Based on first week sales, it looks like the new Beatles re-mastered albums will sell about 3 million albums this year in the US. Jackson, having already sold 5 million, looks to sell another 1 million, more then doubling The Beatles and cementing himself as the best selling artist of 2009.

Last edited:

-The one bright spot, Thriller has officially sold over 1 million copies in the US since Jackson's death.

Seriously.. Thriller must have surpassed the Eagles now!! 1 million copies after his death..

-The fab four only had 4/10 best selling albums this week. This is less then the record 6/10 Jackson had for 2 weeks in a row. So don't worry about that record being broken.

-The Beatles catalogue shifted 580,000 albums this week. This is not even close to the 1.1 million albums Jackson sold during the week of his memorial.

-Based on first week sales, it looks like the new Beatles re-mastered albums will sell about 3 million albums this year in the US. Jackson, having already sold 5 million, looks to sell another 1 million, more then doubling The Beatles and cementing himself as the best selling artist of 2009.

Thanx so much for all your updates x

-The Beatles catalogue shifted 580,000 albums this week. This is not even close to the 1.1 million albums Jackson sold during the week of his memorial.

Thanx for the info......
And smooth_criminal according to the calculations that I have MJ's Number ones, Thriller and Essential have sold 116,000, 56,000 and 68,000 respectively before MJ's death in U.S.. Can you confirm these figures..........
And I really appreciate that if you can please post the MJ's pre death album sales figures globally... Thanx.

I just want to imagine what if a new material came out from Michael’s unreleased or upcoming new album, all Michael’s sales were old released, the beetles released something new, but Michael didn’t!!! So what if new material was released from MJ!!!

I think there will be a official soundtrack for the movie This Is It.... And I hope it will be a new MJ hit.

^^ Yes, anything new is expected to be a huge hit. Michael didn’t release anything new and he is one of the best sellers in 2009. What IF he released (or re-released) a new album!!! Beatles released something new, he didn’t and he is still the best seller!

I think there will be a official soundtrack for the movie This Is It.... And I hope it will be a new MJ hit.

could be.. I really want to hear something new..
Im so devastated that Michael will not get to show us himself :cry:

Sales for the week of September 16th fell drastically due to the low Jackson coverage during that week. The new re-release of The Beatles catalogue plus huge interest in the new Jay Z album, preoccupied music buying consumers allowing for sales in Jackson's catalogue to tumble this week. Jackson only had one (1) Top 10 Album with Number Ones, which was the 10th best selling album this week in the US, shifting 46,000 copies. In fact, MJ only had 3/40 best selling albums this week: (Number Ones, Essential, Thriller).

-Total album sales this week for Jackson's catalogue were 132,000 taking his 12 week post death total to 5.17 million in the US.

*Remember the VMA's are not accounted for in these numbers since the awards show took place on a Sunday night, the last day of sales for this charting week. Both the VMA tribute and the Oprah Tribute spillover will be reflected in NEXT WEEK'S charts.

Is Thriller now THE no1 album eva?
Compared to Eagles?
If so.....that's awesome.............
but if not...how many more copies need to be sold to topple that record?

Who keeps these official numbers? Sony?

I soooo desperately want Thriller to be THE BEST album and THE MOST SOLD album eva............

This way, no-one can eva touch mj's records....................or, it'll be some really hard doing. But they can try.

Thriller is the best selling album ever worldwide by far.....But in U.S. it was certified as 28X with 1million difference between the best seller in U.S. by 2008. And so far this year alone Thriller has sold 1,024,000 copies in U.S. So it is possible that the Thriller has already surpassed the Eagles. When RIAA next update their ratings I think Thriller will be the #1 album in U.S. and it will be the first album to cross 30million mark.

When the This Is It soundtrack is released in late October/Early November, I am expecting some impressive sales. This new release will contain a brand new Jackson song which will be released as a single. All the Jackson hoopla with This Is It the movie will allow Jackson's catalogue sales to surge in my opinion. If the estate/Sony can time this right (releasing the soundtrack during the same 2-3 weeks of the movie, plus with Halloween tucked right in there) I believe Jackson could easily move 500,000 albums in a week. This would need perfect timing of course. I think a new soundtrack could easily sell 100,000-200,000 copies in its debut week.

Remember that Michael's "Moonwalk" book gets released mid-October. I think the time period from about October 20th-Christmas will be very interesting to watch. There could be some impressive sales during this time if the estate and Sony plans things right.

^^^^

I agree. Great timing is alpha-omega here!

Can't wait for the new song!! - We HAVE to make that a #1 single!

That way he will have had a #1 single in 4 decades in a row!

^^^ And I hope he'll get a new Grammy award. I donno why the Grammies abandoned Michael!!

