Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

Well said, but this is something like a fan imagination what it could have been if....

Michael said he hadnt liked touring, he "hated" this.
He didnt want to tour this way, thats why there were only Londons gigs.

--- MJ never had the opportunity to prove his global popularity ---
Exactly, but that way MJs decision, he was aware of his ability and power to overcome everybody, but he did not do anything to do so. Nothing. (he imo, simply threw the chances away)

Id say, he was too passive, mostly known from tabloid and court rooms.
Thats why U2, RS or Madonna are known as - entertainers and performers with the biggest tours... and the biggest earnings...

Michael only relied on the past!, on former tours, former fame and fans were still "happy" or satisfied.

thats why there are only memories and remembering the past, the million times repeated and known performances up to the HIStory tour. theres nothing more.

I honestly believe that MJ was goign to make it big this time. I have feeling deep in my gut that he knew it was tome to stop messing around and he was really going to do this.

I have strong confidence in smoothcriminal05's numbers becuase all his predictions have been correct. Don't forget that AEG and others involved said he was goign to take this tour around the world.

I have strong faith that he could do this.

Well said, but this is something like a fan imagination what it could have been if....

Michael said he hadnt liked touring, he "hated" this.
He didnt want to tour this way, thats why there were only Londons gigs.

I agree with KB50MJ.,.Actually London shows was just the beginning of things to come.,if he pull off that no doubt he will thinking about a world tour.,.may be within 1 or 2 years after the shows. He has to do it at some stage of course, to keep the things alive.
Actually he hated to tour only in US.,,after the accusations he had in US.,that's why he left US. That's why his sudden death still cause lot of doubts because this all happened in the middle of huge comeback. He had huge plannings ahead of him. No doubt some people would want them to never happen. If it did happen as MJ wished he would have easily had another life in show biz.

Michael Jackson's estate has earned nearly $1billion since his death!

"Michael Jackson's estate has raked in close to a billion dollars in the year since he died.

The huge sum - from record sales and lucrative deals brokered by the estate - is 47 TIMES what the debt-ridden King Of Pop made the previous year.

That's nearly two thirds of what Elvis Presley's estate has made in the 33 YEARS since his death."

"A source said: "The estate has made around $900million (£614m) in cash since Michael's death. This is an incredible amount. No other artist has ever made that much since they died. It should ensure Michael goes down in history as the greatest artist of all time."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news...1bn-since-he-died-a-year-ago-115875-22313471/

Guys.,he has already earned 2/3 of what Great Elvis Presley's estate earned in 33-years after his death!
While he was alive he surpassed other artists by releasing one album and with his death he has surpassed all the other entertainers within one year!

don't forget the inflation.

about gaga gaga ^^
2 or 3 years, then its over. this is all only PR. nothing else. hype. the same like eminem and these other b-Stars. ^^

How Michael Jackson Earned 1 Billion!

This reuters article shows in comprehensive details how MJ/Estate earned 1 Billion. Like I also mentioned earlier, this article said MJ was supposed to tour the world after the O2 concerts. So he was considering a huge come-back. Even if he is alive he could have had very successful come-back. And it's obvious the surge of his album sales will happen any way if he died in another time. So you can't argue MJ had to die to be more successful.

MUSIC SALES -- VALUE: $429 MILLION
FILM/TV -- VALUE: $392 MILLION
MUSIC PUBLISHING -- VALUE: $130 MILLION
LICENSING/TOURING -- VALUE: $35 MILLION
RECORDING CONTRACT -- VALUE: $31 MILLION

According to the article: "The financial tragedy here is what might have been. Billboard reported before Jackson's death that the O2 shows would gross up to $100 million and merch possibly another $15 million. Beyond that, AEG had a 36-month global touring plan in place with Jackson had the run successfully been completed."

For full comprehensive break down:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE65H5TV20100621

MJ has sold approx 900,000 albums so far in the US this year. Overseas he has sold an additional 2,400,000 for a worldwide total of 3,300,000.

MJ has sold approx 900,000 albums so far in the US this year. Overseas he has sold an additional 2,400,000 for a worldwide total of 3,300,000.

3M+ worldwide....,are you possitive with this number Smooth??? That's lot. For an artist who has sold 30M+ albums last year without having any new albums.

Some of Michael Jackson's Biggest Billboard Chart Achievements;

When Jackson was 11 years old The Jackson 5 would become the first act to send its first four entries to the Hot 100's summit:

Title, Date Reached No. 1, Weeks at No. 1
"I Want You Back," Jan. 31, 1970, one
"ABC," April 25, 1970, two
"The Love You Save," June 27, 1970, two
"I'll Be There," Oct. 17, 1970, five

The Jackson 5 remains the only group to start with four consecutive Hot 100 leaders.

