Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

^ Is that number just for the US or globally. I couldn't see them selling that in the US alone.

Yes.,it's correct. N Sync holds the record for biggest weekly sales. Their album "No Strings Attached" has sold mind boggling 2.4 million units in it's 1st week in US alone(Also worth mentioning that their album is the biggest selling album of last decade in US). They broke the record held by Backstreet Boys 1.13 million.
Then Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP sold 1.76 million to grab the 2nd place. Then also BSB's Black & Blue sold 1.6 million units in it's 1st week.
The record for female(solo or group) is goes to non other than another teen act Britney Spears.,her album Oops!…I Did It Again sold 1.3 million! Oops.

Yes this proves what Hess has said earlier. Teen girls are the best buyers.

Where are the figures for when "Thriller" was at it's peak?

Am I correct in assuming there aren't any from Neilsen/Soundscan/etc.?

If so, you can only say "NSync hold the record for biggest weekly sales SINCE 19XX" (or is it 20XX?).

I'm sure "Thriller" shipped/sold more than 2.4 million units during 1 week at its peak. I remember reading at the time that that "Thriller" had sold 1 million in Los Angeles alone during 1 week!!

If so, you can only say "NSync hold the record for biggest weekly sales SINCE 19XX" (or is it 20XX?).

I'm sure "Thriller" shipped/sold more than 2.4 million units during 1 week at its peak. I remember reading at the time that that "Thriller" had sold 1 million in Los Angeles alone during 1 week!!

No.,these are official numbers from NSScan.,eversince they start to measure the album sales.
Yes.,Deano, MJ may or may not have sold that much during that period. Thing is there were no such solid measures or accounting methods used those days.,specially weekly basis. So it's hard to say for certain how much Thriller has sold.
These are the records for weekly album sales in US.

No Soundscan wasn't around back in 83/84. It wasn't made until 1991.

But MJ did sell that much. At its peak around early-mid 1984 it was selling a million copies ever 4 days-every week. And yes in the year 1984 alone it sold over a million copies in Los Angeles.

There is a good book called Michael Jackson: The King of Pop by Lisa D. Campbell. Its VERY informative and goes in-depth about MJ and his career and stats. It was published in 1993, so it only covers from the Jackson 5 era-the Grammy awards in 1993(Dangerous era). So basically the book covers his peak.

http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Jackson-Lisa-D-Campbell/dp/082831957X

There is a good book called Michael Jackson: The King of Pop by Lisa D. Campbell. Its VERY informative and goes in-depth about MJ and his career and stats. It was published in 1993, so it only covers from the Jackson 5 era-the Grammy awards in 1993(Dangerous era). So basically the book covers his peak.

http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Jackson-Lisa-D-Campbell/dp/082831957X

It looks very cheap but - 7 used from $144.95 1 collectible from $450.00
:doh:

If I am not mistaken, its not N´Sync but the Beatles´ album 1´s is the biggest selling album of the last decade in the US.

Yes.,according to Billboard decade end issue #1s is the best selling album.,but with very little margin. Reason I mention N Sync's album is., I remember in some articles it was mentioned as the best selling album of last decade.

A Docementary about Michael Jackson has sold/distributed for 50 territories around the world to broadcast on June 25th.

"Shine International has sold Michael Jackson documentary Gone Too Soon and has sold it to 50 broadcasters internationally with plans to air it on the anniversary of his death.

The distributor has sold the two hour documentary, which is based on Ian Halperin's best selling book Unmasked: The Final Years of Michael Jackson, to US cable network TV Guide Network, which will air it on June 25.

The film, which has interviews with his manager, spiritual adviser and bodyguards as well as exclusive footage of Jackson himself, has also been sold to Globosat (Brazil), ProSiebenSat.1 (Germany), Fox International Channels (Italy/Greece), Mediaworks (New Zealand), Antenna1 (Romania), Foxtel (Australia), RTE (Ireland), TVNorge (Norway), MNet (South Africa), TV3 (Denmark), CPI (Philippines) and the Middle East's MBC."

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/421505_tvgif10.html
http://tbivision.com/article.php?category=4&article=1562

Last edited:
Smoothcriminal05. I know your a fan of lady gaga and of coarse MJ. So I wanted your true opinion on this.

