Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

Thanks to joemjni1 from news section. Our man have jumped this week significantly: Number Ones from 21 to 7 and Thriller from 44 to 24. :punk:

http://hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi
LAST UPDATE: 10/20/2009 12:50:29
NOW IN: FINAL

Oops! I just saw this. Thanks for the update:

NEW US NUMBERS RELEASED: JACKSON IS BACK IN TOP 10

-Due to high media coverage last week (This Is It single, Kenny Ortega's Oprah Appearance, etc), Jackson's catalogue sales increased this week.

-Sales of Thriller surged 56% from last week and edged up to #24 from #44 last week. (that's a gain of 20 spots on the US charts). The album sold over 20,000 copies.

-Number Ones also experienced a sales boom of 48% over last week. This allowed the album to re-appear in the Top 10 at #7 (compared to #21 last week). Number Ones sold close to 39,000 copies.

-Overall album sales were 116,000 this week, up from 89,000 the week before. (Remember, the week before Jackson's death his entire catalogue sold 10,000 copies so sales are still up over 10 fold).

-Total album sales in the US since Jackson's death now stand at 5.73 million.

:blush:

HDD numbers were inacurrate

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/ch...ding-oct-18-2009-taylor-swifts-minor-miracle/

Michael Jackson's Number Ones tops the Catalog Albums chart for the 15th time in the past 17 weeks. The collection sold 24,000 copies this week and would have slipped from #9 to #17 on the big chart if catalog albums were eligible to compete there. The This Is It soundtrack will enter The Billboard 200 in two weeks.

Last edited:
HDD numbers were inacurrate

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/ch...ding-oct-18-2009-taylor-swifts-minor-miracle/

Michael Jackson's Number Ones tops the Catalog Albums chart for the 15th time in the past 17 weeks. The collection sold 24,000 copies this week and would have slipped from #9 to #17 on the big chart if catalog albums were eligible to compete there. The This Is It soundtrack will enter The Billboard 200 in two weeks.

HDD seems to be a week behind with their numbers. Neilsen Soundscan reported bigger sales last week for Jackson's catalogue, while HDD had lower sales. This week it's reversed.

MICHAEL JACKSON'S GLOBAL SALES DOWN:

-Sales of MJ albums fell drastically this week after a boost last week. Jackson only had 1 album in the top 40 which was Thriller. (It sold 38,000 copies).

-Total albums sold were 220,000 down from 320,000 the week before.

-Total albums sold since Jackson's death now stand at 16.4 million globally.

-Next week I imagine sales will increase as we approach Halloween and This Is It buildup is in full swing.

Thanks to Michael there was 14.2 million who watched last episode of "Dancing With The Stars" which contributed to sales, in the next episode Taylor Swift will be the guest star and I believe that someone desperately wanted to put her on the show, Taylor’s and MJ’s albums are very close in sales. I hope his promotional interviews, movie, publicity, etc… all will result in increasing sales.

Thanks to Michael there was 14.2 million who watched last episode of "Dancing With The Stars" which contributed to sales, in the next episode Taylor Swift will be the guest star and I believe that someone desperately wanted to put her on the show, Taylor’s and MJ’s albums are very close in sales. I hope his promotional interviews, movie, publicity, etc… all will result in increasing sales.

Definitely, there is "the Swift agenda" :scratch:

But who will remember her in 10 years? :D

Anyway, This Is It will be a chart booster.

“This Is It” debuted at #19 on Billboards Adult Contemporary Chart:

http://www.billboard.com/news/colum...story#/charts/adult-contemporary?order=gainer

From Billboard news:

'THIS' LOVE: " This Is It," by Michael Jackson featuring the Jacksons, soars onto the Adult Contemporary airplay chart at No. 19. The song blasts in following its initial week at radio.

"This Is It" returns the Jackson brothers to the chart for the first time since 1970, when, billed as the Jackson 5, the group notched its sole previous entry, the No. 24-peaking "I'll Be There."

The late King of Pop ends a 13-year, seven-month and two-week absence from the chart. His last prior entry, the No. 7-peaking "You Are Not Alone," wrapped a 26-week run on the list dated March 16, 1996.

Jackson first appeared on the chart dated Nov. 20, 1971 (at age 13). "This Is It" is his 26th charted Adult Contemporary title, 12 of which have reached the top 10. Two rose to No. 1: 1982's "The Girl Is Mine," with Paul McCartney, and 1987's "I Just Can't Stop Loving You."

