Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

I am looking forward for MTV/VH1/Rolling Stone to renew these lists. Nobody has issued a big "Top 500 albums of all time" or "Top 100 songs of all time", or "Top 100 music videos of all time", etc since MJ died. The respect is higher now. I would almost guarantee that MJ would rank much higher with more entries in the list. I am looking forward to the first list like that.

I am looking forward for MTV/VH1/Rolling Stone to renew these lists. Nobody has issued a big "Top 500 albums of all time" or "Top 100 songs of all time", or "Top 100 music videos of all time", etc since MJ died. The respect is higher now. I would almost guarantee that MJ would rank much higher with more entries in the list. I am looking forward to the first list like that.

My thoughts exactly,he would definitely rank higher now ,how high ?not too sure cause the rolling stone people dont really like or respect michael. I couldnt believe what they wrote in their supposed tribute mag,it was full of tabloid crap and they are supposed to be the gold standard.
Am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for a better review.

They are mainly based on opinions from different people. Lists like those get put out all the time. They mean nothing in the grand schema of things.

well, i never look at those lists and i don't even know why i googled that list ?? i was just wondering what MITM ranked and imagine my SHOCK when I didn't see it :bugeyed

i think you are right though.... it is meaningless:hysterical:

Yea, how to get started. lol

Someone can sign up for a blog like site or wiki. If it's a wiki then it is open to everyone to be able to go in and change stuff. Or we can add a page to wiki, like here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Beatles'_record_sales

Or someone goes to GoDaddy and pay for an actual domain and then it will look more official that way. Kinda like a "Michael Jackson's Official Album and Single Sales Data." Then we can add other things, such as relevant articles and the such. That would be awesome.

I've been fighting this for a while on Wikipedia, but I'm beginning to lose hope... As we all know, stupidly, Elvis is placed above Michael on the Best Selling Artist's list, yet the sources for Elvis' are poor, and all offer a figure which they claim to be "estimated by other sources." Michael's won't even be allowed move up to 780 million with the 29-31 album sales of 2009, and into the number two slot, behind The Beatles. Okay, yeah we all know the 750 million isn't physical album sales, but neither is any of the figures for any artist in this list.

The Username: "--Harout72" is the reason Michael is mis-represented. He/She CONTINUOUSLY reverts any attempt to change Michael's figures with reliable sources and fights against Michael, claiming Sony made up all Michael's sales to recapture sales and fame? He/She is either racist, disliking of Michael, an Elvis and/or Beatles fanatic or all of the above.

It's a bit annoying really, because let's face it, internet journalism will ALWAYS stop to look at Wikipedia for "facts" about artists.

Someone can sign up for a blog like site or wiki. If it's a wiki then it is open to everyone to be able to go in and change stuff. Or we can add a page to wiki, like here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Beatles'_record_sales

Or someone goes to GoDaddy and pay for an actual domain and then it will look more official that way. Kinda like a "Michael Jackson's Official Album and Single Sales Data." Then we can add other things, such as relevant articles and the such. That would be awesome.

How much does a domain coast? Because I would love to do that.

I've been fighting this for a while on Wikipedia, but I'm beginning to lose hope... As we all know, stupidly, Elvis is placed above Michael on the Best Selling Artist's list, yet the sources for Elvis' are poor, and all offer a figure which they claim to be "estimated by other sources." Michael's won't even be allowed move up to 780 million with the 29-31 album sales of 2009, and into the number two slot, behind The Beatles. Okay, yeah we all know the 750 million isn't physical album sales, but neither is any of the figures for any artist in this list.

If there was a site that was dedicated to Mike's own figures and it was named accordingly, it will be the top item on Google when someone is doing a search for it. As long as the site contains source info then it will be seen as credible and then more people will try to fix that information on wiki because there's a place that has that information. If this user, continuously, tries to deny people that chance then more people will, ultimately, begin to complain to the wiki staff about it.

At least, that's what I hope. I, also, think that if the site can contain the big two acts then that would be even better, because then it can dispel exaggerations on all of them even though some people will always claim bias since it's, mostly, a MJ site. For example, even though the Beatles are big sellers MJ moves more units p/album then anyone else. That's why he can have more than half of his discography in the top 20 best selling albums worldwide. I always like it when others try and deny that.

