Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

This Is It has hit No.1 in both the Netherlands and also New Zealand (where it has already achieved a Gold certification). It has also hit No.2 in Australia.

MICHAEL JACKSON'S US SALES SURGE THANKS TO THIS IS IT

-Jackson has the #1 album in the US this week, This Is It sold an estimated 373,000 copies in it's first week according to Billboard.

-Sales of Number Ones surged this week (up 24%), selling almost 32,000 copies.

-Sales of Thriller also increased (up 39%), selling over 17,000 copies.

-Sales of Essential increased (up 30%), selling over 14,800 copies.

-Other Jackson albums including Bad, Dangerous, Off The Wall, and Invincible also gained in sales.

-Total sales this week in the US were 500,000 (up 455%) from last weeks 90,000 figure.

-Jackson's catalogue has sold over 6.3 million albums in the US since his death.

Last edited:
MICHAEL JACKSON'S US SALES SURGE THANKS TO THIS IS IT

-Jackson has the #1 album in the US this week, This Is It sold an estimated 379,000 copies in it's first week. Billboard will verify these numbers tomorrow.

-Sales of Number Ones surged this week (up 24%), selling almost 32,000 copies.

-Sales of Thriller also increased (up 39%), selling over 17,000 copies.

-Sales of Essential increased (up 30%), selling over 14,800 copies.

-Other Jackson albums including Bad, Dangerous, Off The Wall, and Invincible also gained in sales.

-Total sales this week in the US were 500,000 (up 455%) from last weeks 90,000 figure.

-Jackson's catalogue has sold over 6.3 million albums in the US since his death.

Yay! What great news. :)

Thanks smooth_criminal05!

That's fantastic.

I wish MJ was here to celebrate with us.

Michael Jackson Hits No. 1 On Billboard 200 With 'This Is It'

To the surprise of probably nobody, Michael Jackson's "This Is It" will debut atop the Billboard 200 albums chart released today (Nov. 4) with an eye-popping 373,000 copies according to Nielsen SoundScan -- the fifth-best sales week for an album in the U.S. this year.

The companion album to the musical documentary film of the same name is Jackson's sixth No. 1 on the tally and it arrives with his best sales frame for an album since 1995's "HIStory" started atop the Billboard 200 with 391,000 copies..

http://www.billboard.com/news/micha...n-hits-no-1-on-billboard-200-1004032886.story

It's amazing it's almost like a whole new album release.,considering it's contain most of the songs which sold so hugely past months. 373,000 is a huge number.

Jackson had his best week in terms of overall album sales since July! Selling 500,000 albums in one week is amazing and finally pushed his post death sales over the 6 million mark. So far in 2009, Jackson has sold 6.6 million albums in the US alone.

Here's a look at some known worldwide sales of This Is It so far:

US: 373,000 (#1)
Japan: 73,700 (#1)
UK: 78,000 (#3)
Australia: 30,000 (#2)
Spain: 25,000 (#3)
Netherlands: unknown (#1)
Canada: 44,000 (#1)
Germany: Numbers will be released tomorrow
France: Numbers will be released tomorrow
Italy: Numbers will be released tomorrow

Right there, that is 620,000 confirmed sales of This Is It without information from Italy, France, Germany, and Netherlands plus any other country that reports music sales.

Final global numbers will be issued tomorrow (Thursday) night around 9pm Eastern time. Expect This Is It to sell over 700,000 alone with other Jackson albums making the top 40(Number Ones, Thriller, Essential, Bad). I am throwing a prediction out that over 1 million MJ albums will be sold globally this week alone.

Last edited:
TII will also be #1 in Denmark next week I guess. The danish chart is always a week behind, so the chart now available is without TII. Next week will be great.

GLOBAL ALBUM SALES SURGE THANKS TO THIS IS IT

-This Is It sold 708,000 copies around the world. (real # is higher but a good chunk of countries do not report album sales publicly).