Jackson stands as the male artist with the most No. 1s in the 52-year history of the Hot 100.

Total No. 1s, Artist
13, Michael Jackson
10, Stevie Wonder
9, Elton John
9, Paul McCartney
9, Usher

Note: Elvis Presley had 17 prior to Hot 100 era.

Jackson likewise places atop the list of the male artists with the most top 10 hits, an honor shared with another former musical child prodigy, Stevie Wonder:

Total Top 10s, Artist
28, Michael Jackson
28, Stevie Wonder
27, Elton John
25, Elvis Presley
22, Paul McCartney

"Thriller" remains the album by a single artist with the most weeks at No. 1 in the 54-year archives of the Billboard 200.

Weeks at No. 1, Title, Artist, Date Reached No. 1
54, "West Side Story," (soundtrack), May 5, 1962
37, "Thriller," Michael Jackson, Feb. 26, 1983
31, "Rumours," Fleetwood Mac, April 2, 1977
31, "South Pacific," (soundtrack), May 19, 1958
31, "Calypso," Harry Belafonte, Sept. 8, 1956

Jackson's signature opus "Thriller" became the first album ever to generate seven Hot 100 top 10 titles.

Peak Pos., Title, Peak Date
No. 2, "The Girl Is Mine" (Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney), Jan. 8, 1983
No. 1 (seven weeks), "Billie Jean," March 5, 1983
No. 1 (three weeks), "Beat It," April 30, 1983
No. 5, "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'," July 16, 1983
No. 7, "Human Nature," Sept. 17, 1983
No. 10, "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)," Nov. 26, 1983
No. 4, "Thriller," March 3, 1984

Michael Jackson narrowly missed repeating such sevenfold success with "Bad," the follow-up to "Thriller." Six of the set's seven singles reached the top 10; only the album's sixth single, "Another Part of Me," fell short of the top tier, peaking at No. 11 in September 1988.

"Bad" became the only album in the Hot 100's history to yield five No. 1s:

Peak Pos., Title, Weeks at No. 1, Peak Date
"I Just Can't Stop Loving You" (with Siedah Garrett), one, Sept. 19, 1987
"Bad," two, Oct. 24, 1987
"The Way You Make Me Feel," one, Jan. 23, 1988
"Man in the Mirror," two, March 26, 1988
"Dirty Diana," one, July 2, 1988

When "You Rock My World" peaked at No. 10 on the Hot 100 the week of Sept. 22, 2001, Jackson became the only solo artist to post top 10 titles on the chart in each of the '70s, '80s, '90s and '00s. (And, that's not including the 17-8 rise of the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back" on the last Hot 100 of the '60s, dated Dec. 27, 1969).

Aerosmith is the only other act to collect top 10s in each decade from the '70s through the '00s.

Why are you posting only links?

----------

Jackson sells 35 million albums since death

LOS ANGELES — Michael Jackson has sold an estimated 35 million albums worldwide since his death one year ago today, according to Billboard — an unprecedented response to a musician's passing.

"Last year, when we saw the instant response from consumers wanting to purchase Jackson's albums, there was nothing to compare it to," Keith Caulfield, Billboard Senior Chart Manager and Analyst, told AccessHollywood.com. "Certainly since SoundScan began tracking sales in 1991."

While a shocking number of beloved musicians have suffered untimely deaths over the last two decades — Nirvana's Kurt Cobain, Jeff Buckley, Notorious B.I.G., Tupac Shakur, Aaliyah, TLC's Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes and Elliott Smith, to name a few — none have resonated with audiences quite like the King of Pop's.

According to Billboard, in the U.S. alone, he sold 9 million albums over the last 12 months, with another 800,000 for sales of his releases with his brothers as the Jackson 5 and Jacksons - and another 12.9 million track downloads.

The music sales are only part of a worldwide Jackson phenomenon that has included ringtones, ticket and home video sales for the Sony Pictures concert film "This Is It," publishing revenue and more, generating a reported billion dollars in overall grosses since the singer's death.

"This particular situation is unique — the reaction from fans, the reaction of the marketplace — all of that was uncharted territory," Caulfield said, adding that a sales bump is likely this week as fans honor the anniversary of Jackson's death. "His catalog is still selling quite well."

^ Why is it an issue if a member doesn't post the article here? Really who cares.

