Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

Why people dont buy the HIStory album - the new songs????

History is my second fav album after OtW, and it has a very strong message!

People should buy this album, and SONY should promote it more then ever before... (after the huge campaign in 1995-97)

... and BTW... when RIAA is going to upgrade the Thriller sale numbers, and certificate the Thriller as the best seller in the US!

Technically Thriller is now the best seller reaching 30 mil..., isnt it???

The reason why sales of HIStory are lower than other albums is due to the very high price point. It retails for double the price compared to his other albums. In Canada, they are now charging $25 for HIStory which is way lower than the price just 6 months ago when it would go for $45! But why would someone buy a double disc album for $25 when The Essential is sitting right beside it, which also has 2 discs, for half the price. This is why HIStory's sales are lower. The low sales for Invincible can be explained by the lack of promotion on Sony's part. I simply NEVER see it in record stores.

imo, Invincible was the worst MJs album, and has only a few good songs.

The price of HIStory is weird..., they could separate the new and old songs..., why there is the GHs HIStory CD separately from the new songs, but not the new ones from the old ones????

Are you sure, cuz Ive only seen History the single disk charting, havent seent the double album on the charts.
If you ask me they should just stop printing the History greatest hits disk and put out Disk 2

HIStory the whole package has been charting in several countries in Europe and in the first few weeks was selling quite well but the sales have now dropped quite a bit. The reason why HIStory isn't selling as much as say BAD and Dangerous is because of the price as it is quite expensive for a backcatalog album. If Disc 2 of HIStory with all the new songs was sold separately then it would sell a lot more and I agree Sony should do this and I've wondered why they haven't since they sold Disc 1 by itself.

Invincible has been doing pretty well considering its Michael's least successful album, its managed to sell over 500,000 copies this year so far which is pretty impressive and strangely enough it was one of the albums that was actually increasing it sales at one point week by week.

The Ultimate Collection has recently been charting in some countries which is a surprise because of the price but I guess for newer fans its a bargain for them because they are getting a package that covers the work of Michael's whole career, plus unreleased tracks/demos, plus a DVD.

I expect that there will be a hike in the sales of Michael's albums when the trailer for This Is It is released and when the film itself is released. How much of a hike in sales there will be all depends upon how well the film is marketed.

Invincible has been doing pretty well considering its Michael's least successful album, its managed to sell over 500,000 copies this year so far which is pretty impressive and strangely enough it was one of the albums that was actually increasing it sales at one point week by week.

I have seen a lot of positivity these days towards Invincible. People finally start to realize that this album is REALLY GOOD! People need to realize this fact unless they need Michael to make them realize it through his performances, if he was able to promote this album properly then you’d seen different reactions towards this album. I think we should be less driven by the media being told what to do, what to choose or how to live our lives, listen to the album without any influence and you will start to realize how good it is. I am sure it stratifies most tastes in music. :yes:

Just want to let everyone know that by January I will be updating my list of all of MJ's sales for new outcomes. I expect sales to last strong into early next year.

By the end of the year some experts say that MJ will sell over 30 million ALBUMS alone.

And possibly 20 million singles making his total 50 million records sold by the end of the year.

And history is a strong international seller. It only sold 4 million in the U.S. but over 22 million worldwide. thats almost impossible. but MJ did it. Actually HIStory established the trend that you don't need the U.S. market to sell big worldwide.

The New York Times did an article on it: http://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/25/b...html?scp=2&sq=Michael Jackson- HIStory&st=cse

But his sales are incredible so far. Especially in this day of age.

But Invincible is a HIGHLY underrated album. Its my 2nd favorite MJ albums(Off The Wall is #1).

Despite poor promotion it still sold 12 million worldwide.

I have seen a lot of positivity these days towards Invincible. People finally start to realize that this album is REALLY GOOD! People need to realize this fact unless they need Michael to make them realize it through his performances, if he was able to promote this album properly then you’d seen different reactions towards this album. I think we should be less driven by the media being told what to do, what to choose or how to live our lives, listen to the album without any influence and you will start to realize how good it is. I am sure it stratifies most tastes in music. :yes:

That's true I've been hearing the Invincible album being played in quite a few places, people are becoming more aware of it and are realising that it is a decent album.

UPDATED GLOBAL NUMBERS FOR SEPT 3RD 2009:
*According to Media Traffic

-TOTAL GLOBAL ALBUM SALES THIS WEEK WERE 650,000

-JACKSON HAD 4/10 BEST SELLING ALBUMS INCLUDING:
-THRILLER (#4)
-NUMBER ONES (#7)
-ESSENTIAL (#8)
-BAD (#10)

-JACKSON HAD 8/40 BEST SELLING ALBUMS THIS WEEK (20% or 1/5)

-THRILLER HAS NOW SOLD 2.68 MILLION COPIES SINCE DEATH AND IS THE 3RD BIGGEST SELLING ALBUM GLOBALLY IN 2009. WILL BREAK THE 3 MILLION MARK BY END OF SEPTEMBER.