-This Is It debuted at #1 on the global charts and went to the top spot in almost 20 nations around the world.

-This Is It is MJ's 3rd #1 on the global charts in 2009 (Number Ones and Thriller were the other two).

-Number Ones, Thriller, and Essential all made the Top 40 and all increased in sales from last week.

-Thriller has now sold 3.5 million albums globally in 2009. Number Ones has sold 3.2 million in 2009.

-All Jackson albums maintained or increased in sales from last week.

-Jackson sold 970,000 albums this week around the world up from 223,000 last week (up 335%).

-Total global album sales since June 25th now stand at 17.5 million!

GLOBAL ALBUM SALES SURGE THANKS TO THIS IS IT

-This Is It sold 708,000 copies around the world. (real # is higher but a good chunk of countries do not report album sales publicly).

-This Is It debuted at #1 on the global charts and went to the top spot in almost 20 nations around the world.

-This Is It is MJ's 3rd #1 on the global charts in 2009 (Number Ones and Thriller were the other two).

-Number Ones, Thriller, and Essential all made the Top 40 and all increased in sales from last week.

-Thriller has now sold 3.5 million albums globally in 2009. Number Ones has sold 3.2 million in 2009.

-All Jackson albums maintained or increased in sales from last week.

-Jackson sold 970,000 albums this week around the world up from 223,000 last week (up 335%).

-Total global album sales since June 25th now stand at 17.5 million!

That number is just staggering!

In this day and age, can artists still sell almost a million albums worldwide in one week?

He sells amazing.

Think about it, Thriller is the best selling album EVER! - Most people already have it. And still it sells better than most new albums. GREAT!!

And a new Greatest Hits package that contains only few new songs sells this good world-wide. Is'e simply MichaelMania all over again.

This week was Jackson's best sales since July. According to HDD and my own sources, This Is It will drop to #2 next week with sales of around 150,000 or a bit higher bringing total US sales for this album to 520,000+. Globally the album should sell about 350,000 copies next week bringing totals to over 1,000,000+

Jackson's total album sales should be enough to just break over the 18,000,000 mark next week.

Do you think it's possible for MJ to break the 20 million mark by the end of the year? (and yeah I know it's a bit of a stretch but..)

Do you think it's possible for MJ to break the 20 million mark by the end of the year? (and yeah I know it's a bit of a stretch but..)

It's very possible especially with the Christmas season approaching. We have eight (8) more weeks before the end of 2009. Jackson would have to sell an average of 312,500 albums per week to get to 20,000,000 by years end. It is certainly possible but we will have to see the performance of THIS IS IT plus Sony's Christmas promotion.

On another positive note, This Is It has now earned $186 million globally, pulling in an additional $14 million in the US and $29 million in foreign markets (for a total of $43 million) this weekend. I imagine by Thursday or Friday, global numbers will cross the $200 million mark with an eventual total gross of $250 million by the time the film exits theaters at the end of the month.

US numbers are currently at $57.9 million (only $8 million away from toppling Miley Cyrus' record). I imagine by this coming weekend, Jackson will smash through this record and officially claim the US' #1 concert movie (he has already done this globally by a long shot).

On another positive note, This Is It has now earned $186 million globally, pulling in an additional $14 million in the US and $29 million in foreign markets (for a total of $43 million). I imagine by Thursday or Friday, global numbers will cross the $200 million mark with an eventual total gross of $250 million by the time the film exits theaters at the end of the month.

Genuine question, how much of that money will go to Michael's estate and onto his children?

This Is It, in my opinion, was released so that the concert promotors, insurance companies, and all those who funded the concerts got some form of "return" after Michael passed away.

I don't mean to be cynical, and I love what I've seen of This Is It in clips, but I cannot bring myself to pay for something about Michael that will not go to Michael. It's just how I feel.

I'm not being ignorant enough to demand people boycott the movie, like some have, I just personally could not justify paying to see a movie that only launched because Michael died and has been launched to recoup lost funds, disguised as a "final glimpse" for fans.

