Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

Yea. All I need is for someone to start it. I have too much stuff on my hands to manage another web page. But if someone here starts it, I will gladly provide all the info and sources you need.

It was 100 million units - that includes ringtones, singles, DVDs.

100 million albums sold this year with the new album coming? - Maybe that's a little high estimate isn't it? - The new album will maybe sell 6-7 million this year, and when the MJ hype comes all of his albums will sell better than usual. But I think 100 million albums total this year is a little unrealistic.

I think maybe 60-70 million total sales this year i realistic. - But it's all guessing and speculating.

I hope MJ will sell 100+ million this year, but I honestly don't believe so.

The idea that MJ could sell 100 million units in 2009/2010 is very conceivable based on my number crunching. Sales will surge in the last week of June and into the first week of July and then come late August with all the news on his birthday plus the new single being released. With the new single getting airplay through August and into September, this will keep download sales high. (I anticipate this single will get over 1 million US downloads, and score him his 14th #1 hit on Billboard Hot 100). By the time we get to late October, hype will be building around the new album and Halloween will boost sales of Thriller like usual. Then we have November, the new album is launched. I expect US sales of 2 million by years end, with an additional 4 million overseas. Tack onto that increased sales of MJ's catalogue albums and you easily have over 100 million units sold in the two year period. It's a feat never before accomplished in the music industry.

You know what Smooth?

I doubt that the magic 100 mill. units will be counted to MJs record sales as the official data..., the bias against Michael being better than everybody else in music today is huge..., of course, he can not be better than so-called KING Elvis or the Bees... ups, Beatles...

Thats why there´s the need to have a special web about MJs records sales.
Of course, that should be authorized by SONY... and then let WIKIpedia be upgraded... with lists like best selling artists...

The idea that MJ could sell 100 million units in 2009/2010 is very conceivable based on my number crunching. Sales will surge in the last week of June and into the first week of July and then come late August with all the news on his birthday plus the new single being released. With the new single getting airplay through August and into September, this will keep download sales high. (I anticipate this single will get over 1 million US downloads, and score him his 14th #1 hit on Billboard Hot 100). By the time we get to late October, hype will be building around the new album and Halloween will boost sales of Thriller like usual. Then we have November, the new album is launched. I expect US sales of 2 million by years end, with an additional 4 million overseas. Tack onto that increased sales of MJ's catalogue albums and you easily have over 100 million units sold in the two year period. It's a feat never before accomplished in the music industry.

Well, putting it that way, it might actually happen.

I hope this new album will make 2 #1 hit songs so he gets a total 15 #1 hits on Billboard Hot 100.

I sooo hope the new album will sell great.

The documentary film "Michael Jackson's This Is It" has set new box office records and has become Japan's all time best selling DVD.

The documentary film "Michael Jackson's This Is It" has set new box office records and has become Japan's all time best selling DVD.

:clapping::punk::clapping:

GREAT NEWS!!

Du you have a source ?

^ The best selling DVD of all time in Japan? Wow. I would like to see a source for that, because I can't imagine a music DVD beating major Hollywood movies. If so, I am a bit shocked. How many copies has it sold in Japan? My source told me around 2 million but that was a while ago.

Hey, Smoothcriminal05, Where do you suppose the current sales of the This Is It DVD stand?

I don't think there is any chance what so ever of 100 million being sold, Thriller, the best selling album of all time has sold up to 100 mill but this was over 27 years, the realistic figure if there is a new album released would be closer to the 20 million mark and even that figure might be a little high.

I don't think there is any chance what so ever of 100 million being sold, Thriller, the best selling album of all time has sold up to 100 mill but this was over 27 years, the realistic figure if there is a new album released would be closer to the 20 million mark and even that figure might be a little high.

We´re talking here about - units (albums, singles,, LPs, DVD, ringtones....) - sold during 2-3 years, not only albums...

In this thread there are several lists of MJs album sales in 2009 and 2010...

Just wondering whats the biggest amount of units sold for an album in its first week? Just really wanna know this if anyone has an answer. :)

^ The number is for sure over 1,000,000. I know 50 Cent did it in 2005, and Eminem may have done it before then. Since 2005 only Lil Wayne's The Carter III has sold over 1,000,000 copies in it's first week. MJ never has these types of sales. His first week debuts are usually 280,000 to 400,000 but MJ remains in the Top 40 for A LONG TIME, meaning his sales are more steady compared to most hip-hop and rap artists who plummet after their huge debuts.

^ The number is for sure over 1,000,000. I know 50 Cent did it in 2005, and Eminem may have done it before then. Since 2005 only Lil Wayne's The Carter III has sold over 1,000,000 copies in it's first week. MJ never has these types of sales. His first week debuts are usually 280,000 to 400,000 but MJ remains in the Top 40 for A LONG TIME, meaning his sales are more steady compared to most hip-hop and rap artists who plummet after their huge debuts.

I wonder why that is? Because MJ is 1,000,000 times bigger than all of them. Maybe becuase of this is the downloading age.

But I do remember that Thriller was selling more than that at one point. Back in early 1984 it was selling a million copies every 4 days, and then every week. Phenomenal.

i think usher was the first r&b artist to selling over 1,000,000 units with confessions album but yeah it the , but mj's album stay longer on the charts than the these hip hop artists

MJ Scores Nine of the 17 best-selling R&B Hits in Digital History
According to Nielson Sound Scan, the King of Pop has 9 of the 17 best-selling R&B hits in digital music history.

