Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

How much have MJ sold this decade? How much has he sold in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and in 2009?

Yes, 2008 was a good year for Jackson due to Thriller 25 which spurred the purchase of several other albums as well. Overall sales including J-5 for the year were about 5.9 million, 2007 was a duller year with sales of only 3.89 million.

Right. Thriller: 25 did 2.3 million that year alone.

2007 was a lot lower. According to this site, MJ sold 650,000 albums/DVDs in the US in 2007:

According to SoundScan, Michael Jackson sold 648,340 albums and DVDs in the year 2007, with some significant sale increases from 2006. In comparison, Madonna shifted 392,440 units (Including "The Confessions Tour" release), Mariah Carey shifted 353,281 units (Including "The Adventures of Mimi Tour" release), Janet Jackson shifted 123,460 units, and Whitney Houston shifted 96,753 units.

Thriller album sales were up 86% in the year 2007. In addition, Number Ones, The Essential Michael Jackson, Off the Wall, Greatest Hits: HIStory (DVD), and Dangerous saw an increase in sales. Below are the complete figures:

01. Number Ones: 190,885 (+26%)
02. Thriller: 128,935 (+86%)
03. Number Ones (Video): 79,335 (-34%)
04. The Essential Michael Jackson: 74,670 (+12%)
05. Off the Wall: 43,470 (+38%)
06. Live in Bucharest (Video): 36,815 (-44.5%)
07. Greatest Hits: HIStory, Vol. 1: 28,330 (-18.5%)
08. Greatest Hits: HIStory (Video): 15,780 (+6.5%)
09. HIStory on Film: Vol. 2 (Video): 10,095 (-7%)
10. Bad: 9,765 (-10%)
11. Dangerous: 9,130 (+7.5%)
12. Ultimate Collection: 8,295 (-34%)
13. Invincible: 5,630 (-21%)
14. HIStory: Past, Present and Future: 3,415 (-2.5%)
15. Dangerous- The Short films (Video): 2,315 (-6%)
16. Blood on the Dance Floor: 1,475 (-5.5%)

http://mjjr.net/comment.php?comment.news.180

Right. Thriller: 25 did 2.3 million that year alone.

2007 was a lot lower. According to this site, MJ sold 650,000 albums/DVDs in the US in 2007:

According to SoundScan, Michael Jackson sold 648,340 albums and DVDs in the year 2007, with some significant sale increases from 2006. In comparison, Madonna shifted 392,440 units (Including "The Confessions Tour" release), Mariah Carey shifted 353,281 units (Including "The Adventures of Mimi Tour" release), Janet Jackson shifted 123,460 units, and Whitney Houston shifted 96,753 units.

Thriller album sales were up 86% in the year 2007. In addition, Number Ones, The Essential Michael Jackson, Off the Wall, Greatest Hits: HIStory (DVD), and Dangerous saw an increase in sales. Below are the complete figures:

01. Number Ones: 190,885 (+26%)
02. Thriller: 128,935 (+86%)
03. Number Ones (Video): 79,335 (-34%)
04. The Essential Michael Jackson: 74,670 (+12%)
05. Off the Wall: 43,470 (+38%)
06. Live in Bucharest (Video): 36,815 (-44.5%)
07. Greatest Hits: HIStory, Vol. 1: 28,330 (-18.5%)
08. Greatest Hits: HIStory (Video): 15,780 (+6.5%)
09. HIStory on Film: Vol. 2 (Video): 10,095 (-7%)
10. Bad: 9,765 (-10%)
11. Dangerous: 9,130 (+7.5%)
12. Ultimate Collection: 8,295 (-34%)
13. Invincible: 5,630 (-21%)
14. HIStory: Past, Present and Future: 3,415 (-2.5%)
15. Dangerous- The Short films (Video): 2,315 (-6%)
16. Blood on the Dance Floor: 1,475 (-5.5%)

http://mjjr.net/comment.php?comment.news.180

But 'Soundscan' only tracks sales for the US. So these are not 'Worldwide' figures. I think it is important to state that when posting figures.

But 'Soundscan' only tracks sales for the US. So these are not 'Worldwide' figures. I think it is important to state that when posting figures.

I did.