Lady Gaga is breaking selling tons of records and having monumental success. Now I know she isn't and can't be bigger than MJ. But whats your total outlook on Gaga's success and how she stacks up against MJ? And do you think she will last for years to come?

I'm asking becuase I got into this argument with these girls the other day who think Gaga is better than MJ and is taking his crown.

^ exactly, GAGA rules the world.

But I see her as the one-off artist, she is the part of the new wave of music artists, because after the RnB and Rap and Hip-Hop waves... there has been the empty space in music, the British pop-rock is not IN and dance music is still about summer time.

GaGa will be in 5-10 years "old bromide"...

Definitely, she will not break the main MJs music records, especially in sales.
yes, GaGa will rule YouTube, but... its nothing special.

The thing is that Michael will never be able to do anything himself, even though he still had the potential and power, he was universal..., but..., now only MJ fans can DO something and change something, who else?

^^^^^There was an interesting article on Youtubes video views and MJ and Gaga: http://raaawb.wordpress.com/2010/03/27/michael-jackson-vs-lady-gaga-for-billion-views/

Its hows how facts are being distorted with her. Here is another thing as well:

"This week, Lady Gaga’s latest single “Alejandro” climbed to #9 on the United World Chart, making The Fame (Monster) the only album in history to deliver seven worldwide Top 10 hits! Michael Jackson’s Thriller contains six songs that reached Top 10 on the chart."

http://gagadaily.com/2010/05/lady-gaga-breaks-world-chart-record-with-alejandro/

ONE THING EVERYONE IS FORGETTING TO MENTION HERE!!!

The quote from that Lady gaga site said Thriller only had 6 top 10 hits. Thriller had 7.(The Girl is Mine #2 Billie Jean #1, Beat It #1, Wanna Be Startin Somthin #5, Human Nature #7, PYT #10, and Thriller #4.) So NO, Gaga didn't break that record. She only did what MJ already accomplished over 25 years ago.

I HATE IT when people distort facts like that to try and bring others above MJ.

But for a moment I was very shocked by the amount of success lady GaGa is having.

She has to be one of the biggest stars I have seen in a LONG time. Her video Bad Romance is the #1 video in Youtube history. First video to reach over 200 million views.

Other than MJ, she is the top selling artist of the last 2 years, and she is talked about a lot.

Probably becuase she does have good dance music and she is being more different than anyone out there today.

Look, if we can rely on official sources and people who can confirm only official statistics, dont worry, its only about Gaga´s fans agenda.

Official statistics can not twist the facts.
Bad Romance (I love the song btw) reached 224 700 000 clicks, her fans are doing it purposely, the more clicking the better for her, why MJ fans are nt able to join for Michael like this?
Well, they are satisfied with MJ boards as the only right place... for them, the outside world is for many of them - unimportant until the time when Michael will lose his records...

How many albums has she sold... so far? you said she was the top selling artists of the last 2 years.

I dont think she will be a big deal in 10 years, the problem for her is that her fashion styles and imagination have limits, people will be bored with such presentation..., its creative, innovative now, but in 10 years ... I am not sure of that.
Her music is nothing special..., just a great dance song, but there are so many great dance songs....

and that link to the blog about the video ratings I posted a few months ago..., pretty impressive.

Lady Gaga is by far the most popular artist the world has seen in a long time. She is gaining popularity heavily overseas which is what makes her bigger then many of the big US acts of the past (who are usually restricted to US popularity). Does she have a chance of being larger then MJ? No. It's that simple. We live in a different world today and it's much harder for artists to capture an entire population the way MJ did.

I can see this album being Gaga's most popular. It's been jam packed of hits, which is rare for most artists today. Her FAME album has literally had 7-8 chart worthy songs, that are not just good...they are great! I myself enjoy most of her material. So I can't deny it. She is giving music consumers something completely different compared to the competition. She is heavily influenced by Madonna, anyone could have told you that. Her aura/way of dealing with the media reminds me of MJ a bit. She does not over expose herself, she keeps to herself generally, and remains a "mystery" to many. She also has the eccentric factor playing in her favor. Because of this, as I said a year ago, Lady Gaga will go where you have seen no recent artists go. In the end, while she will probably not make it to the likes of Elvis, MJ, The Beatles, she will still make her mark in the industry.