I'll probably rent it from iTunes when it comes out to buy/rent.

The movie will make $250 million from theaters then between $150-200 million from DVD sales. The estate will end up with millions from this project or they would not have agreed to let it go ahead.

BEST SELLING ALBUMS OF 2009 IN USA AS OF NOVEMBER 3RD, 2009:

Michael Jackson's "Number Ones": 2,033,000

Taylor Swift's "Fearless": 2,030,147
---------

(LATEST WEEKLY CHART) MJ still has the "best selling album of 09" so far, but Taylor Swift, who has the "second best selling album", isn't too far behind. She is behind MJ by only about 3,000 albums!!!!

Genuine question, how much of that money will go to Michael's estate and onto his children?

This Is It, in my opinion, was released so that the concert promotors, insurance companies, and all those who funded the concerts got some form of "return" after Michael passed away.

90% of all earnings... by AEG live contract.

let taylor swift enjoy her success and become #1. That is completely unimportant since MJ is still the best selling artist of 09.

Jackson has sold just a bit over 6.5 million albums in the US and 9 million digital downloads in 2009.

How do you know all of this?

EDIT: i'm not discrediting you BTW I just want to know where you get your info. Your predictions seem pretty spot on as well... are you an analyst/journalist?

^^ I get my numbers from RIAA, HDD, Billbaord, plus other media articles. I have been keeping a detailed track each week of Jackson's sales both globally and in the US. I am very confident my numbers are extremely close (within 1%) to the actual figures. I do have some experience with advertising/sales and marketing which helps with my predictions as well.

so whats his total sales including everything since he died

AS OF NOV 10, TAYLOR SWIFT HAS BEATEN MICHAEL!

BEST SELLING ALBUMS OF 2009 IN THE USA:
Taylor Swift - "Fearless": 2,097,252
Michael Jackson - "Number Ones": 2,065,700

JACKSON HAS ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL US WEEK:

-Michael Jackson's THIS IS IT soundtrack followed the movie to #2 on the music charts selling over 200,000 copies and exceeded expectations. This is very impressive for a second week!

-Total two week sales in the US for THIS IS IT now stand at 575,000 copies!

-Number Ones sold over 32,000 copies this week securing a Top 20 position. Total sales are over 2,000,000 since Jackson's death for this album.

-Number Ones drops to #2 in the race for 2009's best selling album, losing to Taylor Swift's Fearless.

-Jackson's Essential album also made the Top 50, selling 13,500 copies.

-Jackson sold 300,000 albums this week in the US (down from 500,000 copies) the week before.

-MJ's total US sales since his death are now over 6.6 million and will easily topple 7 million by years end.

-

^^ Great news about the TII soundtrack! Boo-hoo to being second to Taylor though. Nothing against Taylor, but it's obvious her record company did that to put her back at #1.

Thanks for the news!

Great News Guys;

Billboard to add catalog albums to BB 200 chart:
Billboard announced today that starting later this month, its flagship Billboard 200 chart will reflect comprehensive sales of all albums, old and new.
To understand the changed rules, think back to the awkward chart situation that followed Michael Jackson’s death this past summer. Sales of his work immediately skyrocketed, and for six non-consecutive weeks, his greatest-hits set Number Ones was the best-selling album in the U.S. Yet since it was more than 18 months old, Number Ones‘ sales weren’t counted for the Billboard 200. It was instead relegated to lesser-seen charts like Top Comprehensive Albums and Top Pop Catalog Albums, while lower-selling new releases like Sugarland’s Live on the Inside topped the the Billboard 200. A similar fate befell the Beatles’ reissued albums, several of which would have qualified for Top 10 spots on the Billboard 200 this fall if they weren’t so old.

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/11/10/michael-jackson-beatles-billboard-chart/

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i603a2426afda5aaafb64750aacecd192

Back