When I said "According to this site, MJ sold 650,000 albums/DVDs in the US in 2007:"

^ That's an amazing comparison. In 2007 Jackson's Number Ones sold 191,000 copies...this year it sold over 2.2 million. Dangerous sold 9,100 copies in 2007.... in 2009 it will sell 375,000 copies. Essential sold 75,000 copies in 07.... this year it will sell 1,050,000 copies+. Incredible.

US ALBUM SALES FOR THANKSGIVING WEEK: JACKSON SALES UP

-As Americans rushed to the malls last week, they snapped up some MJ albums as sales for all MJ's catalogue increased.

-This Is It sold 106,000 copies this week. (Up 8%) That brings it's 5 week total to 890,000 copies. Expect it to break the 1 million mark by years end.

-This Is It surprisingly remained in the Top 10, hanging on to #10 on the charts.

-Number Ones sold 38,000 copies this week jumping from #37 to #30. Sales were up 53% over last week.

-The Essential sold 18,000 copies this week, up 61% in sales over last week. The album also broke over the 1,000,000 mark this week in sales since MJ's death.

-Bad sold 17,000 copies this week, up an amazing 340% over last week.

-Dangerous sold 9,000 copies, up 130% over last week.

-Off The Wall sold 6,000 copies this week, up 75% over last week.

-HIStory and Invincible both posted gains over 50% compared to last week.

-Overall album sales this week came in at 230,000 (up from 170,000 last week), up 35%.

-Total MJ album sales in the US since June 25th now stand at 7.23 million!

Last edited:
^ That's an amazing comparison. In 2007 Jackson's Number Ones sold 191,000 copies...this year it sold over 2.2 million. Dangerous sold 9,100 copies in 2007.... in 2009 it will sell 375,000 copies. Essential sold 75,000 copies in 07.... this year it will sell 1,050,000 copies+. Incredible.

Yea. But I do wish Invincible's sales would increase a lot. Its a VERY underrated album.

^^Bump. I'm surprised not as many responses to MJ's great US sales this week.

Do you think its possible that number ones will surpass Taylor again by years end?

And I also posted this same thing on UKMix, but who do you think today's biggest star is in terms of sales, awards, and achievements?

When I mean today, I mean like in the last few years.

Do you think its possible that number ones will surpass Taylor again by years end?

And I also posted this same thing on UKMix, but who do you think today's biggest star is in terms of sales, awards, and achievements?

When I mean today, I mean like in the last few years.

No, Number Ones will not surpass Fearless. Even with Number Ones selling so strong, Fearless has been outselling it by 2:1 or 3:1 every week.

I'm not sure about in the past few years, maybe Akon? I know for 2009 it's hands down Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift.

I don't normally discuss other artists on this page, however Susan Boyle's sales are in need of recognizing. She is making music history and when the global charts are released Thursday late evening, her debut album will sell an estimated 1.4 million copies around the world in it's first week. It sold 700,000 in the US, 410,000 in the UK (thats 1.1 million alone in those two countries), plus it debuted at #1 in three other nations as well, plus went Top 10 in another 5 countries. Total initial shipments for her album were 3.3 million, and label executives predict the album could sell over 5 million copies by the time the hype dies down. (That would be the most successful album of the past couple years).

This is huge success for Boyle, and shows the power of the Internet in today's day and age.

I don't normally discuss other artists on this page, however Susan Boyle's sales are in need of recognizing. She is making music history and when the global charts are released Thursday late evening, her debut album will sell an estimated 1.4 million copies around the world in it's first week. It sold 700,000 in the US, 410,000 in the UK (thats 1.1 million alone in those two countries), plus it debuted at #1 in three other nations as well, plus went Top 10 in another 5 countries. Total initial shipments for her album were 3.3 million, and label executives predict the album could sell over 5 million copies by the time the hype dies down. (That would be the most successful album of the past couple years).

This is huge success for Boyle, and shows the power of the Internet in today's day and age.

Sorry, but she's just a very good Karaoke singer to me!

A lot of artists/groups release albums of other people's creative hard work, and they are mocked for it - quite rightly if that is the only talent you have - so I don't see why we should like Susan Boyle when she does the same. Are we supposed to like her because she sings so well despite looking so unfortunate? That's the way it seems to me!

Massive 'hype over substance', yet again, from Simon Cowell!!

can someone tell my how much thriller (incl. thriller 25) sold each year, beginning 1991. in the US?

some numbers i heart... 2007 128.935, 2008 around 800.000, 2009 around 1.100.000.

another question. there is soundscan, hits daily double. are there more? and why do they have different numbers?