-THRILLER HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE 2009'S BIGGEST SELLING ALBUM GLOBALLY. KEEP BUYING!

-ESSENTIAL HAS NOW SOLD OVER 2 MILLION COPIES SINCE JACKSON'S DEATH

-TOTAL GLOBAL ALBUM SALES NOW STAND AT 13.65 MILLION. WILL BREAK 14 MILLION NEXT WEEK!

--
*Remember, this is solely ALBUM sales. It DOES NOT include pirated, illegally downloaded material, DVD's, Digital Downloads, Ringtones, etc.

i expect him breaking more records before the year is through. the numbers are strong and staying that way.

You cannot really get good music like that anymore. I hope his last unreleased album comes out soon..

They were talkin about Invincible tonight on CNN. Showed clip of YRMW.

I wonder if SONY is going to upgrade the numbers for US and global sale statistics...!!!

And of course, evidently media will not report this massive global success http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2009-09-02-jackson-legacy_N.htm
He has sold 5 million albums in 2009, up from sales of 297,000 year to date before his death, and his Number Ones is 2009's best-selling album, overtaking Taylor Swift's Fearless, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
, but hey..., they will promote The Beatles reeditions and RIAA will upgrade The Eagles fictitios numbers..

Last edited:
UPDATED GLOBAL NUMBERS FOR SEPT 3RD 2009:
*According to Media Traffic

-TOTAL GLOBAL ALBUM SALES THIS WEEK WERE 650,000

-JACKSON HAD 4/10 BEST SELLING ALBUMS INCLUDING:
-THRILLER (#4)
-NUMBER ONES (#7)
-ESSENTIAL (#8)
-BAD (#10)

-JACKSON HAD 8/40 BEST SELLING ALBUMS THIS WEEK (20% or 1/5)

-THRILLER HAS NOW SOLD 2.68 MILLION COPIES SINCE DEATH AND IS THE 3RD BIGGEST SELLING ALBUM GLOBALLY IN 2009. WILL BREAK THE 3 MILLION MARK BY END OF SEPTEMBER.

-THRILLER HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE 2009'S BIGGEST SELLING ALBUM GLOBALLY. KEEP BUYING!

-ESSENTIAL HAS NOW SOLD OVER 2 MILLION COPIES SINCE JACKSON'S DEATH

-TOTAL GLOBAL ALBUM SALES NOW STAND AT 13.65 MILLION. WILL BREAK 14 MILLION NEXT WEEK!

--
*Remember, this is solely ALBUM sales. It DOES NOT include pirated, illegally downloaded material, DVD's, Digital Downloads, Ringtones, etc.

Also Number ones is at 2.564 million

If you add single I believe he sold around 30-35 million this year so far.

I UPDATED FIRST POST WITH THIS WEEKS NEW NUMBERS FOR U.S.

-Number Ones sold another 64,000 copies and moved to #4 on the charts. It's grand total this summer surges to well over 1.6 million.

-Thriller sold another 38,000 copies and is #9 on the charts. The album is now only 6,000 copies away from breaking the 1 million mark in the US.

-The Essential moved another 26,000+ copies and came in at #20 on the charts.

-Jackson's catalogue shifted another 200,000 albums this week taking the grand total since his death to over 5 million albums sold. This is incredible!

-Bad, Dangerous, Off The Wall, and HIStory all moved out of the Top 50, shifting below 10,000 units each.

--
*On a side note I expect next week's charts to be dominated by The Beatles as their entire catalogue is re-released tomorrow. Sales are brisk on Amazon, as their albums occupy 13/25 slots on the best sellers list. The band could have up to 5/10 best sellers on next week's list with total weekly sales over 750,000! I'm not sure just how big this Beatles re-launch will be chart wise. Some music industry experts are talking US CD sales of 5 millon+ by years end, with global figures easily dwarfing 10 million. We'll have to see. If this is true, The Beatles could overtake Jackson in US and International Sales. While this is good news for the Jackson estate, it is bad news for Michael on the charts. I expect Jackson's "Number Ones" will move to #11 or #12 next week, while only Essential and Thriller will be remaining in the US Top 50.

More to come later...

As I predict, The Beatles re-releases will reach at least 30 mill. world wide..., Michael has reached 15 mill. so far....

BTW, dont the Elvis fans claim that Elvis sold 20 mill. units in US within 24 hours after his death? So the Beatles only 700k...

Somebody could follow the charts and report this... in details...

