Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

Before Michael had passed and his record sales skyrocketed in the US and all over the world, Taylor Swift's 'Fearless' had been the top selling album in the US. Michael's 'Number Ones' had exceeded 'Fearless' some time over the summer.

But I just read an article today that Swift is going to re-release 'Fearless' at the end of October with 6 new songs and a DVD of special features. I think her record company wants to give the album a push to become the biggest selling US album by the end of the year.

But the TII movie is going to be released at the same time and I think that will drive a lot of people who hadn't purchased Michael's music yet to the stores if the trailers are gonna be playing on TV. I hope Michael comes out on top.

Swift to re-release 'Fearless' with 6 new songs
Sept. 10, 2009, 8:28 AM EST

NEW YORK (AP) -- Taylor Swift is giving fans some new music, even though she's not yet releasing a new album.

The 19-year-old country and pop sensation is re-releasing her top-selling CD "Fearless" Oct. 27 with six new songs. She will also include a DVD of photos, tour footage and her videos, including her comedic clip with T-Pain from the CMT Awards earlier this year.

"Fearless" has sold almost 4 million copies since it was released last November. It was named album of the year by the Academy of Country Music.

On Wednesday, Swift was nominated for four Country Music Association Awards, including entertainer of the year. She's also up for an MTV Video Music Award on Sunday.

The CD/DVD of "Fearless Platinum Edition" will be released Oct. 27.

Fearless is still selling 25,000-30,000 copies per week in the US and it's been 10 months since the album was released. If this is true and Taylor Swift is going to re-release her album, we can kiss the #1 spot goodbye for Michael. By October 27th, Swift will only be about 120,000-150,000 copies behind Number Ones. If that week her album sells let's say 150,000 copies compared to Number One's 20,000 copies... then she is almost tied again. I'm sorry to say, that if Swift does re-release Fearless then she will have the #1 album of the year. Her popularity in the US is huge and lasting. I'd say in the 2 months with a re-release, she will probably sell another 500,000-600,000 copies in November alone. Probably 750,000 by years end.

Last edited:
Fearless is still selling 25,000-30,000 copies per week in the US and it's been 10 months since the album was released. If this is true and Taylor Swift is going to re-release her album, we can kiss the #1 spot goodbye for Michael. By October 27th, Swift will only be about 120,000-150,000 copies behind Number Ones. If that week her album sells let's say 150,000 copies compared to Number One's 20,000 copies... then she is almost tied again. I'm sorry to say, that if Swift does re-release Fearless then she will have the #1 album of the year. Her popularity in the US is huge and lasting. I'd say in the 2 months with a re-release, she will probably sell another 500,000-600,000 copies.

Damn her and her teen-angst songs that little girls eat up.... LOLS!

Oh well Mike.... At least you still have the record for Thriller... That one I'm sure no one will beat!

UPDATED GLOBAL NUMBERS FOR SEPTEMBER 11TH 2009:

Some key highlights for the week:

-Michael Jackson only had 1 Top 10 album this week due to a string of new releases. His Thriller album was the #6 best selling album in the world this week.

-Thriller shifted another 107,000 copies taking its grand total since his death to almost 2.8 million!

-Jackson had 8/40 best selling albums this week with Thriller, Number Ones, Essential, Bad, Off The Wall, Dangerous, King Of Pop, and Invincible all in the Top 40!

-Jackson's entire catalogue sold another 610,000 albums globally this week taking his total sales after death to 14.26 MILLION Albums!

??? Why did sales drop so much???

??? Why did sales drop so much???

Sales did not drop that much at all. Jackson's catalogue still sold over 600,000 copies which is incredible. He still has the best selling catalogue of any musical act this week. The difference was that there were some BIG releases such as the new Whitney Houston album plus Miley Cyrus. So Michael's albums were just knocked down several positions. Total sales did not drop that bad compared to any other week.

