Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

Top 40 Music DVD's

1 1 Sticky & Sweet Tour Madonna
2 2 84 Live In Bucharest: The Dangerous Tour Michael Jackson
3 1 4 Under Great White Northern Lights The White Stripes
4 19 19 Israel Homecoming Bill & Gloria Gaither And Their Homecoming Friends
5 21 17 Jerusalem Bill & Gloria Gaither And Their Homecoming Friends
6 3 11 Songs From The Heart: Live From Powerscourt House And Gardens Celtic Woman
7 7 4 Here I Am Marvin Sapp
8 5 19 An Evening With Il Divo: Live In Barcelona Il Divo
9 8 27 Live In Manila Journey
10 9 20 I Am... Yours: An Intimate Performance At Wynn Las Vegas Beyonce
11 4 303 Number Ones Michael Jackson
12 12 9 CMT Invitation Only: Reba Reba
13 11 24 Funhouse Tour: Live In Australia Pink
14 13 83 No Bull: Live From The Plaza De Toros Las Ventas: Madrid, Spain AC/DC
15 15 224 Farewell I Tour: Live From Melbourne Eagles
16 16 22 Live From The Royal Albert Hall The Killers
17 24 80 Scenes You Know By Heart: The DVD Jimmy Buffett
18 10 9 It's Entertainment! Celtic Thunder
19 17 11 Reunited Gaither Vocal Band
20 14 114 Video Greatest Hits: HIStory Michael Jackson
21 18 11 Better Day Gaither Vocal Band
22 6 14 ...Then Sings My Soul George Beverly Shea
23 29 53 Performing This Week... Live At Ronnie Scott's Jeff Beck
24 20 96 Live At Woodstock Jimi Hendrix
25 26 9 Live In Germany: 1980 ZZ Top
26 23 123 The Beyonce Experience: Live Beyonce
27 22 22 Live At The O2: London, England Kings Of Leon
28 33 335 Pulse Pink Floyd
29 27 4 Los Corridos: Prohibidos Los Tigres Del Norte
30 92 Indescribable Louie Giglio
31 25 121 Live In Las Vegas: A New Day Celine Dion
32 24 Celebration: The Video Collection Madonna
33 20 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame + Museum: Live Various Artists
34 36 22 Live At Reading Nirvana
35 30 92 Where The Light Is: John Mayer Live In Los Angeles John Mayer
36 1 Mas Romantico Que Nunca [Sus Grandes Exitos Romanticos] Alejandro Fernandez
37 40 7 My Brothers Keeper The Williams Brothers & Lee Williams & The Spiritual QC's
38 31 Flight 666: The Film Iron Maiden
39 31 215 HIStory On Film: Volume II Michael Jackson
40 28 6 Live From Austin TX Lynyrd Skynyrd

^ It appears that is the weekly chart for a country. It is not overall sales since TII has surpassed all of those titles.

MJ holds the record for music DVD sales in the US and worldwide. Well music home videos.

Moonwalker is the all time top seller with 3.3 million

The Making of Michael Jackson's Thriller is the 2nd with 3 million.

But thats just music home videos. I'm not sure if this is it counts as that thought. music home videos I think are music releases that go straight to DVD. I think. Does anyone know?

GLOBAL ALBUM SALES THIS WEEK: (Ending April 16th)

-THIS IS IT spends its 24th week in the Top 40 chart. The album sold 26,000 copies this week, down from 32,000 the week before. Due to a slower week in overall album sales, TII maintained the #38 position.

-Jackson sold 115,000 albums this week around the world, down from 125,000 the week before.

Thanks for the numbers. If MJ can see this he would proud!

Top 40 Music DVD's

2 2 84 Live In Bucharest: The Dangerous Tour Michael Jackson

It's the number 2! This is amazing. This should make the Sony realize others show's dvd! I need buy shows. I can't download from Internet hahahaha!

US ALBUM SALES THIS WEEK (April 21st ending)

-MJ sold 37,000 albums in the US last week

GLOBAL ALBUM SALES (Ending April 23rd)

-MJ sold 103,000 albums down from 115,000 the week before

Guys how much are these numbers compared to other artists? I assume it's pretty good but because I have no idea what others are selling it'd be nice to know.