^
Let's see.... if they do get around 30 million....

But considering the Beatles has more albums than Mike, Michael did extraordinary well... :)

Argh. . . why did the Beatles have to re-release their albums now? But Michael probably knew about it and signed off on it I bet since stuff like this is planned way in advance. Man, he would have been making bank with the TII tour and the royalties from Sony/ATV (had he been alive :().

Well, at least the kids will benefit from the re-release of the Beatles catalog. So it's good in some ways. But I too hope that it will be Michael that will be on top of record sales at the end of the year. Maybe when the TII soundtrack comes out, that will help a lot.

Well, at least the kids will benefit from the re-release of the Beatles catalog. So it's good in some ways. But I too hope that it will be Michael that will be on top of record sales at the end of the year. Maybe when the TII soundtrack comes out, that will help a lot.

Wow! I forgot about that. For every Beatles albums sold, his estate gets a piece.. :) (GO MJ!)

Yea, I really hope that Michael top the record sales for this year....

The Beatles will not sell 30 million records in 3.5 months. It just won't happen. No artist has ever sold that many records in that short of a period. In order for them to achieve that, every position on the Billboard top 10 must be filled with Beatles, and they would have to sell 1 million albums+ per week in the US alone atleast for a sold 4-5 weeks. Then we would know its possible. I think by years end the Beatles catalogue will have shifted between 10-15 million albums globally and about 5-6 million in the US. That's a much more reasonable figure.

I went looking for some more info on what was up with the World Music Awards and the rumor that Prince might do a tribute to Michael. Went to the official WMA website and they have this section on the homepage of "BEST SELLING ALBUMS OF THE WEEK AROUND THE WORLD" with the album cover and the country's flag. Michael was the best selling album in 12 out of 16 countries during this particular week. I'm not sure if this was this last week or when, but thought it was cool to see which countries had Michael as #1.

Check it out:

http://www.worldmusicawards.com/

Also, no word on what's going on for the WMAs 2009. There is no info on the website besides the date of the Award show which is Nov 15, 2009.

Damm why do people love the Beatles for?

I see four boring dudes with ugly hair playing a guitar, that's it. Their music is dated! I honestly never got the whole hype about the Beatles.

I really hope Michael Jackson is the biggest selling artist in the year of his death. He deserves that title! Damm the older 50's are all gonna buy the Beatles, taking them back down memory lane to feel young again I bet ya for sure! :(

Damm why do people love the Beatles for?

I see four boring dudes with ugly hair playing a guitar, that's it. Their music is dated! I honestly never got the whole hype about the Beatles.

I really hope Michael Jackson is the biggest selling artist in the year of his death. He deserves that title! Damm the older 50's are all gonna buy the Beatles, taking them back down memory lane to feel young again I bet ya for sure! :(

Don't say that,it's not nice

Even Mike loves the Beatles and just think,you are here saying "Dated",20 years later,there will be someone calling Mike's music "dated" as well
Just to remind you,the more album the Beatles sell,the more money will be added into Mike's estate

Don't say that,it's not nice

Even Mike loves the Beatles and just think,you are here saying "Dated",20 years later,there will be someone calling Mike's music "dated" as well
Just to remind you,the more album the Beatles sell,the more money will be added into Mike's estate

yes, but the problem is most 'normal people' who arnt fans dont know this, and it will look bad for MJ if the beatles sell more, having been on older band with no recent deaths.

I just read a Times article where they quoted EMI saying they shipped 4 million CD's to the US with an additional 1 million globally. Now thats just the initial shipment which tells me my estimates are much more realistic. I'm guessing they will ship again for Thanksgiving and Christmas. The Beatles should sell about 5 million albums in the US this year (takes their total for the decade to 33 million....the best selling act of the decade, beating out Eminem by a million records). Globally, The Beatles will sell about 10 million records this year taking their total for the decade to over 50 million! Like it or not, The Beatles are by far the most successful act in musical history sales wise, especially in the US. Ever since the start, the US and UK have had an obsession with The Beatles, and this re-release will only prove that. The Times article talked about the fact that The Beatles will earn a new record for the most albums in the UK Top 10 and I believe it. It's conceivable that the band will have up to 7/10 best selling albums there, with probably 4/10 or 5/10 in the US!

The Beatles have released a zillion albums.

Michael Jackson has released not even a quarter of the amount of albums that the Beatles have yet he is the biggest selling solo artist in history. Michael Jackson is the best selling artist in terms of numbers per album, hence Thriller - The Biggest Album In History.

I think that the new album will sale at least 15 million coppies when it releases. Yes i know it's so hard to come true in these days music endustry but i truly believe that.

He will break the last big record in the history of music industry. And no one can replicate that until the doomsday.

Back