Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

2) NEW ALBUM of material. MJ's comeback album will be released this year. It will contain music recorded between 2002 and 2009. I am told over 30 songs exist from this time period and the best 15 will be combined into an album with "several singles" which will be released globally including one coming out near MJ's birthday. Sony already has begun to compose a set list and is currently picking and choosing songs that will make the cut. Some songs will have producers working on them, while others will remain identical to how Mj left them. A release date is up in the air right now. The estate is pushing for an end of June release to coincide with the 1 year anniversary of MJ's death, or a August 29th release for MJ's b-day. Sony want's it earlier perhaps in March or April. Regardless, this new album will be huge and sell millions. Sony believes with proper marketing, MJ's new album could sell over 10 million copies globally and become the biggest selling album of 2010.

Wow... I can't wait for this...

Hopefully new material will be released next year.

Hope there will be some HUGE hits among the songs.

But now a new musicvideo can't be made :( - that was a great way to promote a song and make it popular. And MJ's musicvideos/short films :lol: was always huge and great. I am soo very very sad that no new MJ video will ever come. :(

Maybe One more chance will be included on the CD. The musicvideo for One more chance is finalized and ready to be shown on MTV, youtube etc... - So maybe that would be a nice way to start the promotion. MJ's last ever musicvideo and OMC rereleased as single and then the week after a brand new single. Just to keep the hype up...

US SALES THIS WEEK:

-THIS IS IT sold 66,000 copies coming in at #11 on US charts. The album has now sold a bit over 950,000 copies in the US since it's release. It will break the 1 million mark by years end.

-Number Ones sold another 30,000 copies, good enough for #37.

-Overall sales this week were 150,000 down from 230,000 last week (remember it was Thanksgiving weekend before so a steep drop is expected).

-MJ has sold 7.38 million albums since his death in the US

How big will the MJ merchandise be next year? As big as Elvis and Marilyn Munro? Or will it take a few years before that happens?

Hey smooth_criminal05,

First of all, thank you so much for the statistics that you post every week. I really enjoy reading how well Michael's album sales have been doing in the US and abroad.

It seems to me that you are knowledgeable in record sales statistics and I just wanted to ask your opinion on something. IDK if you frequent the Thriller stats thread, http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80022, but I took a look at the the last few pages of discussion and it seems that the Eagles GH record sales may have been inflated or falsely propped up by the media during recent times. Then discussion had said that 'people' won't let Thriller be the biggest selling album in North America and that's why people are reporting inflated numbers for the Eagles.

Also, since record companies have to take initiative to update their record sales stats and report them to RIAA, there doesn't seem to be an independent source to report record sales. Then someone had written that some of the older record companies had incorrectly reported their artists' sales as lower so that they don't have to pay their artists as much. Well, I guess this is pertaining to the J5 days.

I just wanted to know your opinion on Thriller sales in North America and should it rightfully own the throne, are people in the industry propping up the Eagles GH to downplay Michael (at least in the US), are record sales being incorrectly reported about both the albums (Eagles +, Michael's -)??

This question is open to everyone, btw, not just smooth_criminal05. :)

he is gonna stay huge because people have missed the music and it shows. ain't nothing out here touching his stuff and it shows.

^elmari , I have always believed there was something fishy about The Eagles Greatest Hits selling so much. The certification process was abnormal to say the least. Now I am not 100% suggesting a scheme to dethrone Thriller, but it's certainly something worth investigating. Right now, Thriller and Greatest Hits are tied in sales according to the RIAA. Should Thriller be #1? That's something I can only guess about, not conclude fully. But if your asking my opinion I believe Thriller has a bigger commercial appeal and would sell much more than any Eagles album period.

Well Thriller isn't the biggest selling album ever in a lot of country but worldwide it is. Its the world's biggest selling album and I highly doubt anything will beat it.

^ Very true. Thriller has sold over 68 million copies so far. The nearest competition (Back In Black- ACDC, Dark Side Of The Moon-Pink Floyd, Grease Soundtrack) have all sold between 40 and 45 million. So MJ has a huge lead. It's a record that will never be broken.

^ Very true. Thriller has sold over 68 million copies so far. The nearest competition (Back In Black- ACDC, Dark Side Of The Moon-Pink Floyd, Grease Soundtrack) have all sold between 40 and 45 million. So MJ has a huge lead. It's a record that will never be broken.

HIStory comes in very close to them if that's the case. So far it has sales of around 43 million worldwide.

HIStory comes in very close to them if that's the case. So far it has sales of around 43 million worldwide.

NO WAY!!

It's a double album so maybe it has sold 21,5 million albums which is 43 discs. But HIStory hasn't outsold BAD and Dangerous.

NO WAY!!

It's a double album so maybe it has sold 21,5 million albums which is 43 discs. But HIStory hasn't outsold BAD and Dangerous.

HIStory counts as two albums since it's priced that way. Granted, "the second disk" did not sell as well as BAD or dangerous, but the overall project is one of the most successful projects ever.