As for Michael... what a KING! He is bigger than Elvis and the Beatles put together! Love you Mikey so much xoxox

MJ ALBUM SALES THIS WEEK (US) June 30th 2010

-Number Ones jumps to #42 from #100 last week. The album sold 10,000 copies (up 85%)

-Essential jumps to #53 from #157 last week. It sold 8,000 copies (up 116%)

-Thriller re-enters the chart at #79. It sold 6,000 copies (up 71% from last week)

-This Is It re-enters the Billboard 200 chart at #96, selling 5,000 copies (up 64% from last week)

-In total, Jackson sold 40,000 albums this week in the US. Overseas, MJ albums sold an additional 75,000 albums for a global total this week of 115,000.

So 35m since his death?
Anyone know what the figure is on Thriller since 25/06/09?
And just out of curiosity, the This Is It album ww?

hey smooth criminal05, mj probably sold almost 80 million records, with the 35 million albums, dvd sales, ring tones, and singles all together , b/c last time you updated it was over 76 million records

MJ ALBUM SALES THIS WEEK (US) June 30th 2010

-Number Ones jumps to #42 from #100 last week. The album sold 10,000 copies (up 85%)

-Essential jumps to #53 from #157 last week. It sold 8,000 copies (up 116%)

-Thriller re-enters the chart at #79. It sold 6,000 copies (up 71% from last week)

-This Is It re-enters the Billboard 200 chart at #96, selling 5,000 copies (up 64% from last week)

-In total, Jackson sold 40,000 albums this week in the US. Overseas, MJ albums sold an additional 75,000 albums for a global total this week of 115,000.

Smooth.,.Good news...The actual MJ solo albums count is higher than your estimations last week in US. MJ has sold 43,000 units last week in US according to chart guru Paul Grein.

Last edited:
Britain’s Highest Selling Artist

Saturday, June 26th 2010

Michael is the biggest selling artist in Britain in the year since he died. Britain’s Official Chart Company has published the figures of his sales, with 2.8 million albums and 1.5 million singles.

The firm’s researchers have also listed Michael’s top 10 biggest selling singles and albums in the U.K. since his death, to mark the year anniversary. ‘Man in the Mirror’ was the most popular track, while ‘Billie Jean,’ ‘Thriller’ and ‘Smooth Criminal’ all sold more than 100,000 copies in the last year.

The biggest selling album in Britain since the Michael’s death is ‘The Essential’ - selling just over 600,000 copies in twelve months.

Source: Peacefmonline & MJWN

Saturday, June 26th 2010

Michael is the biggest selling artist in Britain in the year since he died. Britain’s Official Chart Company has published the figures of his sales, with 2.8 million albums and 1.5 million singles.

The firm’s researchers have also listed Michael’s top 10 biggest selling singles and albums in the U.K. since his death, to mark the year anniversary. ‘Man in the Mirror’ was the most popular track, while ‘Billie Jean,’ ‘Thriller’ and ‘Smooth Criminal’ all sold more than 100,000 copies in the last year.

The biggest selling album in Britain since the Michael’s death is ‘The Essential’ - selling just over 600,000 copies in twelve months.

Source: Peacefmonline & MJWN

thanks for news :)

US album sales update;

This week 7 michael Jackson albums are charted on BB 200. That's 3 more than the week of his first anniversary.

He has sold 54,000 albums this week in US, that's 11,000 more than the previous week.

With this weeks sales Michael Jackson go up from #18 to #16 on Soundscan's best sellers in it's history(dated back to 1991).

Note: These are official numers provided by chart veteran Mr. Paul Grein.

Last edited:
It's really awesome to see his other albums chart on the US BB chart. Especially since the only album they keep stressing on is Thriller. I hope that more people keep discovering that he does have other music and albums and that they are just as good as his earlier work.

US album sales update;

This week 7 michael Jackson albums are charted on BB 200. That's 3 more than the week of his first anniversary.

He has sold 54,000 albums this week in US, that's 11,000 more than the previous week.

With this weeks sales Michael Jackson go up from #18 to #16 on Soundscan's best sellers in it's history(dated back to 1991).

thank you so much cham :)

US album sales update;

thank u so much for info
It's really awesome to see his other albums chart on the US BB chart. Especially since the only album they keep stressing on is Thriller. I hope that more people keep discovering that he does have other music and albums and that they are just as good as his earlier work.
agree with u.

This week Michael Jackson's albums(solo) have sold 29,000 units in US.
According to Paul Grein with that he is another 5,260,000 albums away from top 10 rank in Nielsen Soundscan list, which dated back to 1991.

I think he will easily reach that target with upcoming new album which is scheduled to release later this year.

I'd say, based on RIAA certifications by 2017 (when Sony's 10 album deal is over), MJ will have sold about 80-82 million albums in the US putting him about #6 or #7 on the country's biggest selling acts.

Back