Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

US ALBUM SALES THIS WEEK (March 31st 2010)

-No MJ albums made the Top 50.

-Sales have settled down now, MJ sold 45,000 albums this week in the US

-So far in the first 3 months of 2010, MJ has sold 925,000 albums in the US

-Sales will continue to be around 40,000 or so until some big MJ news happens. I would suspect nothing dramatic will be seen until June when the press starts talking about the 1 year anniversary and many TV specials are aired.

US ALBUM SALES THIS WEEK (March 31st 2010)
-Sales will continue to be around 40,000 or so until some big MJ news happens. I would suspect nothing dramatic will be seen until June when the press starts talking about the 1 year anniversary and many TV specials are aired.

Was 40K usually a normal number for him? It's just really interesting because it took almost 1 full year before they settled down to this number. That's a really long time. Then, come June I agree that they'll go up again.

^ The week before MJ died his catalog sold approximately 10,000 albums, his average was around 15,000. So we are still up 4X the norm.

So do you think MJ was our last global megastar? Becuase I can't think of anyone since MJ that has had trmendous success worldide like he has.

When you think of it, he redefined what a global megastar is. Becuas say MJ was never around, we would probably be considering peopel like Maddanna, The Rolling Stones, U2, Marhia Carey, etc. megastars. But when MJ came around he took it to a whole new level that we can't really consider those other artists to have megastar status.

No one can touch him in sales, records, achivments, awards, touring, etc.

MJ really was the our last global mega star. Everybody else could be considered a "super star" like Madonna, Rolling Stones, U2, Mariah Carey, etc. MJ simply took it to a new level. In reality, the only musical acts at his level were The Beatles, Elvis, and maybe Frank Sinatra. Nobody else came close. MJ was literally one in a billion. To die and be remembered as one of the top 3 biggest acts in music history...now that's an accomplishment any star would dream of.

MJ really was the our last global mega star. Everybody else could be considered a "super star" like Madonna, Rolling Stones, U2, Mariah Carey, etc. MJ simply took it to a new level. In reality, the only musical acts at his level were The Beatles, Elvis, and maybe Frank Sinatra. Nobody else came close. MJ was literally one in a billion. To die and be remembered as one of the top 3 biggest acts in music history...now that's an accomplishment any star would dream of.

Yup. Elvis had to die to be considered one of the top 3 of all time in terms of sales. I'm not sure about the Beatles, but the deaths of Lennon and Harrison had a massive impact on their sales.

But MJ was already in the top 3 for about 20 years now. So I can only imagine where he'll be 30 years from now in death.

If your interested I wrote an article on all of MJ's records and success over the years on another MJ fan board: http://www.maximum-jackson.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=5138

Its pretty long, but worth the read for all those who want to have a complete comprehensive look at MJ's achievements over the years.

Last edited:
smooth criminal05, can u tell me how much thriller sold so far in the us this year?
and can u tell me how much for the project (movie, dvd, blue ray,...) of "this is it" so far?

^Thriller has sold 110,000 copies in 2010 in the US

This Is It has made $260 million in theaters, $190 million in DVD sales, and $50 million in revenue for the CD soundtrack. That means so far the THIS IS IT project has grossed over $600 million.

US SALES THIS WEEK (April 7th 2010)

-Just a quick update, MJ sold 44,000 albums this week in the US

-NO albums made the Top 50 again.

This Is It has made $260 million in theaters, $190 million in DVD sales, and $50 million in revenue for the CD soundtrack. That means so far the THIS IS IT project has grossed over $600 million.

that's actually a $100 million more than you anticipated, great news :D

this is only for 9 months and only TII, so... what about the rest of MJs portfolio?
+ MJ record sales and the record deal (at least 200m.- dollars) its over 1 billion dollars only for 9 months, right?
Michael could/should be a TOP earning person in entertainment! Guinness book could write it down... in their 2011 edition.

Last edited:
^ Yep, i made a post about it a few pages back that since MJ's death he has grossed over 1.1 billion dollars. This includes ALL MJ related material sold ranging from CD's, DVD's, Downloads, Music Publishing, Memorabilia, TII Revenue, etc

It's sad he had to die for these people to pay attention to him again. This happens a lot with celebrities. I don't get it.

Michael Jackson's GLOBAL SALES THIS WEEK: (April 9th 2010)

-TII just remains the global Top 40, at #38. The album sold 32,000 copies this week, the same as last week.

-TII has sold over 5 million copies since its release internationally according to Sony. According to Media Traffic, the number is 3.9 million because they do not count all markets.

-TII has spent 23 weeks in the Global Top 40 chart. Not bad for a movie soundtrack!

-Jackson sold 125,000 albums across the world this week, down from 128,000 the week before.

-MJ has sold 2,350,000 albums so far in 2010 around the world.

wow.. 5 million for this is it? 2.35 million so far in 2010? This is pretty incredible numbers. I think we will inch very closely to the 3 Million figure by the end of april. Not bad for the first third!. If the next two thirds sell as much then MJ could sell around 9 million units this year! Pretty incredible!

thats for the first 3 months?