"Billie Jean," "Beat It," "Thriller," "Man In The Mirror" and "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough" are some of the titles on the list.

Michael Jackson's estate has earned nearly $1billion since his death!

"Michael Jackson's estate has raked in close to a billion dollars in the year since he died.

The huge sum - from record sales and lucrative deals brokered by the estate - is 47 TIMES what the debt-ridden King Of Pop made the previous year.

That's nearly two thirds of what Elvis Presley's estate has made in the 33 YEARS since his death."

"A source said: "The estate has made around $900million (£614m) in cash since Michael's death. This is an incredible amount. No other artist has ever made that much since they died. It should ensure Michael goes down in history as the greatest artist of all time."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news...1bn-since-he-died-a-year-ago-115875-22313471/

Guys.,he has already earned 2/3 of what Great Elvis Presley's estate earned in 33-years after his death!
While he was alive he surpassed other artists by releasing one album and with his death he has surpassed all the other entertainers within one year!

I wonder why that is? Because MJ is 1,000,000 times bigger than all of them. Maybe becuase of this is the downloading age.

But I do remember that Thriller was selling more than that at one point. Back in early 1984 it was selling a million copies every 4 days, and then every week. Phenomenal.

I think it's due to super-hit/song factor in an album. Almost every song in MJ's albums can be used as a single and can release as a video. While other artists who have such a huge numbers in one week couldn't last because simply they cannot produce another couple of hits from that album. When you see hit after hit from one album who wouldn't want to buy that. That's the case with MJ as far as I see.
Simply he is a quality artist.

^ ... I dont think its MJs case...
I think it's due to super-hit/song factor in an album. Almost every song in MJ's albums can be used as a single and can release as a video.

The problem IMO was on the contrary with hit singles... that MJs albums contained only 1-2-3 super-hit songs, the rest was not proper for radio airing... (try to recollect which songs you heard on radio except BJ, Beat it, Thriller, Black or White, Heal the world, Dont stop til you, Bad, IJCSLY, BTT, Earth song) and simply MJ songs were not produced for commercial "interests"... and as the one-off songs... in comparison with 99% of all the songs on market...

MJs songs are meant for the specific group of people=MJ fans with messages...

Michael since the 90s hasnt been commercial with his songs..., just compare Bob Dylan, hes one of the most influential artists/songwriters..., how many of his songs hit the charts?

Last edited:
^ ... I dont think its MJs case...

The problem IMO was on the contrary with hit singles... that MJs albums contained only 1-2-3 super-hit songs, the rest was not proper for radio airing... (try to recollect which songs you heard on radio except BJ, Beat it, Thriller, Black or White, Heal the world, Dont stop til you, Bad, IJCSLY, BTT, Earth song) and simply MJ songs were not produced for commercial "interests"... and as the one-off songs... in comparison with 99% of all the songs on market...

MJs songs are meant for the specific group of people=MJ fans with messages...

Michael since the 90s hasnt been commercial with his songs..., just compare Bob Dylan, hes one of the most influential artist/songwriter..., how many of his songs hit the charts?

Agreed to some extent.,man you gotta be kidding me when you say "MJs albums contained only 1-2-3 super-hit songs." you can't purely say that all of MJ hits which were realeased as a single or as a video didn't get the air play or play time.
MJ had 7 singles from Thriller all of them top 10 hits.,then he had another 7 singles from Bad with 5 #1 hits(all are records), 7 or 8 singles from Dangerous. So how can you say he only have 1-3 hits from an album???The fact that it seems they are getting little play time is because he has very limited hits.,limited but all of them are trend setting master pieces. While can you name how many albums, singles artist like you have mentioned release. The amount of hits they have are huge but the quality and innovative factor is very less. They all sound the same.
In MJ's case every hit is different to another and every hit has different theme. Some define the generations. He did all this with basically 6 studio albums.,which is almost impossible to do. That's why it seems like they never get the radio play time. Obviously media willingly limited his air play since '95 and that didn't help it either.

Michael Jackson's estate has earned nearly $1billion since his death!

"Michael Jackson's estate has raked in close to a billion dollars in the year since he died.

The huge sum - from record sales and lucrative deals brokered by the estate - is 47 TIMES what the debt-ridden King Of Pop made the previous year.

That's nearly two thirds of what Elvis Presley's estate has made in the 33 YEARS since his death."

"A source said: "The estate has made around $900million (£614m) in cash since Michael's death. This is an incredible amount. No other artist has ever made that much since they died. It should ensure Michael goes down in history as the greatest artist of all time."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news...1bn-since-he-died-a-year-ago-115875-22313471/

Guys.,he has already earned 2/3 of what Great Elvis Presley's estate earned in 33-years after his death!
While he was alive he surpassed other artists by releasing one album and with his death he has surpassed all the other entertainers within one year!

WOW!!! I have no words. There will never be another Michael Jackson, never.

Just wondering whats the biggest amount of units sold for an album in its first week? Just really wanna know this if anyone has an answer. :)

Backstreet Boys and N Sync did sell some of their albums over 1,8 M in their first week in the USA alone...

it was back in 2000 or 2001 if I remmeber well...

N´Sync holds a world record for the week sales with 2.3 mill. copies in its first week after releasing of their album... (dont remember its name)

N´Sync holds a world record for the week sales with 2.3 mill. copies in its first week after releasing of their album... (dont remember its name)

That's very impressive.

That proves that the young girls are the best buyers.

Back