Lady Gaga is by far the most popular artist the world has seen in a long time. She is gaining popularity heavily overseas which is what makes her bigger then many of the big US acts of the past (who are usually restricted to US popularity). Does she have a chance of being larger then MJ? No. It's that simple. We live in a different world today and it's much harder for artists to capture an entire population the way MJ did.

I can see this album being Gaga's most popular. It's been jam packed of hits, which is rare for most artists today. Her FAME album has literally had 7-8 chart worthy songs, that are not just good...they are great! I myself enjoy most of her material. So I can't deny it. She is giving music consumers something completely different compared to the competition. She is heavily influenced by Madonna, anyone could have told you that. Her aura/way of dealing with the media reminds me of MJ a bit. She does not over expose herself, she keeps to herself generally, and remains a "mystery" to many. She also has the eccentric factor playing in her favor. Because of this, as I said a year ago, Lady Gaga will go where you have seen no recent artists go. In the end, while she will probably not make it to the likes of Elvis, MJ, The Beatles, she will still make her mark in the industry.

do you think her poularity will overshadow the likes of beyonce, janet and britney spears?

Speaking of over exposing herself, that's what GAGA was doing yesterday at a base ball game here in her home town NY. She is all over the headlines photograghed in her under wear acting very much the spoil rock star.She dissed every one in her path especially the fans. Photogs caught her drinking beer and giving the fans the finger, because they were booing her disrespectful behavior.

Last edited:
Speaking of over exposing herself, that's what GAGA was doing yesterday at a base ball game here in her home town NY. She is all over the headlines photograghed in her under wear acting very much the spoil rock star.She dissed every one in her path especially the fans. Photogs caught her drinking beer and giving the fans the finger, because they were booing her for her disrespectful behavior.

really they showed her doing on the news ?

I can see some of you are Gaga fans. But her music is nowhere near the standard of the people she is compared with. The Fame has one solitary awesome song on it which is Poker face. As MJ once said real talent will always come through in the end, her shock tactics will fade if the music doesn't live up to it. Her second proper full album, not including the monster version of the fame has to be far better than the fame or she will fade. Once the electro/synth pop/ dance revival era ends she will be finished mark my words.

Look, if we can rely on official sources and people who can confirm only official statistics, dont worry, its only about Gaga´s fans agenda.

Official statistics can not twist the facts.
Bad Romance (I love the song btw) reached 224 700 000 clicks, her fans are doing it purposely, the more clicking the better for her, why MJ fans are nt able to join for Michael like this?
Well, they are satisfied with MJ boards as the only right place... for them, the outside world is for many of them - unimportant until the time when Michael will lose his records...

How many albums has she sold... so far? you said she was the top selling artists of the last 2 years.

I dont think she will be a big deal in 10 years, the problem for her is that her fashion styles and imagination have limits, people will be bored with such presentation..., its creative, innovative now, but in 10 years ... I am not sure of that.
Her music is nothing special..., just a great dance song, but there are so many great dance songs....

and that link to the blog about the video ratings I posted a few months ago..., pretty impressive.

Other than MJ, yes she has been the biggest star of the last 2 years. What shes doing now is good and thats why shes so big. But she needs to change things up like MJ did if she wants to stay on top. On every album MJ had a different sound and a different look. And his music was still great, thats why he was so successful for so long. He didn't stick to the same old stuff. He changed his sound and look all the time.

And about the video views. Remember this is more than likely Gaga's peak. So shes goign to get a lot of views. But there was no Youtube in Michael's peak. Do you know how many views MJ would have had for his music videos back with Thriller Bad and Dangerous? Black or white was viewed by over 500 million people on TV. IMAGINE what it should have been like if there was such thing as Youtube back in the day.

Yes, thats what I like about gaga, is that she is doing things that no artist in the past decade are doing. And she is very successful. Shes giving people something different, but its nothing revolutionary like that Elvis, the beatles, or MJ did.