*One small correction to my Beatles post. The band actually sold 626,000 albums last week. Still well behind Jackson's 1,100,000 albums during his memorial. I was reading some Beatles stats on Billboard and since 1991, the band has sold a stunning 58 million albums (soon to be 60 million) in the US alone. By far the US's best selling musical act. You have to give props to The Beatles, worldwide unit sales north of 750 million are very realistic.

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/beatles-jay-z-dominate-billboard-charts-1004012340.story

That's the link for The Beatles numbers.

Seriously.. Thriller must have surpassed the Eagles now!! 1 million copies after his death..

Is Thriller now THE no1 album eva?
Compared to Eagles?
If so.....that's awesome.............
but if not...how many more copies need to be sold to topple that record?

Who keeps these official numbers? Sony?

I soooo desperately want Thriller to be THE BEST album and THE MOST SOLD album eva............

This way, no-one can eva touch mj's records....................or, it'll be some really hard doing. But they can try.

Thriller is the best selling album ever worldwide by far.....But in U.S. it was certified as 28X with 1million difference between the best seller in U.S. by 2008. And so far this year alone Thriller has sold 1,024,000 copies in U.S. So it is possible that the Thriller has already surpassed the Eagles. When RIAA next update their ratings I think Thriller will be the #1 album in U.S. and it will be the first album to cross 30million mark.

This is IMO the conspiracy issue.

I can BET that RIAA is going to release a statement or a PR that they have upgraded the latest "numbers" yet and the Eagles are going to be the first act that overcomes 30 mill. records in the US, after that Michaels Thriller will overcome the 30 mill. records...

They will not allow Michael to be the first!!!!

When the This Is It soundtrack is released in late October/Early November, I am expecting some impressive sales. This new release will contain a brand new Jackson song which will be released as a single. All the Jackson hoopla with This Is It the movie will allow Jackson's catalogue sales to surge in my opinion. If the estate/Sony can time this right (releasing the soundtrack during the same 2-3 weeks of the movie, plus with Halloween tucked right in there) I believe Jackson could easily move 500,000 albums in a week. This would need perfect timing of course. I think a new soundtrack could easily sell 100,000-200,000 copies in its debut week.

Remember that Michael's "Moonwalk" book gets released mid-October. I think the time period from about October 20th-Christmas will be very interesting to watch. There could be some impressive sales during this time if the estate and Sony plans things right.

I wish the SONY and MJ Estate administrators could read such a thread like this one and inspire with our wishes, and prepare a solid strategy and promote Michael on a large scale, more than ever before...

Its all about the strategy...

Just a quick update on I-Tunes Music Video Charts for September 17th 2009. It appears the VMA's and Oprah Special have helped Jackson with music video sales. I imagine some of these were much higher too towards the beginning of the week. Here, take a look:

#7. Thriller
#10. Scream
#23. Smooth Criminal
#34. Billie Jean
#37. She's Out Of My Life
#54. Beat It
#61. Remember The Time
#64. Black Or White
#77. Dirty Diana
#79. Bad
#85. Thriller

What does this mean? Michael Jackson is the king of music videos. No other artist has EVER had this many videos in the Top 100. After Jackson's death, his videos occupied the entire top 10! Jackson still has 10/100 videos, or 10% of all music video sales are MJ. Way to go, this is impressive especially considering most of these videos are 15-30 years old.

Source: I-Tunes

Just a quick update on I-Tunes Music Video Charts for September 17th 2009. It appears the VMA's and Oprah Special have helped Jackson with music video sales. I imagine some of these were much higher too towards the beginning of the week. Here, take a look:

#7. Thriller
#10. Scream
#23. Smooth Criminal
#34. Billie Jean
#37. She's Out Of My Life
#54. Beat It
#61. Remember The Time
#64. Black Or White
#77. Dirty Diana
#79. Bad
#85. Thriller

What does this mean? Michael Jackson is the king of music videos. No other artist has EVER had this many videos in the Top 100. After Jackson's death, his videos occupied the entire top 10! Jackson still has 10/100 videos, or 10% of all music video sales are MJ. Way to go, this is impressive especially considering most of these videos are 15-30 years old.

Source: I-Tunes

Holy sh*t. :bugeyed :wild: No way.

I had a feeling he'd get a boost on the charts, but I wasn't aware he had this many music videos in the Top 100.

That's impressive as hell! Damn Mike!

I wonder how it's gonna be when the heavy This Is It promotion starts next month.

i personaly DONT feel right about this,thats exactly what the killers wanna see .they know what mike's death would bring which is probably the motive behind the con,and sadly everything turns out going on toward the way as they had expected. picturing their evil smirking makes me sick.despite the fact that a portion of the profits gained after the death goes to mikes estate,still feel gutted.

Last edited:
Just a quick historical note. Some Halloweens I look at the ITunes charts and record them.

--------------------
Michael dominates the U.S. ITunes.