GLOBAL SALES THIS WEEK: MJ SALES UP AGAIN

-This Is It climbed to #4 from #5 last week on the global album charts. The album is holding up very well, and sold another 268,000 copies this week.

-This Is It has now sold over 2,000,000 copies since it was released 5 weeks ago.

-MJ had no other Top 40 albums simply due to the 7 new releases this week and the 12+ releases the week before. He has major competition and every week new artists are dropping albums. The fact that This Is It is still staying in the Top 5 is incredible and proves MJ's huge global audience.

-Number Ones surged in sales from 30,000 last week to 45,000 this week (Up 50%). The album just narrowly missed the Top 40 but did make the Top 50.

-Sales of Thriller, Off The Wall, King Of Pop, Essential, Bad, Dangerous, and HIStory all increased this week between 10 and 60% (Mostly due to the US Thanksgiving holiday).

-Michael Jackson sold an astounding 480,000 albums this week, up from 410,000 last week (Up 17%).

-Total sales for the year now stand at 19.6 million, and will attempt to push past the astronomical 20 million figure next week.

*In other news, Susan Boyles album debuted at #1 as expected selling 1.3 million copies. Will she fall off dramatically or maintain the #1 spot next week?

Last edited:
can someone tell my how much thriller (incl. thriller 25) sold each year, beginning 1991. in the US?

some numbers i heart... 2007 128.935, 2008 around 800.000, 2009 around 1.100.000.

another question. there is soundscan, hits daily double. are there more? and why do they have different numbers?

Hits Daily D is not as big as Soundscan.,they are predicting more than providing real numbers , while Soundscan is covering big ground and has very accurate formula. But HDD is doing great job at the moment. These are the 2 main analysts that I know at the moment.
Stay connected you might find out how many albums MJ has sold those years.

By the way Smooth....,can you post the global numbers of MJ's album "Essential" so far this year......

By the way Smooth....,can you post the global numbers of MJ's album "Essential" so far this year......

You can find that number by looking at the first page of this thread. I believe it's around 2.5 million since MJ's death, so total 2009 numbers would be around 2.6 million.

**MJ's Solo Worldwide Sales 2009 - Updated figures below;

I have been keeping detailed records of MJ's album sales since his death, and my totals are as follows;

Thriller---------3,287,440
No. 1's ---------3,063,294
Essential -------2,545,517
This Is It -------2,013,000
Bad --------------1,69,660
King Of Pop -----1,694,296
Dangerous -------1,437,900
OTW ---------------1,407,130
Invincible -----------787,183
History ---------------724,182

Total since June 25th = 18,653,602

2009 total album sales= 19,253,602**

** (According to Billboard, MJ sales estimates for Jan-June 24th are 600,000 albums)

Surely, if we include all the 'missing' sales for other MJ solo albums, the total figure for 2009 must have exceeded 20 million?

If we then add on all the MJ+J5 and 'Jacksons' album sales, then we must be nearer 21-22 million sales.

I am convinced that these figures are accurate to within 2-3%, as I have used as many sources as possible to confirm. But if anyone thinks they have spotted any obvious errors, please let me know. :wink:

On Billboard 200 This Week MJ Has 7 albums on the list, plus another J-5 Album:

J-5 Christmas (#155)
Dangerous (#147)
Off The Wall (#115)
Thriller (#89)
Essential (#87)
Bad (#68)
Number Ones (#30)
This Is It (#11)

Is there a chance that Susan Boyles could have the best selling album of the year?
then
MJs would be no.3

number three? then, who would be number two? oh wait! are you reffering to the U.S only? I can't imagine anyone having higher record sales globally than mj right now.

Is there a chance that Susan Boyles could have the best selling album of the year?
then
MJs would be no.3

Susan Boyles album will end up selling about 2.8 to 3 million copies globally this year. Remember we only have 4 more reporting weeks in 2009. It will sell about 2.8 to 3 million copies but Jackson's Number Ones and Thriller will still be ahead.

Last edited:
yeah, it makes sense..., anyway... I am afraid of the next year..., it will be an empty space without Michael...., there is no project, no album..., just the sad anniversary...

^ not true. There are projects in the works for next year. Here a few my sources have told me:

1) THIS IS IT DVD Release On Jan 26th. This will tie in with the Grammy's and Sony is working with big box stores such as Wal-Mart and Best Buy, Target, etc to set up DVD stands in the aisles of the stores that will also have the This Is It CD. Expect sales for the CD to increase as well during this time period.