How much does a domain coast? Because I would love to do that.

Well, getting a blog and/or wiki can be done for free. If you are looking for a '.com' or a '.org.' There are plenty of webhosts who offer plans for you and will register the domain for you. I will PM you information. MJDangerous has a free site of his own that's he's working on also. He should, really, rename his to "Worldwide Album Sales" instead so that it comes up in google searches.

For the mean time a page for MJ's record sales on wiki can be created just as there is one for the Beatles.

Last edited:

The Username: "--Harout72" is the reason Michael is mis-represented. He/She CONTINUOUSLY reverts any attempt to change Michael's figures with reliable sources and fights against Michael, claiming Sony made up all Michael's sales to recapture sales and fame? He/She is either racist, disliking of Michael, an Elvis and/or Beatles fanatic or all of the above.

It's a bit annoying really, because let's face it, internet journalism will ALWAYS stop to look at Wikipedia for "facts" about artists.

:smilerolleyes:

I experienced the same.... :bugeyed

Simply, its not open for everyone, and its totally expurgated.
We have to post many complaints to the official Wiki administrators, and complain to the censorship.

We have to point out to the absurd censorship and inability to upgrade generally available and/or official info about Michael updated after 2009, and to point out that Elvis or the Beatles pages are overrated and many quotations or sources are unofficial and fan made information, mostly not existing ONLY estimated on fictitious numbers, never proven or authenticated ...

Thats why we have to create ("our") Michael Jackson Legacy: Achievement Page (MJLAP) to be presented on the Internet, with trustworthy and official sources, ask Sony or MJ Estate for additional info and ask for any official status of/for the page.

Then try to upgrade Wiki, Ask.com and other online encyclopedias

Okay, I appear to be making ground on at least "adding" in the 31 million records sold post humously from Michael, but again, this guy seems to think it's fine to take sources claiming higher sales for The Beatles, ABBA and Elvis but when it comes to Michael, he's actually looking for reversion of the 750 million, and replacing it solely with 350 million?!

He/She seems to think that it's fine to include all sales (albums, singles, downloads, DVDs, videos, movies, etc.) in the figures for the four of the top five sellers, but when it comes to Michael, he/she is looking for a just album and single sales figure!

As far as a site dedicated to Michael for evidence, this would be a bad idea. The BEST way to place what they deem "high quality" sources would be an outlet like The Wall Street Journal, CNN, etc. or better yet, a press release from Sony Music themselves.

If a MJ achievement page was "certified" as "official" by Sony, it would be easier, but of course, for Elvis or The beatles there are almost no official and authorized info about sales from the 50s, 60s, 70s, especially the "billion" numbers, in fact, the list of best selling albums contradicts itself with the list of best selling artists, (I think) no album of Elvis has reached over 10 mill. ... and so on..., so thats why we would have to search for additional info about Elvis and The Beatles and point out to the contradictions despite the factual and officially confirmed info about Michaels sales, and compare them.

So, its just our "mission" to create a web that could be found via google only about MJs achievements, and it needs to be recognizable by used words like - best selling artist, King (of Pop), most successful artist...

As far as a site dedicated to Michael for evidence, this would be a bad idea. The BEST way to place what they deem "high quality" sources would be an outlet like The Wall Street Journal, CNN, etc. or better yet, a press release from Sony Music themselves.

I meant that as long as the site is referencing "more credible" references so that whoever is making the changes to wiki can site the same ones as well. That way they can't justify the censorship of the information. If they are then people need to complain about it to the admins of the site, because that is wrong.

Hey guys, I am more than happy to do this. The only problem is that I don't have any money to pay for a page or anyhting like that.

But if someone on here has the money, or if we all chip in, I would get started right away on the design and info that should go into the entire site.

I'm telling ya, I can get all info regarding sales, chart positions, charity events, awards, from books, websites, ect.

Maybe we should run this by Gaz and see if we can set up a project here on MJJC to make this happen. I can also talk to some people on other boards to try and make this happen as well.

^ I think thats a great idea. What would be even better is if we can get an endorsement from Sony music. Regardless, MJ needs a page on the net that has all his accomplishments, record sales, unit sales, etc. It has to show a complete breakdown with sources so that the skeptics can be proved wrong.