November 1, 2008, here are Michael's placings, this goes to show that Michael is still hot:

1. Top ITunes Songs-
Thriller (Thriller: 25) at 11

2. Top ITunes Albums-
Thriller (Original release-Video edition) at 1
Thriller 25 at 44

3. Top ITunes Pop Songs-
Thriller (Thriller 25 edition) at 6
Thriller (original release) at 35
Billie Jean (original Release) at 54
Beat It (original Release) at 55
Thriller (origanl Release) at 73
Don't Stop Til' You Get Enough (The Essential Michael Jackson) at 78

4. Top ITunes Pop Albums-
Thriller (original release- Video edition) at 1
Thriller 25 at 10
The Essential Michael Jackson at 24
Thriller (original release) at 25
Number One at 52
Off the Wall at 90
Michael Jackson Greatest Hits, HIStory Vol.1 at 99

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are Michael's placings on November 2, 2008

1. Top ITunes Songs-
Thriller (Thriller:25) at 16

2. Top ITunes Albums-
Thriller (original release- video edition) at 1
Thriller: 25 at 57

3. Top ITunes Pop Songs-
Thriller (Thriller: 25) at 8
Thriller (orignal release) at 61
Beat It (original release) at 62
Billie jean (original release) at 65
Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough (The Essential Michael Jackson) at 80

4. Top ITunes Pop Albums-
Thriller (original release-video edition) at 1
Thriller: 25 at 13
The Essential Michael Jackson at 28
Thriller (original release) at 35
Number Ones at 57
Off The Wall at 79
Michael Jackson Greatest Hits HIStory, vol.1 at 82

Great news guys... Michael Jackson's THIS IS IT soundtrack will be released to coincide with the theatrical release. The timing is working out perfect. The judge okayed the deal for the CD today in court. Expert to hear some gossip about the album in the next several weeks. It WILL contain a brand new Jackson song which will be released as a single in October. This CD will be a big seller, I think it has potential to sell over 100,000 copies in it's debut week, possibly more depending on the single. More info here...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mus...ael-jackson-movie-soundtrack-the-goahead.html

GLOBAL ALBUM CHARTS: BEATLES TAKE OVER AND BREAK RECORDS

-I'm sorry to say that the new Beatles albums have erased at least 2 of the records held by Jackson including the most albums on the Top 40 (The Beatles had 14 entries), and all spots between #1 and #14 are new entries. 13 of those albums are all Beatles. The Beatles sold a staggering 2.68 MILLION (Vs 2.79 million for Jackson at his peak this summer) albums this week around the world including 630,000 in the US. I project them to sell 10-11 million by years end including over 3 million in the US.

With that out of the way, obviously Jackson's albums fell given the slow week plus The Beatles albums and Jay Z knocking MJ's albums right out of the top 20.

-Jackson's highest entry was Thriller at #22 (selling 76,000 copies).

-His Number Ones was at #26 (68,000) while his Essential was at #29. (58,000)

-Other charting Jackson albums include Bad at #33 (55,000), and King Of Pop at #36 (47,000).

-All together, Jackson sold 460,000 albums this week around the world bringing his total to 14.7+ million. He will cross the 15 million mark next week.

The good news from this is that his sales won't drop as much next week due to the VMA's and Oprah which should slow down the weekly plunge. And don't worry guys even though the charts are infested with Beatles this week, and probably the next 3-4 weeks to come, just think that by the end of October Michael will have a new movie soundtrack CD out. This CD will be #1 on the Global charts and US charts (I'm betting on it), and this will help pull up sales of his other albums as well. This is during the Halloween period when Jackson's CD sales usually sell well especially Thriller. With the theatrical release of This Is It plus the now confirmed CD, Jackson's sales will surge in the time period from October 28th-Nov 16th. Then we get close to Christmas and I know Sony has some serious Jackson marketing up their sleeve.

www.mediatraffic.de

Last edited:

Do you mind explaining this article (Its not recent) but just wanted someone to clarify what the article states. Ive interpreted it that Elvis since his death has made 600 million in 30 years and Michael at just 2 months and bit has made 100 million?

Keeping Michael Jackson’s Legacy

Who will keep the King of Pop, Michael Jackson’s legacy to play on and on? To date, the King of Rock n Roll, Elvis Presley is said to be the #1 non-living star. Elvis Presley’s worth is over $600 million according to TIMESONLINE. His death was over 30 years ago.

Michael Jackson is predicted to surpass that; with over $100 million earned since his death on June 25. Another 60 million is said to generate by the end of 2009.

There will be considerable amounts that will have to pay off the hundreds of millions that he has been said to be in debt. With the executors of the estate managing these, his mother will receive 40% of this.
We will see mostly family members participating in the Michael Jackson legacy.

michaeljacksonrehearsal_this_is_itLo Toya and Jermaine have already been giving interviews about maintaining Neverland for the King of Pop’s final resting place. A new Graceland or Neverland will keep the legacy.

http://woodenspears.com/keeping-michael-ja...%80%99s-legacy/

Back