MJ is no longer on any Global charts.

He is #5 on the Billboard Catalog charts with Number Ones. #12 with the Essential.

On the Billboard 200, Number Ones is #119.(Remember after MJ died and the huge sales surge happened, Billboard changed their rules). This Is It is #147. The Essential is #160.

Thats pretty much it. Like Smoothcriminal said, when June 25th comes around, his birthday, and when the new album drops, we should expect a lot of sales.

I dont think that there will be other "Jackson fever" in terms of sales with old music, only new stuff can be interesting, but ... its still uncertain and vague if people are interested in new music with songs like This Is It.

Only real hit songs can attract people, no more songs like TII, Cry, One More Chance. people/fans want to dance, enjoy the music, and as usual, many remixed songs are far better than the original ones, so producers of new music should realize that and prepare/produce HITS!

Last edited:
I dont think that there will be other "Jackson heat" in terms of sales with old music, only new stuff can be interesting, but ... its still uncertain and vague if people are interested in new music with songs like This Is It.

Only real hit songs can attract people, no more songs like TII, Cry, One More Chance. people/fans want to dance, enjoy the music, and as usual, many remixed songs are far better than the original ones, so producers of new music should realize that and prepare/produce HITS!

Your right. I really don't expect there to be anymore huge sales surges with old music. Sure as time goes on it will sell steadily, but no more dominating the charts like back in June and July. But I can see great sales from a new album.

I personally didn't much like This Is It. Sure it was a good song, but not that great in my opinion. We need great dance hits, and great crossover songs. Thats mainly how he got such a wide audience. Was becuase he made music that crossed over and appealed to everyone.

Your right. I really don't expect there to be anymore huge sales surges with old music. Sure as time goes on it will sell steadily, but no more dominating the charts like back in June and July. But I can see great sales from a new album.

I personally didn't much like This Is It. Sure it was a good song, but not that great in my opinion. We need great dance hits, and great crossover songs. Thats mainly how he got such a wide audience. Was becuase he made music that crossed over and appealed to everyone.

Sony and the MJ Estate wasted an opoprtunity when they released the song "This Is It". The world was holding their breath for a new MJ song. They were told it would be a new MJ song. They wasted air time promoting the song before it premiered. They played the song on air. Even those radio stations that wouldn't normally play MJ because he didn't fit into their demographic played the song.
When they finally played it they all realised that they had been conned. The song wasn't new. The song wasn't MJ's new single, wasn't the kind of song that should be released as a single, didn't fit the type of music they normally played, and wasn't going to be included in the concerts. It didn't get much positive attention and so it fell very quickly out of the airplay chart. It failed.

I'm sure all those stations that joined in the hype of "This Is It" won't be taken advantage of again and that is a real shame because if Sony release a single from the new album, that is the song that deserves all the attention, but it won't get it now.

Sony and the MJ Estate wasted an opoprtunity when they released the song "This Is It". The world was holding their breath for a new MJ song. They were told it would be a new MJ song. They wasted air time promoting the song before it premiered. They played the song on air. Even those radio stations that wouldn't normally play MJ because he didn't fit into their demographic played the song.
When they finally played it they all realised that they had been conned. The song wasn't new. The song wasn't MJ's new single, wasn't the kind of song that should be released as a single, didn't fit the type of music they normally played, and wasn't going to be included in the concerts. It didn't get much positive attention and so it fell very quickly out of the airplay chart. It failed.

I'm sure all those stations that joined in the hype of "This Is It" won't be taken advantage of again and that is a real shame because if Sony release a single from the new album, that is the song that deserves all the attention, but it won't get it now.

:punk::clapping:

... its sad, but its the exact status quo...
I think the only reason why TII song was released, was only the same title with the movie and the logo (and slogan) of the concert comeback.

Nothing more.

but on the other hand, only real hit songs can attract people and radio stations, simply hit songs with new sound, beats, melody....

There is no more the era of ballads or slow songs, the rap and hip-hop era is going to end and now it starts something like ... new dance-pop revival of the 70s and 80s, and with new sound of the 60s....

have you heard a remixed album with the Jackson5 songs Soul Session or something like this?