But her success is remarkable. Shes sold 15 million albums and over 40 million digital singles. 55 million records.

I can see some of you are Gaga fans. But her music is nowhere near the standard of the people she is compared with. The Fame has one solitary awesome song on it which is Poker face. As MJ once said real talent will always come through in the end, her shock tactics will fade if the music doesn't live up to it. Her second proper full album, not including the monster version of the fame has to be far better than the fame or she will fade. Once the electro/synth pop/ dance revival era ends she will be finished mark my words.

My same thoughts. She only seems like shes doing elctro dance pop. Her whole album seems that way. Unless she can do something different by the time of her next album, her career will die.

Guys.,no need of worrying. Gaga is popular but she is still a kid in the block. Madonna is far far larger than her. If she ever want to be #1 she has to overtake Madonna first. Only fans have this kind of arguments even Gaga herself treats Madonna like her role model. KB50MJ.,you started this by saying Gaga is popular than MJ and she is going to take his crown. So who has the crown already? If she has to take it from him he is the reignning King.

And first of all "Fame" is no "Thriller".,Fame initially had 6 less songs than the re-issued Fame Monster which is what now. She can add another 5,6 songs to it in it's 2 year anniversary and go on and say she had 15 top 10 hits in one album? WHo buy this crap? And will The Rolling Stones magazine put Gaga's Fame album ahead of "Thriller" ever :D., She will not make to even top 50! And will any of her songs like Poker Face will ever add to Greatest 100 songs of all time list! "Thriller is one of the most essential and greatest albums ever made.,and hits like "Billie Jean" are among the greatest hits of all time. These are the real things that they should look at when you talking about being best. When there is no competition and when there is less good quality songs any song can reach to #1.

The media is giving too much attention to her because the music industry is in it's worst state.,so they need atleast someone to hold it from collapsing. She is no good live singer nor great performer.,she is only good at showing off her personal assests.

And are you seriously believe Gaga can fill those huge satdiums like MJ did on his "Bad", "Dangerous" and "HIStory" tours....It's even impossible to think. (even Madonna couldn't break the attendance record even she had such lenghthy tours).

KB50MJ if anyone argues Gaga is better/popular than MJ.,just ask why not she do world tour...like Fame Monster!!! :D Then you can really understand how big is this Gaga!

They are making her popular that is what it is.,she is no way near the popularity of Michael Jackson.

Last edited:
Guys.,no need of worrying. Gaga is popular but she is still a kid in the block. Madonna is far far larger than her. If she ever want to be #1 she has to overtake Madonna first. Only fans have this kind of arguments even Gaga herself treats Madonna like her role model. KB50MJ.,you started this by saying Gaga is popular than MJ and she is going to take his crown. So who has the crown already? If she has to take it from him he is the reignning King.

And first of all "Fame" is no "Thriller".,Fame initially had 6 less songs than the re-issued Fame Monster which is what now. She can add another 5,6 songs to it in it's 2 year anniversary and go on and say she had 15 top 10 hits in one album? WHo buy this crap? And will The Rolling Stones magazine put Gaga's Fame album ahead of "Thriller" ever :D., She will not make to even top 50! And will any of her songs like Poker Face will ever add to Greatest 100 songs of all time list! "Thriller is one of the most essential and greatest albums ever made.,and hits like "Billie Jean" are among the greatest hits of all time. These are the real things that they should look at when you talking about being best. When there is no competition and when there is less good quality songs any song can reach to #1.

The media is giving too much attention to her because the music industry is in it's worst state.,so they need atleast someone to hold it from collapsing. She is no good live singer nor great performer.,she is only good at showing off her personal assests.

And are you seriously believe Gaga can fill those huge satdiums like MJ did on his "Bad", "Dangerous" and "HIStory" tours....It's even impossible to think. (even Madonna couldn't break the attendance record even she had such lenghthy tours).

KB50MJ if anyone argues Gaga is better/popular than MJ.,just ask why not she do world tour...like Fame Monster!!! :D Then you can really understand how big is this Gaga!

They are making her popular that is what it is.,she is no way near the popularity of Michael Jackson.

I never said Gaga was bigger than MJ. I am the LAST person who would say something like that. i was quoting some girls at my school who said that. I don't agree with them at all.