Jackson becomes the seventh male artist to score a top 20 Adult Contemporary hit in each decade since the '70s, joining McCartney, Eric Clapton, Elton John, Kenny Loggins, Rod Stewart and James Taylor.

Among all artists, the seven male singers are joined in achieving the feat by four women (Cher, Natalie Cole, Bette Midler and Carly Simon), three groups (Chicago, the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac) and one duo (Daryl Hall & John Oates).

Just as they're linked through their 1978 smash duet "You Don't Bring Me Flowers," Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand each have a chance at uncharted chart territory. Having each reached the top 20 in every decade from the '60s through the '90s - but not, as yet, in the '00s - Diamond and Streisand could become the only artists to earn top 20 Adult Contemporary entries in each decade dating to the list's 1961 launch. They have eight chart weeks to do so before the end of the year.

Though they've each just released new albums separately, perhaps Columbia Records could pair the legends once again. Considering that a majority of adult contemporary stations will soon flip to all-holiday music, the right seasonal duet could simultaneously give the superstars the gift of chart history.

SHE'S COUNTRY: Michael Jackson's entrance on Adult Contemporary isn't the chart's only highlight. Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me" rises 2-1 to unseat Miley Cyrus' "The Climb" after 15 weeks at the summit.

With the coronation, Swift becomes the first artist to propel two former No. 1s on Country Songs to the top of Adult Contemporary since the latter chart converted to Nielsen BDS monitored data in 1993.

Here are the six songs to lead both lists in that span:

Shania Twain, "You're Still the One" (1998)
Faith Hill, "Breathe" (2000)
Lee Ann Womack, "I Hope You Dance" (2001)
Rascal Flatts, "What Hurts the Most" (2006-07)
Taylor Swift, "Love Story" (2008-09)
Taylor Swift, "You Belong With Me" (2009)

More: http://www.billboard.com/news/chart-beat-wednesday-michael-jackson-taylor-1004029017.story#

Jackson has sold 5.9 million albums in the US so far in 2009. Jackson's sales will be significantly higher through the next 3-4 weeks as This Is It fever is in full swing. Billboard chart experts were quoted in a recent media report as saying This Is It soundtrack will only sell 200,000 to 500,000 copies total. (Why would Sony ship 1,500,000 albums in the US if they only expected to sell 200,000). Billboard is seriously out of whack. I think they are seriously under estimating the sales. It is my opinion, that the soundtrack will sell over 150,000 copies in the first week alone with eventual total sales of over 1,000,000 (US figures). I guess we will see who is right. Regardless, I expect MJ's catalogue sales will be very high through November. That 5.9 million figure is going to rise even more!

Also, it's worth noting that for 2009, Jackson is #1 in the US for the most albums sold and he is leading by huge numbers. Number two (#2) is Taylor Swift who has sold 2.3 million albums this year. This was backed up by Nielsen Soundscan. I estimate by years end, Swift will finish with about 2.8 million while Jackson will end with about 6.5 million. So don't worry about anybody overtaking that record, MJ has it in the bag!

Last edited:
Is there a chart that follow MJ's total sales for CDs, DVDs and digital downloads total money globally?

I have a feeling that the This Is It soundtrack isn't only going to do moderate numbers purely because there are plenty of greatest hits compilations that are out there already. I don't think it will manage 1 million copies in the US although I would like to be proved wrong.

Jackson has sold 5.9 million albums in the US so far in 2009. Jackson's sales will be significantly higher through the next 3-4 weeks as This Is It fever is in full swing. Billboard chart experts were quoted in a recent media report as saying This Is It soundtrack will only sell 200,000 to 500,000 copies total. (Why would Sony ship 1,500,000 albums in the US if they only expected to sell 200,000). Billboard is seriously out of whack. I think they are seriously under estimating the sales. It is my opinion, that the soundtrack will sell over 150,000 copies in the first week alone with eventual total sales of over 1,000,000 (US figures). I guess we will see who is right. Regardless, I expect MJ's catalogue sales will be very high through November. That 5.9 million figure is going to rise even more!

Also, it's worth noting that for 2009, Jackson is #1 in the US for the most albums sold and he is leading by huge numbers. Number two (#2) is Taylor Swift who has sold 2.3 million albums this year. This was backed up by Nielsen Soundscan. I estimate by years end, Swift will finish with about 2.8 million while Jackson will end with about 6.5 million. So don't worry about anybody overtaking that record, MJ has it in the bag!