2) NEW ALBUM of material. MJ's comeback album will be released this year. It will contain music recorded between 2002 and 2009. I am told over 30 songs exist from this time period and the best 15 will be combined into an album with "several singles" which will be released globally including one coming out near MJ's birthday. Sony already has begun to compose a set list and is currently picking and choosing songs that will make the cut. Some songs will have producers working on them, while others will remain identical to how Mj left them. A release date is up in the air right now. The estate is pushing for an end of June release to coincide with the 1 year anniversary of MJ's death, or a August 29th release for MJ's b-day. Sony want's it earlier perhaps in March or April. Regardless, this new album will be huge and sell millions. Sony believes with proper marketing, MJ's new album could sell over 10 million copies globally and become the biggest selling album of 2010.

3) Cirque Du Soleil MJ style is currently in the planning stages. The estate is all for it I'm told and the details will be worked out with Branca and Mcclain. I am told the family is also pushing for this rather than the AEG Vegas act that has been proposed. I am told the family is trying to ditch AEG as they still don't trust them and would rather have MJ's name attached to the Cirque Du Soleil brand. Details will be announced in 2010 regarding the future of this project but I am told it will go ahead.

4) Jermaine's London Tribute Concert is being organized for June of 2010. My sources say there is doubt about the future of this, as half the family doesn't support it, there is a hard time getting artists to confirm, plus many in the Jackson circle feel Jermaine has "other motives". This one is a 50/50 right now.

5) More Merchandise! The estate is planning for a host of new merchandise to be released in 2010. New shirts, sweaters, pants, cologne, stuffed animals, games, etc will be released in MJ's name. Many will appear at your local shopping mall so keep your eyes out for these.

So remember, 2010 will still have plenty of MJ. It won't be as eventful as 2009 (it never will be, since the year of the actual death is always the biggest), but you can still expect tons of press, and releases for the fans.

^ not true. There are projects in the works for next year. Here a few my sources have told me:

1) THIS IS IT DVD Release On Jan 26th. This will tie in with the Grammy's and Sony is working with big box stores such as Wal-Mart and Best Buy, Target, etc to set up DVD stands in the aisles of the stores that will also have the This Is It CD. Expect sales for the CD to increase as well during this time period.

2) NEW ALBUM of material. MJ's comeback album will be released this year. It will contain music recorded between 2002 and 2009. I am told over 30 songs exist from this time period and the best 15 will be combined into an album with "several singles" which will be released globally including one coming out near MJ's birthday. Sony already has begun to compose a set list and is currently picking and choosing songs that will make the cut. Some songs will have producers working on them, while others will remain identical to how Mj left them. A release date is up in the air right now. The estate is pushing for an end of June release to coincide with the 1 year anniversary of MJ's death, or a August 29th release for MJ's b-day. Sony want's it earlier perhaps in March or April. Regardless, this new album will be huge and sell millions. Sony believes with proper marketing, MJ's new album could sell over 10 million copies globally and become the biggest selling album of 2010.

3) Cirque Du Soleil MJ style is currently in the planning stages. The estate is all for it I'm told and the details will be worked out with Branca and Mcclain. I am told the family is also pushing for this rather than the AEG Vegas act that has been proposed. I am told the family is trying to ditch AEG as they still don't trust them and would rather have MJ's name attached to the Cirque Du Soleil brand. Details will be announced in 2010 regarding the future of this project but I am told it will go ahead.

4) Jermaine's London Tribute Concert is being organized for June of 2010. My sources say there is doubt about the future of this, as half the family doesn't support it, there is a hard time getting artists to confirm, plus many in the Jackson circle feel Jermaine has "other motives". This one is a 50/50 right now.

5) More Merchandise! The estate is planning for a host of new merchandise to be released in 2010. New shirts, sweaters, pants, cologne, stuffed animals, games, etc will be released in MJ's name. Many will appear at your local shopping mall so keep your eyes out for these.

So remember, 2010 will still have plenty of MJ. It won't be as eventful as 2009 (it never will be, since the year of the actual death is always the biggest), but you can still expect tons of press, and releases for the fans.

Wow. I can't wait for the new music.

I have been waiting for this since like ever.

But I really hope that the producers or anyone working on it doesn't mess up the songs. I hope they are great.

Back