Michael Jackson's GLOBAL SALES THIS WEEK: (April 9th 2010)

-TII just remains the global Top 40, at #38. The album sold 32,000 copies this week, the same as last week.

-TII has sold over 5 million copies since its release internationally according to Sony. According to Media Traffic, the number is 3.9 million because they do not count all markets.

-TII has spent 23 weeks in the Global Top 40 chart. Not bad for a movie soundtrack!

-Jackson sold 125,000 albums across the world this week, down from 128,000 the week before.

-MJ has sold 2,350,000 albums so far in 2010 around the world.

Thats great.
We're only in the forth month of the year and he has sold 2,350,000. Imagine what the figure will be at the end of the year !!

^Especially considering what we have ahead:

-The month of June will see much higher record sales globally due to a renewed interest in Jackson due to his 1 year death anniversary. There will be MJ documentaries, a marketing push by Sony at record stores and I-Tunes, news articles, etc.

-August will be another strong month for MJ sales specifically towards the end of the month as his 52nd Bday is celebrated.

-September will see higher sales as the impact of the first single from MJ's new album is felt. The song will be on radio by this time and be available as a single. I personally am expecting the song to hit #1 in the US as well as other international markets. It would give MJ his first #1 hit on the Billboard 100 since 1995. If he achieves this, he would be the most successful artist in US history in terms of longevity. (His first #1 as a solo artist was in 1972 with Ben, meaning his chart history would extend to 38 years)

-The typical Halloween sales increase that is associated with MJ's catalogue, particularly due to Thriller

-Come November the new album will be released and set off a firestorm of MJ sales around the world which will last right into the Christmas season.

^Especially considering what we have ahead:

-The month of June will see much higher record sales globally due to a renewed interest in Jackson due to his 1 year death anniversary. There will be MJ documentaries, a marketing push by Sony at record stores and I-Tunes, news articles, etc.

-August will be another strong month for MJ sales specifically towards the end of the month as his 52nd Bday is celebrated.

-September will see higher sales as the impact of the first single from MJ's new album is felt. The song will be on radio by this time and be available as a single. I personally am expecting the song to hit #1 in the US as well as other international markets. It would give MJ his first #1 hit on the Billboard 100 since 1995. If he achieves this, he would be the most successful artist in US history in terms of longevity. (His first #1 as a solo artist was in 1972 with Ben, meaning his chart history would extend to 38 years)

-The typical Halloween sales increase that is associated with MJ's catalogue, particularly due to Thriller

-Come November the new album will be released and set off a firestorm of MJ sales around the world which will last right into the Christmas season.

I am under the impression they are waiting for a trial date before setting the release date for the new album.

It wouldn't be good for these two events to happen simultaneously.

it's gonna be a huge year for mj from summer and thereafter. thanks for the numbers and the next few months are gonna really be interesting.

Some updates on the TII DVD (including Blu-Ray) from Sony:

-US: 3,100,000
-Japan: 2,700,000
-UK: 1,400,000
-Canada: 410,000
-France: 400,000
-Australia: 420,000
-Spain: 100,000
-Italy: 100,000
-Rest Of Europe: 600,000
-Rest Of Asia: 700,000
-Latin/Central America: 100,000
-South America: 800,000
-Other: 200,000

TOTAL SALES:11,030,000

*As of April 1st 2010. Includes Blu-Ray and DVD sales. Figures from Sony Music. Not For Public Duplication Or Distribution.

Am so happy this is it is doing well
The home video market is not bouyant in europe,why? I expected the dvd sales to go through the roof in europe.

MJ's ALBUM SALES THIS WEEK: (April 14th 2010)

-MJ sold 39,500 albums in the US this week down from 44,000 the week before. Again Jackson had no entries in the Top 50.

-The biggest seller was Number Ones, shifting a little over 6,000 copies.

^ Yep, i made a post about it a few pages back that since MJ's death he has grossed over 1.1 billion dollars. This includes ALL MJ related material sold ranging from CD's, DVD's, Downloads, Music Publishing, Memorabilia, TII Revenue, etc
hi, smooth, you don't answer my questions:

So now This Is It is already the BIGGEST selling music DVD in the world

What DVD is its nearest competitor? do you know? how many copies did it sell?

And... if This Is It DVD and MJ's other records are doing so well, what didn't SONY publicize the data via a press release??

And When will Sony be going to send the updated data to RIAA?

I just wonder when Thriller can be the first album to reach 30 million mark in the US....

^ I do not know the #2 best selling music DVD, I can try and find that out for you. Sony WILL be releasing a press release regarding TII at a later date when more sales figures are issued. They are still planning on promoting the DVD in June for the 1 year anniversary of his death so numbers will continue to rise.

RIAA has updated their site as of August last year. They still need more certifications since MJ had great sales from Sep-Dec of last year. When will they update this? I am not sure.

Thriller is only 400,000 copies away from hitting 30,000,000 in the US.

Thank you. Please tell Sony people they need to update RIAA data....lol

Back