HIStory counts as two albums since it's priced that way. Granted, "the second disk" did not sell as well as BAD or dangerous, but the overall project is one of the most successful projects ever.

OK, that's new to me.

But hope it's true. If it is the media really hasn't given him much credit for it. HIStory is such an amazing album (disc 2 I mean) SOoo many great songs. :punk:

How big will the MJ merchandise be next year? As big as Elvis and Marilyn Munro? Or will it take a few years before that happens?

Actually thats not true.

There are a lot of misconceptions about that.

NO album other than thriller sold over 42 million copies.

1. Michael Jackson- Thriller: 68,700,000

2. Pink Floyd- Dark Side Of The Moon: 41,800,000

3. Soundtrack- Grease: 40,400,000

4. Whitney Houston- Bodyguard: 38,600,000

5. Bee Gees- Saturday Night Fever: 37,200,000

6. Eagles- Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975: 36,700,000

7. Led Zeppelin- IV: 35,900,000

8. Shania Twain- Come On Over: 35,400,000

9. Michael Jackson- Bad: 34,900,000

10. Fleetwood Mac- Rumours: 32,700,000

11. Dire Straits- Brother In Arms: 32,600,000

12. Alanis Morissette- Jagged Little Pill: 32,200,000

13. AC/DC- Back In Black: 32,100,000

14. Bob Marley- Legend: 31,300,000

15. Michael Jackson- Dangerous: 31,405,000

16. Beatles- One: 30,800,000

17. Pink Floyd- The Wall: 30,700,000

18. Celine Dion- Let's Talk About Love: 30,300,000

19. Celine Dion- Falling Into You: 30,200,000

20. Guns N' Roses- Appetite For Destruction: 29,800,000

Well Thriller isn't the biggest selling album ever in a lot of country but worldwide it is. Its the world's biggest selling album and I highly doubt anything will beat it.

Michael isn't the best selling artist anywhere as such, but he's usually in the top 5 or thereabouts in most countries which is why his global sales are so high. He usually has consistent sales spread over the world and not concentrated on one nation.

Michael is not a concentrated seller - he simply sells across vast regions of the world without being the best seller ever in each nation. People devoted to selling in a specific country do better than he does in whichever country it is, but they lag far behind globally.

Michael thinks globally.

W00t MJ is the only one with 3 (and should be 4) entries :D

W00t MJ is the only one with 3 (and should be 4) entries :D

Yup. Its actually a record. But not an official one considering most don't have an accurate list of the biggest sellers ever.

MJ is the only artist to have 2 albums on the Top 10 and 3 albums on the Top 20 biggest sellers of all time.

And Dangerous was at 19 of all time before his death. But thanks to it, it sold another 1.4 million to bring it to 15. Securing the record stated above forever.

According to Billboard, 'This is it' sold 75,000 copies this week - not 66,000 - the figures given by HDD are 'estimates' and these were too low.

Just in case anyone missed it. Here was my original post on the other page:

Actually thats not true.

There are a lot of misconceptions about that.

NO album other than thriller sold over 42 million copies.

1. Michael Jackson- Thriller: 68,700,000

2. Pink Floyd- Dark Side Of The Moon: 41,800,000

3. Soundtrack- Grease: 40,400,000

4. Whitney Houston- Bodyguard: 38,600,000

5. Bee Gees- Saturday Night Fever: 37,200,000

6. Eagles- Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975: 36,700,000

7. Led Zeppelin- IV: 35,900,000

8. Shania Twain- Come On Over: 35,400,000

9. Michael Jackson- Bad: 34,900,000

10. Fleetwood Mac- Rumours: 32,700,000

11. Dire Straits- Brother In Arms: 32,600,000

12. Alanis Morissette- Jagged Little Pill: 32,200,000

13. AC/DC- Back In Black: 32,100,000

14. Bob Marley- Legend: 31,300,000

15. Michael Jackson- Dangerous: 31,405,000

16. Beatles- One: 30,800,000

17. Pink Floyd- The Wall: 30,700,000

18. Celine Dion- Let's Talk About Love: 30,300,000

19. Celine Dion- Falling Into You: 30,200,000

20. Guns N' Roses- Appetite For Destruction: 29,800,000

Michael isn't the best selling artist anywhere as such, but he's usually in the top 5 or thereabouts in most countries which is why his global sales are so high. He usually has consistent sales spread over the world and not concentrated on one nation.

Michael is not a concentrated seller - he simply sells across vast regions of the world without being the best seller ever in each nation. People devoted to selling in a specific country do better than he does in whichever country it is, but they lag far behind globally.

Michael thinks globally.

GLOBAL SALES FOR THIS WEEK

-This Is It remains in the top ten, at #6 this week with sales of 226,000.

-This Is It has now sold over 2.25 million copies since it's release

-Jackson sold a total of 380,000 albums this week around the world

-Total album sales for MJ since his death are now at 20 million on the nose!