This and next a few years are the last chance-s to use Michaels music to attract people with something new for new/next generations with up-to-date sound and music.
People dont want to listen to songs like TII anymore.

Who were the most successful artists of each decade?

Any analysis that attempts to compare one year with another has to take into account the different levels of charts for different eras. When examining the greatest song act, greatest songs and greatest album raw scores were adjusted to allow entries from the 1920s to be compared with those from the 1990s. This wide range of source dates meant that we could not combine information from the song and album charts.

When looking at the artists with most chart success in each decade this restriction can be relaxed. In this list we have combined song and album success, but only compared entries across a single decade. The album scores have been given twice the weight of the songs (for the decades where albums were being sold). Here we list the world's top 5 artists of each decade, a more extensive list can be seen on the individual decade pages.

Read here - http://tsort.info/music/faq_decade_artists.htm

30cbsxw.jpg

MOST POPULAR ENTERTAINER OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY

A quantitative analysis the determine who really was The King.
Read here - http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/mus.htm

Do you agree?

Who were the most successful artists of each decade?

Read here - http://tsort.info/music/faq_decade_artists.htm

30cbsxw.jpg

MOST POPULAR ENTERTAINER OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY

A quantitative analysis the determine who really was The King.
Read here - http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/mus.htm

Do you agree?

No, I don't agree with any of them. Here is the deal with the first link you gave us about the top artists of each decade.

This site is crap. The guy who has done this work has only waste his time, compiling loads of data to finaly make them useless with nonsense formulas.

1- He used a lot of fake data. If you check detailed chart positions of each songs, you will see loads of mistakes for each of them. He used for example data from Hot100brasil, a fake site with invented charts.

2- Charts don't tell the entire story. Acts like Pink Floyd got MASSIVE catalog sales, which obviously isn't shown on the main charts. It explains why they are so low in their alltime list, but all other acts suffer from this. For example on the week of Mar 20, 2009, Jackson sold at least 25000 albums in the US but in the top 200 album chart he didn't have a single entry (because they are all catalog albums)(but that changed now due to MJ passing and changing Billboards mind on how to chart records), while albums from the 40's were #1 for one month without reaching this sales figure, this just show how pointless it is to look only at charts to build best "selling" artists lists. Always about catalog sales, the site puts Double Fantasy at #1 of 1980 in front of Back In Black by AC/DC, a huge joke. Legend, by Bob Marley, is only #11 of 1984! Timepiece, by Clapton, which sold over 9 million copies in the US alone, isn't even among their top 100 albums from 1982.

3- That is also messed up by the market size obviously. A #1 album in 2000 isn't the same as a #1 album in 1940, but he doesn't factored this market size into his formulas, which is a bad joke and which is why very old artists are very high (at the time, with almost no competition, always the same few acts registering songs in the 20's up to the 50's, some of them recorded giant chart histories).

4- In the same range of ideas, even on a same market albums at the same position can have much bigger sales. Thriller sold 18 million in 15 months in the US, when it was released. Obviously in terms of points, he got a result proportionaly much inferior. They are many examples of this kind.

The site even contradicts itself, saying in the page of Jackson that "his biggest album (Thriller) was the 7th most successful of all time", while the link put on this sentence shows a list where it is #2.
----------------------------------------------

And with the second link. At first they were using Billboard Hot 100 stats to determine who was the most popular artist.

They should rename the title to MOST POPULAR ENTERTAINER OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY BASED ON BILLBOARD HOT 100 FIGURES.

Last edited:
KB50MJ... you are genius, evidently you can find other "mistakes"...

But you know what the point is.
I just googled - best selling artist - and... ta-da such websites are available for everybody and MJ haters can argue with them against MJ or for undermining MJs status and success, thats why I permanently try to point out to the fact that MJ boards like this can not be "a fantasy site" and fans can not be thinking about this board as the only right place, in fact, this is strictly "closed circiuit", its OK, but we have to be active and support Michael more than ever before.... because of such sites created by false info.

Thats why I suggested to upgrade WikiPedia as a generally assumed source of info.

Or somebody, who has the ability, could create similar info web only about MJs achievements and success and records (like KB50MJ has wrote his huge top storeys about MJ records and success in many threads, especially this one), there are books like For the Record, Visual documentary..., but such books are not generally available for the Internet users by comparison with the sites like the two.