Just a note, next week Jackson will probably not have any top 10's at all globally because of The Beatles collection that was re-released this week plus Jay Z's new album release. I imagine The Beatles will sell well over 1 million albums next week globally (550,000 in the US alone). The Beatles should have 13 albums in the Top 40 next week, Jackson should probably still get 5. Jay Z's new album will sell 350,000-400,000 in the US and debut at #1. I imagine Jackson will still sell 500,000 albums next week. His sales will not begin to rise again until This Is It is released at the end of October.

Last edited:
what about the tribute at the VMA's plus the "this is it " trailer wouldn't that help his album sales?

Yep I would expect so. Probably not enough to make a great return to the top but it really depends on the sucess of the show. So we'll have to wait and see ;)

I don't expect The VMA's will have a huge effect on sales. Not enough to increase sales from the previous week that's for sure. Remember, only about 10 million Americans will be watching the show.

*By the way, an update on The Beatles sales, incase you haven't noticed Billboard and Hits Daily Double are a tad Beatles obsessed and boy does it show. It looks like Abbey Road will sell 100,000 copies this week making it #3 on the US charts next week. Take a good look at the Top Pop Catalogue this week guys because next week Michael Jackson will only have 1 album in it. The rest will all be Beatles. Industry experts are now predicting The Beatles catalogue to sell 600,000 copies this week in the US. (2 million by Halloween, and 3.5 million by years end). This should take the global Beatles numbers to 1.3 million this week (4 million by Halloween and 7 million by years end).

if u count MJs J5 day sales then he beats the beatles I think, I think its only fair to add his j5 sales with his solo stuff cos if it had not been for MJ the J5 would not of had sold anything near they did

Then, add 100 millions for Paul McCartney solo career.

^ Don't worry guys, The Beatles will not overtake Jackson. Say they sell 600,000 in their debut week. Remember, Jackson sold 1.1 million during the week of his memorial alone. Jackson will still beat The Beatles this year in US and global sales. No need to worry.

^ Don't worry guys, The Beatles will not overtake Jackson. Say they sell 600,000 in their debut week. Remember, Jackson sold 1.1 million during the week of his memorial alone. Jackson will still beat The Beatles this year in US and global sales. No need to worry.

Don´t underestimate them. They are selling huge worldwide not only US. In Europe they sell like crazy. ANd they will continue to sell very large numbers Christmas is just around the corner don´t forget!

Gosh... Arty.... Are you a Beatles fan as well? Sheesh.... XD

Well, if that's the case... for Christmas.. I'll buy MJ Cds for my whole family.. LOLS!

Did they break any chart records that MJ set in June and July?

Gosh... Arty.... Are you a Beatles fan as well? Sheesh.... XD

Well, if that's the case... for Christmas.. I'll buy MJ Cds for my whole family.. LOLS!

No I´m not a Beatles fan but I don´t mind if you buy me a record of them I will not put my money for a Beatles record on the table but I ´m always happy to get a present.

There are no records that will be beating Michael, and here is why:

-Next week, The Beatles will have 5 of the top 10 best selling albums. (Michael had 6)

-The Beatles will have 9/10 top pop catalogue albums next week (Michael had 10)

-The Beatles will sell around 600,000 albums next week in the US (Michael sold 1.1 million during the week of his memorial)

-The Beatles will not be selling much digital downloads since their songs are not available on I-tunes (Michael made a record selling 2.6 million downloads in 1 week)

-The Beatles will not have the #1 album in the US this week or any week in the future (Michael had the #1 album for 6 weeks)

-The Beatles have 9/10 and 13/15 best selling albums on Amazon (Michael had the ENTIRE top 15 best selling albums on Amazon for over a week)

So DON'T panic guys, Michael's records are safe. The Beatles are coming damn close to some but they are not going to break them. Michael will remain the #1 seller of the year both in the US and globally. His records will stand.