*Susan Boyles album remained in the #1 spot selling 1.05 million copies. The album has now sold 2.3 million in the first two weeks of it's release. (1.2 million in the US alone). Next week, Boyle will remain in the top spot both globally and in the US with sales of 600,000 in the US and 1 million globally. This will take Boyle's new album to a grand total of 3.3 million (a virtual tie with Jackson's Thriller). By years end, Boyle's album will sell over 4.5 million copies and has a strong chance at becoming the biggest selling album of 2009 globally.

Smooth_Criminal05, just a question if you have an idea...

I have no MJ merchandise and would love to start collecting classic merchandise, nothing tacky lol. Thanx :)

Smooth_criminal05, just want to say thank you for answering my questions about the Thriller sales. :)

Also, thanks for that interesting information KBMJ50. :)

*Susan Boyles album remained in the #1 spot selling 1.05 million copies. The album has now sold 2.3 million in the first two weeks of it's release. (1.2 million in the US alone). Next week, Boyle will remain in the top spot both globally and in the US with sales of 600,000 in the US and 1 million globally. This will take Boyle's new album to a grand total of 3.3 million (a virtual tie with Jackson's Thriller). By years end, Boyle's album will sell over 4.5 million copies and has a strong chance at becoming the biggest selling album of 2009 globally.

I am really happy for Susan Boyle. She really is a Cinderella story. I hope she stays grounded and just lives out her dream.

When you said the bolded, do you mean she is tied with Thriller sales of this year or when Thriller started selling like hotcakes in the 1980s?

Smooth_criminal05, just want to say thank you for answering my questions about the Thriller sales. :)

Also, thanks for that interesting information KBMJ50. :)

I am really happy for Susan Boyle. She really is a Cinderella story. I hope she stays grounded and just lives out her dream.

When you said the bolded, do you mean she is tied with Thriller sales of this year or when Thriller started selling like hotcakes in the 1980s?

I mean in 2009. Thriller has sold 3.3 million copies around the world since June 25th and 3.5 million in 2009. Boyle will beat this figure by years end which is incredible considering her album will have only been available for 6 weeks of 2009.

Smooth_Criminal05, just a question if you have an idea...

I have no MJ merchandise and would love to start collecting classic merchandise, nothing tacky lol. Thanx :)

MJ merchandise will remain steady next year, it usually takes a few years to get those big Elvis like sales, however considering this is MJ and based on the information I know from the estate, MJ's merchandise sales will be big in 2010 especially if that Cirque Du Soleil show gets started during that year.

2) NEW ALBUM of material. MJ's comeback album will be released this year. It will contain music recorded between 2002 and 2009. I am told over 30 songs exist from this time period and the best 15 will be combined into an album with "several singles" which will be released globally including one coming out near MJ's birthday. Sony already has begun to compose a set list and is currently picking and choosing songs that will make the cut. Some songs will have producers working on them, while others will remain identical to how Mj left them. A release date is up in the air right now. The estate is pushing for an end of June release to coincide with the 1 year anniversary of MJ's death, or a August 29th release for MJ's b-day. Sony want's it earlier perhaps in March or April. Regardless, this new album will be huge and sell millions. Sony believes with proper marketing, MJ's new album could sell over 10 million copies globally and become the biggest selling album of 2010.

Yes...,It's much anticipated and hope it will be much more successfull than what we think now. I really like to see if the materials are being produced by the MJ's earlier producers rather than later ones specially people like Teddy Riley, Quincy Jones, Bruce Swedien, Rod Temperton co. etc......
These guys did lot with MJ and if they can contribute one more time it will be a huge project.

1 MICHAEL JACKSON 17 MJJ/Epic/Sony Music
2 TAYLOR SWIFT 3 Big Machine
3 MILEY CYRUS 4 Hollywood
4 NICKELBACK 2 Roadrunner
5 BEYONCE 2 Music World/Columbia/Sony Music
6 THE BEATLES 18 Apple/Capitol
7 RASCAL FLATTS 3 Lyric Street
8 BRITNEY SPEARS 2 Jive/JLG
9 KANYE WEST 2 Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam/IDJMG
10 LADY GAGA 1 Streamline/KonLive/Cherrytree

MJ has been confirmed as the biggest selling artist in the US during 2009!!

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/char...+Comprehensive+Artists&g=Year-end+Top+Artists

And MJ to receive another Grammy(s?)..........

The Recording Academy today (Dec. 11) announced that Michael Jackson is among seven Lifetime Achievement Award honorees for the 52nd annual Grammy Awards on Jan. 30. The King of Pop, whose sudden passing in June shook the music industry and fans worldwide, will receive a posthumous award along with singer/songwriter Leonard Cohen, 1959 Best New Artist Grammy winner Bobby Darin, Delta blues guitarist David "Honeyboy" Edwards, country queen Loretta Lynn, composer Andre Previn and jazz trumpeter Clark Terry.

Back