Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

Hey Smooth criminal05. How much do you suppose Invincible sold in total since its 2001 release?

JACKSON TOPS GLOBAL CHARTS AGAIN

-For the 2nd week in a row, MJ's THIS IS IT has topped the global charts, outselling Carrie Underwood's new album Play On. THIS IS IT sold 477,000 copies this week.

-Since it's release, THIS IS IT has sold 1,185,000 in countries that count music sales.

-Jackson's Number Ones album sold 41,000 copies this week (#28).

-Jackson's Thriller sold 36,000 copies this week and came in at #36.

-MJ sold another astounding 705,000 albums this week around the world!

-Total album sales since MJ's death stand at an amazing 18.2 million!

Last edited:
Smooth_Criminal05.,Do you have the real global sales figures of MJ albums "Invincible" and "HIStory" from 25th June to date.......I assume they are close to 1 million mark.

^^ HIStory is a bit over 600,000. Invincible is a bit over 750,000

Thanx......I appreciate it.
Are these numbers from your own estimations or from Mediatraffic...
And I wonder whether those 2 albums are available in the market right now.,like his best selling albums.

In my opinion, the well known web site mediatraffic is not correct, and they havent updated many artists, but especially Michael!!!!

Many important reports are not correct, there are inconsistencies...

http://www.mediatraffic.de/top-album-achievements.htm

Somebody should write them an e-mail and ask them for upgrading MJs (this year) record sales...

Last edited:
In my opinion, the well know web site mediatraffic is not correct, and they havent updated many artists, but especially Michael!!!!

Many important reports are not correct, there are inconsistencies...

http://www.mediatraffic.de/top-album-achievements.htm

Somebody should write them an e-mail and ask them for upgrading MJs (this year) record sales...

Yea. thats the one thing I don't like about that site. It only gives you sales info from a certin amount of countries.

Thus MJ is not #1 on some of their lists. That's also why they have Thriller at like 33 million sold.

But MJ should at LEAST be #2.

I will say this though, even though I clearly love Michael Jackson This Is It will in fact be it for me purchasing Michael compliation albums. I truly hope that smooth_criminal is right about new music coming out next year...I hope that we get that no name track as well.

Yea. thats the one thing I don't like about that site. It only gives you sales info from a certin amount of countries.

Thus MJ is not #1 on some of their lists. That's also why they have Thriller at like 33 million sold.

But MJ should at LEAST be #2.

Actually you are wrong.When they put next to an album lets say 1 that actually means that that album sold 2 million copies.That means that they put Thriller at 66 million copies sold not 33.

US SALES REMAIN STRONG

-This Is It is #4 in the US this week (this will be it's last week in the Top 10 as over half a dozen big releases come out this week).

-This Is It sold 123,000 copies taking it's grand US total to just shy of 700,000 copies since its release.

-Number Ones remained in the Top 20 selling 29,000+ copies.

-Thriller and Essential also made the Top 50 as well, giving MJ 4 albums in the US chart this week. (Thriller and Essential each sold roughly 12,000+)

-MJ has now sold over 6.8 million albums in the US since his death. This number will break though 7 million either next week or the week after.

-MJ has sold over 9 million digital downloads (songs) since his death in the US alone. This even beats Taylor Swift's record.

-Total album sales for this week were 215,000 down from 300,000 last week.

-I imagine sales will remain strong from the Thanksgiving weekend through New years eve as people are out shopping for the Christmas season.

I have hard time believing that he was that much in debt. With the Beatles catalog? That must bring in 100 mill. a year. I think it was just more slander from the media.

Does this figure for History count for each disc or each 2-disc package sold? Man I love that album.

I love your post. As I was reading a few paragraphs about Sugarland my eyes went crossed with boredom. I just can't find interest in anyone but Michael.

How can we come together as fans to help Michael outsell that little blond tart Taylor Swift this year for the #1 selling album of the year?

I have hard time believing that he was that much in debt. With the Beatles catalog? That must bring in 100 mill. a year. I think it was just more slander from the media.

everyone is talking about the beatles catalog... well what about his own catalogue? They are making it seem complete.they worthless

How can we come together as fans to help Michael outsell that little blond tart Taylor Swift this year for the #1 selling album of the year?

It's pretty much impossible now. Since Swift re-released Fearless it has been selling very well (outselling Number Ones by 3:1). By years end, Fearless will be far ahead of Number Ones. It would take something huge from Sony ($7 CD special at Wal-Mart for the whole month of December) for MJ to re-claim #1.

BTW SC can you please tell us MJ's worldwide total sales this week?

Hmm, I knew Taylor Swift's Fearless would regain the #1 spot of the year. But, SC, MJ is still the biggest selling artist of the year am I not correct?

Hmm, I knew Taylor Swift's Fearless would regain the #1 spot of the year. But, SC, MJ is still the biggest selling artist of the year am I not correct?

Yes you are correct. MJ will remain #1 for the best selling artist/band of 2009 in the US. Taylor Swift is 2nd while The Beatles are close behind. When all is said and done, MJ will have sold around 7.5 million albums in 2009 while Swift will not even have half those numbers.

Globally MJ is also the #1 act of 2009, when all is said and done MJ will have sold 20 million+ albums all around the world , The Beatles will be 2nd.

Taylor Swift really is no good.

Her talent is very overrated and if she wasn't sweet to look at, she would never had gotten herself a contract. Like Britney Spears, sorry, but IMO she has no real talent.

The kids love taylor swift. Plus, there are a lot of country music fans. She's like Miley. She captures the country audience and the pop audiences.

I wish Michael could still have the #1 selling album of 2009, but I won't knock Taylor because she works very hard and is a talented young lady.

Bottom Line: Michael Jackson sold more albums in 2009 than any artist on this planet bar none. It doesn't matter if you're in the US, Canada, UK, Australia, Japan, France, Germany, etc. MJ will be #1 this year.

Remember in addition to the 20 million+ albums, MJ will have also sold 20 million digital downloads/singles, 6-7 million DVD's, 2-3 million ringtones, and had a #1 box office movie all in one year. That in itself is amazing!

Back