There are no records that will be beating Michael, and here is why:

-Next week, The Beatles will have 5 of the top 10 best selling albums. (Michael had 6)

-The Beatles will have 9/10 top pop catalogue albums next week (Michael had 10)

-The Beatles will sell around 600,000 albums next week in the US (Michael sold 1.1 million during the week of his memorial)

-The Beatles will not be selling much digital downloads since their songs are not available on I-tunes (Michael made a record selling 2.6 million downloads in 1 week)

-The Beatles will not have the #1 album in the US this week or any week in the future (Michael had the #1 album for 6 weeks)

-The Beatles have 9/10 and 13/15 best selling albums on Amazon (Michael had the ENTIRE top 15 best selling albums on Amazon for over a week)

So DON'T panic guys, Michael's records are safe. The Beatles are coming damn close to some but they are not going to break them. Michael will remain the #1 seller of the year both in the US and globally. His records will stand.

thank you for the info makes me feel a lot better

Let us also give interest in Michael’s sales outside the US since he himself refers to his sales records as “Worldwide” not just US due to conspiracies according to him from an interview with Ed Bradley in 2003.

In fact, Gail Mitchell, senior editor at Billboard magazine, uses a different metric to set Jackson apart from other music stars: his lack of recent success.

"Michael Jackson sold out 50 concerts in a matter of hours, this despite not having a recent hit song or record and, truth be told, being an artist who really only had four big albums a long time ago," from Off the Wall(1979)to Dangerous(1991), Mitchell says. "How many artists could do that? I may be idealistic, BUT I THINK HIS LEGACY WILL TRUMP ALL OTHERS."

This is an excerpt from the link to the USAtoday article. I like what the BillBoard guy says at the end and I think he's right!

UPDATED GLOBAL NUMBERS FOR SEPTEMBER 11TH 2009:

Some key highlights for the week:

-Michael Jackson only had 1 Top 10 album this week due to a string of new releases. His Thriller album was the #6 best selling album in the world this week.

-Thriller shifted another 107,000 copies taking its grand total since his death to almost 2.8 million!

-Jackson had 8/40 best selling albums this week with Thriller, Number Ones, Essential, Bad, Off The Wall, Dangerous, King Of Pop, and Invincible all in the Top 40!

-Jackson's entire catalogue sold another 610,000 albums globally this week taking his total sales after death to 14.26 MILLION Albums!

OK, these are the numbers since june 26, but what about the numbers of selling starting from january 1, 2009????

OK, these are the numbers since june 26, but what about the numbers of selling starting from january 1, 2009????

Michael Jackson sold 300,000 albums in 2009 from January 1st to June 24th in the United States. He sold 600,000 albums globally in the same time period. The numbers on this thread are only AFTER his death, so technically if you are looking for numbers for the entire year then you would simply add 300,000 to the US totals and 600,000 to the global totals.

I expect Michael's sales to increase this week because of the special VMA tribute and also because of the premiere of the trailer for the This Is It film. A lot more people are going to tune in this year than usual.

Just throwing these numbers out there, for the This Is It movie I'm projecting:

US Gross: $40 Million
Total Global Gross: $120 Million

Just throwing these numbers out there, for the This Is It movie I'm projecting:

US Gross: $40 Million
Total Global Gross: $120 Million

You mean only the theater project, or also the DVD sale?

I have some worries that This Is It will not be so "cool" or successful in the US, and even in the rest of the world...., I dont know why, but I have a feeling that it will be - disappointment... and tabloid will make fun of it...

You mean only the theater project, or also the DVD sale?

I have some worries that This Is It will not be so "cool" or successful in the US, and even in the rest of the world...., I dont know why, but I have a feeling that it will be - disappointment... and tabloid will make fun of it...

I mean just from the theater portion. I believe $40 million is reasonable for the US. It will be a well publicized movie and get lots of interest from curious fans who want to see Michael in his last days. A lot will depend on reviews as well, if they come out amazing then you can automatically add 10-20 million on that figure. But I think 40 million is a very reasonable figure for gross revenue in the US with an additional 80 million globally. Remember, Sony paid $60 million for the rights for this footage plus is putting $10 million into promotion. Thats $70 million right there! They will not settle for anything less. Atleast $120 million gross will allow them to profit.

Back