We have to do something.

BTW, look at this -
http://tsort.info/music/albums.htm
http://tsort.info/music/artisa.htm
http://tsort.info/music/charta.htm

Last edited:

I just googled - best selling artist - and... ta-da such websites are available for everybody and MJ haters can argue with them against MJ or for undermining MJs status and success, thats why I permanently try to point out to the fact that MJ boards like this can not be "a fantasy site" and fans can not be thinking about this board as the only right place, in fact, this is strictly "closed circiuit", its OK, but we have to be active and support Michael more than ever before.... because of such sites created by false info.

Thats why I suggested to upgrade WikiPedia as a generally assumed source of info.

Or somebody, who has the ability, could create similar info web only about MJs achievements and success and records (like KB50MJ has wrote his huge top storeys about MJ records and success in many threads, especially this one), there are books like For the Record, Visual documentary..., but such books are not generally available for the Internet users by comparison with the sites like the two.

We have to do something.

i agree is there anyway we can update wikipedia , yeah we could look up his acheivements on his official website and fanclubs and make a website dedicated to his acheivements

We have to do something.

Thank you. And exactly. I tried to update some MJ info on Wiki, but no one does anything and its hard. But I do see some positive changes on MJ's page.

There was this one time where and Elvis fan tried to use the site you just brought up and tried to prove that MJ was not as big as I was saying. But I used the same post I did above and proved him wrong. But like always he denied it all.

And I have the visual documentary and some other book called Michael Jackson: The Solo years, which I've heard is a little similar to For The Record. But does anyone have the For the Record book? Because I really want to get it.

And Moonwalker.Fan, did you ever see these two sites?

Read the comments on this one.
http://www.pamil-visions.net/elvis-the-only-king/23639/

And this one.
http://www.straightgangsterism.com/2009/07/01/influence-michael-jackson-vs-the-beatles/

^ That site is BS. All wrong information. Look at what the creator is the site says:

"Michael Jackson had 2 songs in the "1980s 100 songs" list, against Madonna's 5. He had 2 albums in the "1980s 100 albums" list, against Madonna's 3."

First off, MJ had 9 #1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 in the 1980's alone, 10 if you include We Are The World. (MORE THAN ANY OTHER SINGER OR BAND IN THE DECADE), also with albums MJ had 2 #1 albums (Thriller was #1 for 37 weeks, and Bad). Plus, even if Madonna had 3 albums in the Top 100, MJ's Thriller outsold ALL of Madonnas albums combined. It was MJ's decision to release fewer albums overall. Ridiculous, this website is crap. Enough said.

Again, the point is that these sites are available on the net as some source of info for... lets say people who are looking for info about - best selling artists, or MJ haters who can use this as argument for their delusional explanations.

Thats why some of you/us have to join in the creation of a special web site abut Michaels record achievements and success!!!

This should be our international project connecting various MJ boards, people literate in MJs achievements and success (KB50MJ, Smooth_Criminal05 and co. from UK Mix...) and somebody competent in creating web pages especially for Michael and such projects. (and maybe supported from MJ Estate and Sony)

Last edited:
Again, the point is that these sites are available on the net as some source of info for... lets say people who are looking for info about - best selling artists, or MJ haters who can use this as argument for their delusional explanations.

Thats why some of you/us have to join in the creation of a special web site abut Michaels record achievements and success!!!

This should be our international project connecting various MJ boards, people literate in MJs achievements and success (KB50MJ, Smooth_Criminal05 and co. from UK Mix...) and somebody competent in creating web pages especially for Michael and such projects. (and maybe supported from MJ Estate and Sony)

I'm all for it. I would LOVE to do something like that. Remember that huge article I put together? Well I showed some people at school and many said I should publish a book about this.

And I would love to make a website or a book(possibility both) about MJ's achievements. I would enjoy doing that. Like going in-depth on certain things. Get info from MJ fan boards like MaxJax and MJJC.

I would love to do this, but I don't know how. If someone can help and give some guidance, I would be happy to get on board.

guys, creating a website for this. thats a good idea. great! do it!
if i can help in some way, tell me.

Back