As far as I know what Billboard says is 200,000 to 500,000 first week sales.,not total sales. According to their estimation This Is It is going to be the #1 album of the week. Like I said before I expect more than 350,000 in first week.
I think it probably and will go pass your estimations smooth_criminal05....

And by the way some experts expect This Is It movie to earn around $600 million in global sales. If it achieve this, it will be among the worldwide top 5 list in 2009. That's a precious list to be on.

And by the way some experts expect This Is It movie to earn around $600 million in global sales. If it achieve this, it will be among the worldwide top 5 list in 2009. That's a precious list to be on.

It would be great if the movie earns $600 million at the box office but I think that figure is a bit too ambitious purely because the film doesn't have same kind of appeal as a typical blockbuster movie like Transformers, Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter. I do think the movie will do well though and if the word of mouth is good I wouldn't be surprised if it manages to do between $300-400 million.

It would be great if the movie earns $600 million at the box office but I think that figure is a bit too ambitious purely because the film doesn't have same kind of appeal as a typical blockbuster movie like Transformers, Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter. I do think the movie will do well though and if the word of mouth is good I wouldn't be surprised if it manages to do between $300-400 million.

I agree. That is over the top, they might expect it to go $150-250 million for someone who is not in the movie business. Deep inside, I wish it will break records, but let’s be realistic.

Well, I haven't seen any of these 3 movies you mentioned. My friends either. But we're planning to see TII more than once.

If Sony wants to achieve those numbers ($600 mil) they have to let the movie run it's course. Specially if they can't release the DVD for the Holidays, might as well let the movie in the theatre thru out.

I have a feeling that the This Is It soundtrack isn't only going to do moderate numbers purely because there are plenty of greatest hits compilations that are out there already. I don't think it will manage 1 million copies in the US although I would like to be proved wrong.

In new media reports Billboard chart experts are predicting the new album This Is It could sell between 200,000 and 300,000 albums in the first week. I think this is on the high end, but it is possible! I believe with millions of Americans watching the movie in the theaters, there will be many who will want the album as a collectable or just for the songs. A million copies is guaranteed to be sold. Sony shipped 1.5 million in the states for the initial shipments. They won't let it just sit there. Mark my words, this album will go platinum.

In new media reports Billboard chart experts are predicting the new album This Is It could sell between 200,000 and 300,000 albums in the first week. I think this is on the high end, but it is possible! I believe with millions of Americans watching the movie in the theaters, there will be many who will want the album as a collectable or just for the songs. A million copies is guaranteed to be sold. Sony shipped 1.5 million in the states for the initial shipments. They won't let it just sit there. Mark my words, this album will go platinum.

I hope it does. Its just that there are already so many greatest hits compilations that are on the market already and especially with Number Ones continuing to do so well that I'm not sure the This Is It CD will make as much as a dent as Sony would like. Many fans are not going to buy this since they already own most of the songs several times over. I do think the first weeks figures will be high but I do expect it to drop really quickly after that.

I hope many fans WILL buy the CD I know I will.

I can not pretend however that I'm not VERY if not extremely disappointed with disc 2. I think 4 songs are way too little. They should have given us more than that.

BUT - I will but both versions of the CD, and I hope it will sell great all around the world. Hopefully it will go platinum in many countries!

also remember that "This Is It" is a 2 disk album which means it will be counted as double by the RIAA.

Recent update on HitsDD not very good. Taylor Swift jumped to #4 with 'Fearless' and Michael dropped to #7. Still getting updates but not sure how accurate they are.

According to Hits Daily Double, Jackson's THIS IS IT soundtrack is poised for #1 next week, with first week sales of 300,000 to 350,000 in the US alone. Those numbers are in the same range as Invincible. The fact that Jackson could sell this much from an album composed of 80% already released material is amazing. For instance, the Twilight New Moon soundtrack sold about half in it's debut week.

US SALES THIS WEEK:

-Jackson sold 90,000 albums in the US last week according to Hits Daily Double.

-Jackson had 3 albums in the Top 40 including Number Ones, Thriller, and Essential

-Jackson has sold 5.82 million albums since his death in the US so far!

-Expect big sales this week coming. Billboard predicts Jackson's THIS IS IT Soundtrack will debut at #1 in the US with sales of over 300,000!

-Expect other albums to also surge in sales, specifically Thriller!

Back