Yeah, well certifiable or at least reliably sourced info would be such a massive asset in the fight to establish Michael as the second best selling act in history, but something tells me Sony won't be too keen...

^ I think thats a great idea. What would be even better is if we can get an endorsement from Sony music. Regardless, MJ needs a page on the net that has all his accomplishments, record sales, unit sales, etc. It has to show a complete breakdown with sources so that the skeptics can be proved wrong.

Skeptics are skeptics for a reason. The best thing to do is to prove it to those who are on the fence as they will most likely be more likely to believe it and start spreading the news to everyone else. That way there's more believers and the skeptics will have less power.

That's what I think anyways.

Yes, If we get together and do this, we can make it happen.

Btw, just for those interested. For the past three (3) weeks MJ has sold just over 10,000 albums each week in the US, back to where he was the week before he died last year.

Globally, Jackson has sold roughly 30,000 to 35,000 albums each week for the past three weeks. Therefore, total global album sales for the last three weeks combined are 100,000.

Btw, just for those interested. For the past three (3) weeks MJ has sold just over 10,000 albums each week in the US, back to where he was the week before he died last year.

Globally, Jackson has sold roughly 30,000 to 35,000 albums each week for the past three weeks. Therefore, total global album sales for the last three weeks combined are 100,000.

hey do u know how many units he sold since last year and now altogether?

Yep, unit sales for 2009:

CD's: 30,000,000
Singles/Digital Downloads: 24,000,000
DVD's: 5,000,000
Ringtones: 2,500,000

TOTAL: 61,500,000
---

Unit Sales For 2010 (up to May 20th 2010)

CD's: 3,000,000
Singles/Digital Downloads: 1,200,000
DVD's: 11,000,000
Ringtones: 50,000

TOTAL: 15,250,000

TOTAL UNIT SALES FROM JANUARY 1st 2009 THROUGH MAY 20th 2010: 76,750,000

*These figures are global.

It is my estimation that this figure will rise to 100,000,000 (one hundred million) by years end with the new album and a brand new single set to be released by years end. Also with increased interest in the Mj catalogue during the end of June and end of August due to high media coverage.

Yep, unit sales for 2009:

CD's: 30,000,000
Singles/Digital Downloads: 24,000,000
DVD's: 5,000,000
Ringtones: 2,500,000

TOTAL: 61,500,000
---

Unit Sales For 2010 (up to May 20th 2010)

CD's: 3,000,000
Singles/Digital Downloads: 1,200,000
DVD's: 11,000,000
Ringtones: 50,000

TOTAL: 15,250,000

TOTAL UNIT SALES FROM JANUARY 1st 2009 THROUGH MAY 20th 2010: 76,750,000

*These figures are global.

It is my estimation that this figure will rise to 100,000,000 (one hundred million) by years end with the new album and a brand new single set to be released by years end. Also with increased interest in the Mj catalogue during the end of June and end of August due to high media coverage.

To add onto this. Do you know how many records each album sold separately since the April?

Since April 1st 2010:

Off The Wall: 50,000
Thriller: 110,000
Bad: 70,000
Dangerous: 55,000
HIStory: 30,000
BOTDF: 8,000
Invincible: 20,000
Number Ones: 180,000
This Is It: 100,000
Essential: 80,000
Other: 50,000

TOTAL album sales since April 1st 2010: 653,000
TOTAL album sales from Jan 1st 2010 to March 31st 2010: 2,350,000

Since April 1st 2010:

Off The Wall: 50,000
Thriller: 110,000
Bad: 70,000
Dangerous: 55,000
HIStory: 30,000
BOTDF: 8,000
Invincible: 20,000
Number Ones: 180,000
This Is It: 100,000
Essential: 80,000
Other: 50,000

TOTAL album sales since April 1st 2010: 653,000
TOTAL album sales from Jan 1st 2010 to March 31st 2010: 2,350,000

Thanks.

100 million albums sold this year with the new album coming? - Maybe that's a little high estimate isn't it? - The new album will maybe sell 6-7 million this year, and when the MJ hype comes all of his albums will sell better than usual. But I think 100 million albums total this year is a little unrealistic.

I think maybe 60-70 million total sales this year i realistic. - But it's all guessing and speculating.

I hope MJ will sell 100+ million this year, but I honestly don't believe so.

Back