Trust me, if there is anyone who knows about MJ's accomplishments its me. Check out the article I wrote just listing his achievements and impact: http://www.maximum-jackson.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=5138

I agree with all that your saying. I could go on and on forever talking about Michael's achievements and impact in comparison to other artists.

No solo artist could ever top MJ's attendance figures for his concert tours. Unfortunately groups like U2 and Rolling Stones topped his attendance figures, but no solo artist has.

The reality is, if Michael Jackson was alive and went on a 3 to 4 year massive global tour. He could easily blow away U2 and The Rolling Stone's attendance figures. Because as big as U2 and The Rolling Stones are, MJ is bigger then the both combined. I honestly believe that MJ could perform to over 10 million people globally. Just think about it this way, he sold out 50 arena shows in London (1 million people) and presale numbers showed he could have sold out the O2 140 times (2.7 million people). That's just in London alone! Imagine if MJ went to Canada, US, Mexico, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, Australia, etc. Imagine MJ toured for 3 years straight? He easily could have performed for 10, maybe 12 million...which would blow away U2's record. MJ's last tour was in 1996 and things have changed alot since then. MJ never had the opportunity to prove his global popularity.

The reality is, if Michael Jackson was alive and went on a 3 to 4 year massive global tour. He could easily blow away U2 and The Rolling Stone's attendance figures. Because as big as U2 and The Rolling Stones are, MJ is bigger then the both combined. I honestly believe that MJ could perform to over 10 million people globally. Just think about it this way, he sold out 50 arena shows in London (1 million people) and presale numbers showed he could have sold out the O2 140 times (2.7 million people). That's just in London alone! Imagine if MJ went to Canada, US, Mexico, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, Australia, etc. Imagine MJ toured for 3 years straight? He easily could have performed for 10, maybe 12 million...which would blow away U2's record. MJ's last tour was in 1996 and things have changed alot since then. MJ never had the opportunity to prove his global popularity.

Very true. The tour with the highest attendance of all time is Rolling Stones with 6 million.

And this is another reason why I'm upset MJ never got to do his tour, becuase I knew he was goign to blow everyone out of the water. He does with everyone.

At least he still holds many records with his tours though.

Bad Tour:
- the tour remains the second largest tour for a solo artist in terms of attendance, a record only surpassed by Michael himself.

- the tour also holds the record for Most Successful Concert Series Ever; Michael sold out for seven nights at the legendary Wembley Stadium, London, England. A total of 504,000 people saw Michael perform at the legendary stadium in the summer of 1988.

Dangerous Tour:
- The tour was again sponsored by Pepsi for $20 million topping Michael's previous record-breaking deal with Pepsi back in 1986 for the largest endorsement deal ever.

- Jackson sold the film rights to his concert in Bucharest, Romania to HBO for $21 million. The deal was the highest ever paid for a live concert.

- he concert was broadcast live on radio and shown on TV across 61 countries, and received the highest TV ratings in the history of the network of HBO with an audience of 250 million people.

HIStory Tour:
- the biggest tour ever in terms of international attendance (4.4 million tickets outside of USA)

- the largest tour in terms of attendance for a solo artist with 4.5 million fans.

- most countries visited by any artist wit ha record 35.

- largest and most successful tour by a solo artist. A record which was previously held by Jackson's Dangerous Tour and before that his Bad Tour.

Well said, but this is something like a fan imagination what it could have been if....

Michael said he hadnt liked touring, he "hated" this.
He didnt want to tour this way, thats why there were only Londons gigs.

--- MJ never had the opportunity to prove his global popularity ---
Exactly, but that way MJs decision, he was aware of his ability and power to overcome everybody, but he did not do anything to do so. Nothing. (he imo, simply threw the chances away)

Id say, he was too passive, mostly known from tabloid and court rooms.
Thats why U2, RS or Madonna are known as - entertainers and performers with the biggest tours... and the biggest earnings...

Michael only relied on the past!, on former tours, former fame and fans were still "happy" or satisfied.

thats why there are only memories and remembering the past, the million times repeated and known performances up to the HIStory tour. theres nothing more.

Back